Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

bladeworksmaster posted:

Is that the same one where he claims all horror games can't be scary due to game mechanics?

I don't know, I'm just talking about the one posted last page from a stream of his, where the chat says that Pyramid Head dies because James finally remembers and accepts what he did and Anderson goes "lol no he died cause I hit him with a sword."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The ending to Anderson's NMS video is amazing.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Alacron posted:

I don't know, I'm just talking about the one posted last page from a stream of his, where the chat says that Pyramid Head dies because James finally remembers and accepts what he did and Anderson goes "lol no he died cause I hit him with a sword."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XmbrnirD0s

"At the end of Silent Hill 1, I just shot all my bullets wantonly at demon thing, and then I won the game, which is either representative of how conservation is stupid, or representative that I'm not very good at the game and Team Silent took that into consideration." (I forget exactly how that whole thing worked; it's been a while since read about it)

I didn't watch his review of Super Mario Odyssey, but from what people said, his point of contention was about the huge number of moons and how much of them seemed just placed without much thought. Something that someone pointed out about Odyssey in response, though (which is something that never occurred to me, and I think is really interesting) is that Odyssey's content seems to be designed around the Switch being a portable console, meaning that it's set up so that you can seek out moons in short sessions, rather than trying to marathon through an entire world (I've heard Breath of the Wild is meant to be played like this as well). Likewise, the moons/moon challenges are given a great range of difficulty (from doing simple, easy tasks in the world to completing difficult platforming bits), meaning that both novice and expert players have ways to collect the necessary number of moons in the way they want to reach the end of the game.

Another thing I remember someone in the previous thread saying (don't remember exactly how they put it, and I can't find the post) is that Anderson's approach is sort of comparable to the kind of person who, if ordering a meal in a restaurant, would check the quantity of portions they were served in relations to how much they cost to see if they were getting scammed. I know that's probably not the right way of putting it, but it's that in some cases, he tends to have a "see the forest for the trees" type of mindset when it comes to criticism.

That's also what I'd say about his reaction to Silent Hill 2, but at the same time, I also think maybe the issue is that he went into with different expectations.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Anderson Is pretty shoddy overall I’ve found. He speaks like a high schooler would while giving a speech, his videos are excessively long (like jesus christ did this Fallout one have to be an hour +) and doesn’t know how to thread his arguments together in a coherent manner, constantly meandering and getting sidetracked rather than getting to the point.

He’s also in this weird position of being just simply too good at games, it’s almost impossible to trust his view on a games difficulty and how it affects the overall feeling for the player because he’s so technically proficient ( when he was talking about Hollow Knight and it’s difficulty while just absolutely destroying the challenge mode bosses, it just undermined everything he was saying about it being average difficulty). How can you trust that his read on the game is one that most people are going to experience when he just dismantles any difficult roadblock with ease.

Plus he thinks the Bloodborne chalice dungeons were the best part of the game and he wants more of it, which I personally just don’t get. They strip down the atmosphere, the extremely tight and well thought out level design, the environmental storytelling(for the most part) and all you’re left with is randomized dungeons and the combat. Boggles my mind how anyone could find those grindfests the best part of the game, even if you focus on just the mechanics the way he does.

I think in general I just find him to be a poor Mathewmattosis imitation, where he only occasionally has something decent to say in those 3 hour videos yet somehow got really popular off of it.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 3, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Asuron posted:

He’s also in this weird position of being just simply too good at games, it’s almost impossible to trust his view on a games difficulty and how it affects the overall feeling for the player because he’s so technically proficient ( when he was talking about Hollow Knight and it’s difficulty while just absolutely destroying the challenge mode bosses, it just undermined everything he was saying about it being average difficulty). How can you trust that his read on the game is one that most people are going to experience when he just dismantles any difficult roadblock with ease.

I'm playing through Hollow Knight at the moment and yeah, I'm finding it a shitload harder than he was.

The only bit that went the other way is that I never use the the compass charm and think it's a waste of a slot but he thinks it should have been mandatory.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Asuron posted:

Anderson Is pretty shoddy overall I’ve found. He speaks like a high schooler would while giving a speech, his videos are excessively long (like jesus christ did this Fallout one have to be an hour +) and doesn’t know how to thread his arguments together in a coherent manner, constantly meandering and getting sidetracked rather than getting to the point.

Plus he thinks the Bloodborne chalice dungeons were the best part of the game and he wants more of it, which I personally just don’t get. They strip down the atmosphere, the extremely tight and well thought out level design, the environmental storytelling(for the most part) and all you’re left with is randomized dungeons and the combat. Boggles my mind how anyone could find those grindfests the best part of the game, even if you focus on just the mechanics the way he does.

I think in general I just find him to be a poor Mathewmattosis imitation, where he only occasionally has something decent to say in those 3 hour videos yet somehow got really popular off of it.

I think most of his popularity is from criticizing Breath of the Wild when everybody would just not shut up about how it's a revolution in video games.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Roth posted:

I think most of his popularity is from criticizing Breath of the Wild when everybody would just not shut up about how it's a revolution in video games.

