Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dewgy posted:

Yeah, exactly, it throws him off for a few seconds too. Not the best strategy in the world, but an entertaining one. :buddy:

I spent a good 3-5 minutes in my second stream just running him around the lobby up and down the stairs.

Mr.X is hysterical when you can make him do silly poo poo like that, and also the most horrifying thing when he just gives it to ya out of loving nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

started Claire B and I'm bewildered by how many loving items I suddenly got and how far the loving typewriter is, goddamn I miss one being in the main hall. where are the typewriters ahhhhh

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

started Claire B and I'm bewildered by how many loving items I suddenly got and how far the loving typewriter is, goddamn I miss one being in the main hall. where are the typewriters ahhhhh

:same:

Well i'll just pop over here and save and drop some poo poo off and...oh hi Marv.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Once Doctor Evil starts stomping around the main hall isn’t a safe space anymore so gently caress it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Coffee And Pie posted:

Once Doctor Evil starts stomping around the main hall isn’t a safe space anymore so gently caress it.

on the b path its not safe immediately, theres i think minimum three zombies kicking around.

i know mr. x can go in the main hall but its so massive that it never really impeded me when the box and typewriter were there.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

so I preordered the deluxe game from Best Buy.

Was I supposed to get a second code for the extra Samurai Edge models? Was that a code I'd get after picking up the game or before?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I'm planning out my S+ runs, and I'm trying to figure out the best places to use the 3 saves, I'm thinking sometime after Birkin 1, right before Birkin 2 and 3. The latter two seem like a must for how quickly those fights can go to poo poo. Are there any parts I should consider saving prior?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

s.i.r.e. posted:

So I'm planning out my S+ runs, and I'm trying to figure out the best places to use the 3 saves, I'm thinking sometime after Birkin 1, right before Birkin 2 and 3. The latter two seem like a must for how quickly those fights can go to poo poo. Are there any parts I should consider saving prior?

If you're playing Claire, it's a really good idea to burn a save during Sherry's section.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Wanderer posted:

If you're playing Claire, it's a really good idea to burn a save during Sherry's section.

Why? Is it because of the section? That thing is so prescripted you can't fail once you have the solution

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I just finished a "do-everything" playthrough where I ignored my speedrun knowledge and just took my time, watched the cutscenes while munching popcorn, explored the whole station and did all the optional stuff like it was the first time all over again, and it was cool!

...Except I fell literally 6 seconds short of the S+ rank. :suicide:

edit: Loaded my last autosave and kicked Mr. X The Flaming Demon's rear end as hard as I could and saved just enough time!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 5, 2019

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Vic posted:

Why? Is it because of the section? That thing is so prescripted you can't fail once you have the solution

I'm surprised they didn't change his pattern at all between A and B.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Republicans posted:

I'm surprised they didn't change his pattern at all between A and B.

He works more or less exactly the same as Mia’s tape in RE7 does. It’s kind of interesting how the remake mashes a ton of stuff from RE7 into the old formula, but they did just a good design job with the pair of them that you barely even notice. Hell, after starting a new Normal run in RE7 and working my way up to Madhouse I think I appreciate it even more. :3:

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Vic posted:

I figure it's because of the dog gauntlet

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, just a bit of reflection:

Mr. X in the original gets this big opening video, and he just kinda appears in the hallway when you first see him. It's a shock, because you turn the corner and suddenly, trench coat terminator is coming at you. And for the rest of the run, he pulls a Kool-Aid man on you, breaking down walls to get at you. It gives him this air of being a sort of super-monster, a zombie that the loading screen won't save you from. As you play more and get wise, you can find out when the scripts act, so a bit of the tension is gone, but he's still a hell of a difference from the other enemies.

