Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mike Danger posted:

I like to make meatloaf but I often find it comes out soggy on the bottom (I usually make it freeform on a baking sheet). Recently, I had the idea to do it on a rack over the baking sheet so it would be raised up out of the juices. I'm trying it today and I'm finding it's taking quite a while for my meat thermometer to show it as being cooked through. Is this normal? My thinking is that it's not in contact with a direct source of heat (the hot pan) anymore so it's taking longer to come to temperature, but I don't mess with a recipe like this a lot.

What recipe are you using? There's three things that will make a meatloaf go soggy:

1) There's too much liquid adjunct in the recipe and too little starch to soak it up. (i.e. Too much worcestershire sauce, and too few breadcrumbs.)
2) The meat is too fatty, and it's rendering out and sitting in it's own juices.
3) If you're incorporating vegetables, they're steaming out and losing their liquid into the meat, and there's not enough adjunct to soak it up.

Your meat ratio (beef/pork/veal/lamb) may also make a difference in the final consistency. You might also be under-cooking it - meatloaf is one of the rare (ha!) red meat recipes that I think benefits from being well done. You don't have to overcook it, but it needs to be cooked through to get the consistency right.

When I'm making meatloaf, I usually use my cast iron pan, and form it into a half-dome in the center of the pan. I'll leave about 2 to 3" of space between the edge of the meatloaf and the edge of the pan. I'll leave it in at 375 for about 45 minutes, then pull it out for a few moments to put my glaze on it, before returning it to the oven for an additional fifteen minutes. When it's done cooking, I've usually got a 1/2" of grease that's rendered out that I drain off before letting it cool, then lifting the loaf to a cutting board for carving. The cast iron generally gives it a nice "crusty" bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I have a recipe that calls for coating cubed chicken meat with a wet batter and deep frying it, could I bake the coated meat instead and get a close-enough result? Batter is corn starch, flour, egg, water, oil, salt & pepper.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

No. When you fry, the breading gets way hotter than you'd ever want the meat. When you bake, the difference is much smaller. You'll either take it out when the meat is done but the coating would be wet, or take it out when the coating is done and get hockey puck charred meat.

Most baked "fried" foods use a coating that crisps way earlier, like panko. I'd go that route if frying isn't in the cards.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

BrianBoitano posted:

No. When you fry, the breading gets way hotter than you'd ever want the meat. When you bake, the difference is much smaller. You'll either take it out when the meat is done but the coating would be wet, or take it out when the coating is done and get hockey puck charred meat.

Most baked "fried" foods use a coating that crisps way earlier, like panko. I'd go that route if frying isn't in the cards.

That makes sense, thanks. The recipe I want to do calls for fried chicken bits but the wife and I are trying to eat healthier so I'm looking for ways to get that same crispy crunchiness without the oil. I think we have some panko lying around...

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'm having the same problem with my pot roast, where the broth loses all the aromatic beef flavor during cooking. Is it possible that the dutch oven I'm using doesn't have enough of a seal with the lid? It's cheap thin ceramic so the lid isn't very heavy.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

I'm having the same problem with my pot roast, where the broth loses all the aromatic beef flavor during cooking. Is it possible that the dutch oven I'm using doesn't have enough of a seal with the lid? It's cheap thin ceramic so the lid isn't very heavy.

post your recipe

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Casu Marzu posted:

post your recipe

2.5 lb chuck roast
3 cups beef broth (3 cups water + 3 tsp reduced sodium Better than Bouillon)
1 cup red wine
A few carrots in 2 inch pieces
A few halved potatoes
2 halved onions
2 bay leaves, 1 tsp dried thyme, 1tsp dried rosemary, a few minced garlic cloves

1. Sprinkle black pepper on chuck and sear well on all sides
2. Put chuck in dutch oven along with seasonings and pour broth + wine over it
3. Roast covered for two hours at 300
4. Put vegetables in
5. Two more hours covered at 300
6. Transfer the broth to a pan, add potato starch slurry, heat until gravy, add some parsley and salt if necessary
7. Pour gravy over roast on your plate

The broth seemed to have lost a lot of its aroma already at the halfway mark when I took it out to put the vegetables in. I'm gonna try adding more bouillon broth before I put the starch in, too, to save it.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Shnooks posted:

So this recipe for Indian mango pickles (Aam ka Achar) says to leave them out in the sun for 4-5 days.... do you think it's too cold (about 0C/30F where I live) and also will that make me sick?

