Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Madkal posted:

I always wanted a Hawkman series that just explored history of the world using a Hawkman stand in. Him and his wife are supposed t be repeatedly reincarnated so why not have some Hawkman stuff that takes place in Victorian England, or 17th Century China, or ancient Rome etc?
It's me being me, but I always thought it was strange that all of Carter's incarnations are basically just him, aka a big straight white guy except when he's Khufu in which case he's vaguely less white. Where are the reincarnations where he was a lady and Shiera was the dude? Where are the ones where they were both ladies? Where are the ones where he was an actual hawk? Opportunities missed everywhere!

But I do like the way that the current series has set it up, where he actually reincarnates across all time and space irrespective of chronology. There could be a version of Hawkman on Daxam in the year 3029 who is actually a previous incarnation of the one who lived in Britain as the Silent Knight. There could be another version of him right now who is actually him from several lifetimes down the line. It's all weird and complicated which means I'm real into it. Heck, it actually explains a lot of what's been happening with Kendra and Shiera in Justice League.

Speaking of which, I really enjoyed the JL Annual last week as well. It's great to see all these major forces of the DCU working together to solve big problems, even if they fail real bad and end up getting the whole universe pretty ticked off at the JL. Also this was like...the first time Kyle Rayner has interacted with the rest of the League, much less gone on a mission with them, since...gently caress, I don't even know? Like, pre-Blackest Night at the latest? Maybe even as far back as GL: Rebirth? Goodbye, era of writers having Kyle mill about randomly in outer space away the core mainline JL characters 'cuz DC has to keep pretending that Hal Jordan is the only one who gets marketing! Hello, comics that acknowledge and perpetuate Kyle's epic history with the JL!

Finally, WW #62 was a great delight as well. I'll admit it, for the first couple of issues of Wilson's run I was really just thinking, "Where is all this actually going?" but, the more she writes, the stronger that her personal "voice" comes across in these events and the more I'm understanding what her direction for this series is going to end up looking like. All in all I'd consider this issue a pretty good jumping on point for anyone wondering what's being going on in this book. Spoiler alert: she brought back Ferdinand! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

#62 was great and I loved that they went to Old Ebbitt because if you're a tourist that doesn't know any better, of course you go to loving Old Ebbitt.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I didn't pick up this weeks Batman because it is a crossover and tied in to HiC. I made the right choice, right?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Madkal posted:

I didn't pick up this weeks Batman because it is a crossover and tied in to HiC. I made the right choice, right?

It's just Batman being angsty about HiC with Barry also adding in some angst. So your usual fare. It doesn't actually have much to do with HiC and seems more tied into King's plot.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's going to be about Gotham Girl, if you wanted to see her story advance.
It wasn't bad.

I hope we don't get the next six or seven issues of Young Justice giving half of their pages to each character's backstory, like this one, but I wouldn't bet against that happening.
I'd rather have the initial arc out of the way, then get to know who Teen Lantern or Jenny Hex are in their own dedicated one shot issues. Something like that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Man. The scene between Wonder Girl and Zeus in this week's YJ was written so well and captures Cassie's personality perfectly. It's the sort of scene that can only come about from someone who's really followed this character and has a great appreciation for her.

Too bad it also makes no sense at all with Cassie's rebooted history and is pretty much indicative of how much the N52 retcons continue to gently caress over the overall Wonder Woman canon, even today.

Because this conversation just doesn't carry any weight at all with Zeus as Cassie's grandfather instead of her father. It just doesn't. It was clearly, originally written as if Zeus was speaking to her as a father, but then an editor told Bendis "Hey guess what, we completely railroaded that massive aspect of her history" and then he just had to replace the nouns after that fact. And an estranged grandfather is just not the same as an estranged father...like, again, it just isn't. The whole thing with him telling Cassie that she's so much like her mother would've been a great sentiment coming from her actual estranged father but like...who gives a turd if her estranged father's father thinks that? He doesn't know her mom! She's just someone his son got knocked up!