I don't remember it working out quite that way for Jim Sterling. :p

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Asuron posted:

This is how I felt about his Ringed City video. At this point he's so good at Dark Souls that the only thing that spins his burger is the most excessive part of the series.

His main issue is that he needs to chill on the completionism, though his complete inability to read a game like Silent Hill 2 is a pretty huge weakness that I think just doesn't come up as much in his work because he rarely if ever engages with games in that way in his videos.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Anderson is a wanker after he doubled down on his Odyssey video and claiming everyone but him is wrong.

Good completionism: Playing through each route in FO4 to see that there is basically zero difference

Bad completionism: Going out of your way to collect literally everything in a game that places significantly more items then needed just to ensure people of every skill level can beat the game, then complaining about doing it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Roth posted:

Ah, so he’s popular for being wrong

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Roth posted:

At least on the Chan boards that’s absolutely the case, they’ll flaunt him all over, similar to MauLer’s 9 hour series on DS2, cause he “owned the Nintenyearolds”, as they put it. Not because he made good points or anything, but because he made a 2-3 hour video on why it’s not good actually, it’s definitive proof you can’t like it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bladeworksmaster posted:

At least on the Chan boards that’s absolutely the case, they’ll flaunt him all over, similar to MauLer’s 9 hour series on DS2, cause he “owned the Nintenyearolds”, as they put it. Not because he made good points or anything, but because he made a 2-3 hour video on why it’s not good actually, it’s definitive proof you can’t like it.

I'm glad the Chans still hew to their fiercely independent spirit of being told what to think.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Dawgstar posted:

I'm glad the Chans still hew to their fiercely independent spirit of being told what to think.

The only rule is that you must hate everything ever and only think things are getting worse.

I got bored with their tedious contrarianism years ago and now just use them for :filez:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

This isn't exactly a fair criticism on account of being an extremely wishy-washy statement, but Anderson's videos never really manage to hold my interest when they're generally on subjects I am already interested in, compared to, say, how engaged I am with Jon Bois' videos despite my complete lack of interest in American sports and/or charts.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

The only rule is that you must hate everything ever and only think things are getting worse.

I got bored with their tedious contrarianism years ago and now just use them for :filez:

But I already work American Retail :smith:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Leal posted:

Its less "omg this sucks and I hate my life" and more "water is a poo poo tier beverage, waterf*gs btfo"

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Was there a funny response to/review of that 9+ hour response to Hbomberguy's Dark Souls 2 defense?

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

https://youtu.be/BfZTY1Cjt20

Watched the Geek Critique’s video on Sonic ‘06 recently and found the end portion particularly interesting when I thought about it. Has there been a game like Sonic ‘06 that has so thoroughly poisoned every facet of its franchise’s past, present and future? Even Metroid Other M, which granted poisoned Fusion for a lot of folks, isn’t remotely in the same ballpark of franchise killing as this for me, and I’m curious to hear what you guys think.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

What kind of :filez:? Any retro software/PS1 emulation stuff?

Leal posted:

I managed to get out of retail, and I still think everything's bad and getting worse. :sigh:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Scholtz posted:

Was there a funny response to/review of that 9+ hour response to Hbomberguy's Dark Souls 2 defense?
I don't remember if it deals with that video in particular, but this goes into some detail about just how dumb that guy's multi-hour long farts are:

https://youtu.be/GjCEaE5kvb4

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

I don't remember if it deals with that video in particular, but this goes into some detail about just how dumb that guy's multi-hour long farts are:

It does not deal with that one in particular.

BoxFullOfBats has a video on it, though he's a newcomer and it shows in the video. It does include an appearance by HBomb in which he goes over how his video was primarily about highlighting underappreciated things about DS2, to explain why he doesn't spend more of the video repeating common criticisms about the game.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Mr Phillby posted:

Ah yeah, this is it. I know because I went to go add it to my "Watch Later" and it was already there, whoops!

Thanks!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

bladeworksmaster posted:

Watched the Geek Critique’s video on Sonic ‘06 recently and found the end portion particularly interesting when I thought about it. Has there been a game like Sonic ‘06 that has so thoroughly poisoned every facet of its franchise’s past, present and future? Even Metroid Other M, which granted poisoned Fusion for a lot of folks, isn’t remotely in the same ballpark of franchise killing as this for me, and I’m curious to hear what you guys think.

I think that the only other game that poisoned it's franchise in such a way was Duke Nukem Forever. Sonic did have that one-two punch of Shadow and Sonic 06 but they'll always have Sonic fans whining about how Sonic haters are just picking on them and not heaping praise on poo poo like SATAM and the comics.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Max Wilco posted:

What kind of :filez:? Any retro software/PS1 emulation stuff?

I managed to get out of retail, and I still think everything's bad and getting worse. :sigh:

possibly but mostly just pdfs of trad games books (d&d, warhammer, etc.)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

possibly but mostly just pdfs of trad games books (d&d, warhammer, etc.)

