Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Goober Peas posted:

I thought you said you were against speedbumps

:iceburn:

Found a Cherokee that ticks all the boxes! They weren't open today (obviously as it's Sunday) but I left a message and I'm gonna swing by tomorrow and hope they aren't firm on the pricing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Goober Peas posted:

I thought you said you were against speedbumps

I'm an rear end in a top hat. I'm not a ginormous speedbump wanting rear end in a top hat tho - There's a limit that even I wont go past.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I think speed humps are fine if people are doing 20+ over the limit down your road. Besides if you're actually doing the speed limit then the humps aren't really going to impede your progress much anyway

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Speed bumps just mean you need more suspension travel and sidewall. Then you can go up to at least the next harmonic.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I think speed humps are fine if people are doing 20+ over the limit down your road. Besides if you're actually doing the speed limit then the humps aren't really going to impede your progress much anyway

Speed humps for the residents mean more engine noise as the cars accelerate. And the crash and bangs of people that ignore them. And they are a PITA if you do live there to deal with.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I only know speed bumps still exist because old people in SUVs slow down to 3 loving miles an hour to creep over them.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Then call the cops and get them to speed trap the road.

GG, only ginormous assholes want speedbumps

This is murica. Cops will only speed trap busy roads because that's where the money comes from.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
On the subject of speed bumps I am trying to get them on my road. People use the road I live on to bypass the next one over because there's a light. The speed limits are the same on both roads, I'm just sick of having to wait for 3-5 cars bypassing Alpha St. every time I want out of my driveway.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I use our HHR like a truck all the time and have blown out the rear shocks twice :v:

Same, beater wagons best wagons. I reluctantly had to make two trips after putting much more than this in the first time and realizing I was completely bottomed out and couldn't even leave the parking lot.

e: haha you can see the dent on the bottom of the tailpipe where it banged into the hump at the end of my driveway when I backed up

opengl fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 3, 2019

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Speed bumps aren't the worst if they are nicely designed and constructed ones that allow you to go over them at a speed approaching the limit of the road but will gently caress you up if you try taking them too fast.

Unfortunately most of the ones I have to deal with in my life are uneven, foot high half-cylinders that will tear your suspension to shreds at anything over a crawl. gently caress those things forever.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Actual result of speed humps (at least in my neck of the woods): Everyone with a loud car floors it between them, every time.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

opengl128 posted:

Same, beater wagons best wagons. I reluctantly had to make two trips after putting much more than this in the first time and realizing I was completely bottomed out and couldn't even leave the parking lot.

e: haha you can see the dent on the bottom of the tailpipe where it banged into the hump at the end of my driveway when I backed up

Almost like the proper vehicle for that load would be a truck.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

ilkhan posted:

Almost like the proper vehicle for that load would be a truck.

Never send a truck or a wagon to do a sedan's job.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Fermented Tinal posted:

Never send a truck or a wagon to do a sedan's job.

Lawls. (Had to put the stock wheels on the rear for the trip, the Probe swirlies would have rubbed too much)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Grakkus posted:

Speed bumps aren't the worst if they are nicely designed and constructed ones that allow you to go over them at a speed approaching the limit of the road but will gently caress you up if you try taking them too fast.

Unfortunately most of the ones I have to deal with in my life are uneven, foot high half-cylinders that will tear your suspension to shreds at anything over a crawl. gently caress those things forever.

The original intent of speed bumps was that they were engineered so they could be crossed AT the speed limit with no penalty.

The engineered/designed part has completely been lost. I've never seen a speed bump that could be crossed at anything other than a crawl - especially after the road gets resurfaced at any point. gently caress speed bumps.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

meatpimp posted:

Lawls. (Had to put the stock wheels on the rear for the trip, the Probe swirlies would have rubbed too much)

Are we playing that game, then?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Fermented Tinal posted:

:shrug: If you want to...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Use a truck they said

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
FYI Gentleman Driver on netflix is a really good docu about the amateur drivers in WEC / Le Mans

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Well. That was a football game.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/TheDweck/status/1092227160423702528

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

QuarkMartial posted:

Well. That was a football game.
That was a pre-season game right? The real Superbowl is tomorrow or next week or something?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
It, uh, was something. I mean, I guess technically it was a football game and it was all superbowl-y. It just wasn't very good.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ilkhan posted:

That was a pre-season game right? The real Superbowl is tomorrow or next week or something?

