Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I washed my car properly today for the first time in 12 months (annual MOT test wash). I even did the wheels. Then I went out and around 2 miles from home I had to pull over onto the verge for a bus on a narrow road. Of course the gravel passing place was full of parked cars so I had to go onto some grass next to it - where i got totally stuck and sprayed mud all over the car again whilst fighting to get it back out.

I had to roll it back and forth and wiggle the wheels left and right to get it out so I even have mud on the roof :(

Queen Combat posted:

I'm seriously just going to throw them away. I can't even be arsed to donate poo poo like this anymore and I don't know if that's a problem with my brain (probably), or what society has taught me over the last decade of convenience.

Over here there are clothing donation bins in loads of supermarket car parks which are a nice painless and easy way of dropping off clothes. They are all provided by charities and they resell anything they can and the rest gets recycled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Tomarse posted:

Over here there are clothing donation bins in loads of supermarket car parks which are a nice painless and easy way of dropping off clothes. They are all provided by charities and they resell anything they can and the rest gets recycled.

Where is "here"? Because, surprise, most of those are 1: unsolicited nuisances that are there without business permission, and 2: not actually charities, but charity fronts for companies that pick and sell the good clothes, and shred and sell the rest as filler :ssh:

The world is terrible :smith:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Queen Combat posted:

Where is "here"? Because, surprise, most of those are 1: unsolicited nuisances that are there without business permission, and 2: not actually charities, but charity fronts for companies that pick and sell the good clothes, and shred and sell the rest as filler :ssh:

Don't forget the ones that send all the clothes to Africa, which completely destroys their local garment industry.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Queen Combat posted:

I'm in Brexitland. They are pretty much all located in either council run or supermarket car parks so definitely have permission. Of the 2 locations I use one actually appears to be local council run and the other is the Salvation Army.

However - even if it is just a private enterprise picking and selling the good stuff and shredding the rest surely this is still better than you chucking it in the trash where I assume it is likely to go to landfill or incinerator?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Not when it's marketed as a charity and not a vintage/high end clothing shop collection point, no. Plus the mentioned "destroy entire third world economies" thing.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Powershift posted:

Don't forget the ones that send all the clothes to Africa, which completely destroys their local garment industry.

Cite your sources? The practice has been going on for years, so any destruction would have been a while ago. Looks like there's two sides to that story, at least. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/06/second-hand-clothing-donations-kenya

Either way, throwing good clothing away because you can't be assed to drop it off at Goodwill isn't helping.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
They started showing up in NY/NJ in 2011-ish, and spread from there. Every time a company gets investigated and closed, two more show up under new guises.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/07/nyregion/with-a-charitable-veneer-seeking-donations-and-then-profits.html

https://www.charitywatch.org/charitywatch-articles/planet-aid-39-s-recycling-program-debunked-/88

https://fashionista.com/2016/01/clothing-donation

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.wnyc.org/story/yes-most-those-new-clothing-drop-bins-are-scam/&sa=U&

The Arizona AG even had a press release about them, because so many here are scams

https://www.azag.gov/press-release/ag-brnovich-how-spot-fake-charity-donation-bins

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I said Goodwill, not random bins.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Never said I was replying to your second sentence, whereas the first sentence is in reference to the ongoing conversation about the bins :psyduck:?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Queen Combat posted:

Never said I was replying to your second sentence, whereas the first sentence is in reference to the ongoing conversation about the bins :psyduck:?

Nor was I replying to you, my first reply was clearly to powershift about Africa. Chill.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

meatpimp posted:

Yeah, me, too. Looks like they had a really, really bad design that allowed for very little system failure.

I've been using https://keepa.com/#! , not as good, but it's all I've got right now.

I was not aware of camel alternatives, thanks!

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

meatpimp posted:

Nor was I replying to you, my first reply was clearly to powershift about Africa. Chill.

We're talking about the bins re: Africa ????

