Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
:stare:

Final circle was across open ground while being sniped from the top of skull town by a full squad of 3 while the zone burned my heels. 1v3. Downed one with a charged triple take shot, threw a gravity star and downed him again after he got ressed and then popped my ult and wiped their whole team with the RE-45 and finished off the last guy with a punch to win the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Quick PSA for newcomers and people who have been playing since launch who for whatever reason haven't noticed the prize bots in matches:

See this guy? When you see him in matches - shoot him or punch him for prizes.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Wombat Schematics posted:

I haven't seen anyone else pick Bangalor but me in pubbie squads but I really like the playstyle she allows. The smoke and faster sprint really seem to encourage choosing your engagements. If I'm getting potshot, sprint into cover, smoke up to two places, flank or exit from one of them. My shooting skills aren't the best so being able to determine when and where the shooting will be seems to really help. The good rounds are when I back the gently caress up from engagements until we're ready. Every time I get knocked out early it's because I've rushed into some crossfire like a scrub. Also using the peacekeeper every time. I'll be on PS4 tonight. To make it easier for PS4 goons I have:

LanceUppercut- (dash on end because some dick took his name)
-Wazzit
-Zerodrone
-Hail-King-Bear
-RadValtar
-OurfearlessHero (me)

Sorry if I missed people. Let me know if you want added, we can make a PS community if people are up for it.

Add ADeceasedMan to this list

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's honestly that much different.

panda clue posted:

If you aren't interested enough to play for more than 28 hours, then not being having access to the full roster in a free game really shouldn't bother you.

So you've moved the goalposts from it being a huge time investment, to "it shouldn't bother people!" Ok.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

So you've moved the goalposts from it being a huge time investment, to "it shouldn't bother people!" Ok.

have you entirely ignored everything everyone said in the last page? I didn't 'move the goalpost' - whatever 'goalpost' that is - I made a statement of fact.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

So which hero do you guys like so far? I got a ton of use out of Lifeline last night.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Is Origin completely hosed? I can';t seem to access friend invites or anything with a buddy.

Same with Apex's steam link feature, that seems to reset every log in .

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Ehud posted:

So which hero do you guys like so far? I got a ton of use out of Lifeline last night.

Mirage is definitely my favorite, closely followed by Lifeline then Bloodhound.

If people ever stop falling for the Mirage decoy, that may change.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm definitely a lifeline main with caustic being my off choice.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's honestly that much different.

There is zero investment of any kind related to playing this game. It may be hard to fathom but some people play games to have fun, not to finish arbitrary internet collections. If that's what your looking for you night try warframe.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Definitely Pathfinder then Bloodhound if some bastard takes my robot husband.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Now that people are figuring out what strategies work better - virtually every streamer squad right now has a Bloodhound.

Because being able to know where the hell the enemies are behind walls even briefly is a huge help.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Spacedad posted:

Quick PSA for newcomers and people who have been playing since launch who for whatever reason haven't noticed the prize bots in matches:

See this guy? When you see him in matches - shoot him or punch him for prizes.

if ticks were “spicy bois” are these sweeties

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

if ticks were “spicy bois” are these sweeties

I think they also come in various different glow-colors of rarity too. (Blue, purple, gold.)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Just had a really cool, tense moment where I set out to take the next area and my two teammates got caught by surprise and knocked down. I spun around and began sneaking around trying to find who was shooting my teammates. Activated the wallhack, and circled around them as they advanced to execute my teammates, and shot them in the back then picked up and healed my two teammates.

Spacedad posted:

Now that people are figuring out what strategies work better - virtually every streamer squad right now has a Bloodhound.

Because being able to know where the hell the enemies are behind walls even briefly is a huge help.

I came to this conclusion independently playing solo while waiting for my friends to get home. Wallhack is huge as is the ultimate.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

what this game really needs is a way to open batches of loot boxes at once, its taking me way too long to complete my collection of internet items so i can feel fulfilled and accomplished and uninstall

i briefly considered trying the other part of the game where you shoot people or something, but this guy who seems like hes really smart and good at video games told me he cant tell the difference between AL and Fortnite so why bother since theyre literally the same with no discernible difference

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

I came to this conclusion independently playing solo while waiting for my friends to get home. Wallhack is huge as is the ultimate.