This Mr. X is more horrifying in a drawn-out tension way. Whereas the first one had shock value when he punches through a wall, this one stalks you. You hear him before you see him, and aside from a few safe rooms he could be anywhere in the building. Bullets bounce off him, he can only be stunned for a minute at most, and he never stops gunning for you. And if you're attacked by a Zombie, he'll just watch you die, or wait until you're done playing before getting in a sneak punch. And the opening, where he bends a helicopter in half to get at you, does a wonderful job of setting the tone: nothing is going to stop this thing.

The first game, he was a monster. In the remake, he's a force.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Wait, so the Quickdraw is only available at Claire's B run? That's dumb, I loved that thing, and the default gun sucks.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Honest Thief posted:

Wait, so the Quickdraw is only available at Claire's B run? That's dumb, I loved that thing, and the default gun sucks.

B run guns are all in some way reflective of the bonus costumes from the Special Locker in the original RE2. Claire had the quickdraw instead of a second costume, while Leon had a costume that made him hold his pistol "gangsta" style, so his B route gun does that by default.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Can you just get two inventory pouch upgrades on hardcore? I think I got the one in the W Office Safe and the one in the Storage locker and that was it. Claire B on Hardcore must be such a hassle of inventory rationing.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

The Quickdraw is the worst gun in the game in this one.

Jolo posted:

Can you just get two inventory pouch upgrades on hardcore? I think I got the one in the W Office Safe and the one in the Storage locker and that was it. Claire B on Hardcore must be such a hassle of inventory rationing.

There's the one in the lab!! :pseudo: But yeah, you only get 3 upgrades on Hardcore.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

What the hell is this album cover:

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

It's in the Nap room, right? I thought I checked on it but maybe I just checked the cabinet but not the table and continued on.

I finished Claire A on Hardcore last night and the final fight came down to the wire. I ditched the pistol and went in with just the grenade launcher and the smg. I shot all of the minigun ammo and all of the smg ammo and got the kill shot with only two grenade rounds left in my inventory. It was thrilling.

I couldn't find a great use for the Sparkshot on hardcore. The best part is that it locks the enemy in place, but a fully charged shot doesn't kill a zombie. I ended up using it to clear out the plants and then put it in the box forever. Two charged sparkshots and one flame round finished off most of the plant enemies, if you're curious.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It is in the nap room but you have to make a return trip for it since you need to turn the power on to get it.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

What the hell is this album cover:

it's like the big eye logo but instead it's an ear because sound

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

J.A.B.C. posted:

So, just a bit of reflection:

Mr. X in the original gets this big opening video, and he just kinda appears in the hallway when you first see him. It's a shock, because you turn the corner and suddenly, trench coat terminator is coming at you. And for the rest of the run, he pulls a Kool-Aid man on you, breaking down walls to get at you. It gives him this air of being a sort of super-monster, a zombie that the loading screen won't save you from. As you play more and get wise, you can find out when the scripts act, so a bit of the tension is gone, but he's still a hell of a difference from the other enemies.

This Mr. X is more horrifying in a drawn-out tension way. Whereas the first one had shock value when he punches through a wall, this one stalks you. You hear him before you see him, and aside from a few safe rooms he could be anywhere in the building. Bullets bounce off him, he can only be stunned for a minute at most, and he never stops gunning for you. And if you're attacked by a Zombie, he'll just watch you die, or wait until you're done playing before getting in a sneak punch. And the opening, where he bends a helicopter in half to get at you, does a wonderful job of setting the tone: nothing is going to stop this thing.

The first game, he was a monster. In the remake, he's a force.