That was exactly the quality of game I expected from a Rams team that got in on a blown ref call even the league called blown, and a Pats team that only won because the NFL's overtime rules are pants-on-head levels of stupid.

Hopefully it cost the league enough money that they fix their bullshit.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I watched precisely zero minutes of professional football. That includes today.

NBA is the best league and it isn’t even close.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

What the hell?

I just got an emailed 1099.... from a company that hasn't existed since 2016. It's a 1099 for 2016, and matches the 1099 I filed with my 2016 taxes.

edit: and now another 1099 from a company I still work with, also for 2016. I guess tax1099.com is having a meltdown of some kind?

e2: talked to friends who worked for both companies, they haven't gotten reissued 1099s. Now I'm getting a bit worried that whoever stole my identity several years ago may be trying to request tax documents. Of the 2 I've gotten so far, the numbers match the original ones (which I still have). Except one of them has an address I lived at last year, not in 2016.

e3: another 2016 1099 came in, with a company I never worked for, with an address I never lived at. What in the everliving gently caress?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 4, 2019

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I watched precisely zero minutes of professional football. That includes today.

NBA is the best league and it isn’t even close.

Pffft the only good Nth American sport is frozen water stick puck punch ups

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Windows 7 had a little desktop widget that let you run a small (400x300 or so) window of rotating images from whatever folder you specified, anyone know of a program or app for Windows 10 that has similar functionality?

My wife loves that feature and has 5 gigs worth of pics of our (now 5-years-gone) katte that she likes to have going around forever in a small space on her desktop (not the entire desktop) and has just gotten a new Win10 laptop and I'd like to set something up for her if anyone knows of anything like that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

STR posted:

What the hell?

I just got an emailed 1099.... from a company that hasn't existed since 2016. It's a 1099 for 2016, and matches the 1099 I filed with my 2016 taxes.

edit: and now another 1099 from a company I still work with, also for 2016. I guess tax1099.com is having a meltdown of some kind?

e2: talked to friends who worked for both companies, they haven't gotten reissued 1099s. Now I'm getting a bit worried that whoever stole my identity several years ago may be trying to request tax documents. Of the 2 I've gotten so far, the numbers match the original ones (which I still have). Except one of them has an address I lived at last year, not in 2016.

e3: another 2016 1099 came in, with a company I never worked for, with an address I never lived at. What in the everliving gently caress?

Somebody is likely trying for it again. Hope you have a PIN set on your taxes.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, an identity protection PIN has been in place for awhile now. You can file by mail without it, but it adds several weeks to the processing time (over how long it normally takes if you mail your taxes) so that they can do whatever extra steps they do to verify everything is legit.

Did a little digging on the address that came up on the 3rd one. It's the parents house of an old shift manager I had at Pizza Hut (she still lived with them when I worked there). VZW told me that the line was opened/phone financed at a Target store in that city (wouldn't say which location, but there were only 2 in the city), and that shift manager's mother was an assistant manager for Target at the time. Just kinda confirms what I suspected. I don't know what it'll take to amend a several year old police report at this point.

Just weird that I'm getting reissued 1099s from 2016, instead of more recent. All 3 companies use the same 1099 provider though, so I'm guessing someone did some social engineering.

I've basically eliminated company-naming chat from my social media, including SA, and don't even list the city I really live in anywhere. The "goons got me fired before I even started my new job" incident taught me to not talk much about work anywhere online. Everything just says "Austin area" and "self employed".

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Feb 4, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

STR posted:

Did a little digging on the address that came up on the 3rd one. It's the parents house of an old shift manager I had at Pizza Hut (she still lived with them when I worked there).
That seems to be pretty damning evidence.

quote:

I've basically eliminated company-naming chat from my social media, including SA, and don't even list the city I really live in anywhere. The "goons got me fired before I even started my new job" incident taught me to not talk much about work anywhere online. Everything just says "Austin area" and "self employed".

In this case, it looks like lovely real life people, not even lovely internet people! Seriously, though, that's hosed up and I hope it's something the police would look at. Then again, I assume that the police would look into a number of things and it ends up they just don't care. I guess we're not big enough corporations to get reliable police protection.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Ugh, yeah, I have to do my taxes. I have a big home expense coming up (spoiler alert: it will cost a lot of money to do something that someone with more free time, more patience, and the proper equipment could do for a lot less) and hopefully the tax refund will cover a good chunk of it.

