Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I know I talked poo poo about this game over the last few days, but I'm slowly coming around to it. I played with 2 goons last night (one of which who had never played AL) and we won our 3rd game. Communication and teamwork takes this from being kinda poo poo to a fun time. Add HAIL-KING-BEAR on PS4, because I think if I had a full group to run with at any given time, this would be much more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomVanDam
Apr 25, 2010
Yo this game is genuinely fantastic.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TomVanDam posted:

Yo this game is genuinely fantastic.

yeah! I got a win last night and it felt great

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
If you get a hemlock, switch it to single fire. It has basically no recoil, high accuracy, and solid damage. It absolutely shreds

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

tweet my meat posted:

If you get a hemlock, switch it to single fire. It has basically no recoil, high accuracy, and solid damage. It absolutely shreds

Also there is a Digital Threat(?) scope for shotguns. It's a yellow attachment. I put it on the Peacekeeper and it shreds. I think what it does it make the spread tighter the longer you ADS.

The Peacekeeper and the G7 are my go-to guns after last night.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

bear is driving! posted:

Also there is a Digital Threat(?) scope for shotguns. It's a yellow attachment. I put it on the Peacekeeper and it shreds. I think what it does it make the spread tighter the longer you ADS.

The Peacekeeper and the G7 are my go-to guns after last night.

What does that Dgital Threat scope do? Aside from a really long zoom I couldn't figure out what made it unique.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
okay ill try

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Morphix posted:

What does that Dgital Threat scope do? Aside from a really long zoom I couldn't figure out what made it unique.

Enemies glow red even through smoke.

What bear is describing is actually how the choke addon functions for the peacekeeper: when you ADS it starts charging and decreases the spread down to a pinpoint over a few seconds.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Morphix posted:

Honestly I don't know. I think it highlights enemies in red when looking at them, and I think it might make the spread tighten up. The one I found was for shotguns/pistols/smgs.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Anyone given Caustic a try yet, on paper he doesn't look amazing but I'm curious what people who have played him think of his gas abilities.

He's unplayable. Worst hero by far and his abilities are nearly useless. Gas does pretty much no damage and also hurts your teammates and obscures their vision. The bombs have a very small range and just leak out the same gas. They're also massive, easy to spot, and easy to avoid.

There is no reason to play him. Buy Mirage instead.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Partial Octopus posted:

He's unplayable. Worst hero by far and his abilities are nearly useless. Gas does pretty much no damage and also hurts your teammates and obscures their vision. The bombs have a very small range and just leak out the same gas. They're also massive, easy to spot, and easy to avoid.

Caustic is trash but at the very least this much isn't true :v:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Im guessing the two "air strike" powers don't hurt your team mates, but do they hurt you?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Headset turns out to be dead, so didn't send out any PS goon invites last night. New one should be here tomorrow.

Played 10 matches last night all pubbies. 3 wins! Only 1 match where someone broke off early, but me and the other dude beelined it back to join up with him and he ended up deciding to group play well, and we won that match. Ping ping ping ping ping. If you are using it well/tons, others seem to as well. It's so, so good.

This is the first game in a long time where I actively want to talk about "that awesome match I had last night!". There's like 3 great ones, but one was probably the coolest video game moment I have had in a decade. We're running around, full squad, only 2 other squads left. Find one squad hunkered down in a small building. Teammates rush in and get obliterated. I'm on Mirage, hugging one side outside of the door, toss my decoy across the door and one dude runs right out after it. I pop ult, stealth back behind the 2 remaining enemies, unload with the Evo8 into one until he's down, swap empty shtogun for an LMG, blast 2nd dude down. 3rd guy rushes back in before I can reload, empty the rest of the LMG into him, doesn't die, I have 2 empty guns, hail mary punch dude in the face for 30 damage. It's enough. Squad wiped. Get my squad all back up. Heal/shield up, find the other squad, decoy around one side while three of us circle behind team chasing after decoy, insta wipe them. YOU ARE THE CHAMPION.

So. loving. Good.