If there’s enough salt first, prolly not. But the whole point of the drying In The sunlight step is for heat to evaporate water. Mango pickle is made during mango season. It’s bloody hot, and you’re sick of eating the ripe ones, so you pull them early and pickle. Right now the mangoes will be crap. Wait till summer.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Hey uh kinda odd question but is there a reason most metal baking pans are made of very thin stainless or aluminum? Aside from cost of production. I am just wondering if you make it from too thick metal, what will happen? Will it absorb too much heat and overcook or burn whatever you keep in them, or it this BS? Because on the other hand it can't get hotter than the ambient them in the oven. But OTOH metal transfers heat faster than air.

Maybe am just wondering since it's time to bake some Runeberg tarts in Finland and I don't got any molds (straight cylinders 5cm wide, 6cm tall), but I got a lathe and some stainless pipe... Lathes do strange things to your thought processes...

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 6, 2019

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Many cast iron pans are quite thick.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Changing material and thickness will change how the bottom cooks. Thicker in general will make the bottom cook slower*, so cookies would spread more before setting and roasts wouldn't get browned on the bottom.

Changing materials could worsen or counteract this, depending on what you choose. Steel has way lower heat conductivity as aluminum, so it'd worsen this. Something that has a larger emissivity, such as darker pans, will cook faster.

The main issue with tinkering with either of these is that recipes developed by other people are all timed and tuned to existing pans. You could find unique uses for different heating profiles, but it'd require experimentation.

*assuming you start with a cold pan. Thick baking steel is used for its large thermal mass which can dump heat into bread or pizza, but that's preheated. A baking aluminum would dump the heat quicker, but wouldn't have as much total heat to dump.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Apropos of nothing there's a NICSA goin on. Secret ingredient beans! Join in the cooking.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3880552

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Whoops, I saw I wrote like an idiot there, not baking pans. I meant baking tins, or forms. But I think what you say applies anyway, it's just from the sides it gets baked faster instead.

What some commercial ones look like:

I think I could even use carbon steel pipe if I wanted and season it. Lol why do I make it so complicated instead of just buying forms.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Hey uh kinda odd question but is there a reason most metal baking pans are made of very thin stainless or aluminum? Aside from cost of production. I am just wondering if you make it from too thick metal, what will happen? Will it absorb too much heat and overcook or burn whatever you keep in them, or it this BS? Because on the other hand it can't get hotter than the ambient them in the oven. But OTOH metal transfers heat faster than air.

Maybe am just wondering since it's time to bake some Runeberg tarts in Finland and I don't got any molds (straight cylinders 5cm wide, 6cm tall), but I got a lathe and some stainless pipe... Lathes do strange things to your thought processes...

At a bakery I used to work at the "pans" we used to bake the quiches in were some rings of thick steel and the same thickness of flat plate steel the owner had a blacksmith friend make for him.
We treated them like cast iron in regards to how they were washed and stored.
They produced crusts that were wondefully crisp and golden brown.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

It's my week to host our traveling dinner party/game night and I am making naan personal pizzas for everyone. One of my friends has requested ham and pineapple on hers, and while I've eaten ham on pizza plenty of times I have never really made it before. For best results, should I get a ham steak and slice/cube that up, or should I just go to the deli counter and request they slice me something a little thicker than usual?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Bluedeanie posted:

It's my week to host our traveling dinner party/game night and I am making naan personal pizzas for everyone. One of my friends has requested ham and pineapple on hers, and while I've eaten ham on pizza plenty of times I have never really made it before. For best results, should I get a ham steak and slice/cube that up, or should I just go to the deli counter and request they slice me something a little thicker than usual?

