Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm looking for some reading for something I suspect exists out there already. I'm assuming there's some rough idea of software complexity that is similar to Big O notation and it goes something like:

1. Adding new features tends to add exponential complexity because the new features have to inter-operate.
2. A lot of our shortcomings in understanding a problem come down to assuming the complexity is just linear.
3. Good software design tries its best to turn the exponential complexity into linear complexity.
4. Despite this, good software design usually just reduces the factor of exponential complexity and you still hit a point where a new feature just fucks you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
I've been a lead/management level developer for years now, and my current position is Software Development Manager. I do functional management part of the time, but I'm also developing on projects as my expertise is needed. My SO and I are currently living in the Atlantic provinces, and we're looking to leave our geographic location for a place that a) pays more (around here we get ~60-70% of industry standard) and is b) less dying.

In addition to looking for work directly in the city we're aiming for, I'm also looking at remote positions, because hell yes I want that flexibility, if possible.

The problem I appear to be having is that most of the positions that appeal to me and/or are actually remote are straight-up development positions, not management. I get the feeling that I'm being overlooked for these because my current title is management-specific. I've contacted ~~~RECRUITERS~~~ in cases where I fulfilled not only the position requirements, but also all the nice-to-haves, and been completely ignored. Without getting any response at all, I can only guess, but I get the feeling they see that title and stop reading.

Any advice?

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm looking for some reading for something I suspect exists out there already. I'm assuming there's some rough idea of software complexity that is similar to Big O notation and it goes something like:

1. Adding new features tends to add exponential complexity because the new features have to inter-operate.
2. A lot of our shortcomings in understanding a problem come down to assuming the complexity is just linear.
3. Good software design tries its best to turn the exponential complexity into linear complexity.
4. Despite this, good software design usually just reduces the factor of exponential complexity and you still hit a point where a new feature just fucks you.

Think of it like network effects, feature A and feature B interact. Even if it's just to the extent of you having to consider if they are related. Then you add feature C which interacts with both.

I don't think that goes through steps of growth rates like Big O does. Try some reading on accidental vs essential complexity, it might inspire you.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Landau notation is a way to express how a function grows, it doesn't have to be a function outputting time or space. So it's just Landau notation again

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

runupon cracker posted:

I've been a lead/management level developer for years now, and my current position is Software Development Manager. I do functional management part of the time, but I'm also developing on projects as my expertise is needed. My SO and I are currently living in the Atlantic provinces, and we're looking to leave our geographic location for a place that a) pays more (around here we get ~60-70% of industry standard) and is b) less dying.

In addition to looking for work directly in the city we're aiming for, I'm also looking at remote positions, because hell yes I want that flexibility, if possible.

The problem I appear to be having is that most of the positions that appeal to me and/or are actually remote are straight-up development positions, not management. I get the feeling that I'm being overlooked for these because my current title is management-specific. I've contacted ~~~RECRUITERS~~~ in cases where I fulfilled not only the position requirements, but also all the nice-to-haves, and been completely ignored. Without getting any response at all, I can only guess, but I get the feeling they see that title and stop reading.

Any advice?

If you've actually been doing development work, change the title on your resume to Software Developer and let your references know to talk up your technical leadership. You want your resume to emphasize relevant work experience. Just like you don't include the times you worked retail on a software engineer position you don't include management experience when applying to be an individual contributor and there's not much value in including individual contributor experience when applying to a management position.

I've never yet met a manager who also wrote good code, even if they used to before changing tracks; so I'll agree your title and maybe any management experience in your resume is likely working against you.

Don't get discouraged. Especially when trying to land your first remote job it is going to take some time.

Consider linking an anonymized resume here or in the newbie thread to get feedback.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

runupon cracker posted:

Any advice?
I’ve manipulated really lame titles for made up / informal ones. I’ve had generic architect and analyst in my title and subtexted in “X Software Engineer” before and gotten questions closer to what I’d really be doing. The bigger subtle concern has been “this guy went consultant, why is he going into engineering again this late?” and raising some eyebrows. To make it more clear you’re still very technical, a Github profile definitely helps or putting your e-mail and professional site up on the resume.

