Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Azran posted:

Just completed Leon A. Got an A, took me almost 5 hours. It was great! I ended up doing both boss fights with my entire arsenal and I ended with SO MANY rounds. It was Assisted, so I'm now playing a Standard Claire run. I got to the room beneath the statue in 30 minutes this time. Any tips? What should I save the GL ammo for? I assume acid is for bosses and fire for everything else?

Other way round except the Ivys. You cant craft flame rounds but you can craft acid so burn through acid rounds first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

SettingSun posted:

Some hot missable ones imo:

-Bathroom of the orphanage as Claire.
-Gunpowder memo as both characters (it's different)
-Licker memo at the end of the 3F hallway.
-G-memo in the room Annette goes into after the elevator crashes as Claire.
-Room right after you use the EMFV as Ada the first time.

Edit: As mentioned below Sherry can pick up 3 herself in the orphanage.

For some reason, my 58th file was the one on the whiteboard in the save room in the lobby of the lab, behind the front counter.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
drat that Ada section. I hated that! I couldn't find the stupid boxes. And I died twice in the incinerator and they asked to put me on assisted. No I don't need help aiming even though I do shoot between the zombies' legs more than I'd like to admit. Why couldn't Ada just have some neat gun or melee weapon why some dumb hacking crap nobody cares about!

Also mr Gator you can't catch me! I got Simba past a bunch of raging wildebeests and rocks so some trash isn't gonna stop me.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 7, 2019

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ultrachrist posted:

Got to Sherry part in under 50 min on hardcore so I think I'm in good shape.

The part that took me for-loving-ever was the library shelves. X would not leave me alone and I couldn't figure out how to kill the zombies AND avoid X AND push the shelves. I ended up having to run into the west hall and lose him before I could do it. Of course it was still tight because the instant he loses me, he intuits HMMMM CLAIRE MUST BE IN THE LIBRARY.

You can presolve the bookshelves to where you only have to move it one time once you have the jack.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Azran posted:

Also, I need tips dealing with the Gs in the sewers. They cost me a lot of ammo as Leon, even though I only fought like two.

Flame rounds. Them being on fire prevents them from grabbing you.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
This game has some weird damage tables/values, or the later bosses have lots of iframes as they transition between certain animations. I wanted to try knifing the poo poo out of G5, and the closest save I had was a hardcore ClaireB save I used for getting the genius chemist record a day or two ago.

-Showering infinite rockets on G3 may actually have been slower than knife, stuns, and firing.
-Showering infinite rockets on G4 felt barely any faster than the minigun. One cycle faster maybe?

In the end at 40fps-50fps (I've turned the graphics back up from 50% scaled crayon drawings) it was still difficult to position in a way that didn't get grabbed, but it worked in 3-5 swipes.

E: Gave up and looked. The two records I have left that are ??????? are related to quickly doing both of Claire's electronic component puzzles. Thought I had those. The other one is probably for finishing Annin Tofu since those just show up as completed.

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 7, 2019

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

What am I supposed to be doing as Claire to kill lickers? I feel like I was just wrecking them as Leon with the shotgun, but they seem to be completely unimpressed by grenade launcher rounds. I really like her little revolver at least; it's doing a great job encouraging me to be smart with my shots.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Wanderer posted:

The official timeline on this sort of thing is that the Progenitor virus was officially discovered in 1966, and was refined into the T-Virus in 1978. There's no reason why you couldn't do throwback games set in the '70s or '80s.

If you wanted to go really far back, the Plaga parasites from RE4 were old enough that you can find a couple of them in the castle basement at one point that have fossilized. You could stick them bastards anywhere.

A medieval resident evil sounds dope but everyone would be like "oh it's mostly melee, isn't that just devil may cry"

I say screw that, navigating a castle like the Spencer Mansion and trying to seal away the plagas and stabbing and chopping up zombies sounds cool and could be really tense at times

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Good soup! posted:

A medieval resident evil sounds dope but everyone would be like "oh it's mostly melee, isn't that just devil may cry"

I say screw that, navigating a castle like the Spencer Mansion and trying to seal away the plagas and stabbing and chopping up zombies sounds cool and could be really tense at times

Onimusha got rereleased a few weeks ago in HD, it’s one of the failed RE4s and was actually the game DMC came from! (Juggling enemies was unintentional and removed but so much fun it got its own game.)

And it’s super good!

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Pharmaskittle posted:

What am I supposed to be doing as Claire to kill lickers? I feel like I was just wrecking them as Leon with the shotgun, but they seem to be completely unimpressed by grenade launcher rounds. I really like her little revolver at least; it's doing a great job encouraging me to be smart with my shots.