Ham steak is fine, just make sure to pat it dry if there is any liquid in the packaging.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Depends on how they like their ham and pineapple. I’d ask them more details about it.

IMO, ham and pineapple works best if you have the following:

- rich, flavorful sauce
- fatty, crispy slices of ham
- caramelized chunks of tart pineapple

Ham and pineapple works because the sugary-sour pineapple balances out the fatty meaty ham. Sugar and fat are a match made in diabetic hell heaven, take advantage of that. Maybe add a little heat to the sauce or something.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'm not sure I'd fool around with all the freezing/peeling stuff, but do use big onions with thick layers. I usually do a beer batter with a light brown beer like Newcastle or Amberbock. You can add some soda water or a an egg white beaten to light peaks for extra light/fluffy/cripsy batter too. The cornstarch helps keep it light as well. Garlic/onion powder are good in fried batters like that too.

Update: the batter was good, the process was not.

Yes, the membranes peeled right off. But the onions were soggy and limp! The whole reason I like fresh onion rings is the snap of a partially cooked onion.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yes, the membranes peeled right off. But the onions were soggy and limp! The whole reason I like fresh onion rings is the snap of a partially cooked onion.

You're the odd one out on this, methinks.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I tried that serious eats recipe/method and it was a big ol' wet piece of poo poo for me too.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

You're the odd one out on this, methinks.

Well, I guess people do eat those nasty "onion rings" from Burger King.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Bluedeanie posted:

One of my friends has requested ham and pineapple on hers, and while I've eaten ham on pizza plenty of times I have never really made it before. For best results, should I get a ham steak and slice/cube that up, or should I just go to the deli counter and request they slice me something a little thicker than usual?

Use Canadian bacon, imo

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

DasNeonLicht posted:

Use Canadian bacon, imo

For a glorious moment, I thought this was in response to the onion rings chat.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Well, I guess people do eat those nasty "onion rings" from Burger King.

There's a vast gulf between burger king's abominations and a tender onion ring.

I do like BKs ~~zesty~~ sauce though.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Pollyanna posted:

Ham and pineapple works

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jewel Repetition posted:

2.5 lb chuck roast
1 cup beef broth (1 cups water + 3 tsp reduced sodium Better than Bouillon)
1 cup red wine
A few carrots in 2 inch pieces
A few halved potatoes
2 halved onions
2 bay leaves, 1 tsp dried thyme, 1tsp dried rosemary, a few minced garlic cloves

1. Sprinkle black pepper on chuck and sear well on all sides
2. Put chuck in dutch oven along with seasonings and pour broth + wine over it
4. Put vegetables in
5. Two more hours covered at 300
6. Transfer the broth to a pan, add potato starch slurry, heat until gravy, add some parsley and salt if necessary
7. Pour gravy over roast on your plate

The broth seemed to have lost a lot of its aroma already at the halfway mark when I took it out to put the vegetables in. I'm gonna try adding more bouillon broth before I put the starch in, too, to save it.

Yeah, you're over cooking it by like, 2 hours are you temping it?

Try this variation on your recipe, Cut the cooking time and liquids in half, and make sure you deglaze the pan with broth and wine before you throw it into the pot to get more of the good seared flavor, or sear it in the dutch oven tbh. You're going to be getting a lot more love from your vegetables if you cut the liquid down.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 7, 2019

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Squashy Nipples posted:

To be fair, the recipe is pretty clear about how you're freezing the onions in order to do this. You could always just not freeze the onions!

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Suspect Bucket posted:

For a glorious moment, I thought this was in response to the onion rings chat.

poo poo, I quoted the wrong post

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

There's a vast gulf between burger king's abominations and a tender onion ring.

Fair enough.

Casu Marzu posted:

I do like BKs ~~zesty~~ sauce though.

ugh... so do I. *SHAME*

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

sear it in the dutch oven

I've started just doing this for anything that gets cooked in it anyway. One more reason to own a thick, well seasoned dutch oven.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Any thoughts about quick/easy dishes to use up tomato puree other than some sort of marinara sauce?

