Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

e: there’s also this exchange between Roddenberry and Herb Wright:

quote:

He wanted to put a gigantic codpiece on the Ferengi...he spent 25 minutes explaining to me all the sexual positions the Ferengi could go through. I finally said, 'Gene, this is a family show, on at 7:00 on Saturdays'. He finally said, 'Okay, you're right.'

skasion fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Brawnfire posted:

Does anyone have handy the primary source that said the Ferengi were originally meant to be donkey-dicked god-tier lovers?

Powered Descent posted:

"They also have prodigious sexual appetites and it is said their genitals are of a shape and dimension that Earth women have found as enjoyable as their sexual techniques." -Gene Roddenberry, 1987

e: Dang.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's funny how that's all a perfectly good series of ideas for a Star Trek race except there's that one sentence.

Also I guess that explains why the Ferengi were always in a glowing white field on the viewscreen at first, I never got what was up with that.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I love the idea of the bridge being some awful hazardous place where people regularly break their ankles in service to luxury.

Some crewman is wandering the ship, unable to find his quarters in the endless curving corridors of identical doors, and refuses to ask for help. There's three hours left before the next shift, and a sonic shower would be amazing right now. Tears well in his eyes. There's a feline supplement with his name on it in that room.

"Luxurious," he whispers. Post-scarcity is a beautiful hell, a ship so massive and depopulated that you really can spend 12 hours lost, utterly alone, seeking succor in the soft bosom of your bed. The door tags are no help. What deck is his room on? What deck is he on?

The same potted plant passes by for the fiftieth time. Fully-automated luxury space Communism. These words appear unbidden in his mind. The future is torment. The future is ecstasy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tighclops posted:

If you just avoid walking on the red part of the carpet you'll be fine though

Oh my god that is literally what it was for wasn’t it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It's also to mark the void shield perimeter, so no worthless serf can intrude upon the Lord Commander Picard while he communicates with the Holy Enterprise of Piety's machine-spirit.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Thanks, everyone! My friend is doing his first TNG watch-thru, and had a theory about ferengi dicks.

I wanted to offer some sources

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Brawnfire posted:

Thanks, everyone! My friend is doing his first TNG watch-thru, and had a theory about ferengi dicks.

I wanted to offer some sources
The cruel Federation denies the Ferengi the muscular treatments they need to deal with the burden of their magnum dongs. Truly, space is a hellscape of suffering and hypocrisy.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

It's funny how that's all a perfectly good series of ideas for a Star Trek race except there's that one sentence.

Honestly, it kind of strikes me as less messed up than the actual result of Ferengi getting intermittently ear-wanked on screen.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

They also crack down on Oo-mox parlors and subspace classifieds postings

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Tighclops posted:

If you just avoid walking on the red part of the carpet you'll be fine though

That's the coward's way out. Leap over the wooden rail every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPhOJsa8khs&t=4s

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I mean the darting movements also looked REAL REAL REAL loving dumb in early TNG.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gorelab posted:

I mean the darting movements also looked REAL REAL REAL loving dumb in early TNG.

The introduction of the Ferengi was a disaster and everyone who worked on the show knew it, which is why they cut them back to one episode for season 2 (the one with the douchebag master strategist guy). I wonder what they would have done if the Ferengi had still sucked there, shitcanned them altogether?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
If the Ferengi penis is three feet long, it stands to reason the Ferengi vagina is about four, and the Ferengi womb is inside the skull, and Ferengi are born from the mouth, or perhaps both ears, with an evil capitalist Ferengi coming out the right ear, and a good moral Ferengi out the left, who is immediately ritually executed. Furthermore...

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

I wonder how often people tripped over the ends of that big wooden horseshoe rail thing on the bridge. It extends out a surprising distance at just about ankle height.

RIP Star Trek Experience, you had a pretty sweet replica bridge

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Generations had the best bridge. And best D. Probably because they used the original ILM model.

Too bad about the rest of the film.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Despite how impractical the D's bridge was I can't help but love that whole aesthetic both it and the whole ship had. The whole thing with making the D more a mobile space colony/city than a ship is one of those concepts I wish they had been more willing to embrace rather than shy away from. We still got a few episodes about that but they really walked back from that before outright abandoning it in later shows.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

They kind of have to do it though. It would have cost way too much execute to any real satisfaction.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’d imagine if you weren’t looking at the signs, you would probably get super confused as to where you were on the D, since it’s probably dozens of miles of the same looping beige corridor

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

HD DAD posted:

I’d imagine if you weren’t looking at the signs, you would probably get super confused as to where you were on the D,

it's really an in-or-out proposition

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
oh pick, you CARD

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

HD DAD posted:

I’d imagine if you weren’t looking at the signs, you would probably get super confused as to where you were on the D, since it’s probably dozens of miles of the same looping beige corridor

I mean, they showed in one of the very first episodes, all you gotta do is ask the computer and it’ll put a red line for you to follow.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Also I guess that explains why the Ferengi were always in a glowing white field on the viewscreen at first, I never got what was up with that.

