Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

5 is absolutely phenomenal in Co-Op and has my second most hours logged in the franchise because of that, and is otherwise a step down from RE4 but still has some really good (and crazy racist) parts. RE6 is a mixed bag but if you play in Co-Op its a mixed bag with a buddy instead if a mixed bag while you wonder why the gently caress every mission is an hour long or more.

Dead Aim and Survivor and Umbrella Corps just suck. Theyre so so so bad and have nothing going on to save them except maybe the virus giving a man some high heels and electro tits.

Resident Evil: Gaiden sucks to play but was an interesting twist on the gameplay they never bothered to do again or correctly that for years was the only reason some people were able to accept RE4 Leon.

Resident Evil Outbreak 1+2 and Operation Raccoon City are two different flawed attempts to make Co-Op Dungeon Running Resident Evil work. Since its night impossible to get the people together to play these now, just skip them as they arent good single player.

Resident Evil Revelations 1+2 are off brand experiences, feeling a bit like a made for TV limited series in quality. They dont play like each ither that much and Revelations 2 has very interesting coop, but hope whoever isnt stuck on "no gun" duty doesnt mind.

Umbrella Chronicles are Dead Aim and Survivor done right, which means theyre serviceable rail shooters that feature some alternate versions of the other games and some bonus backstory for events that werent covered in main titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Wait...this game has explosive barrels? Fuuuccckkk.

Just when William lights the power room on fire, not for you :(

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Lunethex posted:

I don't watch Speedruns and this might be common knowledge now, but I figured out that if you stand in this spot when facing off against Birkin #2, just before opening the Sewer door for Ada/Sherry, then he can never hit you. He always attacks the same spot shown in this pic. Might help people if they hate this part. And they should hate it. If you don't exploit it, you're guaranteed to take damage. It's probably the worst part in a game full of otherwise good design.

You just have to watch for the dust /dirt falling from the ceiling JUST LIKE IN THE ORIGINAL YOU SCHMUCKS.

Re5 =good, even single player. I'll not have another word against it

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?
Quick question: Would you recommend the original OST or the new one for the first playthrough?
I never played RE2 before, because I never owned an PS, but I loved RE1 Remake and RE4 on the gamecube.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

codo27 posted:

Re5 =good, even single player. I'll not have another word against it

Yep, just not as good as 4. More hilarious on NG+ though cause Sheva can never miss and an infinitr ammo magnum means shell never try to conserve ammo and frankly the game plays itself at that point.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

wilbur.walsh posted:

Quick question: Would you recommend the original OST or the new one for the first playthrough?
I never played RE2 before, because I never owned an PS, but I loved RE1 Remake and RE4 on the gamecube.

normal (remake) OST at first. then you can use the old ones later on.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Outbreak rules even in single player.

I still would like a remake tho.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I genuinely felt bad when alternate Leon gets murdered, although up until that moment I was convinced the plot of RE6 was going to be a ripoff of MGS2 and it would turn out Leon's campaign was setup to create a copy of thr ultimate soldier, Leon Kennedy that only got disrupted by the arrival of the real Leon Kennedy.

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along
The Magnum is very handy for popping eyes on G mutants and Big Willie B.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ada, being a grizzled secret agent and all, wouldn't it be funny if she shouted at X, "This is sexual harassment!". I often say this at the TV myself when being chased

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hungry posted:

REmake 2 is making me want to go play all the other RE games I've semi-ignored since 4. What are the absolute must-avoids?

