Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Solumin posted:

This level felt kind of empty. I mean, sure, there was that puzzle and a couple collectibles, but it was filler.

After walking through non-stop tunnels and caves, this city is a very refreshing change of pace. Trust me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The level sort of dragged on after a while, but I do have to say the opening of it is kind of a neat storytelling thing. From the perspective of Mark, you've had the shittiest day possible and you just want to get back. But.... the city is now openly wrecked and eerily abandoned.

The parking ticket puzzle makes no sense to me on any level, though. It only activates when you've already got the ticket? And when it starts up and moves, it is 100% obvious there's no one in there. So.... the person is supposed to remove the parking ticket they just placed then....? How is that device useful in any fashion?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

SSNeoman posted:

I believe the key is in the boxes in the radio tower. It lasts for 5 mins cause there is a lotta weird poo poo to look at in the trap door room
Ah, something to do for 'previously'

Solumin posted:

Also, SelenicMartian, did you get a new recording setup or something?
Actually, I did! Just didn't have much time to record again.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Keldulas posted:

The level sort of dragged on after a while, but I do have to say the opening of it is kind of a neat storytelling thing. From the perspective of Mark, you've had the shittiest day possible and you just want to get back. But.... the city is now openly wrecked and eerily abandoned.

The parking ticket puzzle makes no sense to me on any level, though. It only activates when you've already got the ticket? And when it starts up and moves, it is 100% obvious there's no one in there. So.... the person is supposed to remove the parking ticket they just placed then....? How is that device useful in any fashion?

Engineers! Solving the wrong problem correctly and to the hilt.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
A sequel to this game set in a post-apocalyptic world sounds amazing to be honest.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

EasilyConfused posted:

A sequel to this game set in a post-apocalyptic world sounds amazing to be honest.
I'm pretty sure CNPP is not meant to look like that.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Barkeep has let the 100 Rads bar fall into disrepair, meanwhile Monolith's Brain Scorcher is on the fritz and Freedom have started growing hallucinogenic mushrooms.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Zeniel posted:

Barkeep has let the 100 Rads bar fall into disrepair, meanwhile Monolith's Brain Scorcher is on the fritz and Freedom have started growing hallucinogenic mushrooms.

So, business as usual?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The secret basement in the wasteland has a lot of creepy notes half-written in code, but I didn't bother to start translating any of that stuff.

Gimme.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Oh. Well as a matter of fact, I did record a video of that. I also recorded a video of what happens if you did phone Osmo Olut and and get a shipment of beer. I'll see about posting those soonish.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I've also recorded the wasteland bunker. No beer, though.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Just finished watching my way through this. Thanks for playing it so that I never have to, because it looks like a few interesting things wrapped in a lot of tedious bullshit.

The one thing I was surprised you didn't comment on was that back in the Central Metro Station, one of the passengers murdered as part of a cover-up killed in the tragic accident was apparently a bear.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

30/ I'm supposed to go WHERE now?

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

I'm just so glad that Mark's experience with infrastructure wasn't unique, just most extreme of the bunch.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Same. I thought it was some awfully contrived writing with how everyone's so blase about Mark's return and then immediately asking him to do more poo poo, but it does make sense if everyone else has had similar experiences. I was half expecting the room to be empty because it's past closing time and the next level being Mark just going home, or finding his way to the nearest pub.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

NHO posted:

I'm just so glad that Mark's experience with infrastructure wasn't unique, just most extreme of the bunch.
Well, nobody else ran into Robin.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Turns out of you die in The Matrix the post-apocalyptic hallucination you don't actually die in the real world. You're just stuck there forever until Chronos lets you out.

Also it was nice of that person to come retrieve your car, then leave it in a slowly flooding garage. Speaking of the car, even though you could probably fit everyone still waiting in the office in it they urgently need you to drive on ahead, alone, while they wait for a helicopter and just sit there watching the Emergency Broadcast System. Super important. If only one of them could've come with us maybe we could've moved that lone wooden barricade out of our way.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The dam collapsing actually does help hand-wave away why the city is abandoned.

It was really great how the rest of the inspectors also had really lovely experiences. Especially that guy asking WTF was up with all the teddy bears. I also like that they found some secret documents as well. Being told about the super-flashlight at this point in the game is epic-level trolling by the developer.

In the room with all the drawers next to the mini-train, you might notice there's a single drawer on the top of the cabinet. There's a pistol in it. You can't take it, though. That reminds me that in the first level, there's a janitors closet on the 7th or 8th floor and if you mantle onto an object you can find a submachinegun in a box on the top shelf. You can't do anything with that either.

Here thread, have a bonus video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9HNJBpa2sM

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Turns out of you die in The Matrix the post-apocalyptic hallucination you don't actually die in the real world. You're just stuck there forever until Chronos lets you out.

Also it was nice of that person to come retrieve your car, then leave it in a slowly flooding garage. Speaking of the car, even though you could probably fit everyone still waiting in the office in it they urgently need you to drive on ahead, alone, while they wait for a helicopter and just sit there watching the Emergency Broadcast System. Super important. If only one of them could've come with us maybe we could've moved that lone wooden barricade out of our way.

Ehhh... it can be kinda justified in that not sending everyone in the same vehicle in case something happens is not unreasonable.

