Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Fiedler posted:

sounds like you belong in Seattle

who's got better weather, aberdeen scotland or aberdeen wa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
what's the most decent place on the west coast to live

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

uncurable mlady posted:

probably san diego or vancouver (canada), depending on your tolerance for us politics

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

uncurable mlady posted:

san diego has the best weather

silly con valley has the most jobs

seattle has microsoft and amazon

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

uncurable mlady posted:

ive lived in san diego, berkeley/oakland, humboldt, portland, and seattle.

portland was by far my favorite, but this was over a decade ago and things may have changed. getting a remote job and moving to portland sounds reasonable.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
san diego has low wages (so many people move there for the weather that they bid down salaries) and very high cost of living (so many people move there for the weather they bid up the cost of housing)

plus it has grown faster than the infrastructure can keep up, so lots of traffic and iffy services

pro tip: get a job with a big-city salary (nyc, sf, la) and move/transfer to san diego

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
i think a lot of big tech companies are opening up offices in santa monica, which honestly seemed like a decent mix of beach and city life. on the other hand, san diego has a brewery on every block so it’s hard to say

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

cool thanks. portland seems cool.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I live in and Seattle and like it but Portland is pretty cool and cheaper to boot. I really like living on Puget sound though

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

uncurable mlady posted:

seattle circa 1999 hth

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Dijkstracula posted:

seattle circa 1999 hth

seems tricky

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

uncurable mlady posted:

cool thanks. portland seems cool.

hope you like working for intel

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
portland is a rather small city that punches above its weight in cultural capital

as far as actual capital it is a secondary or tertiary market

another way to put this: the bay area, in population and economic impact, is about the size of detroit metro area. portland is about half that size.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the thing i didn't like about portland is that no matter how many good things it has going for it, it's still just a big mall for white people. you can say this of basically any city on the west coast, though.

with that said, it felt a lot more working class than other west coast cities. i was poor in both seattle and portland, and i really felt the classism in seattle, but did not experience it in portland. this may have changed though.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 3, 2019

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

hope you like working for intel

or nike

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

nike's ostensible hq is in the woods an hour outside portland, but they have a huge office in new york city that is probably the size of their entire hq campus, sq footage wise

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

the thing i didn't like about portland is that no matter how many good things it has going for it, it's still just a big mall for white people. you can say this of basically any city on the west coast, though.

with that said, it felt a lot more working class than other west coast cities. i was poor in both seattle and portland, and i really felt the classism in seattle, but did not experience it in portland. this may have changed though.

Lots of sf is a mall for chinese peeps

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

i work remotely for a bay area company and there is no loving amount of money that could convince me to move to the bay

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

i work remotely for a bay area company and there is no loving amount of money that could convince me to move to the bay

ding ding ding

I live in portland. Actually I live in the woods 20 mins from portland near Nike, but I am moving to vancouver, WA soon to skip out on income tax. Portland area is ok, but it's a small town and limited if you've lived in a bigger city before. There's a lot of nature stuff around. Winter loving sucks and summer is amazing. It's white as hell. Will probably move next year, maybe to LA or back to NYC or possibly out of country, wife needs to be located in a bigger market city.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
What job boards are good these days?

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 3, 2019

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nike's ostensible hq is in the woods an hour outside portland, but they have a huge office in new york city that is probably the size of their entire hq campus, sq footage wise

ehh, you can be as close to downtown portland from beaverton as from east portland. it's not "in the woods"

i remember talking to someone who used to work at nike. they said most of the major shoe companies have offices in the portland area, so people have made a career out of basically bouncing around shoe companies when they're ready for a promotion.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

As a remote worker I've also thought about this and there is an amount but the number is very high, at least 2m cash/equivalent

gently caress that whole place

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i remember talking to someone who used to work at nike. they said most of the major shoe companies have offices in the portland area, so people have made a career out of basically bouncing around shoe companies when they're ready for a promotion.

yeah the sneakernet is real

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

ehh, you can be as close to downtown portland from beaverton as from east portland. it's not "in the woods"

it's weird because their offices are spread out so basically you can vaguely wave at the entire town of beaverton as 'nike'

but yeah maybe during rush hour it could take an hour but you'd be going against traffic (i think?) but regular driving it's definitely not an hour

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
when i lived in ptown i could not stop laughing at the name beaverton

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
god gently caress companies that make me register with them them to apply.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

i'm employed :toot:

as an intern :confuoot:

but it's paid :toot:

barely :confuoot:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fallen Hamprince posted:

i'm employed :toot:

as an intern :confuoot:

but it's paid :toot:

barely :confuoot:

get paid

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

i mean barely relative to cost of living in the area, i still be making well above minimum wage :canada:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

god gently caress companies that make me register with them them to apply.

lets add all this complexity to the recruitment process for

~reasons~

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Schadenboner posted:

It looks like your support org is run out of Boston and that Chicago is just a sales office, otherwise I’d throw a resume your way for the sysadmin you guys are looking for.

:sigh:

We had a DS engineer is Chicago for a while. If you're open to remote work that team is like 2/3 outside of Boston.

Sleng Teng posted:

General q: are most years of experience reqs inflated or not for dev or DS jobs?

This looks really neat and boy is that a big bunch of positions

Drop me a resume, I've got a bunch I need to push through hr today.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

thanks thread, i got a new job and a 66% number go up in figgies

it's a lot less amazing if you take into account that it's only a 36% raise compared to 3y ago, but i am still happy for having this

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

TimWinter posted:

We had a DS engineer is Chicago for a while. If you're open to remote work that team is like 2/3 outside of Boston.

Drop me a resume, I've got a bunch I need to push through hr today.

I'd love to but you couldn't squint at my relevant experience and get 5 years, I'm too green still!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Penisface posted:

it's a lot less amazing if you take into account that it's only a 36% raise compared to 3y ago, but i am still happy for having this

:yotj:

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Penisface posted:

Congratulations!

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Sleng Teng posted:

I'd love to but you couldn't squint at my relevant experience and get 5 years, I'm too green still!

dont be a scared, send the resume. worst that can happen is a "no", best that can happen is you get to work at a good place, earn figgies and nice things on your resume

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sleng Teng posted:

As stated, send it in. On of my teachers one said "companies want superman. They'll take Clark Kent."

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I feel more like a janitor at Clark Kent's job, but point taken everyone!

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

Don't talk yourself out of a job. Give it your best shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I got a job that required 1-2 years of React experience. I was two weeks into learning it. They hired me and then paid me to learn it.