I love his new role in this game, as well. He was cool in the original as the "bonus" to a B-scenario but you could usually run to the next room away from him (besides that scene where he's on the monitor). Mr. X in this one puts all the dogshit horror scarecam games to shame with those enemies that follow/spot you

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

DLC Inc posted:

I love his new role in this game, as well. He was cool in the original as the "bonus" to a B-scenario but you could usually run to the next room away from him (besides that scene where he's on the monitor). Mr. X in this one puts all the dogshit horror scarecam games to shame with those enemies that follow/spot you

So how many other games have really captured the feeling of being chased by a Terminator like this? :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Alien Isolation is the only major one I could think of, and even then I don't really like that game because I feel the Alien is too highly tuned and aware.

edit: Case in point, one of the more videogamey things about the Alien is that it automatically 'knows' to search through rooms you are hiding in. The longer you spend loitering waiting for it to go farther away, the more often it'll come back until it finds you. Even if it has no way of knowing you're in that area, it will gravitate there anyway. That's just not fun, it's a step too far over the line in my opinion. Mr. X is a perfect middle ground for the kind of game RE2 is and I'm glad he's so 'simple-but-not-really' in design and function.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 5, 2019

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

DLC Inc posted:

The cool thing about Mr. X, to me, is how he fits into the larger design of the game. Enemies in this game can generally always be approached on your terms. They’re highly dangerous, but can be neutralized with relative ease with the proper application of resources. The challenge comes in playing the long game, judging how these encounters can be navigated with the least possible expenditure of resources.

Then comes Mr. X, who is not very dangerous on his own, but puts pressure on the player and constricts the amount of time they can spend making those rational estimations they make when engaging normal enemies. Then you either get caught up in traps you would’ve otherwise defused, or overspend resources out of panic. It’s really smart.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
So is S+ rank literally just S rank time with 3 or fewer saves and no infinite weapons other than the infinite knife? Does that go for Hardcore runs as well?

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Sheen Sheen posted:

So is S+ rank literally just S rank time with 3 or fewer saves and no infinite weapons other than the infinite knife? Does that go for Hardcore runs as well?

Yes.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Updated cheat sheet:

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Thanks! Are the S/S+ times for Hardcore shorter than Standard? I’m specifically asking here on SA because googling is getting me a bunch of conflicting answers. I was barely able to finish Leon A on Standard in under 3 hours, which apparently gave me more than enough time for S+ but I’m dreading trying to beat that on Hardcore, especially if I have to do it even faster

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Sheen Sheen posted:

Thanks! Are the S/S+ times for Hardcore shorter than Standard? I’m specifically asking here on SA because googling is getting me a bunch of conflicting answers. I was barely able to finish Leon A on Standard in under 3 hours, which apparently gave me more than enough time for S+ but I’m dreading trying to beat that on Hardcore, especially if I have to do it even faster

Yes. S rank on hardcore is 1 hour shorter than on standard. So 1st run: 2 hours and 30 minutes. 2nd run: 2 hours.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Would I like re2make if I enjoyed 4?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Jeez that's a harsh time limit, gonna start doing hardcore runs now so will see how that goes. Made it through standard with S a couple times, this last one without using the item box at all and the time before that without healing at all. Still not got the low carbon footprint achievement though, think I was about a 1000 over so pretty easy if I avoid grabbing the upgrade from the stars office and any other unnecessary poo poo.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Can you use infinite weapons on carbon footprint runs? I feel like they’re tailor-made for that

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Calaveron posted:

Yeah probably. Its less action-y in favor of being more survival-y

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Sheen Sheen posted:

Can you use infinite weapons on carbon footprint runs? I feel like they’re tailor-made for that

I would assume so but don't know for sure since I don't have it yet, I've used the infinite knife and pistol for the no healing at all achievement and got it fine, obviously couldn't use them for the no item box one. I think the only thing using the pistol disqualifies you from is the + on a hardcore S run that otherwise fulfils all the criteria for an S+. The infinite pistol is only really good to save one slot for handgun ammo but I sorta prefer the quirks of most of the other handguns to the really basic infinite one myself.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Calaveron posted:

It's better than 4

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

AllisonByProxy posted:

Updated cheat sheet:

For some reason I always get the DCM and CAP ones mixed up

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So I've got a safe code, how exactly am I supposed to open them? Confirm after each number?

Edit: Nevermind, direction is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Go from one to the next, left -> right -> left, then confirm on the last number.