This is like the exact opposite of my experience where the grenade launcher killed lickers quick and easy from a mile away but the shotgun didn’t do anything at all to them and I actually had to be sneaky as Leon.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
It's Claire retelling the story of Raccoon City a few glasses deep at a TerraSave party.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Pharmaskittle posted:

2 flame rounds does it every time. Maybe even just 1 on standard.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Ugh speaking of lickers I'm low on ammo on Leon a hardcore and need to do something about those jerks near the cryo room. Tried fighting them only to die very quickly cause the shotgun and two flashbangs definitely weren't enough

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

MagusDraco posted:

Ugh speaking of lickers I'm low on ammo on Leon a hardcore and need to do something about those jerks near the cryo room. Tried fighting them only to die very quickly cause the shotgun and two flashbangs definitely weren't enough

What I ended up doing was leaving via the stairs, then circling around to reset their positions and sneaking into the cryo room.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Carmant posted:

2 flame rounds does it every time. Maybe even just 1 on standard.

oh no they will go down to 1 on Hardcore too, it's all about placement. I think they need to be on the ground so the fire damage will cook them

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Azran posted:

Just completed Leon A. Got an A, took me almost 5 hours. It was great! I ended up doing both boss fights with my entire arsenal and I ended with SO MANY rounds. It was Assisted, so I'm now playing a Standard Claire run. I got to the room beneath the statue in 30 minutes this time. Any tips? What should I save the GL ammo for? I assume acid is for bosses and fire for everything else?

Also, I need tips dealing with the Gs in the sewers. They cost me a lot of ammo as Leon, even though I only fought like two.

Flame rounds are what you save because they do impact damage and damage over time. You don't want to craft too many acid rounds on Standard because you make less than on Assisted and you actually get a fair number of flame rounds, enough to use on lickers you want out of the way or have to deal with. The gun Claire gets instead of the magnum may look unassuming (and until you upgrade it can be) but I think it's perhaps the most overall useful weapon in the entire game so you want to save as many high grade powders for its ammo as you can.

Adult G's are also a lot easier to deal with as Claire. Shoot them with acid or flame (just save some flame rounds for the plants in the lab as Claire) until their bubble bursts and use the above mentioned weapon to kill the eye if they aren't dead yet. If their bubble doesn't burst just put another grenade or two into them and they'll probably die.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Aces High posted:

oh no they will go down to 1 on Hardcore too, it's all about placement. I think they need to be on the ground so the fire damage will cook them

Yup. You can use one to knock them off the ceiling but you have to hit them again for it to kill them. If they get back on the ceiling they somehow heal.

I found this out in the interrogation room section. Mistakes were made.

But, after a quick reload of my last save, I managed to get the gear, dodge the gently caress out of X, cleared the clock tower and finished off in the sewers. Sherry's stealth section was maddening until I figured it out, but god drat am I hating the Ada section of Leon A.

Mr.X getting gutted by Birkin was so cathartic. I don't think I've ever been so relieved to see an enemy die.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Leon B Hardcore S+ is a nightmare. Mr. X keeps tracking me down and kicking my poo poo in during the clock tower segment; for some reason he actually combos his attacks and grabs this time and just takes me from 100 to 0 with no recourse. I've lost 2 hours of runs to this bastard.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Leon B seems to be a lot harder than Claire B to me. With Claire B you've got Birkin Stage-3, and then for Birkin Stage-4 you get a free minigun that you can then go on to use for the final segment in the train car. But with Leon B you're handed Birkin Stage-3, and then you have to fend off Flaming Demon Mr. X with whatever supplies you've got left, and then you still gotta do the train car with basically nothing to your name but the clothes on your back.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I haven't been keeping too up to date on the latest tech outside of this thread (recently moved and still waiting for the internet to be set up here) but as I recall from Carcinogen's no damage Leon A Hardcore run Super Tyrant is a timed fight until rocket launcher rather than a damage threshold needing to be hit, so I just stockpiles flashbangs and grenades the entire game until that point and stunlocked him until I ran out, swapped to the magnum and then got the launcher pretty quickly.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just finished up all the Raccoons and beating the game without using the Item Box. All I have left to do is S+ Rank everything and I'll have 100%, but drat, this is going to be a lot of planning. Thankfully I've got the Infinite Knife and 120~ frames to knife the poo poo out of all of the bosses.

These new skips though might make this a lot easier.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah Leon B is way easier because you can safely dump basically every single bullet you have into Tyrant knowing you get a free rocket launcher with 2-3 shots left at the end of the fight and firing one into ol G boys eye ends him

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I just find ClaireB's early weapons to make the first 10-20 minutes far more difficult than the other 3 campaigns. Once you get past G1 it starts to smooth out, and that'll be anywhere from 25-50 minutes into the scenario if you're a normal human or on your first run.

Didn't think I'd pull it off, and I'd aborted several attempts in a row, but Annin Tofu finally saw the finish line. For me the hardest part wasn't that you have tons of healing to budget your mistakes, it was that you had no flashbangs or grenades to halt a crowded area if you were getting chain-grabbed consistently.

