Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

the fact that you can finally make a purple herb combo for the first time makes this GOTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Momomo posted:

I just finished Claire B a little while ago. I have many thoughts but my main one at the moment is that there were a bizarre amount of blue herbs in a game where only one enemy seems to be able to poison you. I didn't get poisoned at all as Leon, and it felt like they just straight up forgot to include the mechanic until I got in the sewer as Claire.

Chugging a red/blue or red/blue/green herb combo will also give you damage resistance and massive poison resistance, which you can track via a little icon in the bottom right corner of the screen.

Story question: when exactly is Sherry implanted by William? Is it supposed to be in the orphanage or after she runs off post-lift crash? It's not entirely clear - it's also not hugely relevant, just something of an "Uh, when did that happen?" Moment.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Bonaventure posted:

Blue + red (+ green optional) causes a temporary defense buff; that's mostly what they're there for.
I would've liked to have seen poison expanded on but it's also accurate to the original where there's like 4 or 5 enemies total that can poison you.

I did this every so often and suspected it might actually do this, but I thought from the description that it was only protecting you against poison. I didn't really get hit enough times while it was active to compare the damage. That's kind of another minor thing I guess, I noticed the descriptions for the weapon upgrades were kind of vague, and I could only tell what they did after I had attached them.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

DeadButDelicious posted:

Chugging a red/blue or red/blue/green herb combo will also give you damage resistance and massive poison resistance, which you can track via a little icon in the bottom right corner of the screen.

Story question: when exactly is Sherry implanted by William? Is it supposed to be in the orphanage or after she runs off post-lift crash? It's not entirely clear - it's also not hugely relevant, just something of an "Uh, when did that happen?" Moment.

In the original RE2, I think it's when she gets seperated from Claire in the sewers, so I'm assuming sometime around then.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just had another idea. Someone has to make a montage of Sherry's section with the music switched to The Great Escape theme like when Maggie freed all the pacifiers in the daycare

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm grateful for what Evil Within 2 did to the RE4 formula. Upgrades are shared across weapons, whereas in RE4 there's nothing worth upgrading until you get the Red9. The currencies for upgrades and consumables are separate, and naturally the camera isn't locked in place.

I suppose the only negative legacies from RE4 are the brown-graphics (I'm at the end of the village) and the reliance on QTEs, which haunted gaming for the next eight years.

EW2 kicks much rear end. The first one was OK but I have no desire to replay it. Too many instakills, trial and error and extreme tonal shifts.

DLC Inc posted:

in the B scenario for the 2nd character, are the doors you opened in scenario A already unlocked?

No but certain events have already been assumed to take place

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 3, 2019

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Jesus loving Christ, Hunk mode doesn't gently caress around. Any tips?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

DeadButDelicious posted:

It's really blatantly when she fell into the locked room in the sewer.

Castor Poe posted:

It's weird how the new zombies flip the script and make rooms dominated by them and/or dogs the most dangerous ones in the run.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Castor Poe posted:

If you come to a room where the zombies are not already standing, just loving book. The room with the ladder to the parking garage and the parking garage both are easiest if you just rush in before they finish their standing animations--if you hang a right out of the ladder you'll only need to shoot one or two zombies. Just be careful with rushing because the next room has a licker.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The new zombies would probably have to be toned way down if they make any kind of official fixed-camera mode. Like limit their reach, make it so they can't lunge like five feet and make them go down in 4-to-5 bullets anywhere. I could reliably juke them in the original RE2, to the point where I could get through a huge chunk of the police station and barely fire a shot. Here, once I got the gist of how you're "supposed" to play I had to at least fire a shot or two to stun them for the two seconds needed to get past.

Also, has anybody unlocked Tofu and is his knife infinite?