5 is 4 but your friend is there and it's kind of worse but still fun, but this thread is the only place on the planet people will tell you to play 6. They are insane

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I love how theres not a fuckin lick to be found on those uber Hunks besides loving video cassettes. And when you think about it, why is there less of everything in the zombie apocalypse? Zombies ain't using guns and ammo. Certainly not herbs and sprays. Shouldn't there be a huge abundance of that poo poo?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

codo27 posted:

I love how theres not a fuckin lick to be found on those uber Hunks besides loving video cassettes. And when you think about it, why is there less of everything in the zombie apocalypse? Zombies ain't using guns and ammo. Certainly not herbs and sprays. Shouldn't there be a huge abundance of that poo poo?

all of it was picked up by the Ghost Survivor guy prob

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

codo27 posted:

Because the guys who died before you arrived used it all up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

codo27 posted:

The bulk of the game takes place in the police station which was home to police and survivors for a good long time before you got there. Most of the resources were used up by them The orphanage isn't exactly going to be swimming with handgun ammo. The gun store was obviously already looted.. The sewers and labs don't have an overabundance of ammunition because why would they?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Perhaps people have guns in sewers because they want to shoot the poo poo???

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Pomp posted:

5 is 4 but your friend is there and it's kind of worse but still fun, but this thread is the only place on the planet people will tell you to play 6. They are insane

People liked 6 because it has some fun melee stuff you can do but the boss battles are exhausting poo poo and most of the campaign stuff isn't even remotely interesting. Zero percent of it is quotable like RE 4+5 were and when the missions get bad, they're insufferable. RE6 could have killed the franchise with how loving boring it gets, it could have been called literally anything; the only Resident Evil related poo poo in there are the names of the characters but even Leon is unrecognizable in how he looks or acts.

Rev1+2 are just inoffensively boring and budget-level games but they're fine. They feel floaty and lovely mechanically and character switching in Rev2 was tedious af to find items but they're....ok. The jump from Rev2 to RE7 is some cosmic poo poo. Maybe that's being harsh but when REmake2 exists the gulf of quality is even more evident.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
After 4 Capcom basically stopped giving a gently caress entirely until 7. RE was just a safe money spinner for them until being relentlessly poo poo for nearly a decade solid was starting to cost them in the longer term

They adopt this attitude a bit too often, it happened with Dead Rising, Street Fighter & Mega Man, and was starting to happen with Monster Hunter 4th gen too. We were lucky some dude higher up in the hierarchy at Capcom was able to push RE7 and MHW through and press the reset button on everything.

Now they just have to rethink the rest

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Revelations 2 is awesome and it's a great game to play with a friend /partner who doesn't play shooters or horror games much. The co-op partner has a different set of mechanics and the shooting is relegated to player one, so if they're not really a shooter games type person then they are perfect to play it with. It plays very differently to the rest of the games in the series I wish they had stuck with because it has a Dodge move and Dodge moves are always very good.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Lunethex posted:

I don't watch Speedruns and this might be common knowledge now, but I figured out that if you stand in this spot when facing off against Birkin #2, just before opening the Sewer door for Ada/Sherry, then he can never hit you. He always attacks the same spot shown in this pic. Might help people if they hate this part. And they should hate it. If you don't exploit it, you're guaranteed to take damage. It's probably the worst part in a game full of otherwise good design.

Other speedruns I've watch just throw a grenade at the base of shuttered door once the first claw comes out. I guess G2 spawns behind it as soon as the fight starts and the grenade aoe damage can hurt him through the door and instantly triggers the next phase of him breaking through the door.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If you’re quick you can shoot G2’s hand to shorten this phase as well.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

SettingSun posted:

If you’re quick you can shoot G2’s hand to shorten this phase as well.

Also any damage you do to him once he breaks down the door counts towards the crane platform, so you can pop his eyes a couple of time and hopefully get his health low enough that crane will knock him off the platform in one go.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Must say I love having to burn a GRB because I'm an idiot and didn't manage my inventory correctly going into the king/queen plug area. I really need to keep a fuckin notebook.

I already died once after having completed that, and the first time wasn't bad. Second time? What a breeze through the Gs. I did get grabbed twice and have to burn both my nades at the first one, but one mag shot popped his eyepimple after that. Easily ran past the rest, the way back was easiest of all. Thankfully I didn't panic and backstepped and dodged the hand of the last one before the ladder. So all that section cost me was 2 nades and a single mag shot.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If a zombie is chowing down on you X will just let it happen.

