Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
so i did an hour on a rowing machine at my apartment's gym yesterday, which i loving hate going to because it's always packed but not on superbowl sunday

confirmed i do not like the concept 2 and i'll be buying a water rower, which i was leaning towards anyway because of the noise

i felt like i was going to die today though but nothing actually hurt as in i hosed up, just sore everywhere, so hooray youtube videos

still have yet to push the purchase button on a $1200+ dollar item yet tho, going to sit on it another day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Vasudus posted:

so i did an hour on a rowing machine at my apartment's gym yesterday, which i loving hate going to because it's always packed but not on superbowl sunday

confirmed i do not like the concept 2 and i'll be buying a water rower, which i was leaning towards anyway because of the noise

i felt like i was going to die today though but nothing actually hurt as in i hosed up, just sore everywhere, so hooray youtube videos

still have yet to push the purchase button on a $1200+ dollar item yet tho, going to sit on it another day

My man, have you heard the good word about kettlebell swings? By swings I mean 20 seconds as hard as you can go with 10 seconds of rest. And by "good" I mean it's a chunk of iron that will make you its bitch in a couple minutes flat. Longer aerobic stuff like a steady row for an hour can be great depending on your goals, but there's also the flip side where you do 10 rounds with a kettlebell and fall over puking everywhere.

They're a whole lot cheaper than rowers, too.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i cannot do most exercises due to injuries sustained

there's a reason i'm using a rowing machine

i worked with two physical therapists (one with a doctorate in athletic training) at my old client and they both recommended i use one

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I need to get better at distance for rowing, I almost always just do 5k. I've only ever used a Concept 2 so interested in your thoughts on water rowers

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I dicked around with a water rower a few times at another gym last year, the motion felt much smoother and more natural compared to a concept 2. The C2 is like the gold standard in performance training and such, but since I'm using it for personal use a water rower is fine. The noise difference is extreme too, the water rower is probably a tenth as loud.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Evil SpongeBob posted:

If you have kids, go HoCo. Schools are much better. Source, my wife was a Howard teacher and my kid went to Anne Arundel. Montgomery schools used to be good until DC started pushing in and bringing the schools down.

We're not planning on having kids, so thankfully we don't have to worry about that aspect nearly as much.

Still, I'm not a chud dipshit who hates paying taxes for good school systems so I'd prefer to go somewhere where the school systems are getting adequate funding if I can help it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm going to KSA for work in a month. Anything I should know aside from don't write for the Washington Post?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Handsome Ralph posted:

We're not planning on having kids, so thankfully we don't have to worry about that aspect nearly as much.

Still, I'm not a chud dipshit who hates paying taxes for good school systems so I'd prefer to go somewhere where the school systems are getting adequate funding if I can help it.

Good schools do affect your home prices. I just found this out as my MD house was districted just outside the new high school right before I sold and transferred to CA.

Overall, I had no problem with living in MD. I compared it to vanilla ice cream, no one's favorite, but everyone can deal with it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

psydude posted:

I'm going to KSA for work in a month. Anything I should know aside from don't write for the Washington Post?

It's hot.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

psydude posted:

The country is full of assholes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Accept it when they offer their free passport storage service

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Don't get caught with booze you're not supposed to have.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Find a different job

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The kingdom of Saud is not our friend, gently caress what the state department says.

Treat them like adversaries.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Vasudus posted:

I dicked around with a water rower a few times at another gym last year, the motion felt much smoother and more natural compared to a concept 2. The C2 is like the gold standard in performance training and such, but since I'm using it for personal use a water rower is fine. The noise difference is extreme too, the water rower is probably a tenth as loud.

Not that I'm trying to change your mind at all, but there's one thing you could be doing wrong here and that's having the drag setting too high. The average gym bunny has it set on 10, which is great for developing explosive strength for meat wagon rowers but the equivalent to a real boat is more like 3. The computer compensates for different drag settings so you won't be doing any less work but making that change will cause you to row with a longer, smoother stroke. A water rower will still be quieter though, there's nothing you can change for that.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

psydude posted:

Don’t?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

psydude posted:

In my 30-odd years of touring the oil producing shitholes less developed and culturally lacking ares of the world, and I did a lot of them, my greatest achievement was never having gone to KSA.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

psydude posted:

lol the only way I'd ever go there would be as part of an invasion. I'd loving reenlist for that poo poo

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Burt posted:

In my 30-odd years of touring the oil producing shitholes less developed and culturally lacking ares of the world, and I did a lot of them, my greatest achievement was never having gone to KSA.