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Castor Poe posted:

This is how I beat it:

-Hunk can take a beating, so save all your healing to the last possible minute and don’t waste defensive weapons
-Throw a hand grenade at the two G-creatures in the sewers to stun them so you can run past them
-Make shotgun ammo using the gunpowder, since it’s the best weapon for kneecapping zombies after the SMG
-Use the SMG to break a couple bulbs on the plantmen in the STARS hallway do you can run around them
-Save your flash grenades as long as humanly possible; you will definitely need one for the parking garage and one for the art room hallway past the waiting room on the second floor where the zombies burst through the door
-In general, don’t stop running—if you can plan out an optimal route to get through certain rooms you can run right by zombies as they’re activating/doing their standing up animation
-There is a bit of luck involved in my opinion, especially on the lift-bridge in the sewers towards the beginning—there’s like 20 dogs in that room and whether or not they stun-lock you into oblivion is mostly up to the AI’s RNG

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

King Vidiot posted:

The new zombies would probably have to be toned way down if they make any kind of official fixed-camera mode. Like limit their reach, make it so they can't lunge like five feet and make them go down in 4-to-5 bullets anywhere. I could reliably juke them in the original RE2, to the point where I could get through a huge chunk of the police station and barely fire a shot. Here, once I got the gist of how you're "supposed" to play I had to at least fire a shot or two to stun them for the two seconds needed to get past.

Also, has anybody unlocked Tofu and is his knife infinite?

Tofu doesn't start with an infinite knife. It starts with an inventory completely full of like 30 knives.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CJacobs posted:

Tofu doesn't start with an infinite knife. It starts with an inventory completely full of like 30 knives.

:stare:

I mean, yeah... yeah that's a way to do it I suppose.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Castor Poe posted:

-Familiarize yourself with the route. I kept tripping up by turning the wrong way at the worst possible times, and there's very little room for error.

-Get good at dodging. There's a lot of zombies you can avoid simply by waiting for the right time or by making the right move, such as the trio at the very beginning.

-The SMG is great at mowing down legs, use it for that.

-There are times where you can press forward into a crowd, take a single bite, shove off the zombie, and then run forward to dodge the rest and save the ammo or defense item. Getting through the scenario requires really thinking about how each item should be used, and when—it can be a good idea, for instance, to save a grenade for when you know there will be a bunch of zombies hanging out (Like after the elevator from the sewers, or the parking garage).

-Save the Magnum for Lickers and stunning Mr. X.

That's what I did and it only took me dying a couple dozen times to succeed, hope this helps! :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

King Vidiot posted:

:stare:

I mean, yeah... yeah that's a way to do it I suppose.

Well, think about it this way. If an infinite knife is all you have, and you get grabbed, then you are left weaponless if you use it to grab-escape. If you have THIRTY knives of the normal variety, you can grab-escape all drat day.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Vikar Jerome posted:

new screenshot of kendos mode showing off the new enemy from ghost survivors

uhh.. okay.

Pretty patties!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Trying to speedrun Claire A on standard immediately lead to an s+, hurray! Figured I'd try it with Leon B and I got murdered in the hallway right after getting the pump jack handle, with X right behind me. Didn't bring the right gear, didn't do the right thing. RIP, Leon. That run had promise. But you had to be controlled by me. :v:

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Accordion Man posted:

The labs are the point of no return.

Ok thanks.

It looks like some of them are only available on a Claire run, but that one is available for both, so not all is lost I should be able to get it on the next run.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Thank you all for the tips! I managed to make it to the S.T.A.R.S hallway and got insta killed by one of these loving plantmen this time. Baby steps, I suppose. :v:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah furthest I made it was the hallway in front of the STARS office and there were plant men and I had nothing left to use on them, so RIP Hunk's head off

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Castor Poe posted:

Thank you all for the tips! I managed to make it to the S.T.A.R.S hallway and got insta killed by one of these loving plantmen this time. Baby steps, I suppose. :v:

Yeah, those got me a few times. You can stun them if you're out of grenades by hitting one of their bulbs.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
4th Survivor is so much harder to clear with the Single Action Army than it was just a shitload of knives

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Making sure to have a grenade or two for the final stretch makes it manageable.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Mr. Maggy posted:

4th Survivor is so much harder to clear with the Single Action Army than it was just a shitload of knives

That’s definitely the hardest run, due to the lack of subweapons.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

loving Christ I went back to the RCPD with Claire B after reaching the sewers to get the machine gun and clean out the police lockers and gently caress if I could figure out how to get back down there after I did. Wasted a ton of time and ammo futzing around and even went back down the medallion entrance before realizing it's cut off after the 1st Birkin fight.

