Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

That was the most hosed up part of the doco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Goodpancakes posted:

So the coin exchange uses a non crypto ledger? Too loving good

A ledger is a strong word for a text file on ephemeral storage in an EC2 pod.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Driving home tonight I turned on the radio and they were talking about how $190mill was locked away by that guy dying.

"Oh god they're talking about cryptocurrency, why can't they get someone who actually knows about this on?"

"Here's David Gerard to explain what this means"

Well done divabot, I definitely got the impression that Anna Foster came away from that with a better understanding of how dumb these people are.

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:

Goodpancakes posted:

So the coin exchange uses a non crypto ledger? Too loving good

bitcoin is the reserve currency for a fiat pseudobanking system, and it also turns out to generally be a fractional reserve system since most exchanges do not have enough bitcoins to fully cover their deposits

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Soviet Space Dog posted:

bitcoin is the reserve currency for a fiat pseudobanking system, and it also turns out to generally be a fractional reserve system since most exchanges do not have enough bitcoins to fully cover their deposits
It's gonna be pseudobanking systems all the way down pretty soon.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Bitcoin not only is making literally every economics mistake since the recreation of a cash economy in Europe, but has inadvertently recreated the same solutions to those problems without any of the safeguards to monitor or police them, all the while insisting that this way is better on ideological grounds for not doing the things that real economies do.

There is no :ironicat: big enough.

naem
May 29, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Just got an email from the goatse.cx owner, apparently goatse is on the blockchain now.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

The goat man deserves better

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'll trade you .008 goatkoin for your sweet hat.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
So, this is like the million-dollar homepage, only it’s the goat man, and it’s 1/10th the price? How many pixels are there in this block chain goatse?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Below 3400. Its' been slowly dropping for a while. Not much in the way of climbs. Just a slow steady drop.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

We need to open this thing with both hands! Everyone needs to look deep into this money pit.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Just got an email from the goatse.cx owner, apparently goatse is on the blockchain now.

Goatsexchange, idk what else you would expect from the currency of the Internet.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

By popular demand posted:

We need to open this thing with both hands! Everyone needs to look deep into this money pit.

where's the webring

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Waltzing Along posted:

Below 3400. Its' been slowly dropping for a while. Not much in the way of climbs. Just a slow steady drop.

Bitcoin could poo poo itself to death at any moment:

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Number go up?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
bitcoin is destined to increase inversely

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

McGiggins posted:

Number go up?
Only in Australia

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

if you think about it, down is always in the direction of the moon at some point

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

Bitcoin could poo poo itself to death at any moment:

lol, log scale.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Why does the owner of goatse have your email address?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lambert posted:

lol, log scale.
This interview is over!

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

ilmucche posted:

Why does the owner of goatse have your email address?

lol if you haven't signed up for the goatse newsletter

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
Serious question: 1 bitcoin is worth 3,365.99 today. Let's say I put 1 bitcoin onto a sports gambling site. I make bets for like a year, win some/lose some and end up at exactly 1 bitcoin. Problem is, 1 bitcoin is now only worth $1000. If I want to cash out, am I only getting a grand? All the betting sites I use are now switching to bitcoin and when they suggest using it I zone out.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Splicer posted:

Only in Australia

Lol!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

kolby posted:

I make bets for like a year, win some/lose some and end up at exactly 1 bitcoin. Problem is, 1 bitcoin is now only worth $1000. If I want to cash out, am I only getting a grand?
You know the answer to this.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

kolby posted:

Serious question: 1 bitcoin is worth 3,365.99 today. Let's say I put 1 bitcoin onto a sports gambling site. I make bets for like a year, win some/lose some and end up at exactly 1 bitcoin. Problem is, 1 bitcoin is now only worth $1000. If I want to cash out, am I only getting a grand? All the betting sites I use are now switching to bitcoin and when they suggest using it I zone out.