I was wanting to look for old Warhammer books a while ago, so I guess I could just scope out the torrent board (or wherever you look for the stuff) and see what I find.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Shadow is an amazing game if only for the ending bits that are clearly unfinished including about thirty minutes of in engine cutscene where characters barely move and all the voice actors have clearly checked out, because who the gently caress is going to play shadow the hedgehog 16 times to unlock this content? The answer is me, I played through that game 16 times to get the "true ending" and it was transcendentally bad.A thing of beauty.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mr Phillby posted:

Amusingly, that prompted an hours-long response by Mauler and friends, which led to Jack and Eric doing their own hours-long response, which turned out to be OVER TEN HOURS.

Which I tried watching, but too much of the length is Mauler and friends being entirely insufferable and completely missing every point ever.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Testekill posted:

I think that the only other game that poisoned it's franchise in such a way was Duke Nukem Forever. Sonic did have that one-two punch of Shadow and Sonic 06 but they'll always have Sonic fans whining about how Sonic haters are just picking on them and not heaping praise on poo poo like SATAM and the comics.

Those people are also in their early to mid 30s now so their memories of SatAM and the comics come from when they like 7 years old so they're coated in the golden haze of childhood nostalgia no matter how good or bad they might have been at the time (and SatAM was still pretty frickin good for its time).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

Amusingly, that prompted an hours-long response by Mauler and friends, which led to Jack and Eric doing their own hours-long response, which turned out to be OVER TEN HOURS.

Which I tried watching, but too much of the length is Mauler and friends being entirely insufferable and completely missing every point ever.

So they made an nearly-hour long video criticizing the six-hour long critiques Mauler does, which in turn resulted in Mauler and company doing their own response to said video which ended up being however long, which resulted in them making a response video to said response video which ended up being ten hours long.

Now granted, the 'response videos' seems to just be said party watch the other party's video, only to pause it every so often and chatting with each other, stretching the run-time out, but there's something deeply ironic about saying that long critique isn't deep, then putting out ten hours worth of combing through the said response to the response.

Then again, I get the impression that's :thejoke:, in which case, it seems like a very time-consuming way to come up with a retort.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Your smiley was 100% correct. That's the joke.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Augus posted:

Ah, so he’s popular for being wrong

that's my job leave me alone

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

when's the prequel video

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Testekill posted:

i feel like DNF didn't really poison because there wasn't really a franchise left to poison by the time it came out. like everyone knew it was gonna blow by that point especially with gearbox in the drivers seat.

it also came out before Bethesda started publishing reinventions of Classic FPS with Doom 2016 and the Wofenstein games that were good in different ways while remaining true to their roots.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

Please do a group stream of Kingdom Hearts 3.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

bladeworksmaster posted:

mass effect andromeda killed mass effect

and honestly while sonic 06 was indeed a really awful game, let's be real here: it was preceded by the really bad sonic heroes and the rather poo poo sonic adventure games, and was succeeded by a bunch of other really bad games as well, one of which was actually worse than 06. really the only good sonic game of the last 25 years was generations. 06 might have made it clear that sonic as a franchise was in the gutter, but it's not like it was some enormous fall from grace or an unexpected catastrophe. generations actually being good was a fuckin hell of a lot more shocking than sonic 06 being so, so bad.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 3, 2019

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Andromeda was also preceded by the very bad ME3.

Also both Sonic Mania and Colors were good games.

edit:I said sonic boom when i meant sonic mania. Please forgive me

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 4, 2019

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Those people are also in their early to mid 30s now so their memories of SatAM and the comics come from when they like 7 years old so they're coated in the golden haze of childhood nostalgia no matter how good or bad they might have been at the time (and SatAM was still pretty frickin good for its time).

Having revisited SatAM and the comics as an adult, they're not transcendent experiences for all ages, but they're still great kid stuff. SatAM more than the comics, which tend to vary according to who's writing and what Sega mandated this week.

At least the old comics; I have no idea what the hell's going on these days.

Max Wilco posted:

So they made an nearly-hour long video criticizing the six-hour long critiques Mauler does, which in turn resulted in Mauler and company doing their own response to said video which ended up being however long, which resulted in them making a response video to said response video which ended up being ten hours long.

Now granted, the 'response videos' seems to just be said party watch the other party's video, only to pause it every so often and chatting with each other, stretching the run-time out, but there's something deeply ironic about saying that long critique isn't deep, then putting out ten hours worth of combing through the said response to the response.

Then again, I get the impression that's :thejoke:, in which case, it seems like a very time-consuming way to come up with a retort.

My impression is it's a combo of :thejoke: and the fact that Team Mauler refuse to listen to anything if it doesn't also include the entirety of the original somehow.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Generations the only good Sonic game of the last 25 years? I think Sonic Mania might want to have a word...

Anyway, Driv3r is one I'd definitely nominate. Sure, San Francisco came out years later and was pretty drat good but Driver was a pretty big deal until that absolute dog of a game dropped.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I wonder if this Mauler guy makes really long videos so he can put more ads in them :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

Andromeda was also preceded by the very bad ME3.

ME3 had Tuchanka, Citadel, Javik, the best gameplay of the series and a kick-arse multiplayer mode.

There is a bunch wrong with it but it's legitimately got some of the best bits of the series.