Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Foreskin Problems posted:

Is the book still coming out in September?

They said the book was coming out 'soon' so I can't see why it wouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Oh man, the imprisoning monsters joke, pretty on the nose racism metaphor stuff there.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Nephthys posted:

Don't forget about this:

Which episode was that from?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Shitenshi posted:

Which episode was that from?

"Page Turner," the one that introduced us to the Magic High Commission and had Star read Eclipsa's chapter in the Book of Spells. She had Marco turn the page, and so that happened.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I really appreciate how ballsy this show is, politically. It's such a huge reversal from the average kids' show, or any show, to have Star just give up the wand, and the throne, because they don't belong to her. She doesn't quibble about the disruption it's going to cause; she just gives them to the rightful owner.

It's basically an argument in favor of reparations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Rand Brittain posted:

I really appreciate how ballsy this show is, politically. It's such a huge reversal from the average kids' show, or any show, to have Star just give up the wand, and the throne, because they don't belong to her. She doesn't quibble about the disruption it's going to cause; she just gives them to the rightful owner.

It's basically an argument in favor of reparations.

Especially since even from what we've seen of what happens in the preview, Star has no regrets, despite most of the populace now hating her. As far as she is concerned, all the poo poo that happens from now on will be tumultuous yes, but after the poo poo Mewni pulled it needs to get messy for any progress to happen. The kingdom may end up in turmoil for now, but it will rise stronger than ever before.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

Especially since even from what we've seen of what happens in the preview, Star has no regrets, despite most of the populace now hating her. As far as she is concerned, all the poo poo that happens from now on will be tumultuous yes, but after the poo poo Mewni pulled it needs to get messy for any progress to happen. The kingdom may end up in turmoil for now, but it will rise stronger than ever before.

LOL that the preview is basically the prison-industrial complex after they're no longer allowed to oppress the local minority with impunity

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
So the Magic Book of Spells has been released! For those who haven't been keeping track, it's a big book akin to Gravity Falls' Journal 3, and is filled with ~deepest lore~ on the background of Mewni and past queens-13 of them, to be specific. According to Daron it's effectively Season 3.5, and is partially intended to help tide people over between Season 3 and 4.

Some tidbits thus far:

-The book we see in the show was actually the second Magic Book of Spells, as the first was destroyed in a fire. Double spoilers: Apparently there's a way for the book to come back from a single fragment, so don't be surprised if that pops up next season
-Glossaryck has 'existed forever', but was called into being by a past queen of Mewni who wanted to understand the Realm of Magic. Glossaryck then created the high commission, which includes a new member who hasn't appeared in the show yet.
-Skywynne's chapter is the first chapter, and is apparently the only one that Star bothered to read all the way through. It's got a few different time-related spells, which may or may not pop up in the show.
-Solaria was a genocidal maniac, which is... not a surprise. The old sea captain (Guy in the portrait from Blood Moon Ball) was also one of her advisors, Alphonse the Worthy. edit spoiler:ah poo poo he's Eclipsa's dad
-Solaria basically kickstarted the monster war into a brutal war of genocidal conquest, which actually backfired on the Mewmans until the Pony Heads and Lucitors joined them in an alliance. To help fight the war, Solaria dug up some old spells and subjected peasant volunteers to magical experiments to make them braver, stronger, and to lack any conscience in battle. Turns out old Mina Loveberry was the first volunteer.

I'll probably post a few new tidbits as I leaf through it that seem relevant to the show's plot, but on the whole it seems pretty neat! Interesting lore, some great art spreads, really solid product all around.

Edit: this is the last book I ever expected to have the word 'kink' in it

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 12, 2018

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Damnit! Amazon keeps shipping the book via UPS. Is it just a fluff book, or is it being used as a story bridge between seasons 3 and 4?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Foreskin Problems posted:

Damnit! Amazon keeps shipping the book via UPS. Is it just a fluff book, or is it being used as a story bridge between seasons 3 and 4?

It is 100% background lore, since it ends right before Star lost the book in Bon-Bon (Though it does include some of Ludo's scribbles).

E: It does include some things that'll almost certainly show up in Season 4, such as a spell that can crack Rhombulus' crystals and a 'retired' member of the Magical High Commission cursed to speak only in riddles, but nothing that seems like it'll be necessary to understand the next season's plot.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 12, 2018

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

My book came today, and the main thing I have to say is: buy the book. There are scans floating around already, but it’s worth having the actual book to really appreciate the level of detail.

Probably one of the most fun things are the little coded messages throughout. Most of them have been translated, I think, but there’s a few bits here and there that I’m going to take a crack at

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Star's chapter is pretty lame, but it fits because she barely ever touches the book.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
New Season 4 clip at exceptionally lovely quality from NYCC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dS12i1vESQ

E: better video

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 7, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I kind of dig where they are going with this, because the idea that what Star is doing is necessary but painful (for the Mewmans because they are worthless idiots to a one) is interesting. She is basically dragging Mewni into a better place, but there are a lot of ugly stops along the way and Mewni is at the back of the bus being bounced hard on every speedbump.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

BioEnchanted posted:

I kind of dig where they are going with this, because the idea that what Star is doing is necessary but painful (for the Mewmans because they are worthless idiots to a one) is interesting. She is basically dragging Mewni into a better place, but there are a lot of ugly stops along the way and Mewni is at the back of the bus being bounced hard on every speedbump.

I think it's definitely long due. There's been a ton of focus on the monsters but very little on the Mewmans themselves except as angry mobs or punchlines, and it'll be good to see some real focus on how they see themselves, the monsters, and the monarchy above them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Though there is an argument to be had that Star screwed up, it's about right.