Speaking of home stuff, when I was at the gym yesterday for the first time in a drat month, one of the two circulating pumps on the boiler started "making a buzzing noise" as per my wife. She threw the emergency switches and waited for me to come home. That "buzzing noise" sounded like a goddamned light aircraft trying to take off. On one hand, the weather is heating up a bit (gonna have to wear running shoes tonight at work, gonna be busy) ... but on the other hand, it's not going to be that warm.

So I texted my HVAC guy. He's a bit of a flake -- he'll arrange to do something then disappear for a few months to do bigger jobs and such -- but I've stuck with him since he comes through in emergencies. For reference, the first time he did anything for me was the day after Thanksgiving in I think 2014. A CO alarm was going off. He told me how to shut everything off, etc., and then said, "You know what, let me finish up my leftovers and head over." And he did. Day after Thanksgiving. Anyway, I text him and send him a video of the pump that's trying to take to the skies as well as a picture of the pump. He texts back, "I have a replacement in stock, I can be there tomorrow morning."

Then he texts me, "Open the garage door."

He walks in, disassembles the pump, and fixes it. "I was just doing paperwork, waiting for the game, nothin' better to do." Said he'll send me a bill "when I get around to it."

It's hard to find help like that nowadays. And that's why he did my A/C install instead of the big group that could do it a little cheaper and probably a little faster. Gotta keep guys like this in business.

STR posted:

Did a little digging on the address that came up on the 3rd one.
The IRS loves to go after fraudsters. Unleash the hounds forensic accountants!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

meatpimp posted:

In this case, it looks like lovely real life people, not even lovely internet people!

Well, the fired-before-my-first-day bit... I posted about it on SA and mentioned the specific location. I didn't give as much info on FB.

So that was very much lovely internet people.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It's hard to find help like that nowadays. And that's why he did my A/C install instead of the big group that could do it a little cheaper and probably a little faster. Gotta keep guys like this in business.
The IRS loves to go after fraudsters. Unleash the hounds forensic accountants!

Done long ago upon initial suspicions (also against the PH franchise I worked for, they were doing some very shady stuff), and I'll be contacting them again today.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 4, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

STR posted:

Well, the fired-before-my-first-day bit... I posted about it on SA and mentioned the specific location. I didn't give as much info on FB.

So that was very much lovely internet people.

I was talking about the identity theft bit, not the calling to get you fired dickishness.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

nm

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 4, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So back in late October we did a special order for one of our customers, 20 pounds of a very specialized alloy spun into very tight specifications. This morning our building manager came to our dept and told us it was used to make a smart wire surgical device that was snaked into a 13 year old girl's body and then activated, surrounding a tumor and then contracted, cutting the tumor on all sides and allowing them to remove the entire thing. And my code was on the finish pass of the spool so not only did I not gently caress it up but the material worked for the process.

I don't think I've ever done anything in my life that's made me feel so good.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

So back in late October we did a special order for one of our customers, 20 pounds of a very specialized alloy spun into very tight specifications. This morning our building manager came to our dept and told us it was used to make a smart wire surgical device that was snaked into a 13 year old girl's body and then activated, surrounding a tumor and then contracted, cutting the tumor on all sides and allowing them to remove the entire thing. And my code was on the finish pass of the spool so not only did I not gently caress it up but the material worked for the process.

I don't think I've ever done anything in my life that's made me feel so good.

That is really an awesome story. Good job, man.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Edited to remove super sensitive information that was publicly posted in the chat thread but is somehow my fault for commenting on it in the chat thread.

Rhyno posted:

used to make a smart wire surgical device that was snaked into a 13 year old girl's body and then activated, surrounding a tumor and then contracted, cutting the tumor on all sides and allowing them to remove the entire thing.

That is crazy cool. One hell of a lot more rewarding than selling comic books. GG, Rhyno.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 4, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fermented Tinal posted:

Yep :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
In other news, the central basement murder room has new storage.

Hopefully moving pantry stuff down there along with some small appliances will clear up the kitchen a bit.

As a side note, I do like that I have to use multiple adjectives in order to differentiate this from the other murder rooms in the house. This is not the front basement murder room, the back basement murder room, the attic murder room, or the second floor closet murder hideaway.