I don't understand that context you're on, because powershift hasn't talked about goodwill, I'm the one talking about tossing clothes, I was the only post between your two and you seem to be directly replying, etc. I'm pretty certain you've got the wrong/right person.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

meatpimp posted:

I said Goodwill, not random bins.

QC - I agree with your dislike of the random bins as per some of those articles but don't Goodwill and other recognisable charitable orgs have branded bins you can use, so you can just drop the bag of clothes off 24/7 without having to go into a shop. That is definitely better than them going into your mixed trash and likely getting landfilled.

I've read the articles you linked about how exported clothing can affect the textile industry in africa... and i'm still not sure that this is worse than putting more trash straight into landfill when it could be re-used..

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alarbus posted:

Weird. My wife and I donated a ton of stuff to our Goodwill that we outgrew age/profession/weight/etc and I just gave them bags and boxes, and they were super happy. The only requirements on their page were that they be clean, and someone receive them (ie no dumping).

In your case I would toss/recycle too.

Yeah, the only thing the one on my side of town has ever given me poo poo on is they're super paranoid about anything kid-related, which I guess makes sense from a recall perspective.

E: At least here, Goodwill only has actual staffed donation locations. The dump bins are indeed a bit sketchy, but it hasn't stopped me from using them if I have a random bag of poo poo in the Jeep that I haven't hauled to Goodwill yet and they're already closed.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
It's probably just the area I'm in, Dobson/Southern. There are a few others a bit further away, I'll throw the poo poo into a trunk and next time I go thrift browsing I'll see if they want anything.

Update: someone came to pick up a recliner I was selling, but didn't bring a friend, though the listing specifies it. I've already gone ham on an old sofa in the past with a chainsaw and it wasn't nearly as cathartic as I wanted it to be, otherwise I'd do the same here (neighbors be damned).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Queen Combat posted:

We're talking about the bins re: Africa ????

I don't understand that context you're on, because powershift hasn't talked about goodwill, I'm the one talking about tossing clothes, I was the only post between your two and you seem to be directly replying, etc. I'm pretty certain you've got the wrong/right person.

I don't know if you're being intentionally obtuse or not.

meatpimp posted:

Cite your sources? The practice has been going on for years, so any destruction would have been a while ago. Looks like there's two sides to that story, at least. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/06/second-hand-clothing-donations-kenya

Was referring to powershift, since it was quoted.

meatpimp posted:

Either way, throwing good clothing away because you can't be assed to drop it off at Goodwill isn't helping.

Was referring to you, since you were the one intending to discard clothing. Capisce?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

meatpimp posted:

There are more than 2 sides, really.

http://theconversation.com/americas-petty-policy-on-used-clothes-for-africa-95132

quote:

However, what is deeply concerning is that when the members of the East African Community (EAC), a regional trade agreement similar to NAFTA, decided to increase the restrictions on used-clothing imports, the current U.S. administration responded by threatening to remove AGOA access for them.

As a result of this threat, Kenya quickly reversed its decision. Then, in February, Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania decided to end their proposed ban on used-clothing imports too. However, because Rwanda is maintaining significant tariffs on used-clothing imports, the U.S. has decided to suspend Rwanda’s AGOA access for apparel exports.

A balance has to be found, and reuse and recycling is obviously important, but in this situation, there seems to be a ton of downside.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Ahahaha our country is a piece of poo poo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

There are more than 2 sides, really.

http://theconversation.com/americas-petty-policy-on-used-clothes-for-africa-95132

A balance has to be found, and reuse and recycling is obviously important, but in this situation, there seems to be a ton of downside.

Yup, looks like a right mess, but I find little support for not donating new or nearly new clothing items to Goodwill, which will sell them and return 87 cents on the dollar to the community.

Edit: Just to demonstrate that I practice what I preach:

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 10, 2019

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

meatpimp posted:

Was referring to you, since you were the one intending to discard clothing. Capisce?