Oh well. So long good rating.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Oh I know how it works, this is my third time through. It's just that the arena itself just seems ridiculously tight given his loving reach; no matter how I try baiting and juking him I just get slapped around and have to use several healing items until he gets hosed off by the cargo container. The whole section, including the switch room and his stint of punching holes in the ceiling, is a bit of a black mark on the game for me. It just doesn't sit right compared to the other bosses.

:catstare:

How?? It seems pretty obvious to me that you should be out of the way of that thing, what with all the warning lights and whatnot..?

First time I did it, I figured out what was going on, but I hadn't seen where the thing actually went, in the panic of trying to avoid him opening me up, so I didn't know where it was coming in from. I thought it was going to come in 90 degrees across from the way it does so I was standing in exactly the right place to get loving owned by it :downs:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

loving Christ I went back to the RCPD with Claire B after reaching the sewers to get the machine gun and clean out the police lockers and gently caress if I could figure out how to get back down there after I did. Wasted a ton of time and ammo futzing around and even went back down the medallion entrance before realizing it's cut off after the 1st Birkin fight.

Oh well. So long good rating.

if you havent figred it out already, the wrong turn you made was towards where the first birkin fight was, rather than continuing on down the stairs past the STARS display case to the elevator that brought you up there.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Vikar Jerome posted:

uhh.. okay.

Oh boy, poison zombies. Just what I always wanted.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

uhh.. okay.

whats your source on this because theres a mod that swaps Kendo's model in for Leons and that just looks like a purple color mod for blood?

Basticle fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 3, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BiggerBoat posted:

EW2 kicks much rear end. The first one was OK but I have no desire to replay it. Too many instakills, trial and error and extreme tonal shifts.
That's what I've been hearing, but I didn't like the first one and the 2nd one is still $60, so that's a steep price for a sequel to a game I wasn't crazy about.

I'm sure I'll play it eventually, but maybe when it's on sale for $10 or a PS+ game or something.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Does anyone know of a quick written guide that lists all required steps in order? Like

1. Get the club key in the office.
2. Get the next item in the room.
3. Etc

Asking because I'm going to start after the S trophies. The labs and sewers are easy to remember but I don't want to forget a step in RPD. I'm not too worried because I just did Claire B in 340 with multiple continues and no optimization.... But just wanna be safe.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

ultrachrist posted:

Does anyone know of a quick written guide that lists all required steps in order? Like

1. Get the club key in the office.
2. Get the next item in the room.
3. Etc

Asking because I'm going to start after the S trophies. The labs and sewers are easy to remember but I don't want to forget a step in RPD. I'm not too worried because I just did Claire B in 340 with multiple continues and no optimization.... But just wanna be safe.

this seems like what you're after

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Basticle posted:

whats your source on this because theres a mod that swaps Kendo's model in for Leons and that just looks like a purple color mod for blood?

I don't recall any glowing eyes in the main game, and there's no headwounds that would account for blood spray. Seems legit to me honestly.

Also that looks like a unique zombie trio, which I am almost embarassed to admit I noticed. THOSE THREE DON'T SHOW UP THAT WAY IN THE MAIN GAME :byodood:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I finished LeonA\ClaireB, and now I'm done with ClaireA so on to LeonB and I only have a few annoyances with this game so far

-Mr. X is really cool and I love the tension but after being on my fourth scenario, it gets a little tiresome

-Is there any actual difference between the .45 and the Matilda because I've been dropping 45 rounds into zombies and despite the game and real life telling me it should pack even a slightly a bigger punch than a standard 9mm, the difference feels like it's gently caress all