New complaint though: 3 of my 10 matches we got squad wiped before I even got a weapon. Matches are way faster than other BRs, so not terrible, but it would feel less lovely if everyone started with at least a weakass garbage pistol so it felt like you weren't COMPLETELY useless.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 6, 2019

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
So, this game is good?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Emalde posted:

Caustic is trash but at the very least this much isn't true :v:

Is it not? I could have sworn it did, similar to Gibraltar and Bangalore alt. But I only played like 5 games with him before switching back to someone useful.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Samovar posted:

So, this game is good?

No

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Samovar posted:

So, this game is good?

Very good.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Emalde posted:

He feels extremely ill-suited to the nature of this game, where the advantage is gained from constantly shifting between loot points. He is extremely scary if you survive the full 20 minutes and are down to the smallest circle where he can spook people in whatever chokepoints are generated by the circle, but for 95% of a game his traps are just statically-placed smoke grenades which present about zero threat (especially if you place them out in the open where people can just shoot them lol). The poison damage on them isn't just anemic, it may as well not exist and I think it would take somebody a full 30 seconds sitting in a circle of 6 of them to even start to worry. They are glorified smoke grenades in every way, and Bangalore is a lot better at handling that (and just to add insult to injury, her airstrike is also better area denial than Caustic's ultimate).

He is an early warning system in a game where you're generally going to have 20 other signs of activity before your weirdly low-range canisters are triggered. While I'm all for trying to find excuses to not have Wraith be on 100% of teams, Caustic isn't it.

So in conclusion as a general gameplay tip: Don't let Caustic's pylons scare you at all from engaging with him in whatever place they've hunkered down because they sure as hell don't actually accomplish any of the jobs they set out to do :lol:

Played a few rounds of caustic and disagree. First his pylons stack up and the nox gas does damage through shields, I've gotten multiple knockdowns from it in just a few games when stacking it inside a building. If your team likes to move from spot to spot setting up a defense he works wonders.

Edit: people I've seen play him forget he can have 6 traps. He only had three charges but has a really short CD, so you need to play him like Lesion from R6S

Double edit: you can't sprint while in gas and are slowed. Really caustic is great early, bad for roaming, great end game.

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 6, 2019

panda clue
May 23, 2014

The Kins posted:

The official reasoning:

EDIT: EA released a brief statement saying that whatever Titanfall thing Respawn's working on for next year is, it'll be "in a premium context" ... ie. not another F2P game.

wow who could have guessed that they actually put a lot of thought and testing around 3 person teams. my bridge group won't be able to play together at once though, so this game might have to be a hard pass for me!

Partial Octopus posted:

yall need to calm down with these literal day 1 hot takes on hero balance

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Jack B Nimble posted:

Im guessing the two "air strike" powers don't hurt your team mates, but do they hurt you?

I'm almost 100% that they land unexploded next to you and you see a little red circle around than which I guess indicates explosion radius.

I've seen the effect a bunch but I always run away and not look back to see if the unexploded shells actually explode. Otherwise maybe the unexploded thing isn't tied to teammate using the effect and it's just rng jesus saving me.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Caustic is harder to use, but is very effective when used right

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

I know at least Gibraltar's mortar strike DOES hurt you, but his shield dome can block it. The mortar strike also forces your movement speed down to a crawl if it hits you, don't know if it does the same to enemies.

Small Bipedal Cat
Dec 12, 2018
The Peacekeeper is my favorite. It seems like it doesn't have a damage fall-off, you just have to land its laser/plasma projectiles. Makes it surprisingly viable at ranges you wouldn't expect.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Balancing is inevitable

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Fun Times! posted:

Balancing is inevitable

Dread it, run from it...

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

panda clue posted:

yall need to calm down with these literal day 1 hot takes on hero balance

But he doesn't do anything. It's not like we're talking about super complex characters here. You're not going to find some secret Caustic tech 3 months from now that makes him playable.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I’m very bad at this game but I’m enjoying it. Add RadValtar on PS4 so I can ride goon coattails to victory. This is the first BR I have gotten into so forgive me for being a noob.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Partial Octopus posted:

But he doesn't do anything. It's not like we're talking about super complex characters here. You're not going to find some secret Caustic tech 3 months from now that makes him playable.