1 btc = 1 btc

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

kolby posted:

if it goes up you were betting in USD with bitcoin is an intermediary

if it goes down you were betting in bitcoin the whole time

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lmao apparently there was some secret shadowy meeting among the Bitcoin cabal to determine the future of bitcoins, and someone there brought up the possibility of Bitcoin being increasingly vulnerable to a 51% attack as miner supply and the amount of bitcoins rewarded for a block dropped. He suggested a small small amount of inflation to keep the amount of bitcoins rewarded for mining up high enough to keep miners mining and prevent a 51% attack, and he's getting torn to poo poo on Twitter by people who say Bitcoin is worthless if there is inflation in the currency.

https://twitter.com/realLudvigArt/status/1092785218832846848?s=20

His response was how in the gently caress is Bitcoin "gold" if you can't move it, make a transaction, or do anything with it? Which is really the core of the question surrounding cryptocurrency. Butts are worthless once you can't even buy ketamine at a shady Russian website anymore.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 7, 2019

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

orange juche posted:

Lmao apparently there was some secret shadowy meeting among the Bitcoin cabal to determine the future of bitcoins, and someone there brought up the possibility of Bitcoin being increasingly vulnerable to a 51% attack as miner supply and the amount of bitcoins rewarded for a block dropped. He suggested a small small amount of inflation to keep the amount of bitcoins rewarded for mining up high enough to keep miners mining and prevent a 51% attack, and he's getting torn to poo poo on Twitter by people who say Bitcoin is worthless if there is inflation in the currency.

https://twitter.com/realLudvigArt/status/1092785218832846848?s=20
Just like how nobody wants that worthless inflating US dollar!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bitcoin really is a haven for gold bug libertarian idiots isn't it

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

https://www.thedailybeast.com/john-galton-wanted-libertarian-paradise-in-anarchapulco-he-got-bullets-instead

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Extreme pro click, even if you’ve already read about the guy’s cartel execution.

quote:

The conference is located in a ritzy Acapulco hotel. Attendees will have shelled out $545 for tickets, with options to pay an additional $495 for an “investment summit,” $255 for the “Infinite Man” summit with a pickup artist, $140 for “De-Mystifying the Occult,” and $250 each for various drug ceremonies like “Jaguar Vision,” an hour-long DMT experience.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

El_Elegante posted:

Extreme pro click, even if you’ve already read about the guy’s cartel execution.

quote:

The conference is located in a ritzy Acapulco hotel. Attendees will have shelled out $545 for tickets, with options to pay an additional $495 for an “investment summit,” $255 for the “Infinite Man” summit with a pickup artist, $140 for “De-Mystifying the Occult,” and $250 each for various drug ceremonies like “Jaguar Vision,” an hour-long DMT experience.

it's like Burning Man

only Shooting Man

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I like that the first instincts of both Forester and the friend shot and dying in a separate room were to ask for help via Facebook video posts.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Diva Cupcake posted:

I like that the first instincts of both Forester and the friend shot and dying in a separate room were to ask for help via Facebook video posts.

It’s hilarious, I just hope any innocent people never do this.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

NtotheTC posted:

Driving home tonight I turned on the radio and they were talking about how $190mill was locked away by that guy dying.

"Oh god they're talking about cryptocurrency, why can't they get someone who actually knows about this on?"

"Here's David Gerard to explain what this means"

Well done divabot, I definitely got the impression that Anna Foster came away from that with a better understanding of how dumb these people are.

i just put up copies of this 5 Live one and the one from CBC Vancouver that I recorded 30 min later, debating with some crypto fan.

also did one on Toronto 640, no recording of that is up as yet though apparently there might be one

also did a Skype piece for CoinTelegraph's youtube, apparently up on Sunday

and a quick chat to the Economist

it turns out a reputation for answering the phone gets you a long way

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

divabot posted:

i just put up copies of this 5 Live one and the one from CBC Vancouver that I recorded 30 min later, debating with some crypto fan.

also did one on Toronto 640, no recording of that is up as yet though apparently there might be one

also did a Skype piece for CoinTelegraph's youtube, apparently up on Sunday

and a quick chat to the Economist

it turns out a reputation for answering the phone gets you a long way

This is awesome keep up the great work and fighting the good fight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://twitter.com/riskybusiness/status/1090322938975449091