Crappy times all across, but all current survivor modes were dragged to that exit gate :black101:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Oh, the dlc costumes don't get pouches or damaged.. meh

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
Anyone else noticed the "Hell of a Sheriff" and "Got 'Em" achievements have arrived on Steam? Looks like we're getting ready for the "Ghost Survivors" free update/DLC :D

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MZs-C2fFmk

edit: serious, if someone can make a AV quality gif of this ^^^^, I think I can finally retire the one I've got.

here you go, although its pretty dark

Basticle fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 7, 2019

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
For Leon from what I've seen in streams there's a variable timer on Super Tyrant. If you do no damage it takes about 3 minutes for Ada to drop the rocket launcher and he seems to do multiple insta kill charges at you. If you do a certain threshold of damage it's about a minute and a half and there's just one insta kill charge.

CarcinogenSDA has a great strat where you just save up as many grenades as you can manage. He gets stunned and you get damage in. I only had 5 and 2 flashbangs on my Hardcore run but it was still quite effective.

Also, for the G Mutants in the sewers, you can run around most of them and they prefer the grab attack so a defensive weapon can let you get by. On Claire you don't really need as many grenades or flashbangs, so it's okay burn 2-3 and save ammo.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So hardcore is doing to me what normal seems to do to streamers/professional reviewers doing a stream. I don't forget where to go or basic layouts to rooms but I do panic and gently caress up. I really wish I hadn't burnt my first save so early, now I have to do the club key stuff, the clock tower stuff, get out of the prison, do the crocodile and some amount of the sewers and use my second save right before Birkin I guess. I got all the way through all that earlier and then died to the crocodile stupidly, then just now died in the prison sequence because I used a flashbang on the zombies rather than tustle with Mr X the other way which is what I've done every other time but Mr X just comes into that hallway anyway because gently caress me I guess. I dunno why I'm so hesitant to save because I'm pretty sure I won't be able to make 2:30 no matter what on this go around, I think I want to get used to the mindset of only having 3 saves to try and get an S+ at some point.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Shoutout to whomever recommended knife strats for G1. I was able to use the infinite knife to lay waste to him even on PS4. Completed Leon A HC S+ and I'm extremely proud of myself as a result.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Gonna try that poo poo tonight when I get home for Claire 2nd Hardcore S+. Save the bullets!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
So the RE series takes place in real time, right? How fucken old are these characters now? Chris has got to be pushing 50.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

So the RE series takes place in real time, right? How fucken old are these characters now? Chris has got to be pushing 50.

He should be but thanks to the magic of being on the Wesker Regimen he's like 30

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

RE7 takes place in 2017, so Chris was 45-46 at the time (if they're preserving continuity).

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Arnie was 40 in Predator and 44 in T2, so Chris being ultra-jacked in RE5 isn't impossible.

Although Schwarzenegger never punched boulders into submission.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

RE1 had ridiculous poo poo in it like "Jill Valentine is ex-Delta Forces at age 23" or some poo poo which is impossible so a lot of the main characters were extremely young to begin with.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Chris canonically had biceps as big as watermelons because he trained and got jacked as hell explicitly to be able to keep up with Wesker after he got clowned by him in Code Veronica. After Wesker got blown up by getting headshotted by two rpgs at the exact same time while standing inside an active volcano dude stopped juucing so hard so he deflated a bit come re7

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've really come around to the shotgun recently. The ability to just walk up to a sleeper and explode its head is hard to rival.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

SettingSun posted:

I've really come around to the shotgun recently. The ability to just walk up to a sleeper and explode its head is hard to rival.

Playing as Claire was a nightmare because, just like IRL, the shotgun is extremely the weapon of choice for people who can't aim for poo poo.

I'm sure on PC the 85 guns Claire carries are dope, but I'm a filthy casual playing on PS4 and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from an inch away.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

DLC Inc posted:

RE1 had ridiculous poo poo in it like "Jill Valentine is ex-Delta Forces at age 23" or some poo poo which is impossible so a lot of the main characters were extremely young to begin with.

To quote a guide I believe was written by someone in this very thread:

quote:

The Resident Evil tradition of characters being far too young to have the skills they're supposed to possess continues. Chris is ex-Air Force *and* an ex-cop at 25; Jill is a munitions expert, classical pianist, chemist, gunsmith, mechanic, ex-cop, ex-Delta Force, *and* the god drat Master of Unlocking at 23; Claire is a demolitions expert, burglar, motorcyclist, locksmith, and a student of the John Woo school of physically impossible gunfighting at 19; Rebecca is supposed to be a trained medic and a member of an elite police unit at 18; and Steve is a crack pilot, gunman, and can operate seemingly any kind of heavy machinery at the tender age of 17. Sherry must have been hiding her *true* power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Playing as Claire was a nightmare because, just like IRL, the shotgun is extremely the weapon of choice for people who can't aim for poo poo.

I'm sure on PC the 85 guns Claire carries are dope, but I'm a filthy casual playing on PS4 and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from an inch away.

Though the grenade launcher is so much better against Lickers than anything Leon has and lickers are the only enemy I struggled to fight