My experience with him on our squad has led me to disagree. Not everyone is bad with caustic.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
https://twitter.com/Respawn/status/1093199089666158592

https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/news/letter-to-community

A few quotes

quote:

This is easily the most nerve-wracking, exciting, and humbling day of my career. Having worked alongside this team for almost fifteen years now, it was an honor to be chosen to lead the development of Apex Legends. Over the last two years, the road to making this game has often been bumpy, but everyone on the team has put everything they have into this game. Our goal was to make the most innovative, fun, and genre-evolving battle royale shooter to date, and I believe we achieved just that.

quote:

Creating Apex Legends has been a long journey, and now we’re ready to put it out into the world and continue building on it with all of you. The team is already hard at work on tons of top-secret new stuff we’ll be adding to the game this year and beyond (which we’ll be talking more about soon). First up will be the launch of Season 1 in March when we introduce a Battle Pass.

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 6, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

EA cancelled Titanfall 3 and this was an easy way to recycle some assets?

Squiggles Unite
May 29, 2014
Won my 2nd game ever using Caustic. He seems pretty drat good to me if used correctly and you get to the end game. The last circles are small enough that throwing out his mines basically guarantees you know where the last 1 or 2 squads are and even though the damage is minimal its enough to tip the scales in your favor. Added bonus if you get the other squad(s) low and they drop a Gibraltar shield for you to toss your ult into and finish em off. Different strokes I guess but I like my gassy scientist. :drugnerd:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Caustic is definitely more of a defensive recon hero than a defensive damage dealer. You aren't gonna be killing anyone with the gas, but it puts the enemy inside it at a major disadvantage which forces them away from good positions, either retreating or blindly rushing you, and immediately lets you know their location.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Partial Octopus posted:

I haven't unlocked him yet myself, but I've heard from players far better than anyone on this forum that caustic can be amazing, but somewhat situational. You would obviously want to try and stay near areas where his skills can be leveraged to their maximum potential.

Repeating that he is 'unplayable' and 'nearly useless' over and over again is just making you sound bad.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Good lord, an intuitive ping system :worship:

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Lambert posted:

EA cancelled Titanfall 3 and this was an easy way to recycle some assets?

More likely titanfall 3 was never in full production because 1 and 2 didn't make any money

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Mr.Citrus posted:

More likely titanfall 3 was never in full production because 1 and 2 didn't make any money

People in the Titanfall 2 thread are swearing 2 made plenty of money after selling hajillion kabillion copies, and that 3 is definitely still in production :ssh:

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

panda clue posted:

People in the Titanfall 2 thread are swearing 2 made plenty of money after selling hajillion kabillion copies, and that 3 is definitely still in production :ssh:

Wasn't titanfall 2 released like the same month as battlefield 1? I blame EA more than anything for how Titanfall has gone.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I mean, we know Titanfall 3 has been cancelled and that a a second small spin-off Titanfall game is in development. Believing anything else is setting oneself up for disappointment.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Question because I can't tell, when you're the hunter dude and use your 'see through walls' power, can your team also see that or just you? I ask because in TF2 your pulse blade could be thrown and wherever it hit would locate anyone nearby within a small radius and your team could see it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

panda clue posted:

I haven't unlocked him yet myself, but I've heard from players far better than anyone on this forum that caustic can be amazing, but somewhat situational. You would obviously want to try and stay near areas where his skills can be leveraged to their maximum potential.

Repeating that he is 'unplayable' and 'nearly useless' over and over again is just making you sound bad.

Compared to the rest of the cast he is definitely the weakest character with the least impactful abilities. His ultimate is particularly lackluster compared to anyone else. Bloodhound gives better situational awareness, Gibraltar and grenade girl give better area denial. Everyone is way more mobile and with higher dps. Obviously there are situations when he can do something useful but from my experience, those situations are very rare.