-The only utterly bullshit part so far was going to the firing range after turning the power back on and getting the diamond key - the two zombies on the other side of the range have a few moments to get through that first door, but so far I've been able to unlock the door, swipe the film and the herb, and peace out - until right this moment when I hear both zombies spot me, I run into the room and don't even hear them banging on the door, and yet right in the two seconds it takes for me to grab the items and get back, the bigger zombie busts the diamond door in and takes a bite out of my neck

the ffffffffffffffuck is that about, dont just grant noclip to some random zombie, game, what the gently caress :cmon:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Basticle posted:

this seems like what you're after

I like how half the guide keeps accidentally referring to Claire as Jill :v:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Good soup! posted:

-Is there any actual difference between the .45 and the Matilda because I've been dropping 45 rounds into zombies and despite the game and real life telling me it should pack even a slightly a bigger punch than a standard 9mm, the difference feels like it's gently caress all

Nobody seems to have worked out the actual math yet, but I'm guessing the difference between the actual numbers behind the .45 guns vs. the 9mm guns is mostly academic. There's probably more raw damage potential on the table for the 2nd run .45s vs. the standard 9mms for situations when that matters, but for rank-and-file zombies, you're still plinking away to no real effect.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Good soup! posted:

-The only utterly bullshit part so far was going to the firing range after turning the power back on and getting the diamond key - the two zombies on the other side of the range have a few moments to get through that first door, but so far I've been able to unlock the door, swipe the film and the herb, and peace out - until right this moment when I hear both zombies spot me, I run into the room and don't even hear them banging on the door, and yet right in the two seconds it takes for me to grab the items and get back, the bigger zombie busts the diamond door in and takes a bite out of my neck

the ffffffffffffffuck is that about, dont just grant noclip to some random zombie, game, what the gently caress :cmon:

Zombies skip the "banging on the door" animation sequence and just bust through if you physically run up to the door and they're on the other side. It's actually pretty useful because you can bait them out by walking up slowly and then backpedaling so they spill into the room and fall over.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Basticle posted:

That screenshot is on the official Japanese website for Resident Evil 2.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/biohazard2/extra.html#Ghost

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

First time I did it, I figured out what was going on, but I hadn't seen where the thing actually went, in the panic of trying to avoid him opening me up, so I didn't know where it was coming in from. I thought it was going to come in 90 degrees across from the way it does so I was standing in exactly the right place to get loving owned by it :downs:

It's this.

That crane had to smash me (us) a couple of times before I could figure out the angles and where the safe zone was and even after I figured it out I still got smushed one or two more times. The camera didn't do the greatest job of illustrating exactly what was going on there, where the crane was swinging around from and also the area you have to run around (and freak out and panic in) is really small. So it's all a bit much to take in what with the floor claws/intro, that big fucker chasing you around, trying to snatch up items and switch weapons and the general hectic nature of the whole encounter when you run into it the first time.

Basticle posted:

if you havent figured it out already, the wrong turn you made was towards where the first birkin fight was, rather than continuing on down the stairs past the STARS display case to the elevator that brought you up there.

Yeah, I figure out the hard way. Eventually. That NE part of the map and where the stairs lead and everything is a little confusing so after loving with it I got the bright idea to just go down the elevator in the medallion room only to find it cut off.

Good soup! posted:

1. I finished LeonA\ClaireB, and now I'm done with ClaireA so on to LeonB and I only have a few annoyances with this game so far

2. -Mr. X is really cool and I love the tension but after being on my fourth scenario, it gets a little tiresome

3. -The only utterly bullshit part so far was going to the firing range after turning the power back on and getting the diamond key

1. This is my plan too but so far I'm not trying to speed run.

2. Agreed. Mr. X gets old, especially in narrow hallways and when Claire is in the library. I leave the zombies in the library alone since I have so much room to run around but gently caress that room when stompy shows up

3. Biggest "bullshit" moments for me were the licker through the interrogation room glass and that one rear end in a top hat zombie in the lab cafeteria but I'm wondering if you can shoot the zombies through the kitchen windows or from behind the counter to take care of that.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm considering starting a hardcore run but want something more to shoot for... anyone have any suggestions for side-objective to go for?