Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Reading Dragonlance? What, Drizz Do'Urden is too hoity-toity for you?

Nah gently caress that Uncle Torm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I have a bookstore recommendation, if you are ever passing through southern ct and have some time to kill stop by the book barn, a massive and cool used bookstore with 4 different locations throughout the town of niantic, split up by genre/subject etc. and they have cats and goats to pet too! I think they have some turtles at the downtown store also

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Labes for days posted:

I still don’t understand why some people hate genre fiction. It’s nice to couch conflict in things that don’t exist like elves and spaceships, as a reprieve from atrocities my own species has invariably committed at some point in its existence.

Because it is universally badly written.

You can go see a sci-fi movie and reasonably expect it to be good. If you read a sci-fi novel and expect it to be good, you are a rube and a fool for whom ceilings are floors and windows are doors

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Labes for days posted:

I still don’t understand why some people hate genre fiction. It’s nice to couch conflict in things that don’t exist like elves and spaceships, as a reprieve from atrocities my own species has invariably committed at some point in its existence.

mostly because despite freeing themselves from the bounds of realism to embrace all that can possibly be imagined, 99% of them manage to be the exact same book and it's not even a good one.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

eh fair enough I missed the Kwon mention in between all the screeching. Knausgaard is absolutely the kind of overplayed I'd expect someone to just pull off a Wikipedia list of Good Authors or something. Neither of them have any noteworthy relation to Le Guin's writing such that they'd be particularly comparable or a good rec for people who liked her, but you did name a name that wasn't a cliche.

You are 100% confusing Knausgaard with someone else.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

99% of all art that’s ever been created is similar to everything else ever created though; I feel that’s a pretty poor reason to be angry at people for wanting to read about aliens.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
like his last book got translated less than six months ago.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I've never heard of ursula leguin is OP. hope this helps

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The number one problem is that genre authors think that having an aliens or magic a book is exciting.

But aliens and magic are only ever as exciting as the prose is. And genre authors can't write prose.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Karl Ove Knausgaard, author of Autumn and My Struggle, is like the #1 guy most seen next to a smooth jazz compilation in a coffee shop and has been cooed over pretty much nonstop by NPR and the New York Times for years now

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 6, 2019

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Labes for days posted:

99% of all art that’s ever been created is similar to everything else ever created though; I feel that’s a pretty poor reason to be angry at people for wanting to read about aliens.

I’ve mentioned several sci fi books I like and I like a few others I’m not going to bring up because people need to read books without robots. Genre poo poo is fine every now and then,. Do not break your brain and want to gently caress astro from the jetsons.

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018
curious what you guys think of jonathon strange & mr norrell

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Karl Ove Knausgaard, author of Autumn and My Struggle, is like the #1 guy most seen next to a smooth jazz compilation in a coffee shop and has been cooed over pretty much nonstop by NPR and the New York Times for years now

Stop listening to npr and going to coffee shops you bourgeois fucker

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Movies are universally garbage for stupid idiots, designed to water down any original source into sloppy gruel for the mindless masses. And I'm not even going to mention so called "original" films, they are beneath contempt and deserve nothing but derision and spiteful laughter.

If you think yourself an intelligent, well educated man, you should be reading books in their original language.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

Movies are universally garbage for stupid idiots, designed to water down any original source into sloppy gruel for the mindless masses. And I'm not even going to mention so called "original" films, they are beneath contempt and deserve nothing but derision and spiteful laughter.

If you think yourself an intelligent, well educated man, you should be reading books in their original language.

extremely bad post

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

WatermelonGun posted:

I’ve mentioned several sci fi books I like and I like a few others I’m not going to bring up because people need to read books without robots. Genre poo poo is fine every now and then,. Do not break your brain and want to gently caress astro from the jetsons.

this is a reasonable sentiment, you should’ve just said that and skipped the pants jizzing patronizing posts. we can probably all agree that anyone who defines themselves with the media they consume sucks.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Written literature has been the biggest mistake humans have ever made. Stories used to be passed down orally and you were expected to get the details right. In our excess we’ve grown weak and slothful.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

WatermelonGun posted:

extremely bad post

Don't sign your posts, you intellectual midget.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

christmas boots posted:

Written literature has been the biggest mistake humans have ever made. Stories used to be passed down orally and you were expected to get the details right. In our excess we’ve grown weak and slothful.

agreed, I exclusively read incan khipu for just those reasons.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

christmas boots posted:

passed down orally

free hubcaps posted:

I exclusively read

:thunk:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Sometimes I really like the premise or idea behind a story but the prose just never GRABS me. Because of how school "taught" me to relate to books, I've slogged through poo poo I didn't enjoy just to say I did it. It's a shame a large part of our relationship to books through education is the feeling of being forced to read a book that doesn't interest you and sort of feeling like this is how you're supposed to relate to books: somewhat contemptuously.

This was alleviated somewhat in college, but I feel like the damage is done. By high school, if you haven't developed healthy reading habits, you can easily associate reading with homework, rather than pleasure.

While I read for enjoyment when I was younger, I stopped at some point, probably when class assigned reading overtook it. I never developed a 'habit' of continually having a book to be reading, which I feel like is a mistake. Just variety in entertainment, really.