I tried to get them to meet in Bahrain or Dubai (or literally any other visa-free Arab state), but they insisted on KSA.

I've transited through Jeddah before and the only thing that stuck out (aside from the lack of booze) was the variety of dates available at the duty free.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

bunch of money got stolen out of my checking account (USAA) causing my rent payment to bounce. this is twice this has happened (account info getting stolen, not my rent bouncing). is twice in ten years a high rate of this? probably, but i'm considering changing banks even if it isn't. i'm not sure what happened since USAA isn't open yet, but the damage is done. someone out there must have my account info or something, i dunno. i only shop at amazon online, and i rarely swipe my debit card (though i've been swiping it a lot these last few weeks and using credit a lot less).

i haven't gotten any notification from my landlord but the amount the email said i was insufficient is equal to my rent payment, so i'm expecting it. to be safe i paid it again, but there's going to be a late fee attached so i had to pay more.

hoorayyyyyy

e: i was up stressing about it so much that monty fed off my energy and vomited.

colachute fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 5, 2019

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's entirely possible that a check wound up in someone's hands. That's all they need to get your account info.

Open up a new account, and transfer the old account balance to it. Then close out the old one once USAA finishes the investigation.

Sorry my dude. I've had a similar thing happen a few years ago, but it was because my alcoholic ex kept a check.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

colachute posted:

bunch of money got stolen out of my checking account (USAA) causing my rent payment to bounce. this is twice this has happened (account info getting stolen, not my rent bouncing). is twice in ten years a high rate of this? probably, but i'm considering changing banks even if it isn't. i'm not sure what happened since USAA isn't open yet, but the damage is done. someone out there must have my account info or something, i dunno. i only shop at amazon online, and i rarely swipe my debit card (though i've been swiping it a lot these last few weeks and using credit a lot less).

i haven't gotten any notification from my landlord but the amount the email said i was insufficient is equal to my rent payment, so i'm expecting it. to be safe i paid it again, but there's going to be a late fee attached so i had to pay more.

hoorayyyyyy

e: i was up stressing about it so much that monty fed off my energy and vomited.

drat that really sucks. Are the transactions listed as a cash transfer, or debit card purchases? In theory, someone could have stolen your banking credentials and defeated the SMS 2FA to transfer money out (it would be pretty obvious when you look at the account activity), but it's more likely that someone hacked a payment processor.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Please don't use debit cards linked to your main account. In fact, just avoid them if at all possible.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Please don't use debit cards linked to your main account. In fact, just avoid them if at all possible.

Card skimming has gotten big again.

If you are using a debit at a atm or gas pump, pull on the reader to make sure it’s actually the reader and not a skimming device.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

colachute posted:

hoorayyyyyy

gently caress dude now I’m stressed. Gonna comb through my accounts.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

That’s what I typically do but I was trying to go kind of pseudo-cash only for a few months. Looks like if I’m going to do that I need to actually get cash instead of just spending out of my checking.

The bank says it looks like someone cashed a check. They timed it perfect because the check went through right before my rent payment came out. It was enough to wipe out most of my second checking account that I use for OD protection, and enough that I couldn’t pay my rent. I don’t know how someone got a check or how people can forge checks. I’m not sure if that type of thing can be tracked down either. But at least I’m getting my money back.

The leasing office said as long as I can get something from USAA to substantiate this, they will completely erase the issue and let the payment I made today work. So the only thing I’m out is a small percentage fee for using a payment method that isn’t auto draft.

All in all the biggest price I paid was inconvenience and stress, so I guess I don’t have much to bitch about. I’m getting a new account number on both of my accounts just to be safe, but I still may shop around for another main bank.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

USAA will absolutely track that person down. First off, they have a copy of the check. Second, every place that accepts checks will have cameras that show who it was that passed the bad note. This will get turned over to police, and they will prosecute. USAA is refunding you the money because they're awesome. Some banks will just tell you tough poo poo and assist with identifying the thief and make you seek restitution. In this case, USAA will seek restitution.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Mr. Nice! posted:

USAA will absolutely track that person down. First off, they have a copy of the check. Second, every place that accepts checks will have cameras that show who it was that passed the bad note. This will get turned over to police, and they will prosecute. USAA is refunding you the money because they're awesome. Some banks will just tell you tough poo poo and assist with identifying the thief and make you seek restitution. In this case, USAA will seek restitution.