And then the whole part with him going on about Cassie being the future of the pantheon just comes across so flippin' awkward when Diana...who is his actual daughter in this current hellscape of a mythos...is just flying about right now doing her thing.

God, if only Bendis had just gone ahead and ignored all that N52 nonsense and just made Cassie Zeus' daughter, this would all be cleared up straightaway. What was stopping you, Brian! It's not as if you let silly things like continuity get in the way of your writing before now! :doom:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I remember being excited about Greg Pak writing Teen Titans and it ended up just being a couple issues tying her into that Lennox stone guy from Azzarello's WW and I couldn't have cared less.

e: Even being a big Azz WW fan at the time.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 6, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I dug the first issue of female Furies

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's Jackson Lanzing on getting his Green Arrow run cancelled right at the point where they'd stop wrapping up and supporting previous writers' storylines and kicking off their own.
https://twitter.com/JacksonLanzing/status/1093264146315935745

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1093586450048868353

Does anyone still care about Doomsday Clock?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Never did.

But can't wait for the "I read bad comics solely to complain about them!" crew to get ahold of it!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here's Jackson Lanzing on getting his Green Arrow run cancelled right at the point where they'd stop wrapping up and supporting previous writers' storylines and kicking off their own.
https://twitter.com/JacksonLanzing/status/1093264146315935745

Yeah this sucks because Lanzing and Kelly are usually very good and their ideas about Green Arrow would have been fun.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Does anyone still care about Doomsday Clock?

Raises blue dong.
Loved the last one, but that was a bit of a break in the series, being a Superman issue, and the team's pretty good at those.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Endless Mike posted:

Never did.

But can't wait for the "I read bad comics solely to complain about them!" crew to get ahold of it!

Does it count if we read half the book when pages are posted on twitter and we just LOL at the terrible?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Teenage Fansub posted:

Raises blue dong.
Loved the last one, but that was a bit of a break in the series, being a Superman issue, and the team's pretty good at those.

Yeah, the Superman and Black Adam stuff has been good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I think I enjoy Doomsday Clock. It takes so long between issues that I can't really remember what my feelings are for the title.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Luthor and Martian Manhunter were childhood besties!?

What? What!?

Synder's Justice League is awesome in weird ways.

Also, if Teen Lantern didn't appear on the cover or in promo images, no one would know what she looked like.

Also, SERIOUSLY, WHAT THE gently caress IS UP WITH DAMIAN HAVING A SECRET TORTURE PRISON!??? THAT ISN'T COOL.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Spoiler tags only work if you give people some kind of idea on what the hell is behind them. That is a terrible use of them there.

Also you don’t need to use them on books already out.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I'm assuming this is the de facto old Wildstorm discussion place given current rights ownership and publication. I finally got around to reading Ellis' run on Stormwatch. I'm very glad I did, it puts not only a lot of the Authority (especially Brubaker's and... Ugh... Millar's runs) in context, but explains WildCATs 3.0. It's kind of funny The High sat thinking with his genius-level intellect on a mountain for 10 years and came up with the conclusion Marx (and to some degree the Frankfurt School) was right, and that if there was material plenty then government and authority structures would vanish - Marx's belief in the withering of the state was almost childishly simplistic (the Frankfurt School's desire to 'liberate' people from all authority structures was more excusable - some authority structures are illegitimate, there were some valid criticisms they had - but still, I think, misunderstood human nature; nb I am excluding Habermas from this criticism as I think he was the most nuanced of the crit theorists). Brubaker looked at how people who thought in such a top-down fashion might be little different from villains themselves; WildCATs 3.0 at an alternative fashion of achieving similar ends by changing things from within existing structures. It's interesting Ellis' Authority was mostly dumb action given where it came from.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Man YJ was a weird read. I finished the book and was actually startled because NOTHING happened.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Beerdeer posted:

Man YJ was a weird read. I finished the book and was actually startled because NOTHING happened.

