Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I love that they'll nap through a double tap and you can never, ever be sure unless you get the full exploding watermelon kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

My personal theory is that escaping from a grab with no damage is only allowed in the raccoon city streets (hardcore) and the streets as well as the first area of the station before you meet Marvin (standard), as those are the only times I’ve seen it happen.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Nah I've seen it happen plenty of places in my various playthroughs, it's just unreliable as hell.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Strobe posted:

The universal application of DMX to Mr. X is my favorite part of REmake2.

I don't know whether or not the meme status is a direct result of this or not, but DMX was released from prison the day REmake2 came out. Fitting!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So I'm going for Standard S rank, just got the flamethrower with about 45 minutes left. Is it feasible for me to hit par at this point? I figure I'll be cutting it close, but the labs section should be relatively quick if I'm efficient.

edit: Oh, and I'm on the 2nd run, so it's 3 hours for S rank.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 4, 2019

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I used the knife to test if they're dead or not. It loses durability pretty slowly when they're on the ground. Throw in an extra swipe or two after I think they're really dead just in case. Shoot a leg off and go to town!

I don't think it failed me yet.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Not really a spoiler but a minor exploit that might manage to cheapen the experience for first-timers so I'll cover it anyway.

Out of curiosity I've started loving around needlessly and I tried saving in the Main Hall while Mr. Stomp was close by. Obviously it doesn't let you save if he's too close but with just the right distance between you and him (perferably with him being behind those screens near where Marvin sits around and dies), it'll function as normal. Load the save and watch as the big dumb bastard looks around a bit then confusedly wanders in a random direction. Ideal if you're having first-time Clompy Problems, although not perfect since it won't necessarily stop him from walking your way and immediately spotting you again (in which case, just reload the save).

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along
Find dog kennel and think oh great, dogs.

Am relieved when they are locked in creates and I can put them down.

Turn power on, when suddenly, dogs. Everywhere.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Just gonna drop this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uarb2QvqgLI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQgA7G-rxpk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPP0WPvb61Q

I know it's a played out joke but I love it so much.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 4, 2019

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

On my most recent playthrough I started to notice just how many umbrellas are all over the station and other areas. Not the Umbrella logo, but physical umbrellas. It works thematically because it's raining outside but also, I mean, c'mon, Umbrella. Now that I've started to notice them, they're all over the place. I wouldn't be surprised if there's one stashed away in half of the rooms in the game somewhere.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

a kitten posted:

Please let me heal myself with delicious ice cream instead of diced up old herbs

Okay but it's Super Hardcore mode, so it melts in 15 minutes and disappears from your inventory unless you put it into a special item box that's only in the cold room in the lab

Also RE: killing everything, I kneecaped every zombie like John Connor told me not to kill anyone, and finished the game with 150+ handgun bullets and like 6 more gunpowders, killed every licker, and had 200+ flamethrower fuel left after roasting every plant guy I saw. No shotgun ammo, though. Crafted 3 Magnum ammo, though, so that's where the yellow powder went.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 4, 2019

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Right after you get the bolt cutters and head through the East side office, it feels so so good to use the flash grenade in that room after removing the chairs blocking the doorway on the side nearest the lobby. There are a couple of zombies in there already, possibly one that climbed in through the window after you came in from outside, then 2 more that bust in after you remove the chairs in the doorway. Flash grenading that whole room and then "whoop whoop whooping" out of there like Zoidberg and zig zagging around several zombies is one of my favorite things in the whole game now.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Jolo posted:

Right after you get the bolt cutters and head through the East side office, it feels so so good to use the flash grenade in that room after removing the chairs blocking the doorway on the side nearest the lobby. There are a couple of zombies in there already, possibly one that climbed in through the window after you came in from outside, then 2 more that bust in after you remove the chairs in the doorway. Flash grenading that whole room and then "whoop whoop whooping" out of there like Zoidberg and zig zagging around several zombies is one of my favorite things in the whole game now.

Related, feels super good to throw a grenade at the 4 zombies before the double licker hallway (there's one in the drug testing lab if you go there first). And I also appreciate the 4? zombies trying to smash through the door after you've killed Mr. X so you get to test the rocket launcher on some regular enemies. KABLAMO.