I always thought it was lack of budget.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Phylodox posted:

I mean, they showed in one of the very first episodes, all you gotta do is ask the computer and it’ll put a red line for you to follow.

And then a female ensign will stare at your butt as you leave

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Pakled posted:

That's the coward's way out. Leap over the wooden rail every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPhOJsa8khs&t=4s

Does anyone still have the looping gif of Worf jumping the rail and then flying out the sunroof porthole into space? Or is that gone forever?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

galagazombie posted:

Despite how impractical the D's bridge was I can't help but love that whole aesthetic both it and the whole ship had.

Yeah, I think the TNG bridge will forever be my favorite sci-fi set. As much as I dig a gritty and "lived-in" spaceship, the cleanness and simplicity of the Enterprise has always fascinated me.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

galagazombie posted:

Despite how impractical the D's bridge was I can't help but love that whole aesthetic both it and the whole ship had. The whole thing with making the D more a mobile space colony/city than a ship is one of those concepts I wish they had been more willing to embrace rather than shy away from. We still got a few episodes about that but they really walked back from that before outright abandoning it in later shows.

The D's bridge is loving great and it's one of the only Star Trek sets that really highlights the Federation as a uniquely futuristic thing. Like, yeah, it has some execution problems, the materials are all 80s as gently caress, and it could use several passes by someone actually familiar with creating a good work environment, but conceptually it's great. It's not the bridge of a naval ship so much as it is an office in space, and that works perfectly with what TNG was supposed to be.

Hugs Boson
Feb 3, 2011

Elementary.

bennyfactor posted:

Does anyone still have the looping gif of Worf jumping the rail and then flying out the sunroof porthole into space? Or is that gone forever?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
TNG season 3 got off to a fantastic start, but "The Bonding" almost put us to sleep. The kid whose mom died wasn't really very interesting, the whole "alien creates an illusion to preserve the memory of someone who died" was just done 2 episodes ago for a much more compelling reason, and it was overall just really really downbeat. And maybe it's just hindsight looking at '90s pop psychology, but the idea that Wesley talking about his feelings when his dad died would line up perfectly with this other kid's feelings about his mom dying, immediately causing him to open up about everything, was eye-rolling.

Apparently this was the first episode written by Ron Moore. I can kind of see how this would've worked better on DS9 or later episodes of TNG, where the characters were more developed and could handle a story that's 90% exploring emotions, 10% sci-fi.

I also wonder if this episode had anything to do with the drama surrounding Wil Wheaton's role in the series at this point. Allegedly he was told he needed to be there for the start of filming the season because they were doing a big Wesley episode -- which jeopardized a movie role for him -- and then the first episodes they filmed ended up having basically nothing for him to do. So he was pissed. But if at any point this was considered the first episode to be filmed, that actually would've been true.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

HD DAD posted:

I still think they should've had like slide-out colored panels and stuff that changed for different ship sections.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

galagazombie posted:

The whole thing with making the D more a mobile space colony/city than a ship is one of those concepts I wish they had been more willing to embrace rather than shy away from.

The "families on a ship in extremely dangerous situations" thing bugged me.

How many little kids died when the Jem Haddar took out the Odyssey?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cessna posted:

How many little kids died when the Jem Haddar took out the Odyssey?

None, they knew it was a particularly dangerous mission and offloaded them to deep space nice

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The entire point of Saucer Sep was meant to be so that they could have it both ways and offload the 'city' part of the ship whenever they went into a tactical situation, but they realised it was a narrative drag and the stardrive section looked really dumb.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cessna posted:

Yeah, it was super dumb. Feels like they maybe wanted to use the "city in space" as a plot device and then immediately gave up on that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

None, they knew it was a particularly dangerous mission and offloaded them to deep space nice
Deep Space 69

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Deep Space 69

*Turns ship around to dock on pylon*

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Will Keiko be watching the hundreds of orphans, or is that Quark's job?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Remember the end of the DS9 Tribble episode and there's Tribble everywhere? Like that, but human toddlers.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

The entire point of Saucer Sep was meant to be so that they could have it both ways and offload the 'city' part of the ship whenever they went into a tactical situation, but they realised it was a narrative drag and the stardrive section looked really dumb.

I suspect there was also a practical issue where any new footage of the stardrive section would have much more limited utility for re-use.

Sir Lemming posted:

I also wonder if this episode had anything to do with the drama surrounding Wil Wheaton's role in the series at this point. Allegedly he was told he needed to be there for the start of filming the season because they were doing a big Wesley episode -- which jeopardized a movie role for him -- and then the first episodes they filmed ended up having basically nothing for him to do. So he was pissed. But if at any point this was considered the first episode to be filmed, that actually would've been true.

I thought it was season 4 that he was told he was needed for and Berman jerked him around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cessna posted:

Will Keiko be watching the hundreds of orphans, or is that Quark's job?

Oh like starfleet doesn't have a well-established orphan processing department