Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Did much change in terms of materials/alloys and machining tolerances? Those seem like candidates where progress might have been made. Plus manufacturing techniques, like the difference between those crazy one-off early modern revolvers Hegel posted and everyone in the US Cav having two by the mid 19th century is being able to crank them out by the bushel rather than having some dude labor over one for a year. I think.

e: I should just get a sig that says "uninformed guesspost above".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

aphid_licker posted:

Honestly it'd probably be easier to just have a couple of people get sigs that say "not an uninformed guesspost above"

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/selina_cheng/status/1091916621751304192?s=19

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Cue mad scramble by competitors to find German grenades to sneakily slip into their inferior local potatoes

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Hey, so, I know that there are, like, historical organizations that take down oral histories of wars and such.

I'm kinda interested in finding one for iraq, since it's been a few years and memories and getting hazy and it would be good to get them down for posterity, I think.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

GotLag posted:

There's the huge increases in engine power and (just as important) reliability, but there's also the development of the entire automotive industry which didn't appear on a serious scale until the 1920s. If you could somehow get your hands on the necessary engine I think you could probably build a tank to the quality of the Sherman in WW1, but there's no way you'd get it done in a timeframe or at a cost that would be at all feasible.

There's pretty enormous leaps of engine power during WW2 as well.

Tank Mk1: 106 hp.

Matilda 2: 2x94 hp.

Panzer IV: 296 hp

Cromwell: 600 hp

Sherman: 350-450hp depending on model. That's something to consider, the difference in hp between first and final sherman varients is about the same as the total power the first ever tank had.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

FrangibleCover posted:

Honestly it'd probably be easier to just have a couple of people get sigs that say "not an uninformed guesspost above"

I stay away from spouting out uninformed poo poo about 'big-clanky-gun carry-things', 'floaty-fly-ey-thing nests', and geopolitics. I just jumped out of planes and shot things. Small unit operations and small arms? Sure. The rest I leave to the experts.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

GotLag posted:

There's the huge increases in engine power and (just as important) reliability, but there's also the development of the entire automotive industry which didn't appear on a serious scale until the 1920s. If you could somehow get your hands on the necessary engine I think you could probably build a tank to the quality of the Sherman in WW1, but there's no way you'd get it done in a timeframe or at a cost that would be at all feasible.

Edit: there were also huge advances in welding in the 1920s, with the introduction of automatic feed and shielding gas. The first all-welded ship wasn't produced until 1930.

Welding/casting the Sherman would have been impossible, certainly on any usable scale.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
One of the huge improvements was in the suspension and running gear. All the horsepower in the world won't help you if you can't drive for longer than 50-100 km before your tank falls apart. Track links were a big part of this, which is why you see so many convertible drive designs pop up. Otherwise you would have no choice but to deliver your tank to the battlefield on a truck, which severely limited the weight.

aphid_licker posted:

Did much change in terms of materials/alloys and machining tolerances? Those seem like candidates where progress might have been made. Plus manufacturing techniques, like the difference between those crazy one-off early modern revolvers Hegel posted and everyone in the US Cav having two by the mid 19th century is being able to crank them out by the bushel rather than having some dude labor over one for a year. I think.

Lots. Huge leaps in metallurgy that allowed either welding or casting thick armour, so you didn't have to use flimsy bolts anymore (cough Italy cough), and now production lines that let you crank out tanks like cars, since time consuming riveting was out of the picture.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

i think it's also the metal quality, but that's a question for Rodrigo Diaz, i don't know very much about that end of things. And he got a job years ago and disappeared from the Internet.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I stay away from spouting out uninformed poo poo about 'big-clanky-gun carry-things', 'floaty-fly-ey-thing nests', and geopolitics. I just jumped out of planes and shot things. Small unit operations and small arms? Sure. The rest I leave to the experts.

I've been meaning to ask you by the way, why is the bipod on the M47 Dragon so tall? Other ATGM systems get on fine with bipods or tripods you use from a prone position but Dragon necessitates sitting weirdly.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

FrangibleCover posted:

I've been meaning to ask you by the way, why is the bipod on the M47 Dragon so tall? Other ATGM systems get on fine with bipods or tripods you use from a prone position but Dragon necessitates sitting weirdly.