He's interrupted them for me before, it can happen

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have also had this happen https://clips.twitch.tv/MuddyCallousHabaneroArsonNoSexy It doesn't pop on the capture but this triggered the "Shoot a Licker out of the Air" achievement. Lots of weird little interactions in this game

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The second Big Willy fight on the crane is ridiculously easy.

Avoid the ceiling dust, pop him when he comes in the room with a grenade, flashbang, or acid shell, run to the crane, stun, crane, shoot him, run past away from the button, shoot him, run past toward the button, hit button, stun, wait.

G3 is SILLY easy with Leon. The flamethrower will kill the salad zombies with 10 fuel so you should have 300 to 700 fuel depending on if you grabbed the second canister. Just hose him down like 5 times and maybe pop him with the magnum once or twice while he's trying to throw something at you. 200 fuel and 2 magnum rounds will gently caress him up really quick.

Never tried the knife thing on G1 but that's apparently the way to go.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The flamethrower will kill the salad zombies with 10 fuel

Oh you're the one who said this before. This just isn't true, unless you have a video to show your technique. Even when I pop them onto the ground with bulb shots and then torch them it still takes like 30 just to finish them off in the downed state. 10 just can't be real

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Nobody is bringing up RE0. I swear no one played that game.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Unless you're speedrunning or something it didn't seem like the flamethrower was totally necessary to deal with the plant guys, since you could shoot one of their bulbs and run past them. No reason to use the ammo if you're trying to save as much as possible.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

Oh you're the one who said this before. This just isn't true, unless you have a video to show your technique. Even when I pop them onto the ground with bulb shots and then torch them it still takes like 30 just to finish them off in the downed state. 10 just can't be real

Tis true. Use short controlled puffs and wait for the fire to go out before doing it again. The flame does constant damage without you spraying it.

If you hit them center mass and they catch fire it never takes more than 12 fuel, max.

sponges posted:

I did. It was ultra meh.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

sponges posted:

It is vaguely a main-line title even if its so mediocre everyone forgets it exists, much like the rest of the timeline forgets it exists.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

0 is better than 5 or 6 I think. It's more unique at least.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I'll have to load a savegame and try it but 10 fuel seems more than reasonable enough, at least on Standard which is all I've done because I'm a pleb. Just tap the trigger for a 2 fuel burst and watch 'em writhe around. Tap again when they stop burning. Repeat until they flare up and turn black.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Trying to save time so I dont wanna gently caress around seeing I've already done this twice, but I cant make any sense of the chess plug layout. The pawn and knight are still on opposite walls? So I dont get it. (B)

e: I got it. Not assuming the note on the table is the same as last time helps.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 9, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I never noticed it before but the solution from Route A->B for the chemical solution is just RGB forever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

codo27 posted:

Trying to save time so I dont wanna gently caress around seeing I've already done this twice, but I cant make any sense of the chess plug layout. The pawn and knight are still on opposite walls? So I dont get it. (B)

Yeah the diagram is completely useless without labeling where the door is supposed to be, but the way I read it when I glance at it now is this: The Knight plug slot is in the same place on both A and B, so top left on both A and B is the Knight plug slot and below the bottom left is the door.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

codo27 posted:

From left to right on the side with the pawn label: knight left, rook center, pawn right (where label is)

From left to right on the other side where left is where the door is: queen left, bishop center, king right

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

CJacobs posted:

Yeah the diagram is completely useless without labeling where the door is supposed to be, but the way I read it when I glance at it now is this: The Knight plug slot is in the same place on both A and B, so top left is the Knight plug slot and below the bottom left is the door.

The knight specifically is not in the same place. It's label is incorrect on the B / 2nd run puzzles. The pawn label is always the correct place for the pawn.

Edit: wait you meant what is labelled on the puzzle jpg. That puzzle jpg always starts at the knight label and what is across from it. So far right of door

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 9, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MagusDraco posted:

The knight specifically is not in the same place. It's label is incorrect on the B / 2nd run puzzles. The pawn label is always the correct place for the pawn.

Yes, that's why I said the slot. But you're right, the pawn is better for orienting yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

sponges posted:

Because it's really bad.