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

Any thoughts about quick/easy dishes to use up tomato puree other than some sort of marinara sauce?

Not exactly quick (unless you have a pressure cooker) but lamb shanks? Made some a few weeks back, just a simple braise with carrots, onions, parsnips and then a tomato puree + red wine sauce.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

Tomato soup?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

Fair enough.

ugh... so do I. *SHAME*

I read years ago that BK made their onion rings using sodium alginate and calcium chloride in a manner similar to the fake caviar fad that rolled through modernist cooking.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

totalnewbie posted:

Crock pot bbq made with Boston butt or curry.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

Butter chicken.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

totalnewbie posted:

Chicken and lentils

Oh poo poo I have some crushed tomatoes I gotta use up

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

totalnewbie posted:

chicken cacciatore?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Suspect Bucket posted:

Chicken and lentils
You have a good recipe for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You have a good recipe for this?

Yep, 7 pages back.

Suspect Bucket posted:

I've actually got a killer lentils, chicken, and tomatos recipe that you can make as soupy as you like, and it's a one-pot instant pot meal, so easy cleanup. Great weeknight meal, I make it twice a month.

Suspect's Totally Culturally Misappropriated "Morroccan" Lentil Chicken Stew (4 Servings)

- 2lb of dark meat chicken, skin on. Can be off the bone and chopped into bite size for easy eating, or on for presentation. DO NOT USE WHITE MEAT FOR THIS.
- Frying Oil (we like to use coconut because the house is full of it, but olive, canola, veg, whatever is fine)
- Salt
- 1 onion, yellow/white who cares
- 2-4ish garlic cloves, smashed and minced
- 1 tbsp of cumin
- 1 .5 Tbsp smoked paprika (unsmoked is also ok, but that means you definitely want to have Liquid Smoke)
- Liquid Smoke aka "Cheating" (Ok if you don't have this, but you will definitely want to have Smoked Paprika)
-1 cup lentils. I use brown, but red or yellow work too.
- 14oz crushed tomato (half a big can) (or you know what, you can put the whole thing in if you like tomato, it's your stew and who wants half a can of tomatoes sitting around, just be sure to add less liquid later on). A nice canned variety with tomato chunks, or whatever you got. I aint the boss of you.
- 2 Cups water or Chicken Stock (less if using mucho canned tomato)
-If using water, 2 chicken stock cubes (We use Maggi, because we are cheap, and it tastes good)
- 1-3 Bay Leaves
-Instant Pot (You can do it stovetop if you want, just takes longer)

Pat chicken pieces dry and lightly salt. Set IP to saute (medium if you can set it, keep an eye on it if it's the old style that only has one saute mode), add a drizzle of oil (just enough to coat the pot bottom and pool a touch on the sides) and get your oil warmed up for sizzling. Sizzle (bloom) your cumin, should start smelling good in 30 seconds. If you somehow burn the cumin, START OVER.
Add paprika and towel dried chicken to pot, sizzle to brown the chicken off. Once you've got at least a bit of good browning on, add chopped onions and crushed minced garlic to pot. Just trying to sweat the onions and garlic down here, get them soft and mingle the flavors, not looking for too much browning, so turn the IP down to low.
Once you're sick of staring at onions, throw in the canned tomato and water/stock, and STIR. Scrape the good stuff off the bottom of the pot, get it all going in there. Then add the lentils. Lentils are forgiving, don't worry about adding too much liquid, worst case scenario you have a thin stew and you just have to simmer off some liquid at the end. ADD THE BAY LEAVES DONT FORGET THEM. Add the stock cubes and two jots of Liquid Smoke and stir to incorporate.
Seal IP, set Manual 10 Minutes High. Natural Release. If stovetop, Low Simmer covered for 45 minutes/till the lentils are cooked.
When you can get the lid off, stir and taste. Remove Bay Leaves. If too thin, simmer uncovered to reduce. Add salt and pepper to taste, maybe some chili flakes if you want heat.

Refrigerates like a champ to take to work/eat the next day.

You can totally use puree, just throw a honked up fresh tomato in there for some bulk