I don't know the actual reason, but from experience, two things. The blast suppression shroud on the back is completly obliterated. If you were lying prone, your legs would be shredded. Also, it felt like the boost charge was complete poo poo and the missile always seemed like it was going to smack into the ground before the main reaction jets ignited, so the more height you had on launch, the better.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

i think it's also the metal quality, but that's a question for Rodrigo Diaz, i don't know very much about that end of things. And he got a job years ago and disappeared from the Internet.

Didn't he close the last thread or am I confused?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ensign Expendable posted:

One of the huge improvements was in the suspension and running gear. All the horsepower in the world won't help you if you can't drive for longer than 50-100 km before your tank falls apart. Track links were a big part of this, which is why you see so many convertible drive designs pop up. Otherwise you would have no choice but to deliver your tank to the battlefield on a truck, which severely limited the weight.

This is absolutely true, but there's not a lot of advanced metallurgy in track. Even now a tank's track is just steel and rubber, and most suspension components are similar. The UK uses that hydropneumatic suspension as an example of something a bit more advanced, but regular torsion tubes are relatively simplistic.

The big thing they needed was practical engineering experience designing AFV suspensions. You can sort of see this with various approaches taken in WWII. A Sherman's bogies, for example, are pretty clearly descended from railroad cars, a place where engineers had experience designing vehicle systems that were intended to carry heavy loads.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The blast suppression shroud on the back is completly obliterated. If you were lying prone, your legs would be shredded.

No training to fire it like the LAW/AT4?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

LatwPIAT posted:

No training to fire it like the LAW/AT4?

You can fire it from the prone like that, it just completely sucks because it is so poorly balanced and bulky. Holding the target in sight is a bitch as the wire is spooling out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-9_EhxfFvY&t=520s

edit: On the plus side, it is lighter than a MILAN, and it does look cool as gently caress when night fired with the rockets popping on the sides.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 3, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

Didn't he close the last thread or am I confused?
only because i messaged him

one of the reasons i took over the milhist threads is i have more time than he does these days

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

Absolutely. Tungsten carbide and high speed steel weren't widely used for cutting tools until after WWI, meaning that lathe/mill cutting speeds were a order of magnitude slower. Machine tools themselves and measuring devices were less accurate, GD&T wasn't invented until after the start of WWII by a guy at the Royal Torpedo Works. (GD&T is somewhat hard to explain but basically it's a way to measure parts that allows for greater accuracy and less waste) Factories were more primitive as Ford and Kahn and so on were just starting to create modern ones. Guns like the Luger and M1911 still had parts getting hand fitted by gunsmiths during assembly, versus the later "a semi-skilled laborer replaces parts and then pulls a lever, preforming step X of Y in the process of making 50,000 identical widgets for a machine gun."

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Cessna posted:

This is absolutely true, but there's not a lot of advanced metallurgy in track. Even now a tank's track is just steel and rubber, and most suspension components are similar. The UK uses that hydropneumatic suspension as an example of something a bit more advanced, but regular torsion tubes are relatively simplistic.

The big thing they needed was practical engineering experience designing AFV suspensions. You can sort of see this with various approaches taken in WWII. A Sherman's bogies, for example, are pretty clearly descended from railroad cars, a place where engineers had experience designing vehicle systems that were intended to carry heavy loads.

