Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Has anyone died to regular zombies?

Sure, lots of times really. They can be tricky sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the worst is when zombies tag team you now, which really takes a chunk out

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011

In Training posted:

Also I know it got posted not too long ago but does somebody have that cheat sheet PNG on hand. I forgot to save/bookmark it and it's hard to search for.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
e:fb

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Probably just loving up cause I'm trying to do stuff fast I think, making mistakes I didn't in standard. I alternated between killing them and running past them in my various playthroughs and very rarely got grabbed at all so was wondering if there are actual behavioral differences on hardcore or something. The long run up to that point cause of limited saves probably makes me play worse as well. Hopefully it gets easier with practice.

Vakal posted:

If they don't feel like playing nice, just set them on fire with something. They will still grab you but the fire damage over time will make them let you go.

I must have had something wonky happening cause in that example I posted the fucker just didn't get set on fire at all like it usually would and has done for me in my other playthroughs. It just kinda... ignored it.

Cheers for the advice anyway, I'll keep plugging away. Hopefully get it soon.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

In Training posted:

Also I know it got posted not too long ago but does somebody have that cheat sheet PNG on hand. I forgot to save/bookmark it and it's hard to search for.

e: f, b by a shitton

Cheat sheet + text solution for that circuit puzzle

A B C D on the vertical axis, top to bottom, and 1 2 3 4 on the horizontal.

Claire Electronic Puzzle Scenario A - A3, B1, D2, C3, C3, C3, C4
Claire Electronic Puzzle Scenario B - B1, C3, C4, C4, D4, D2, B4, B3, A2, B3, B3,
Leon Electronic Puzzle Scenario A - A2, A3, A3, B3, B3, B3, B4, C4, C3, C3, D3, D2, D1
Leon Electronic Puzzle Scenario B - D3, C3, A3, B2, C2, C2, C2, D2, C1, A1

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

I mean I guess technically it was the licker that killed me but I managed to die once to an ankle bite after a licker took me down to danger with a jumping slash right when I was running past a crawling zombie. Otherwise no, but I also haven’t played on Hardcore.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

:cheers: Thank you all! Getting started my Leon S+, I can't wait to annihilate this game with a infinite rocket launche r

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Good soup! posted:

A medieval resident evil sounds dope but everyone would be like "oh it's mostly melee, isn't that just devil may cry"

I say screw that, navigating a castle like the Spencer Mansion and trying to seal away the plagas and stabbing and chopping up zombies sounds cool and could be really tense at times

This is just onimusha

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Until looking at the chart of damage, I didn't know the Ivy zombies just instantly killed you. I had been killed by one before, but I'd been in caution status and just figured they did a ton of damage.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Good soup! posted:

A medieval resident evil sounds dope but everyone would be like "oh it's mostly melee, isn't that just devil may cry"

I say screw that, navigating a castle like the Spencer Mansion and trying to seal away the plagas and stabbing and chopping up zombies sounds cool and could be really tense at times

You could just have your character be an eccentric inventor ala Sleepyhollow and have him invent some sort of primitive crossbow/flintlock pistol and have him create more absurd weaponry latter on. It could work.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

I found them the biggest threat in hardcore

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
After learning about all the different kinds of arrowheads people used in the Middle Ages during wartime, I've thought that you could probably get a pretty decent action game out of arrow-swapping for the situation. You could totally be an archer fighting off zombies with a knife or axe for close-quarters work.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Going from Leon A to Claire B is kicking my rear end. Zombies just will not stay down.

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along
Why does Claire have an SAA in 45?

Why? What am odd choice for a fun to put in a zombie game set in 1999.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The start is a lot more hectic with the Quickdraw’s reload speed and no chest in the main hall but the grenade launcher Claire gets is really good against lickers and other large enemies.

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

It’s the alternate gun she was able to get in the original RE2.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If you're not overdubbing Revolver Ocelot lines onto cutscenes while playing Claire B I don't know what to tell you.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

It’s pretty odd for her to have a j-frame revolver chambered in 9mm, too. They’re out there, but it’s not a common combination by any stretch.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Looking at this, is it true that if you're trying to kill a zombie, headshots and body shots are equally effective? I feel like I'm missing about a third of the time when I go for the head and maybe a quarter of the time when I go for their legs. The torso would be a lot easier to hit.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Anonymous Robot posted:

It’s pretty odd for her to have a j-frame revolver chambered in 9mm, too. They’re out there, but it’s not a common combination by any stretch.

This is something I got second-hand, but up until the 2002 REmake or so, there must have been a bunch of serious loving gun nerds on the RE dev team, because a lot of the firearms are unnecessarily obscure makes and models, just because they looked cool or were in a movie or something.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

What makes it strange? I know nothing about guns so I don't get why it's out of place.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Randallteal posted:

Looking at this, is it true that if you're trying to kill a zombie, headshots and body shots are equally effective? I feel like I'm missing about a third of the time when I go for the head and maybe a quarter of the time when I go for their legs. The torso would be a lot easier to hit.

