Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
My (now) wife was shocked that I didn't own a printer when we met. I explained to her why I don't have one and told her that if she wanted a printer in the house, that she was welcome to get one but I wouldn't support it in any way.

We still don't have a printer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

nullfunction posted:

My (now) wife was shocked that I didn't own a printer when we met. I explained to her why I don't have one and told her that if she wanted a printer in the house, that she was welcome to get one but I wouldn't support it in any way.

I had this exact same conversation but she did actually buy a printer that mostly collects dust on top of my desk. It's used so infrequently that half the time when she tries to print some random rear end thing the heads are dried up.

I did admittedly show her how to clean the heads and try to recover the cartridge but other than that one time I haven't touched the loving thing and never will

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I bought a BW laser printer for home.

We are still using the factory toner cartridge 10 years later.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I needed a document scanner to pursue my dream of not having paper, and got a laser MFP because it cost the same as an equivalent stand-alone scanner, and also had a laser printer attached. Page count after a year is <50 pages and I'm still on the starter toner.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's used so infrequently that half the time when she tries to print some random rear end thing the heads are dried up.
This is why laser printers exist. And are better.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Fool posted:

I bought a BW laser printer for home.

We are still using the factory toner cartridge 10 years later.

:hf:

Same here, I bought a refurbished LaserJet 4+ back in 2004 and it's getting a bit light and spotty but still prints on the cartridge I got with it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Had a LaserJet 4050n for about a decade that I paid £20 for and never changed the toner on. Gave it away when I wanted some space back.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I picked up a HP LaserJet 3330 from the company I worked for 15 years ago. They were going to throw it in the trash because it was "slow".

drat thing is a workhorse, I don't use it much, but when I do it tends to be a big job (tax returns). It has never failed me, and I've replaced the toner cartridge exactly once.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I bought my parents a Brother MFP (DCP-1000) many many years ago. Its so old now the entire machine has turned a dark yellow due to UV exposure. They are on the 2nd cartridge. The toners for it are are dead cheap.. Only around $8 since they are nothing but a plastic bottle full of toner.

Its driver support spans all the way from NT4, 95, 98, etc.. up to Windows 10. Pretty sure the drivers for it have been built in since XP.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 16, 2021

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ilkhan posted:

This is why laser printers exist. And are better.

I think it was a craigslist special for like :10bux: and I was intentionally not part of the printer selection process beyond saying "we don't need a printer"

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Lexmark MS610dn over here. Somewhat overkill for house needs, but I print out my tax returns to have a paper record so it's useful for doing that in a timely fashion. Other than that, it's mostly used for print-at-home tickets for shows and stupid poo poo like that. I think I put another ream of paper in it last year, after 5 years of owning it? (Also handy that it takes an entire ream at once).

(yes yes much like your mom, hilarious)

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I picked up a brother 3170 a year ago after needing to buy a new ink cartridge practically every time we had a print job, and it's great. The only maintenance is a firmware update I installed last week.

E: We go through several reams a year, but that is more due to my kids swiping the paper for coloring.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

this thread posted:

"we love printers"

disgusting.

Thom and the Heads fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 7, 2019

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

No, we love laserjets, because they're reliable and don't break if you let them go unused for a week.

Inkjets can burn and die.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I haven't owned a printer since I moved out of my parents' place for college, nearly 20 years.

The one time I had to print something when I didn't have access to work printers and needed it right then, I sent it to UPS. I paid two dollars for three copies of full color of something I only needed one copy of in monochrome, so that I would meet their minimum. I picked it up ten minutes later.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
There is a printer on my desk, hooked up, that works, and I still take a flash drive to the library a block away if I need to print anything.

I only even own it because it was free and is a printer/scanner combo, and I needed a scanner for old photos. The ink cart in it is out, new ones are like $60. I considered buying one initially, and any possibility of me giving Epson a single dime ever again was obliterated when I hooked it up and discovered their shitware driver tries to lock out scanning if the ink cartridge is empty or removed.

Photoshop bypasses it somehow so it works, but that's a permanent dealbreaker. Paying the library a dime the ~4 times a year I need to print anything for the remainder of my natural lifespan will cost less than that loving cartridge.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Got a Brother BW laser that I picked up out of a dumpster. Still using the toner cart that was in it at the time.

In short, Inkjets are for fools.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Even I don't have an inkjet.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I don’t even own a printer...

:smuggo:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I didn't realize that when I got married, I'd be signing up for a lifetime of end user support for my wife's parents. I didn't know people could be so bad at technology and I have literally had to explain to people that physically moving the mouse around is how you move the cursor on the screen, and pressing down on the front-left or front-right side actuates a button that performs an action.