The more acceptable / likely path for you (not that different from me) is to be on-site at a solidly reputable, growing company for a few years, establish trust / network and all that then go remote with high frequency of visits to an office. I’ve seen that situation all the time with higher ranked engineers and managers, but they really need to have serious leverage on the company to make them critical.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

LLSix posted:

If you've actually been doing development work, change the title on your resume to Software Developer and let your references know to talk up your technical leadership. You want your resume to emphasize relevant work experience. Just like you don't include the times you worked retail on a software engineer position you don't include management experience when applying to be an individual contributor and there's not much value in including individual contributor experience when applying to a management position.

I've never yet met a manager who also wrote good code, even if they used to before changing tracks; so I'll agree your title and maybe any management experience in your resume is likely working against you.

Don't get discouraged. Especially when trying to land your first remote job it is going to take some time.

Consider linking an anonymized resume here or in the newbie thread to get feedback.

In other words, your problem is people like this guy

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Steve French posted:

In other words, your problem is people like this guy

Not really. I prefer to extend people the benefit of the doubt. I've seen otherwise good developers lose their edge from spending all their time in meetings and managing schedules, but I've never seen anyone try to switch back to an IC role. I've no reason to think getting back into coding every day wouldn't sharpen their skills back up.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

RedZone posted:

I don't care about level, I'm more interested in total compensation. Looks like it's back to the drawing board (literally) to grind more algorithms then.

Level is going to highly correlate to total compensation unless your current compensation is higher than the offers or you have multiple offers that you can leverage.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

LLSix posted:

Just like you don't include the times you worked retail on a software engineer position you don't include management experience when applying to be an individual contributor and there's not much value in including individual contributor experience when applying to a management position.
this is bonkers, to mee

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

this is bonkers, to mee

My first couple of jobs dating back to before college was IT and website design. Nobody ever seemed even a little bit interested about that work experience when I was applying to embedded software positions so I took it out to put in more details from more recent jobs. Space on a resume is at a premium and you want to use that space as well as you can.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

LLSix posted:

My first couple of jobs dating back to before college was IT and website design. Nobody ever seemed even a little bit interested about that work experience when I was applying to embedded software positions so I took it out to put in more details from more recent jobs. Space on a resume is at a premium and you want to use that space as well as you can.
So because your IT internship 4+ years priors didn't get explicitly mentioned when you were after a wholly different job, they should strike any management experience including their current position? Is that the entirety of the basis for this advice?

I'm imagining a blushing executive trying to downplay being a director of software engineering to explain a resume gap and it's just farcical.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I feel like this is a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of situation. Either you have an employment gap because you had a job you didn't want to mention (imagine e.g. a furloughed government contractor getting a job as waitstaff at a restaurant), or you bias peoples' perceptions of what kind of job you are looking/suited for by having a job that doesn't match your long-term goals.

I guess what I'd recommend doing is having your precis at the top of the resume specifically say "I'm looking to get back into development after having worked as a TL/M" or something along those lines.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Maybe we can just put in a placeholder for those gigs saying you don’t think it’s relevant to the employer and that there’s a separate document if you’re interested? It’s not like we can do a hidden div with a display response to a mouse click on a paper document or even Word doc.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I guess what I'd recommend doing is having your precis at the top of the resume specifically say "I'm looking to get back into development after having worked as a TL/M" or something along those lines.
yeah you need some narrative/story around it, because the question will come up. "my last company promoted me based on a solid work history and interest in mgmt, but i didn't care for it and would consider myself most effective in an IC role" or whatever

but punching a hole in your history to cover up being a manager, based on a single engineer with less than a decade experience talking about an IT internship, is the most asinine thing ive seen in, gosh, like a week

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll try adding a profile line specifying the desire to return to a more technical role.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

LLSix posted:

Not really. I prefer to extend people the benefit of the doubt. I've seen otherwise good developers lose their edge from spending all their time in meetings and managing schedules, but I've never seen anyone try to switch back to an IC role. I've no reason to think getting back into coding every day wouldn't sharpen their skills back up.

Fair enough. I just did it (within same company); though I still regularly get recruiting pings about IC roles

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

runupon cracker posted:

Remote and management don't generally seem to mix well - my own experience is that remotely managing developers or (even worse) designers/UX folk is a living, endless hell of lovely Skype standups and lame excuses.