:monocle: a bendis book!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Beerdeer posted:

How did that startle you? Isn't Bendis' name right on the cover?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
It's been a long time since I bought floppies. The characters pulled me back because I loved the original series.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Beerdeer posted:

It's been a long time since I bought floppies. The characters pulled me back because I loved the original series.

This is how bendis writes. His stories always read better in trade format and half the the arcs nothing happens.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
How will Doomsday Clock read to someone who didn't like Watchmen to much?

It looks interesting, but the "Yay Fascism" parts of Watchmen make me wary of supporting anything in the same vein even if it is by another author.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

OscarDiggs posted:

How will Doomsday Clock read to someone who didn't like Watchmen to much?

It looks interesting, but the "Yay Fascism" parts of Watchmen make me wary of supporting anything in the same vein even if it is by another author.

Doomsday Clock kinda hinges on you knowing the full text of Watchmen. But other than that, it's very much Geoff Johns using the stylistic framework of Watchmen to do his own thing. Some would even say it's a very superficial reading of Watchmen that's mostly focused on style instead of substance, which, if you didn't take to Watchmen in the way you say you did, might actually work out.

But also: why do you think Watchmen is pro-fascist? I never got that from Watchmen at all, so I kinda need to know how you got there.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

ElNarez posted:

Doomsday Clock kinda hinges on you knowing the full text of Watchmen. But other than that, it's very much Geoff Johns using the stylistic framework of Watchmen to do his own thing. Some would even say it's a very superficial reading of Watchmen that's mostly focused on style instead of substance, which, if you didn't take to Watchmen in the way you say you did, might actually work out.

But also: why do you think Watchmen is pro-fascist? I never got that from Watchmen at all, so I kinda need to know how you got there.

Maybe not fascist exactly, but "Yay Fascism" is catchier then "Yay Authoritarianism". It's been a while, but from what I remember all of the bad guys are huge Authoritarians and get away with it. The Comedian basically get's absolved for the vile things he did, Dr Manhattan get's to go away to the edge of universe to piss ball about with a new enslaved humanity to mess about with, and Ozymandias get's away with his plans, scot free, which is most of where my pro-fascist reading comes from. The only one opposed to all this get's melted by Manhattan and everyone else is to much of a melt to really care that much.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Just because things happened that way in the story doesn't mean it's pro-authoritarian.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

frameset posted:

Just because things happened that way in the story doesn't mean it's pro-authoritarian.

Sometimes, but if it's not there in the text it needs to be there in the sub-text. If the text is nothing but "Rah rah rah, yay for the Blackshirts" and there's nothing sub-textually saying "Maaaaaaaaaaybe these are the bad guys, who knows?" then all you have is the text, and the text is literally a plan to create a fascist world state, but instead of a human untermenschen, the other the society is perpetually at war with is an alien race which doesn't actually exist, literally the most 'other' you can get.

I mean what are you expecting me to do here with interpreting the story? Read it on opposite day?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Admittedly its been a couple years since ive read it but i dont remember watchmen having any pretense that the ending was in any way "good", just beyond the control of the survivors

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

site posted:

Admittedly its been a couple years since ive read it but i dont remember watchmen having any pretense that the ending was in any way "good", just beyond the control of the survivors

Same for me. I read it about 6 years ago. And admittedly that would be the reading I would have taken, if not for the treatment The Comedian gets in the end.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

OscarDiggs posted:

Maybe not fascist exactly, but "Yay Fascism" is catchier then "Yay Authoritarianism". It's been a while, but from what I remember all of the bad guys are huge Authoritarians and get away with it. The Comedian basically get's absolved for the vile things he did, Dr Manhattan get's to go away to the edge of universe to piss ball about with a new enslaved humanity to mess about with, and Ozymandias get's away with his plans, scot free, which is most of where my pro-fascist reading comes from. The only one opposed to all this get's melted by Manhattan and everyone else is to much of a melt to really care that much.