For a while there, I thought maybe the internet broke my brain and I couldn't "read books" anymore cause I'd get distracted, but it turns out I was just reading poo poo that didn't click with me, who would've thought. I devoured two books in one day at one point and went "oh."

Anyway, I think genre is fine. It's like any media and 90% of it sucks.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Got 'em.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Barthes once quoted another author who wrote something like “writing is the act of killing language and literature is its corpse” but I originally read it in Serbian and googling the quote in English only finds results about olds worried about texting so I don’t know who originally wrote it but it’s a drat clever quote and I kind of lost my train of thought here

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Barthes once quoted another author who wrote something like “writing is the act of killing language and literature is its corpse” but I originally read it in Serbian and googling the quote in English only finds results about olds worried about texting so I don’t know who originally wrote it but it’s a drat clever quote and I kind of lost my train of thought here

any cool Balkan authors who aren’t translated/are really obscure we should know about?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

it’s been a long time but I took a class with gary urton years ago and iirc he postulates that khipu were used as a sort of narrative aid in oral storytelling traditions among the inca and other Andean peoples, in addition to recording numerical data

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

free hubcaps posted:

any cool Balkan authors who aren’t translated/are really obscure we should know about?

I know the Croatian contemporary lit scene well and I would always recommend Zoran Ferić who is really a master of the short story. Edo Popović is also very good, he writes melancholy introspective prose about, for a lack of a better description, themes of spirituality vs materialism. Renato Baretić is funny. Kristian Novak is the new hotness. I’m planning to pick up both of his novels soon and read them for the booklord challenge in TBB.

Predrag Matvejević is probably not obscure at all, but deserves a mention. His Mediterranean: A Cultural Landscape is on par with similar cultural histories written by much more famous authors.

I don’t know whether he counts as obscure, but Borislav Pekić is my favorite Serbian writer. Danilo Kiš and Mirko Kovačić are also very good.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

While I like Pratchett, his biggest problem is the generic protagonists in the books that aren't about the wizards, witches or watch. They're pretty much interchangeable; I'd argue Victor, Pteppic, Mort, de Worde, Polly and Moist are the same character with slightly different traits. He finally got the character right with Moist by choosing "scheming conman" for those traits.

Citcon
Aug 31, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Lots of great writers mentioned in this thread. Only reason LeGuin's even mentioned in the same breath is because shes one of the first sci fi chicks, has a hosed up name, and produces average (for sci fi) dreck. Shits weak.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Can someone recommend me some good female protagonist genre stuff? My 14 year old daughter devoured the Mistborn series and asked if I had anything else like that, and specified female leads.

Citcon
Aug 31, 2018

by R. Guyovich

The Dregs posted:

Can someone recommend me some good female protagonist genre stuff? My 14 year old daughter devoured the Mistborn series and asked if I had anything else like that, and specified female leads.

The malazan book of the fallen series has a shitton of female characters and is great. Most of the top end characters are women. Its more mature than mistborn though so not really a girl power type of book.

Gods of blood and powder series is mainly a female protag series. The series its based on (that you don't need to read to understand this one) is more balanced. Quality adventure fantasy

Citcon fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 7, 2019

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The number one problem is that genre authors think that having an aliens or magic a book is exciting.

But aliens and magic are only ever as exciting as the prose is. And genre authors can't write prose.

Excuse me, we’re all here because LeGuin is extremely good at prose, and not just “ for a genre author.”

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Citcon posted:

Lots of great writers mentioned in this thread. Only reason LeGuin's even mentioned in the same breath is because shes one of the first sci fi chicks, has a hosed up name, and produces average (for sci fi) dreck. Shits weak.

Hahaha

Get the gently caress out.

Citcon
Aug 31, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Applewhite posted:

Hahaha

Get the gently caress out.

Sorry. I didn't think the books were very good. Forgettable at best which is why I think its weird they're still brought up over and over.

Theres tons of great fantasy and sci fi out there to read.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Citcon posted:

The malazan book of the fallen series has a shitton of female characters and is great. Most of the top end characters are women. Its more mature than mistborn though so not really a girl power type of book.

Gods of blood and powder series is mainly a female protag series. The series its based on (that you don't need to read to understand this one) is more balanced. Quality adventure fantasy

I think I remember Malazan being pretty heavy, but I'll check into it again. Never heard of the other. Thanks!

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
feeling the love

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Citcon posted:

Sorry. I didn't think the books were very good. Forgettable at best which is why I think its weird they're still brought up over and over.

Theres tons of great fantasy and sci fi out there to read.

Uh, the Dispossessed is like the exact opposite of forgettable. Unless you're a god drat capitalist pig.

Citcon
Aug 31, 2018

by R. Guyovich

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Uh, the Dispossessed is like the exact opposite of forgettable. Unless you're a god drat capitalist pig.

Fantasy leftism is cliched, lazy and boring as gently caress. The definition of forgettable. At least read something like Iain Banks who does fantasy leftism competently.

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018
"one of the first sci-fi chicks" says brilliant academic who forgot modern science fiction was invented by a woman in 1818

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
The best piece of genre fiction is “Red Army” by Ralph Peters, everyone knows this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018
Oh poo poo nevermind I'm being trolled