I had to switch from running my own company to proper employment about 4 years back because I had a child, got cancer and moved to a different hemisphere and it's hard to run a business under those circumstances - my own experience of a major job change like that is that you focus hard on getting into a place that has good lateral movement prospects within the company rather than focusing on getting your dream job. I've had 3 jobs in 4 years, and each is an improvement and gets me closer to my aims, but I've had to be pretty realistic, and leverage my previous job title to get one closer to what I need. I'm getting there now, but it's not exactly been easy, and it's not something you could keep on doing - more than 3-4 years of job jumping and you start looking like a flake.

Recruiters are horrors, but sell to them, and they'll work for you - persuade them you can fill that one tricky position then have (face to face is best, but on the phone works too) and they will actually put some effort in.

cynic fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 10, 2019

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My Seattle interview is delayed due to weather. As a Michigander, lol

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Hi, everyone!

I'm a senior software engineer with about 10 years of experience and I transitioned into a infrastructure/devops engineer role last year. I work in a ~major electronics company~ and wanted to contribute on an organizational level (plus the project team I transferred out of was toxic as hell and nearly killed me from overwork) by improving our best practices and processes. Nowadays I code occasionally, but our team is set to develop an in-house project this year so I'm pretty stoked on that. I also plan to get AWS certified this year (SysOps and Solutions Architect up to the Professional level)!

Well, I'm looking to increase my salary, as I was rather lowballed (I got the job after being 3 months unemployed because I had to get out of a bad situation in my previous job). I'm strongly considering looking for a job in Southeast Asia/Oceania (either NZ/SG/AU in that order) as I live in a rotten place where drug users are murdered while drug lords are pardoned.

My two ideas are:
1. Get a scholarship abroad to take up a master's degree in either computer science/software engineering.
2. Find a good job abroad in the same field, rake in the money AND maybe consider that postgraduate degree after I've settled in.

Personally, I dislike formal schooling but I do like learning, and it might be cool to crush it in uni after all the leveling up in life that I've been doing. I guess I just like to live a better life in general, and I prefer doing stuff on the ground than managing.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

You’re probably not going to find many (read: any) schools looking to pay for you to get a masters. Masters degrees are for people that either 1) want to pay for a resume/cv edge (whether for industry or to get into a better PhD program) or 2) are getting a PhD and the masters is just a thing that happens after a couple years in the program

Find a new job that will relocate you.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

You’re probably not going to find many (read: any) schools looking to pay for you to get a masters. Masters degrees are for people that either 1) want to pay for a resume/cv edge (whether for industry or to get into a better PhD program) or 2) are getting a PhD and the masters is just a thing that happens after a couple years in the program

Find a new job that will relocate you.

Isn't every Masters in CS paid for? I don't know a single person that paid for their degree. Regardless a masters in CS isnt worth it unless you need a masters for the area you want to work in.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Oh, I didn't clarify but I will be looking for a company that would help me relocate. I guess that is my biggest roadblock is getting to another country (and being allowed to stay), that's why I'm considering getting a scholarship abroad to open doors (I read that NZ gives you one year to look for work after graduating on a student visa).

I'm still 50/50 on postgrad, will I get paid more with a nicer degree in this field? It just feels extraneous in software engineering. Or maybe I should get an MBA instead? Hmm

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Schneider Heim posted:

I read that NZ gives you one year to look for work after graduating on a student visa

Hey friend, if you're thinking of coming here to work in the IT industry you should have a good look at the salary you can reasonably expect and compare to your local and other places in Oceania (Australia specifically). You should also read a bit about the housing situation in Auckland, since that is likely where you'll be working in this industry. Note that there is sort of a housing crisis at the moment, so you can expect a non-trivial portion of your salary to go towards rent.

Don't want to discourage you or anything, there are definitely plenty of jobs to be had in the industry but do your research first if you haven't already.

Largest NZ job sites (don't forget salaries and contract rates are in NZD):
NZ Seek
Trademe Jobs

Can also get a feel for rentals/flatmates on Trademe Property too.