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along
Why knee cap zombies if you can't stomp them? They still take a nice bite out of you if they get near you, as it's hard to shake them now. What am I missing here?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Once a zombie is on the ground and one-legged, one headshot will stun them from then on. Makes it monumentally easier to pass by them after that.

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011
It’s also much easier to knife a zombie to death once they’ve been made to crawl. Stand on their back and slash away!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The fact that the most basic of regular zombies will occasionally just shamble back to (un)life even after eating 20 bullets is by far one of my favorite things about this. Even if it's sometimes a pain from a strictly gameplay point of view. A zombies defining characteristic is that it doesn't stay dead and it honestly cracks me up every time one of the fuckers starts up again after i'm positive that the room is now safe. Especially if i then panic and waste a bunch of ammo putting it back down.

In totally unrelated news i think i'm going to re-start because i'm working my way through the sewers and i have literally 3 bullets left :v:

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Find dog kennel and think oh great, dogs.

Am relieved when they are locked in creates and I can put them down.

Turn power on, when suddenly, dogs. Everywhere.

Did the exact same thing. I was pretty impressed that seeing the word "kennel" on the map gave me such anxiety even after all this time (i pretty much haven't played an RE game since the original version of this one!)

a kitten fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 4, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I once had a zombie that I'd blown up with a grenade, shredded the flesh from its skull with a shotgun, and shot a leg off of continue to struggle along and try to bite me. The poor creature didn't even have much of a face remaining with which to bite my ankles. I really wanna try this G-virus thing because it apparently turns you into the god drat terminator!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm taking a breather before trying a hardcore Claire A run to try to get S for the SMG. Between the infinite handgun and knife, I should be good for eschewing the SMG by turning all the powders into acid rounds. I'm just worried about that time limit and harder boss fights.

Serf
May 5, 2011

while panicking and running from mr. x i accidentally used my flash grenade when a zombie grabbed me on my way down to the jail, so after getting the parking pass i was confronted by that corridor full of zombies and mr. x. luckily, i had a GRB herb and had downed it moments earlier, and the damage shield got me through a zombie bite and mr. x punch, which owned.

i also made it down to the labs and forgot to get the magnum from the police station, whoops.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"Is this a loving JOKE!?" was the best line in the game and nothing was more perfect for that particular entry of Mr. X

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

So I had started on Hardcore when the game came out, quickly realized this was impossible since i didnt know the game mechanics or where anything was and gave. Now that I have S or S+ on all 4 campaigns on normal I'm trying for hardcore now.

After several deaths and restarts i've quickly realize that being around 2 more zombies in a tight space is pretty much guaranteed death. "Ok this time I'm going to deliberately get the grenade launcher as fast as possible" I think. Now I've died 3 times in a row while being tackled by zombies who are on fire :negative:

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Basticle posted:

So I had started on Hardcore when the game came out, quickly realized this was impossible since i didnt know the game mechanics or where anything was and gave. Now that I have S or S+ on all 4 campaigns on normal I'm trying for hardcore now.

After several deaths and restarts i've quickly realize that being around 2 more zombies in a tight space is pretty much guaranteed death. "Ok this time I'm going to deliberately get the grenade launcher as fast as possible" I think. Now I've died 3 times in a row while being tackled by zombies who are on fire :negative:

I've started forcing myself to run back a little earlier than my gut tells me to. The double lunge thing they do can get you very easily. I want to just keep firing at the leg and trust that it'll come off but on hardcore, sometimes that leg will take a full clip of Claire's gun without coming off.

Billy_Delicious
Sep 3, 2018
So 4th survivor is really goddamn difficult. Can someone let me know how close to the end I was?

past the balcony where you jump down where two lickers and some crawling zombies are. Headed down the fire escape, near where the B scenario starts where it was filled with zombies, a couple Ivy's and a G.