I believe if you're not confident you can hit the head, body shots are a better choice, since all Headshots seem to do is give a small chance you instantly kill them with a head explosion.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's way easier to headshot a zombie if you've already put them to the floor.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Wanderer posted:

This is something I got second-hand, but up until the 2002 REmake or so, there must have been a bunch of serious loving gun nerds on the RE dev team, because a lot of the firearms are unnecessarily obscure makes and models, just because they looked cool or were in a movie or something.

Resident Evil was the video game series that got me into guns, mainly because they had actual product names attached to them at the beginning of the series and the models were really well done, right down to the animations and sound design. Sure you had guns in Silent Hill but they were so anemic, the shotgun in SH1 made such a lame sound compared to the large *BLAM* that the fully upgraded M1100 made in RE2.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I got this compulsive thing where I always pan the camera around cinematically and pretty much every time I get on a ladder I make myself start going the wrong way halfway through. gently caress

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tried to absent-minded sprint through the 4th survivor and jesus the parking lot. I went from full to dead without being able to bring up the inventory. :stare:

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I'm assuming that don't use actual product names for guns due to money/licensing issues..?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

If you heal while trenchy is about to death grab you, you'll still die, even with the blue shield. All cause I wanted my knife back from this zombie bitch. gently caress

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Yaws posted:

I'm assuming that don't use actual product names for guns due to money/licensing issues..?

Yep. In the US you have to license if you use a copyrighted name like Desert Eagle or Colt Python or Beretta 92FS.

Most military stuff isn't copyrighted so that's why you'll see M14, M1 Garand, 1911, etc. alongside fudged names like "deagle" and "lightning hawk".

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just started adas section again.
Gf: why are you this trashy lady all of a sudden?
Me: she's Ada. The secret agent
Gf: is she secretly a prostitute?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Oh hell yes. TBF, it's usually due to me trying to be too cute though; stretch out a run between saves, trying to dash by like the original game or ignoring my back and getting ganged up on.

Leavemywife posted:

Until looking at the chart of damage, I didn't know the Ivy zombies just instantly killed you. I had been killed by one before, but I'd been in caution status and just figured they did a ton of damage.

This, however, I simply do not get. I found them the easiest enemy in the game. Easier than the dogs even.

One word: "fire"

I "spritz" their legs/feet and watch them burn until they drop then spritz them some more until they turn black. No idea if aiming low makes a difference in how long they burn but it made intuitive sense and seemed to work since the flames seemed to rise up their bodies once they caught fire.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh hell yes. TBF, it's usually due to me trying to be too cute though; stretch out a run between saves, trying to dash by like the original game or ignoring my back and getting ganged up on.

This, however, I simply do not get. I found them the easiest enemy in the game. Easier than the dogs even.

One word: "fire"

I "spritz" their legs/feet and watch them burn until they drop then spritz them some more until they turn black. No idea if aiming low makes a difference in how long they burn but it made intuitive sense and seemed to work since the flames seemed to rise up their bodies once they caught fire.

I was Claire, without any flame rounds, and I made a bad dodging decision. I'd just used my last grenade on another Ivy.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Randallteal posted:

headshot criticals explode heads so i think going for a headshot is still worthwhile if you aren't taking out the legs instead. if the choice is head or body i assume that the head shot is always better just for the rng, but for some reason head has a way higher stagger point than legs. i do not know if thats true of the body as well since i very rarely make bodyshots outside of something that doesnt get critical damage.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

It's my first time ever playing Claire and I made it to NEST and I was just wondering if I bypassed the giant alligator encounter, or if that is Leon only. I rushed through the sewers without exploring and I was wondering if I missed a lot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Upmarket Mango posted:

It's my first time ever playing Claire and I made it to NEST and I was just wondering if I bypassed the giant alligator encounter, or if that is Leon only. I rushed through the sewers without exploring and I was wondering if I missed a lot.

That is Leon only. Similarly the orphanage is Claire only.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I'm replaying RE4 and am I wrong or are the Magnums just a huge money trap? It seems like I can buy a goddamn rocket launcher whenever the hell I want and they cost 30k a pop. Just upgrading the Butterfly once cost 25k and it still couldn't finish Verdugo before resorting to tmp and rifle shots. Plus the rifle has more common ammo, is a RIFLE, and its exclusive raises its damage to 30.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Upmarket Mango posted:

Leon only, but Claire gets to see a plush version

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Leavemywife posted:

I was Claire, without any flame rounds, and I made a bad dodging decision. I'd just used my last grenade on another Ivy.

If you've got handgun ammo still you can knock them down pretty easily by targeting the orange bulbs on their bodies. Fire is the only way to permanently kill them but they seem to stay down for a pretty long time if you drop them that way.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Perfect Potato posted:

I'm replaying RE4 and am I wrong or are the Magnums just a huge money trap? It seems like I can buy a goddamn rocket launcher whenever the hell I want and they cost 30k a pop. Just upgrading the Butterfly once cost 25k and it still couldn't finish Verdugo before resorting to tmp and rifle shots. Plus the rifle has more common ammo, is a RIFLE, and its exclusive raises its damage to 30.

you may or may not have noticed, but upgrading your ammunition reloads your gun. magnum upgrades are expensive but its like you're spending for a full chamber refill.

edit: and one of the magnums you find during a boss fight, so yes that on is a huge trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Am I crazy or are the sewers way harder during Claire B than Leon A?