Of course, it's not like life has significantly changed for better or worse for the Mewmans from the look of it, they just don't get to have an underclass to look down on anymore. The other preview where their prison-industrial complex is suddenly out of monsters to freely abuse is pretty significant. It's not very thinly veiled white grievance. Unfortunately, I get the feeling the logical next step is Mewmans getting reactionary.

Pony Head as a sock puppet is a laugh and kinda fitting. Also portrayed extremely accurately.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mewmans getting reactionary.

Corn anxiety. Buttery corn. Just asking questions (about corn).

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Whiz Palace posted:

Corn anxiety. Buttery corn. Just asking questions (about corn).

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mewni in a lot of ways is an allegory for American racial politics, especially that the Mewmans don't seem to realise it's not like not like anything's changed much for them, they're still mostly living in squalor. (and they've explored it before like the anti-monster racism not being applied to certain groups for basically arbitrary reasons, and usually because they're rich)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Especially given the pigeons invaded their castle and just murdered everyone that dwelled there, then went "Mine now!"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The allegory kinda falls apart on the episode where all the monsters just voluntarily vacated the dimension with just a sigh and a regret.

Normally that type of thing happens forcibly with the logistical issues (and no small amount of malice) involved killing thousands.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

The allegory kinda falls apart on the episode where all the monsters just voluntarily vacated the dimension with just a sigh and a regret.

Normally that type of thing happens forcibly with the logistical issues (and no small amount of malice) involved killing thousands.

They're pretty much seeking asylum in other dimensions until Star fixes Mewni.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SlothfulCobra posted:

That's why it's an allegory and not a painstaking recreation of real events my dude. :v:

It is still a children's show after all.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I wonder if people who do not obsessively think about children's cartoons will pick up on that.
Heck, I wonder if children will pick up on that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Surely at some point somebody is going to notice that Star is more or less textually arguing on behalf of reparations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's a mini trail of tears, for the 2nd graders in the audience.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/DaronNefcy/status/1069634710291136512

:toot:

Still no word on when new episodes are coming out, though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
So apparently the third season just finished airing in Japan, and they got a new promo for Season 4 with a release date—May 5th.

Still no word on when the show is coming back here, though!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/DaronNefcy/status/1093550078311030785

Some season 4 episode titles:
https://twitter.com/DisneyXD/status/1093555241784553473

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
This seems right.

Looking forward to this, but generally I wasn't a fan of spending all this time in Star's dimension.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Andrew_1985 posted:

This seems right.

Looking forward to this, but generally I wasn't a fan of spending all this time in Star's dimension.

:same:

I really liked season 1/2's split between Mewni and Earth time. I get that now they kinda have to be there full time to necessitate the ongoing plot about changing the social structure of the place but still...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
New Season 4 promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrtYaRuwBSo

I for one am excited for the Legion of Marco

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Hot drat, two episodes for the price of one! Turns out the season starts with two double-length episodes, and of all things we find out where Festivia came from.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Oh gently caress I forgot the new season started this morning and didn't set my DVR!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

TwoPair posted:

Oh gently caress I forgot the new season started this morning and didn't set my DVR!

You can always watch it on DisneyNow since you have a cable sub.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Well, that sure was a nearly year-long hiatus!

On the whole, I liked both episodes... but I also felt it really didn't need to be two full 22 minute episodes. They both followed a pretty similar arc and tread a lot of the same ground, and arguably they could have condensed both to singular 11 minute segments, made them part of the same episode, or put an episode or two in-between them so the deja vu isn't quite as immediate. As it stands, both felt pretty bloated and Escape from the Pie Folk is in a lot of ways a flat-out retread of the previous episode, which is... not great.

With that said, there's still a lot of neat stuff in both episodes. Eclipsa was wonderful as always, River without Moon is an entertaining trainwreck, and Tom calling Marco immediately after Star hung up on him was great. It was also neat to see more of the 'normal' Mewmans, who unsurprisingly hate the poo poo out of Star. It seems like a good guess that a major aspect of this season is going to be the ordinary Mewmans chafing under Eclipsa's rule and monster equality, and the first episode in particular very obviously set that up as a future conflict.

Anyway, summaries for two of next week's episodes:

Moon Remembers: Moon is back, and Star wants to find the perfect time to tell her about Globgor
Swim Suit: Star and Marco plan their beach day, but Eclipsa needs Star's help with an unexpected problem.

Summaries for Ransomgram and Lake House Fever haven't been released yet, but I'll post them if I see them.

And finally, on a pretty sad note:

https://twitter.com/DaronNefcy/status/1104903522036772864

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So, when the disguised Foolduke bought Star and Friends from the Pie King at the Pie Folk harbor, did I seriously hear him say "drat!" at how much she was willing to pay for them? If so, I never thought I'd hear that on the Disney XD channel. Then again, I was also surprised when that Dreamworks movie Road to El Dorado said "hell," in the context of, "Let's get the hell out of here!" multiple times.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Shitenshi posted:

So, when the disguised Foolduke bought Star and Friends from the Pie King at the Pie Folk harbor, did I seriously hear him say "drat!" at how much she was willing to pay for them? If so, I never thought I'd hear that on the Disney XD channel. Then again, I was also surprised when that Dreamworks movie Road to El Dorado said "hell," in the context of, "Let's get the hell out of here!" multiple times.

Nah, he's just saying "Deal."

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Marco's also taking his Turdina role seriously. He seemed really interested in that male Moon actor's tips on emulating a woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Shitenshi posted:

Marco's also taking his Turdina role seriously. He seemed really interested in that male Moon actor's tips on emulating a woman.

that was my favorite side moment: boys talking about makeup.