SelenicMartian posted:

Next Time, Mark tries to overtake a helicopter by walking.

Considering that he almost succeeds, the guys at the office probably weren't kidding about it taking a while for the thing to arrive, and it possibly being faster to go ahead by car (in theory).

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 12, 2019

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Being told about the super-flashlight at this point in the game is epic-level trolling by the developer.

The fact they didn't bother upgrading your camera at the same time is a massive dick move.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I was thinking while watching the video that this game would be mostly playable, even enjoyable, if you modded out batteries entirely and just made both the items last forever. Then the game goes and agrees with me, but over a dozen hours too late.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Another Earth on the other side of the Sun has been a theory since Pythagorean times, and while something could feasibly be at the L3 Lagrange point, an entire planet would have to perturb the orbits of the other bodies in the system, and, notably, our space probes. Also worth noting, the Greek antichthonic, referring to this Counter-Earth, is sometimes thrown around as an adjective to describe all this spooky bullshit.

The rails still working in a city-wide blackout makes a kind of sense, if you think about the corruption needed to build the SNW bunker. Those involved would have wanted to be able to evacuate to it, so keeping the rail system online in an emergency would have been a necessary plan.

I do not like puzzles that revolve around realizing you left something you needed behind and un-solving the puzzle to get back to them. It's okay if you're given all the information up front, like the river-crossing puzzle where you have a chicken, a cabbage, and a fox and only room in your boat for you and one other thing. But failing to read the developer's mind should never be a failure condition.

Wouldn't you need some tranquilizers if you had to deal with half the poo poo Mark had?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Boy, I never found that super special room in the... um, tea place? Otherworld? I don't think even more plot would have helped at this juncture, but you still have to admire the boundless energy of these developers to stuff all of these aspects here. It still can't really be seen as "good"; I mean, cute allusions to even yet more plot beyond the government conspiracy and Walter's place in it that you additionally might have to decode... it just seems a bit much, even for a joke. (Especially since they have a much better joke in the upgraded flashlight. I found that genuinely funny.)

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
The tranquilizers were there because Mark's boss anticipated his reaction to finding out about the new flashlight.

Also, Mark forgot about the beer competition, but he was the one who came up with the idea in the first place?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Nice. Much like the dock tea, it's an optional thing from act 1 paying off in act 3.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Sandman posted:

The tranquilizers were there because Mark's boss anticipated his reaction to finding out about the new flashlight.

Also, Mark forgot about the beer competition, but he was the one who came up with the idea in the first place?

Having people buy you beer is its own reward.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Here are the decoded notes for those interested: https://stalburg.arctar.us/Wasteland_notes

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I was thinking, the next part gotta have a lot of flashlight batteries sitting around just to troll the player.

...Except if it doesn't, because they explicitly wanted to troll those who didn't take the new flashlight.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Holy poo poo, I forgot there were characters other than Mark, his useless boss, and Robin.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

While it would have been nice to hear from the rest of them from time to time the game is horrifying enough without learning about your co-worker's crushed leg. Imagine if they had to hear about it every time Mark stepped on an electrified rail or inhaled mushroom poison.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm really glad Mark's coworkers all had horror stories. It helps enforce the suspension of disbelief for me: they're all actually civil engineer Terminators, risking life and limb to inspect and repair the crumbling metropolis, while dealing with corruption, mushrooms and Teddy bears. Sure, Mark's had the worst day by far (e.g. caught in an exploding power plant) but it could have happened to any of them, and they all would have survived it.

It's like playing a James Bond game and talking to the other 00 agents about their top secret, globetrotting missions.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
It's even got Q's new flashlight.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Solumin posted:

It's like playing a James Bond game and talking to the other 00 agents about their top secret, globetrotting missions.

Meeting a new face every other day!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Solumin posted:

I'm really glad Mark's coworkers all had horror stories. It helps enforce the suspension of disbelief for me: they're all actually civil engineer Terminators, risking life and limb to inspect and repair thge crumbling metropolis, while dealing with corruption, mushrooms and Teddy bears. Sure, Mark's had the worst day by far (e.g. caught in an exploding power plant) but it could have happened to any of them, and they all would have survived it.

Maybe we were The Engineer all along

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Solumin posted:

I'm really glad Mark's coworkers all had horror stories. It helps enforce the suspension of disbelief for me: they're all actually civil engineer Terminators, risking life and limb to inspect and repair the crumbling metropolis, while dealing with corruption, mushrooms and Teddy bears. Sure, Mark's had the worst day by far (e.g. caught in an exploding power plant) but it could have happened to any of them, and they all would have survived it.

I think no, they wouldn't - see broken leg.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

NHO posted:

I think no, they wouldn't - see broken leg.

That dude pried a flood door open by himself and got himself to safety with a broken leg. I'd say he survived more than anyone else. Mark would have just immediately died like he does falling off a 6 foot ledge.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
They each have a different power. We're playing as the guy who can consume anything, however hallucinogenic, not the person who can swim.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Also counting.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

31/ Doesn't an indoor shithouse defeat the purpose of a shithouse?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

...:what:

Just to repeat myself to avoid empty posting, what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Mark's kind of a dick to the homeless, and probably deserves whatever happens with bottles and coins.