Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

The first book is a blatant Lord of the Rings rip-off in almost every way.

but that dude just said it was unique and subverted tropes!

which is it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Mel Mudkiper posted:

how

how

and before anyone goes "did you read it" yes I did read about a hundred pages of a boy in village dreaming of bigger things only to find out he has a special purpose from a wizard when his village was attacked by monsters it was the most cliche poo poo ever

The first book was literally meant to be a retread of Fellowship FYI, the major thing he changed was "what if male magic users were insane, how would that change society?"

Jordan was both innovative for his time and also a product of his time. He pushed things forward such that, now, his works seem backward and antiquated.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

if a book cannot justify its own existence in the first hundred pages the reader is under no obligation to continue

No one's saying you need to read the whole series, but you can't say "Yes I read it" if you read 1/7th of one book in a 14 book series.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Sab669 posted:

No one's saying you need to read the whole series, but you can't say "Yes I read it" if you read 1/7th of one book in a 14 book series.

why not

I read it

it sucked

I chose not to finish reading it

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Data Graham posted:

Also I am hereby enacting a lifetime ban, or perhaps cap, on fantasy authors using the word "bustle" to describe how an innkeeper moves about an inn
however it's the perfect word for the gait of a healthy and well-adjusted hen

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

if a book cannot justify its own existence in the first hundred pages the reader is under no obligation to continue

You sure seem to rage a lot about a book series you've read like 0.8% of.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You sure seem to rage a lot about a book series you've read like 0.8% of.

why finish a book you hate

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
maybe the next 40,000 pages are better

e: except for the 15,000 which are admitted even by fans to be a miserable slog

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

why not

I read it

it sucked

I chose not to finish reading it

Would you conclude a restaurant's entire menu is bad because they brought you stale bread before your actual meal?

You barely touched the surface. It's fine if you don't like it; I gave up on the first book twice before I managed to finish it. But it's unreasonable to say you gave the series a fair chance if you didn't even get a quarter of the way into the first book.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
A continuous multivolume series that starts badly is never going to get good three books in. An author who labours on the same series for that long has neither the time nor the opportunity for self-improvement.

I admire their stamina, though!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Would you conclude a restaurant's entire menu is bad because they brought you stale bread before your actual meal?

if a restaurant fucks up the bread why would I stick around to taste the entree

mewse
May 2, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake

They're back.

The Argue In Bad Faith Duo here to tell us we enjoy the wrong things.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
My faith in our Lord is not bad.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lol at abandoning even the slightest pretence of actual literary criticism.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At the same time you could just answer the question instead of reaching for reasons to avoid the question

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Mel: I am under no obligation to participate in conversation when I know in advance it’s pointless to engage

Also mel: answer me, you cretins

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

A continuous multivolume series that starts badly is never going to get good three books in. An author who labours on the same series for that long has neither the time nor the opportunity for self-improvement.

I admire their stamina, though!

Doesn’t Terry Brooks improve after Sword of Shannara?

I mean that’s just the rumor I heard, I wasn’t about to see for myself

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
horny jorbert

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Mel Mudkiper posted:

if a restaurant fucks up the bread why would I stick around to taste the entree

Is someone holding a gun to your head demanding that you post about a book you haven't read?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

RC Cola posted:

Is someone holding a gun to your head demanding that you post about a book you haven't read?

No, but they’re wearing a collar and master compels them to post.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
you sit down to the entree. the first ten bites taste like dogshit. there are 14 more courses coming.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

chernobyl kinsman posted:

you sit down to the entree. the first ten bites taste like dogshit. there are 14 more courses coming.

and after ten hours of you standing on a table shouting about how dumb we are for liking food we rather thought tasted pretty good, you wonder why everyone just yells at you to shut up and leave them to eat in peace.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

Lol at being that kid who sits at the back of the classroom playing with whiteout who turns in a book report on ethan frome which just reads "i read two pages and it sucked"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

To get back to the original point

How exactl6 did Eye of the World subvert tropes when others in this very thread have described it as a clone of Lord of the Rings

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Lol at being that kid who sits at the back of the classroom playing with whiteout who turns in a book report on ethan frome which just reads "i read two pages and it sucked"

The review is concise and honest, what's the problem

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

To get back to the original point

How exactl6 did Eye of the World subvert tropes when others in this very thread have described it as a clone of Lord of the Rings

RAFO

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

quote:

RAFO is a term Brandon Sanderson uses at signings as a non-answer for prying 17th Sharders. It means "Read and Find Out." When Brandon uses this, it is neutral, and neither means one is right or one is wrong. Many things are RAFO'd because they would spoil future books.
Robert Jordan popularized this term in this genre, and Brandon "inherited" it, so to speak. Brandon feels bad for simply stating "No, I won't answer.", so he has the RAFO cards made physically. Instead of saying it, he hand out the cards to the fans.

Lol that an entire fanbase has been so used to being dismissed by the author for any form of critical engagement that they are happy to be given a card that dehumanizes them for critical thought

I have come to understand this thread better, thank you.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

No you see, he literally gives his fans a printed card because he respects them to much to actually engage with them

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mel has figured out brandon's problem: refusal to engage with fans

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

What other answer are you even expecting? You're not going to read the book and you already dismissed one response of someone replying to you by pulling two sentences out of five paragraphs.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Data Graham posted:

Doesn’t Terry Brooks improve after Sword of Shannara?

I mean that’s just the rumor I heard, I wasn’t about to see for myself

Look into your heart and you will know the answer.

It's "yes, most gallantly!"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The Ninth Layer posted:

What other answer are you even expecting? You're not going to read the book and you already dismissed one response of someone replying to you by pulling two sentences out of five paragraphs.

they've both posted dozens of times in this thread and probably spent long enough on it alone that they could've read a single novel - they're not looking for answers

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i'm looking for answers but i don't know the questions

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

eke out posted:

they've both posted dozens of times in this thread and probably spent long enough on it alone that they could've read a single novel - they're not looking for answers

There was a big interesting discussion in the bonfire yesterday about a topic that got run out of this thread.

Maybe the problem is not us asking questions but how loathe you are to answer

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

The Ninth Layer posted:

If you look at any of Mel's posts in this thread there is nothing constructive.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There was a big interesting discussion in the bonfire yesterday about a topic that got run out of this thread.

Maybe the problem is not us asking questions but how loathe you are to answer

Except you did get answered, you got six paragraphs that you replied to with two words and a smug declaration that your time was too valuable to spend reading such dreck.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So actually on topic, I'm inching forward with Steelheart. I definitely wish David would stop with his bad inner monologue commentary. But they met up with Diamond [and Nightwielder] which was pretty cool.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 8, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The Ninth Layer posted:

Except you did get answered, you got six paragraphs that you replied to with two words and a smug declaration that your time was too valuable to spend reading such dreck.

Gonna be totally honest, I dont know what post you are referring to

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

why finish a book you hate

gonna xpost this to bonfire :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

gonna xpost this to bonfire :smug:

awesome please do