On the up side, I refused to support their printer and just ordered a Brother Laser Jet MFP with next day shipping. :unsmith:
I think the angriest I ever got is when my father in law opined that wifi encryption is "stupid" because he didn't want to just plug a network cable into the printer that sits beside his router and couldn't remember the password that's on the sticker on the bottom of the router. Dude's a big angry gammon who it's best to just ignore most of the time but he managed to hit the exact right combination of buttons to set me off.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

nullfunction posted:

My wife and I have a printer but refuse to use it. I just go to FedEx/Kinkos to print out my taxes once a year and it costs me like $2.
She at least is smart enough to refill the carts at Costco, but still hasn't caught onto the idea of being printerless.

I should just buy a nice laserjet MFP but honestly I'd rather spend the $100 on beer instead.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Fool posted:

Even I don't have an inkjet.
:golfclap:

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Printers: Inconvenient devices attached to useful scanners

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I had a Canon laserprinter that I bought second-hand in 2004 or so for €25. The drivers only went up to Vista 32bit so at some point I used a Linux laptop to print from it. I only got rid of it last year when the drum started to go. Never even replaced the toner.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Heners_UK posted:

Not emptyquoting.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Heners_UK posted:

loving truth, except mine still lives under my desk all nice and disconnected. The odd occasion I need to actually scan a copy of something my thought process usually goes "I cooooould plug this in, or I could just take a good picture with my phone"

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I just use office lens to scan documents. I haven't had a printer in a while.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I just hired a guy to run cat6 cable to the attic, because I couldn't get it past the last bend after trying for two days. :shobon:

Wife still complains about the Wifi repeater being poo poo, and refuses any troubleshooting on why she can't just connect to the main Wifi AP.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
We have a printer because the wife can't print personal stuff at her work and the kids need to occasionally print out stuff for school. It's mainly used by my daughter who prints out coloring pages. My family knows how much I hate doing tech support at home, and I've trained them to do all the preliminary troubleshooting themselves. The wife is popular with her works IT staff because of that.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Merijn posted:

Wife still complains about the Wifi repeater being poo poo, and refuses any troubleshooting on why she can't just connect to the main Wifi AP.

That's because WiFi repeaters are poo poo. The best answer is a proper wired multi-AP system like UniFi or similar, or if that's not an option then a "mesh" system where the remote units have dedicated backhaul radios. Repeaters try to use the same radio for devices and backhaul, which is obviously a lot cheaper but also means each hop inherently has a 50+% loss in capacity.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I bought a floor model workgroup Samsung Color MFP for less than $250 from Fry's, and it's still running off the toner it had in it and it was used for demos.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Super Slash posted:

or I could just take a good picture with my phone"

Had to sell my beloved scanner/hated printer for space. When I can't be bothered to go to work to scan, ScanBot to the rescue!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

nullfunction posted:

I told my wife not to buy a printer, told her why, she still bought some HP cheapo thing that's probably better off being used for target practice; it worked fine for like a month, then started having issues; the thing has sat basically unused for ~2 years since. I used the scanner function once a month ago to save myself a 10 minute drive, of course I did this in secret so I didn't get endless poo poo about it.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 7, 2019

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Did I miss printerchat? I have a lovely HP LaserJet that I bought in 2005. I have bought maybe 3 toner cartridges in those 14 years, and that includes my wife and I literally applying to hundreds of jobs (back when you had to send a paper cover letter and resume) back in the day. My daughter managed to drop something on the printer and break its document tray but otherwise it's been an unstoppable workhorse for ages.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
HP laserjets used to be indestructible. The laser jet IIIs and 5s from the mid 90s were built like tanks, and a lot of them are still running today.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Entropic posted:

HP laserjets used to be indestructible. The laser jet IIIs and 5s from the mid 90s were built like tanks, and a lot of them are still running today.

The last job I had that involved any kind of printer-touching was over decade ago, and we had five or six LJ4s, each over 250,000 pages through them when I started. I'm absolutely convinced they're still running somewhere today (the company has long since gone out of business).

The only good(ish) printer. :allears:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Entropic posted:

There is a laser jet 5 sitting on a table at a biomass power plant i support (I don't support the printer, the plant). That loving thing is filled with conductive ash and all kinds of poo poo and the outside looks like it was thrown down a burning mountainside. I have seen them "service" it by having a guy come over to blow it out with compressed air.

Still works and the local guy just installs a maintenance kit from time to time.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Forever praying for an end to the war between printer consolidation and printers as status symbols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Currently live with the inlaws and my wife's father worked 15 years as a printer repair technician . Plus side, I don't do printer support. Downside, there are a dozen partially working network printers around the house that he won't give me the password for so I can try and fix their config issues. As it stands my wife can't connect to any of them, I can connect to one brother printer that nobody else can and my mother-in-law can connect to an HP that occasionally prints network configs on its own.

I'm thinking DNS.