It's been a long while, but I don't remember the Comedian ever getting absolved of anything. He was a vile monster, which is why his (possible) kid never grew up knowing him and he's alienated everyone in his life so deeply that once he learns there's a bigger monster out there the only one he can talk to about it is a dying retired supervillain. If he hadn't been such a shithead that everyone hated for all his murdering, he could have just called up Dr. Manhattan and been like "hey here's what I learned about Ozymandias' plan" and then half the book wouldn't have happened, but he couldn't, because he was scum. No one can stand him, arguably the only person he shows any genuine emotion towards is the first Silk Spectre who won't have anything to do with him 'cause he's a rapist and all, he's a broken human being.

I mean, yeah, he goes out fighting the real bad guy, but that sure as poo poo ain't absolution.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Comedian sees his worldview broken to pieces after discovering Ozymandia's plan and he spirals down into depression and alcoholism to cope with it, and he doesn't go down fighting, he simply resigns to his fate.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It's been a long while, but I don't remember the Comedian ever getting absolved of anything. He was a vile monster, which is why his (possible) kid never grew up knowing him and he's alienated everyone in his life so deeply that once he learns there's a bigger monster out there the only one he can talk to about it is a dying retired supervillain. If he hadn't been such a shithead that everyone hated for all his murdering, he could have just called up Dr. Manhattan and been like "hey here's what I learned about Ozymandias' plan" and then half the book wouldn't have happened, but he couldn't, because he was scum. No one can stand him, arguably the only person he shows any genuine emotion towards is the first Silk Spectre who won't have anything to do with him 'cause he's a rapist and all, he's a broken human being.

I mean, yeah, he goes out fighting the real bad guy, but that sure as poo poo ain't absolution.

The big thing I take away was when SIlk Spectre 1 runs to her picture of The Comedian and starts weeping openly over it when her daughter gives her "Goodbye Forever" speech. I mean, I'm not misremembering right? Silk Spectre 1 was the one he raped? To me that screams of "Victim forgives her rapist" which is a really lovely thing on Alan Moores part and is why I read into the whole absolution bit.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Personally its that moore has a thing for rape and sometimes abuse survivors still for whatever their reasoning is will cling to their abusers, though you could make a good argument for that not being portrayed in a reasonable manner, but it never felt to me like the story was trying to absolve the comedian of anything

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

site posted:

Personally its that moore has a thing for rape and sometimes abuse survivors still for whatever their reasoning is will cling to their abusers, though you could make a good argument for that not being portrayed in a reasonable manner, but it never felt to me like the story was trying to absolve the comedian of anything

Yeah, seconding this.

That scene, IMHO, wasn't about "redeeming the Comedian;" frankly it was another example of what a monster he is and the wreckage he leaves behind as he moves through life. Sally Jupiter was broken by the Comedian. She's never been able to successfully move past that trauma (see: collapse of basically every relationship she has from that moment on). That's not any kind of loving redemption or absolution; that's the cherry on top of the poo poo sundae that is the Comedian's life.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Okay, I'm big enough to admit when I'm the broke brained one.

I always read that scene as Alan Moore going;

"Yeah, The Comedian was BAD, but he was a BIG STRONG GUY making the HARD DECISIONS, and he was forgiven! Can you think of any other BIG STRONG GUYS whos made the HARD DECISIONS in this work, hmm? Do you think they were BAD, hmmmmm? Maybe they should be forgiven, hmmmmmmmmm?"

Just because of how over the top and heavy handed it all was. Like, literally it felt it was beating me over the head with this.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What uhh, what are these hard decisions the comedian makes that you're referring to

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

As far as I can recall, none. As far as I'm concerned he's a monster. The way Moore portrays him though is as some kind of anti-hero. At least that's how I thought Moore was portraying him.

EDIT: Maybe some of the poo poo he pulled in Vietnam? (I think it was Vietnam)

OscarDiggs fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Alan Moore does over use rape as a plot element, but I don't think it's ever written in a way that excuses it. Pretty sure he also loving hates the Vietnam war.