Tracks are just steel in the same way that armour is just steel. Finding the right alloys to make a track that is both easy to make and lasts thousands of kilometers is not an easy feat.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Oh hey someone subbed and uploaded that new chinese anime about Marx.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T0a_jXHiDo

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Fangz posted:

Oh hey someone subbed and uploaded that new chinese anime about Marx.

goddamn this is boring. Who do they expect to watch this crap? Wish the Chinese propagandists would learn from their Russian counterparts and start putting out entertaining propaganda

https://twitter.com/holland_tom/status/1052486597445324800

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Squalid posted:

goddamn this is boring. Who do they expect to watch this crap? Wish the Chinese propagandists would learn from their Russian counterparts and start putting out entertaining propaganda

https://twitter.com/holland_tom/status/1052486597445324800

if this is supposed to be the early 19th century the facial hair situation is WAY off

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Engels is mid-late

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

Engels is mid-late
even more facial hair then, what is this cleanshaven anime

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
That is what optimum bishie looks like

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1092062157900939265?s=19

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ensign Expendable posted:

Tracks are just steel in the same way that armour is just steel. Finding the right alloys to make a track that is both easy to make and lasts thousands of kilometers is not an easy feat.

I seriously doubt this. Even modern track is not made out of some mysterious alloy; it's plain old common steel. It is AISI 4340/4140 steel alloy (slightly different nickel content) or a close variant thereof, the same heat-treated mild steel used for things like common nuts and bolts since at least the 1920s (and before, I am not familiar with earlier grading systems but I'd bet that the steel was the same), and this was used for steel track near-universally since pre-WWII.

And if you're talking about "western" (US, UK, any track with track pads) it's not the steel of the track that wears out. Not once in my entire career as an armor crewman did we replace track because the actual steel had worn out. I suppose this might be different if we're talking Russian/Soviet track where you put bare metal on the ground, thus causing faster contact wear, but I'm not familiar with that first hand enough to comment. I DO know that Russian/Soviet track is also a heat-treated mild steel, not noticeably different from Western track.

(For "western" track, a track is replaced when the bushings - the rubber between the metal components - wears out. These parts are quite important - they serve to keep the metal components from rusting together, they make the track "live" (that is, it wants to curl up and wrap inward more than "dead" track, making it harder to throw track. They wear relatively quickly and are, for practical purposes, impossible to replace at a crew level. When they start to go the track is sent back and these parts are burned out and replaced. (And if you don't believe me, here is a paper on this.))

Cessna fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 4, 2019

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Track confirms my sense (as someone who never served) that every MOS comes with its own flavor of suck, and the best you can hope for is one that matches your own little foibles.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Zorak of Michigan posted:

and the best you can hope for is one that matches your own little foibles.
*logistics-related rumblings from Münchengrätz*

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Track confirms my sense (as someone who never served) that every MOS comes with its own flavor of suck, and the best you can hope for is one that matches your own little foibles.

Yes. Suspension work is miserable.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

which one's this

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Luigi Cadorna.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

FAUXTON posted:

which one's this

That's the Italy that invaded Ethiopia in the 1890s.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I was rewatching SPR the other night on a whim and while the fighting scenes really were :discourse:, some of the other parts haven't aged nearly as well. Anyway, when did the German's cotton on to the fact that poo poo was going down, like now? Was it when the higgin's boats were in visual range? Or maybe the allies started shelling, bombing and strafing their positions and they figured something was amiss?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Someone confused EVA's scene with Revolver Ocelot's scenes.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

I was rewatching SPR the other night on a whim and while the fighting scenes really were :discourse:, some of the other parts haven't aged nearly as well. Anyway, when did the German's cotton on to the fact that poo poo was going down, like now? Was it when the higgin's boats were in visual range? Or maybe the allies started shelling, bombing and strafing their positions and they figured something was amiss?

This has nothing to do with your question but I learned recently that the big pillboxes in SPR did not exist irl and it fucks me up because that has become universal shorthand for "Omaha beach"

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

This has nothing to do with your question but I learned recently that the big pillboxes in SPR did not exist irl and it fucks me up because that has become universal shorthand for "Omaha beach"

Obvious followup question: what was Omaha Beach like? You're right that SPR is my mental image of it, teach me otherwise.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I mean they may not have existed at omaha but some of those fortifications were pretty imposing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

As I understand it from reading accounts from the time, it's when they looked out of their pillboxes after the shelling and the sea was literally full of hundreds of ships all the way to the horizon - not so much the landing boats themselves but the battleships, destroyers, landing ships etc. Quite a lot of accounts describe this with a sense of 'and then we knew we were hosed'.