He has two things that are extremely effective in this game: A speed boost, and a wallhack.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

s.i.r.e. posted:

goatposts? this imbecile over here thinks he's in a debate club

panda clue
May 23, 2014
fortnite is to apex as counterstrike is to titanfall - wake up sheeple

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

some hot takes even though I don't know their names:
Tracking Guy - seems alright. Having even a ballpark for how long ago someone went through an area is good for a passive. His ult is great if only for the movement speed bonus.
Shield Guy - ahhh, takes me back to halo3. Good for exploiting weapon asymmetry - seems like an ideal shotgun carrier.
Healing Lady – feels like a staple. Being able to save some healing items for later after surviving the first scrap is good. Calling in the carepackage is pretty good, and a good candidate for ultimate accelerants
Robot Man – mobility is real good in BRs. I’ve teamed with a couple of randoms that had some good setups for creating ziplines – I think as people get more comfortable with the map he will be even better
Edgy Portal Girl – Her ability makes her a pretty good scout and her ultimate has quite a bit of utility.
Tough Smoke Lady – Pretty good all around. The smokes are strong and her passive is good for not dying. The airstrike only gets better as the game goes on – doesn’t seem to do a TON of damage (which is probably good) but denies a huge area
Poison Gas Dude – The first one I unlocked. I like him? He’s obviously ideal on defense, which is sort of the way I play – move from one strongpoint to the next and set up your gas when you get there. I can see that this wouldn’t appeal to some types of players.
Mirage? Idk haven’t played him nor seen him much.

I think the Hero Shooter part of the Apex Legends design is probably what I like least. Doubly so when they have a manifesto that says “No buying gameplay advantage. Period.” and then two of the Heroes are locked away when you fire up the game. I get that their argument is that any Legend is as good as the next, but I feel if they are going to put any Gameplay features behind the paywall it’s only a matter of time.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Morphix posted:

goatposts? this imbecile over here thinks he's in a debate club

Amazin'

panda clue
May 23, 2014

MerrMan posted:

but I feel if they are going to put any Gameplay features behind the paywall it’s only a matter of time.

have you played any free to play video game released in the last decade? also, they aren't 'behind a paywall' - you can get them for free with a modest amount of gameplay.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mr.Citrus posted:

It may be hard to fathom but some people play games to have fun, not to finish arbitrary internet collections.

It's almost like playing with other characters that have their own unique personality and abilities could be considered fun by some. :hmmyes:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

MerrMan posted:

Shield Guy - ahhh, takes me back to halo3. Good for exploiting weapon asymmetry - seems like an ideal shotgun carrier.

Shield guy is good with anything you're going to be aiming down with ironsights a lot and most of the time you aren't going to be using ironsights with shotguns.

Doesn't mean he can't use them - he can still use his bubble to cheese the enemy with burst damage when they're closer.

In any case, he's probably best kitted with at least 1 LMG. Big clips and sustained shooting with that smol frontal shield is pretty dang good.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 6, 2019

panda clue
May 23, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's almost like playing with other characters that have their own unique personality and abilities could be considered fun by some. :hmmyes:

so buy them or play the game until you unlock them for free? what point are you even trying to make at this point? That they should just give you access to all the content, immediately, for free, out of the kindness of their hearts?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Don't forget with shield dad you can just drop a bubble on anyone you want to res in a bad spot

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
How’s the PS4 crew gathering for this? Do we have a community or anything?

panda clue
May 23, 2014
put an unlockable character in a $60 singleplayer game that requires 20+ hours to unlock - people are fine

put an unlockable character in a free multiplayer game that requires 10 hours to unlock, BUT you can buy the character instantly if you really want!, and people lose their loving minds

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
/\/\ just two pedants thus far, sire and rothul, they're just salty their stupid robot game isn't more popular /\/\

Eej posted:

Don't forget with shield dad you can just drop a bubble on anyone you want to res in a bad spot

like an idiot I kept trying to fire out from inside of it, it is not that kind of shield

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

panda clue posted:

put an unlockable character in a $60 singleplayer game that requires 20+ hours to unlock - people are fine

put an unlockable character in a free multiplayer game that requires 10 hours to unlock, BUT you can buy the character instantly if you really want!, and people lose their loving minds

I would have preferred a model of 'you buy the game at a full-price one-time fee and now and forever all the upcoming heroes are unlocked.'

