Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Considering planting 1/4 of an acre of potatoes next season. Gonna do the box method. Hoping to never pay for a potato again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

They taste awesome too fresh out of the ground. But it's work for sure.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Watched a youtube on a potato box, seems interesting and relatively easy.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Hey, that looks pretty sweet. And if I start the boxes early, they'll both suppress and support my raspberry bushes in the back and I can set up twin on the sides facing the sun for sugarsnaps! :kimchi:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Gotta say, firing some within 5 minutes of walking in the door as a new program manager and then immediately having a staff meeting afterwards leads to some... weird energy at said staff meeting.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's...odd. What were the circumstances?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I mean sometimes you have to resort to prison rules.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Did the meeting include the question "Anyone else?"

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Slim Pickens posted:

That's...odd. What were the circumstances?

Malfeasance and high school drama bullshit. Spent a lot of time going over it with my HR director and boss yesterday. Decided that I have enough on my plate taking on this (struggling) program without dealing with all that drama and my HR signed off on it.

orange juche posted:

Did the meeting include the question "Anyone else?"

No, I just said that was all the staffing changes I was planning at this time and if anyone was concerned about their employment status I would happily talk with them one on one. I then launched into my plan to get poo poo back on track. Considering they’ve been rudderless and stagnant for going on six months, I think they were just glad to have a new manager. Energy changed pretty quickly from “WTF” to excitement.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Temp is already starting to dive, and winds have picked up. Gusts are 30-35 ish and I’m in the western burbs

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Syrian Lannister posted:

Temp is already starting to dive, and winds have picked up. Gusts are 30-35 ish and I’m in the western burbs

You in PNW? get ready to get buried

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the weekend is gonna be a shitshow. Over a foot by Monday and more through the week.

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2019/02/a-major-snowstorm-will-hit-region.html?m=1

Hope our kid doesn't decide to pop out during snowmageddon, a home birth doesn't sound great

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’m prepared but holy poo poo this looks bad.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m prepared but holy poo poo this looks bad.

I mean its nothing next to lake effect poo poo (your house won't literally get buried in snow) but you should have several days of nonperishables in case you can't get to a store because you got snowed in. Also hope you have a chainsaw and maybe a snowblower if you value your back.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I got multiple chainsaws, a flamethrower, a generator and 400 gallons of propane.

Doesn’t snow enough for a snow blower. I’ll be most likely clearing trees most of the weekend.

This was yesterday. Only two inches but it’s stuck around.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

LingcodKilla posted:

Only two inches but it’s stuck around.

Quit signing your posts.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
RIP crabman

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Only two inches but it’s stuck around.

:same:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Learning about the USS Liberty today was really interesting but also horrifying.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

LingcodKilla posted:

I got multiple chainsaws, a flamethrower, a generator and 400 gallons of propane.

Doesn’t snow enough for a snow blower. I’ll be most likely clearing trees most of the weekend.

The GF was gonna take her youngest son to the Portland Zoo. She cancelled and now we gonna spend the weekend being lazy.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

Gonna need more than that to shred bra

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Soulex posted:

Learning about the USS Liberty today was really interesting but also horrifying.

Israel is basically the worst ally.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Mr. Nice! posted:

Israel is basically the worst ally.

Between them and Saudi Arabia it's like we're purposefully making the Middle East a worse place.

Narrator: They are.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Sandbox multiplayer never felt so real.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

EBB posted:

Bloops, coming into town tomorrow. hmu bae

How long are you in town for? Bad weekend for me with midterms next week.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I won’t even have to wear a snow suit this weekend with all the heat I got.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Crossposting but IDGAF cause I'm stressing real bad right now,

So talking to my buddy who's home based, apparently when they started the WebEx yesterday, they accidentally started with the slide that said "discussing packages with your director".

This was before anyone knew what the call was about.

Also the higher ups seem to think this is not going to impact productivity or quality at all from conversations they've had with managers. 40 people are impacted by the no more home based policy as of right now, only two or three are making plans to come to the office (since they are still semi local).

Good job, idiots!

They also lied about relocation packages, told managers it's be 25k for gold star employees. When the final amount was offered, it was 15. Four thousand more than the severance package to move back to DC. They also said that you'd be fine to keep your insurance until you left, now they changed their minds and have said only if you can't get on a spouses plan. How are they so bad at this?

My office is like a powder keg right now and there's a town hall this afternoon about this. My director, who's a good guy and I'm almost positive had no idea this was coming until a couple of days ago, looks absolutely miserable. Apparently on all the calls he did with HR yesterday, he looked dead inside. He's normally a very happy guy.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Your company is about to commit corporate seppuku. Get the gently caress out.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Vasudus posted:

Your company is about to commit corporate seppuku. Get the gently caress out.

That's the plan.

You hiring? lol. I'm only half kidding at this point.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Run. Run far. Run wide.

They are going to get gutted, and I suspect even a few Execs are lining up parachutes right now.

My story for the month: We bought a new house in December, and we had our old house under Contract within a month.

Reasonable demands by buyers: discount for work needed (carpets/paint/minor repairs), and closing was set for mid February.

Inspection comes and goes, nothing much needs work, some minor negotiating on closing costs, nothing major.

Suddenly, a week before closing, they conduct another inspection and start making massive demands, almost triple the closing costs, another significant discount for repairs.

So we cancelled the sale last night. And now we're under contract again with a different buyer the next day.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 8, 2019

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Handsome Ralph posted:

So talking to my buddy who's home based, apparently when they started the WebEx yesterday, they accidentally started with the slide that said "discussing packages with your director".

that was on purpose fwiw

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

How are companies so bad at this?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Keep up posted, I'm curious how it all turns out.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

DoktorLoken posted:

How are companies MBAs so bad at this?

Fixed.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

DoktorLoken posted:

Boy howdy, I'd love to share some stories

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
One neat trick to purging employees, managers love it!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

A new twist!

A co-worker of mine got a job offer a few days ago before this all hit. When they told their boss to try get a counter offer, they both thought at most our company would offer a 10% bump to try keep them. They offered 20% and a promotion. What the fuckkkkkkk

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Handsome Ralph posted:

That's the plan.

You hiring? lol. I'm only half kidding at this point.

there's probably something out there if you want a referral

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

I’ll have you know that wealthy companies don’t get to where they are by making stupid decisions. -My boomer coworkers, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

We need to increase profits. Quick! Fire some people!