Yeah, the banks have a vested interest in stopping whoever is doing this. So there is that at least.

But USAA is unique in that they will give you your money back. Ask me about working at Bank of America and having to tell people who went through this poo poo that we were gonna do gently caress all for them aside from freezing their accounts and opening new ones for them.

gently caress I hated that job.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

In ten years I’ve had a handful of unauthorized charges. Two were sizeable to the point where my life would have been legitimately affected if I couldn’t get my money back (today included). They’ve refunded my money every time on the spot without much fuss.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
just loving lol that in tyool 2018 people are still trying to pass off forged checks despite that poo poo getting blasted on the news every time someone tries to steal $2.31

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

just loving lol that in tyool 2018 people are still trying to pass off forged checks despite that poo poo getting blasted on the news every time someone tries to steal $2.31

Had my family friend just mimic a girl's voice to have a new debit card sent to Los Angeles. She leaves in Hawaii.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

It's 2019.

This is the forums version of forgetting the year when you're shopping for groceries and write a check.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Like the other guy said there’s still banks like BoA that will tell victims to gently caress off for a year while the CFPB does nothing because of regulatory capture.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Soulex posted:

Had my family friend just mimic a girl's voice to have a new debit card sent to Los Angeles. She leaves in Hawaii.

When I was still living in Korea I went on a family vacation to Kauai, my parents brought my new Visa with them. I activated it from a condo in Kauai while my principle residence was still listed as being in Toronto and all the charges on it from the last year and a half being in Korea/SE Asia

That dude asked me every goddamn security question he could think of and I thanked him for it.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

What I’m trying to wrap my head around though, is how someone was even able to cash such a large check? You need ID for that right? This is kind of rhetorical but if anyone has insight I’ll take it but... can someone really be that stupid?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

colachute posted:

What I’m trying to wrap my head around though, is how someone was even able to cash such a large check? You need ID for that right? This is kind of rhetorical but if anyone has insight I’ll take it but... can someone really be that stupid?

People that are passing bad checks oftentimes also have some type of addiction issues going on as well. So yes, they can be that dumb.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I know we’re talking about checks but I’ll just make a PSA to check gas station pumps

Not sure how relevant those techniques are still. But just have a good look, give it a tug, and check for a tamper seal. That said, anyone could just add their own I’m sure. A lot of people got hit at a local gas station, myself included. Thankfully my fraud alert had popped off right away and they cancelled the card, refunded me the money: think they spent $350 at a local foot locker and $9 at 7-11. I called the non-emergency line, a detective called me back and he took my info and gave me a case number. That was years ago now

If it was your debit/checking account, sounds like much more of a headache

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 5, 2019

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Banks are way too laid back when it comes to checks.

Christmas 2017 my mom called me to tell me my PNC account was overdrafted (we had a joint account from when I was 16). I was like wow wtf? How is that possible? We don’t use that account and haven’t in many many years.

Navy Federal cashed a check that was dated 2007. They cashed a TEN YEAR OLD CHECK. My ex that I had to suddenly get away from and I left most of my things behind to get away from the potential abuse has an old checkbook of mine. He traced the writing from the carbon copy of an older check that was already cashed (it was a mirror copy of my handwriting but different ink).

PNC undid the over draw and took back the fees. And filed fraud charges on him. I have no idea how he would think he would get away with that. Also if he was that hard up for $150 he could have asked....

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Also dont forget about that Equifax breach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My Discover card has been compromised a couple of times. First time I was in Germany, but ironically hadn't used it there. They tried to test it with a $1 charge to Tree Fort Media or whatever, which is some kind of web design training thing or whatever. That got flagged immediately. Second time was last year when I was deployed. They made a few charges at some stupid country music bar in Minneapolis that I wouldn't be caught dead in. Discover caught it after the third charge.