Feel free to PM me questions as I'm a dev over here and I'll do my best to answer. There is a also a thread in D&D, our casual NZ thread got archived due to inactivity I believe so I don't think anyone will object to answering some NZ specific questions in there?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

asur posted:

Isn't every Masters in CS paid for?
Absolutely not. I had funded and non-funded offers to consider a couple of years ago. Ideally if it’s a non-funded offer you can find a way for an employer to pay for some or all of it, but that’s not always possible.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 12, 2019

Uhh Nope
May 20, 2016
Crossposting from the game developer job thread:

Uhh Nope posted:

Just got the results of my interview with Amazon Games Studios, said I needed to brush up on my C++ and that they would want me to try again in the summer. I'm not sure what exactly I was lacking since I felt like they were implying I could pick up the syntax stuff on the job and the whiteboard problems didn't rely on anything special that C++ could do vs, say, C#.

Anyways, how can I improve my C++ in a way meaningful to game development in general? I know about stuff like RAII, (N)RVO, smart pointers, I've been taking a Udemy course for C++ in UE4 but I can tell it's only really going to teach me how to use C++ in the scope of UE4, not more generally. I know I could just write some desktop app with the STL but I know lots of games don't even use the STL.

For reference, I've mainly worked with C# for the last 7 years.

Thanks!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Uhh Nope posted:

Crossposting from the game developer job thread:

Do you have any C++ code someone could look at? If so then having someone who knows C++ well look at your code is probably the first step

Uhh Nope
May 20, 2016

Jose Valasquez posted:

Do you have any C++ code someone could look at? If so then having someone who knows C++ well look at your code is probably the first step

I don't, unfortunately.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Solve HackerRank problems in C++?

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Remote job quest update

Nashville called and confirmed they have the green light to make an offer, and the amount for that offer is set, but recruiter won't share it until they receive proof of my current income.

I shared my current salary in my phone screen back in December, and I didn't lie, so I told him I couldn't share it - though I'd be happy to provide proof of employment. That was noon today and I haven't heard back, so we'll see how it goes.

Waiting to hear from Seattle about visiting when the city isn't shut down due to snow.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Careful Drums posted:

Nashville called and confirmed they have the green light to make an offer, and the amount for that offer is set, but recruiter won't share it until they receive proof of my current income.

lol what the gently caress

walk away, you do not want to work with these people

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

uncurable mlady posted:

lol what the gently caress

walk away, you do not want to work with these people

I wouldn't go that far - if they force me to turn it over then I'll walk but I'm willing to bet they'll cave. They've already bought me a round trip flight to Nashville and spent 6 developer hours interviewing me, this would be a dumb way to throw all that time and money away.

But anyway I like the Seattle company more and I'm hoping to get this offer as leverage for them.

Careful Drums fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 13, 2019

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Careful Drums posted:

but recruiter won't share it until they receive proof of my current income.

"Sure, just send me last years W-2's for the department and I'll get that right over."

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

"Sure, just send me last years W-2's for the department and I'll get that right over."

I’m in MA, so I’d go straight to: “are you aware of MA law as relates to asking candidates salary information; please confirm you are asking for my salary during negotiation”

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Is this an external recruiter? I smell something fishy vis-a-vis "the company wants this information." I might try and have a little phone conversation with, you know, the people you'd actually be working for/with and bring this up, ask if they're okay with this recruiter giving the company such a bad look.

edit: I forgot important word (external)

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 13, 2019

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Che Delilas posted:

Is this an external recruiter? I smell something fishy vis-a-vis "the company wants this information." I might try and have a little phone conversation with, you know, the people you'd actually be working for/with and bring this up, ask if they're okay with this recruiter giving the company such a bad look.

edit: I forgot important word (external)

He's an internal recruiter. That's a great point - it doesn't reflect well on the company, especially since his defense was that {the rich dudes that own this and several other companies} do this for all new hires. I happen to know that's bullshit because my wife and I both have worked for another one of these rich dudes companies in the past. So i'm 99% sure it's a bullshit tactic to lower their offer.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Going to Seattle Monday.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Uhh Nope posted:

I don't, unfortunately.

How did they evaluate your C++?
If it was whiteboarding you could throw a few similar leetcode.com problems on github

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Fuckin hell, Nashville walked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Careful Drums posted:

Fuckin hell, Nashville walked
lol