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This game seems alright, I don't know how much of it I'll play but the biggest takeaway for me is that ALL ONLINE GAMES SHOULD STEAL THIS GAME'S SPOTTING SYSTEM. I don't play a lot of online games anymore because I rarely get the opportunity to engross myself in a game with a headset and voice comms anymore and the spotting system really makes me feel like I'm still able to communicate with my team without having to bang out some text chat real quick. Good poo poo.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

explosivo posted:

This game seems alright, I don't know how much of it I'll play but the biggest takeaway for me is that ALL ONLINE GAMES SHOULD STEAL THIS GAME'S SPOTTING SYSTEM. I don't play a lot of online games anymore because I rarely get the opportunity to engross myself in a game with a headset and voice comms anymore and the spotting system really makes me feel like I'm still able to communicate with my team without having to bang out some text chat real quick. Good poo poo.

Fully agreed. Like the entire reason I got into this game was because my friends told me that being deaf wasn't going to be a problem at all for loving once because the game had such a robust communication system.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

explosivo posted:

For real. The context-sensitive spotting system is some Star Trek poo poo. It works on anything in any ingame menu like magic with one mouseclick.

There will be some pretty interesting GDC-type lectures in the future about how they developed the system in the future I'm sure.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Spacedad posted:

I would have preferred a model of 'you buy the game at a full-price one-time fee and now and forever all the upcoming heroes are unlocked.'

Yeah this is obviously the best option for the consumer, but any game using this model that has that purchase option is usually pretty mediocre/dying and they have no other choice other than to do that to get money at all. The only one I can even think of off the top of my head that does this is Smite.

Spacedad posted:

For real. The context-sensitive spotting system is some Star Trek poo poo. It works on anything in any ingame menu like magic with one mouseclick.

when I first tried clicking on an item in a dead dudes backpack to ping it and it actually worked, I went full :aaaaa:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

panda clue posted:

Yeah this is obviously the best option, but any game using this model that has that purchase option is usually pretty mediocre/dying and they have no other choice other than to do that to get money at all. The only one I can even think of off the top of my head that does this is Smite.

Overwatch does it 'sorta' except there's no f2p model where you can 'earn' the heroes. But it's essentially the same thing, and the game sustains its revenue long-term with the wildly unethical practice of loot boxes.

Also - for this game I will never ever ever ever buy a lootbox for it. If I want to buy specific skins with real world currency I will. I'm never buying another lootbox again in any videogame ever.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Spacedad posted:

Also - for this game I will never ever ever ever buy a lootbox for it. If I want to buy specific skins with real world currency I will. I'm never buying another lootbox again in any videogame ever.

Yeah, I've gotten my fill of lootboxes for my lifetime. I still spend a shitload of money on cosmetic garbage, but I'm never going to buy another box hoping I get the cosmetic garbage I want.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Eej posted:

Unless someone like me, an intellect, bumrushes your shield with a pair of frag grenades.
:getin:

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

more like poop boxes

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

panda clue posted:

Yeah, I've gotten my fill of lootboxes for my lifetime. I still spend a shitload of money on cosmetic garbage, but I'm never going to buy another box hoping I get the cosmetic garbage I want.

The carrot on a string motivator of buying lootboxes even if you don't want to is usually something like 'limited time crates of seasonal or one-time chance at certain skins!!!' or 'these other skins you bought left you with some leftover ingame currency - wouldn't you like a lootbox?'

But having played several different games over time that I eventually got bored of and drifted away from - I know that eventually I'll get bored of 'this next big thing' and put it away too. Which means I'll have another account with a bunch of microtransaction purchases I never use again, and I'm really not into doing that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It's me, the person mapping out my future microtransaction purchasing timeline for a game that has been out for all of two days.