I take it if I had saved a flash bang for this I could have prob muddled through?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

You were in the last room

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

What's up with taking the infinite SMG to G5? I've died like 6 times to this thing until I put the LE5 away and used the GL and a bunch of grenades.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CJacobs posted:

I once had a zombie that I'd blown up with a grenade, shredded the flesh from its skull with a shotgun, and shot a leg off of continue to struggle along and try to bite me. The poor creature didn't even have much of a face remaining with which to bite my ankles. I really wanna try this G-virus thing because it apparently turns you into the god drat terminator!
You're asking for the T-virus my man, not the G-virus. The G-virus is the one that turns you into the horniest sexual predator that ever walked the Earth.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Saving flamethrower fuel by just doing tiny puffs to the guys in the lab really paid off in the long run. All that fuel did more damage then I imagined to the last bosses.

I'm pretty sure the Birkin fights would be extremely hard to do in fixed-camera mods.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I always love that these creatures these scientists spend their entire lives working on (and usually die because of it) that are supposed to be either the "ultimate battle weapon and unstoppable killing machine" or "surpassing humanity" in the G virus's case, can be killed by the application of many bullets and/or a rocket. Things they definitely would never encounter when they get sent to take out some dictator or rebellion or whatever the people they're being sold to would use them for.

I guess at least Nemesis took a shitload of ammo, a couple grenades, a full acid bath and then a railgun shot or two.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

thebardyspoon posted:

I always love that these creatures these scientists spend their entire lives working on (and usually die because of it) that are supposed to be either the "ultimate battle weapon and unstoppable killing machine" or "surpassing humanity" in the G virus's case, can be killed by the application of many bullets and/or a rocket. Things they definitely would never encounter when they get sent to take out some dictator or rebellion or whatever the people they're being sold to would use them for.

I guess at least Nemesis took a shitload of ammo, a couple grenades, a full acid bath and then a railgun shot or two.

Yeah or the Tyrant, the ultimate killing machine. His only weakness is...walking away at a brisk pace.

Serf
May 5, 2011

somebody repost the videos of that insane resident evil cgi movie with the 30-foot tall tyrants that are casually killed by a single missile from a passing plane

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It isn’t hard to imagine use cases for g-style mutants, though. It’d be a great way to launch an attack while not being culpable for it. What, are they gonna arrest and interrogate a giant berserk monster? And you can set it loose on a suicide mission in a way that would be difficult to motivate normal humans to carry out.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Thinking about it the most successful BOWs Umbrella made are probably Hunters. They are reasonably intelligent/can be commanded (see C:VX) and are pretty lethal. They'd be decent in an urban warfare situation but out in the open they're less of a threat. The T-Virus just ends up being a phyrric victory device because it fucks with plants, insects, animals and people - it makes clearing an area much more of a problem than without.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah hunters are pretty legit, presumably cheaper than a tyrant/nemesis and could probably cut up a squad of soldiers in a building or jungle (since generic soldiers don't have game protagonist powers of a jacket stopping big claws from disemboweling you and healing herbs) and you could just install like, spine bombs in them or something to get rid once the job is done.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Serf posted:

somebody repost the videos of that insane resident evil cgi movie with the 30-foot tall tyrants that are casually killed by a single missile from a passing plane

Yo.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bXsyOtrquAA

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Anonymous Robot posted:

It isn’t hard to imagine use cases for g-style mutants, though. It’d be a great way to launch an attack while not being culpable for it. What, are they gonna arrest and interrogate a giant berserk monster? And you can set it loose on a suicide mission in a way that would be difficult to motivate normal humans to carry out.
Seems like there'd not be much point to setting loose a g-mutant; why not just infect one of your targets and have them take out their own inner circle? Basically Hitman, but you poison the target with the G-virus.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

RE 6 showed them being deployed where they were not prepared, so they can be handled but that first attack is going to have massive casualties.

Serf
May 5, 2011

lmao at leon pulling out the knife. this poo poo is gloriously stupid

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I hope the modding scene for this game really takes off. I want to be able to play through the main campaign using Mr.X one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

The Tyrants being deployed in RE2 are pretty neat creations and seem designed for recon cleanups---at least that's why they're decked out in fancy suits and hats for.

The G-Virus just seems like a total Frankensteinesque fuckup, though. A virus that keeps mutating most poo poo over and over until it caves under its own weight and appendages doesn't seem too practical unless deployed in extreme cases,

Gotta love how Annette tries to make it seem like she's not that bad, even though the biotech lab computer's test case files are essentially peak mad scientist poo poo.