Read my posts! THEY DIDN'T WANT ANYTHING BUT SORTED FULL BAGS JESUS CHRIST I ALREADY SAID I'D TRY AGAIN AT A DIFFERENT ONE HOLY poo poo

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Queen Combat posted:

I have a bunch of mint (wrapped, or worn/washed literally once in some cases) 5.11 7 pocket "tactical" brush pants. Retail for like $50-100. So, threw them up on offerup (which is a location-based craigslist knockoff thing) for $20 each, and I have people from 50 miles away asking if I'll deliver, if I'll take $10, all the usual poo poo.

Queen Combat posted:

Read my posts! THEY DIDN'T WANT ANYTHING BUT SORTED FULL BAGS JESUS CHRIST I ALREADY SAID I'D TRY AGAIN AT A DIFFERENT ONE HOLY poo poo

It sounded like it was already sorted. IDK, just don't know why you're making such a big deal about donating to charity. :shrug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jeeze, meatpimp, chill the gently caress out.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Let's move on.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

Jeeze, meatpimp, chill the gently caress out.

Sorry, we (in general) have so much of so much that I don't like seeing people bragging about not donating/recycling. I'll shut up now.

Edit: Listening to mod, too.

Moving on -- I live in an area that is a) rapidly expanding, and b) has a "No Commercial" zoning rule. That means that the existing commercial businesses at the South end of the township are absolutely flooded with multiples of the volume they were intended to, since they've been there for 15 years and the residential building exploded withing the past 10 years.

So... that means that I placed an order at Dominos, went to pick it up and they were hammered at 5:00 on Saturday. Their online chart said my stuff was ready, but the guy at the counter said it wasn't.

I waited another 10 minutes and checked again and nothing was there. The order was obviously sent somewhere else or lost or whatever. It took another 15 minutes of waiting to talk to a manager (they were super, super slammed) until I just went up to the manager and asked for his name and told him mine... said I didn't get my order and I'd talk with him on another day about it.

I went home and made something else, but I really wanted that italian sub.

I felt bad for the workers... they were all absolutely hustling, but also so obviously overloaded that there wasn't going to be any sanity in that place for quite a while.

So maybe I was hangry, too. :D

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 10, 2019

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

meatpimp posted:

Yup, looks like a right mess, but I find little support for not donating new or nearly new clothing items to Goodwill, which will sell them and return 87 cents on the dollar to the community.

Edit: Just to demonstrate that I practice what I preach:

Has the IRS ever asked anyone for one of these receipts because I don't bother getting them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I never get them because the total I donate in a year isn't going to make much of a difference on my taxes, and now zero with the new standard deduction.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I usually drop clothes off in the grocery parking lot Goodwill boxes.

When there aren't people digging around inside of them anyways.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

I never get them because the total I donate in a year isn't going to make much of a difference on my taxes, and now zero with the new standard deduction.

I get them just for documentation, but yeah, the tax numbers are all skewed this year. I took the standard deduction instead of itemizing for the first time in... at least 20 years.

Rhyno posted:

I usually drop clothes off in the grocery parking lot Goodwill boxes.

When there aren't people digging around inside of them anyways.

I would ask if that was true, but... Indiana.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's not a super common sight but a few months ago we cleared put all my mom's leftover garage sale junk and when I got to the nearest donation box there was a truck idling next to it and rustling noises coming from inside. I've read that goodwill has had some problems with people cutting the locks off in the past.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Even before the changes, I have so little to deduct in any given year that as my mortgage continues to age, I was nearing the standard deduction even on the old plan.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Previa_fun posted:

Also I need something that keeps my case off the floor because I have carpet and the intake for the PSU is on the bottom of the computer case which is real cool.

I didn't realize this was an issue with my current case + carpet until I happened to have the cover off after swapping something or other... few hours later was sitting at the desk and my foot brushed the power supply. :supaburn:

It's a PSU with the fan on the bottom inlet instead of on the exhaust. How the gently caress that PSU survived - and continues to survive - is beyond me (loving thing has also survived a lightning strike that took out the motherboard and my microwave, along with a port on the router). Explains why it would power off when I'd fire up something graphics-heavy.

IOwnCalculus posted:

This. I do a schedule C, but stuff donated to Goodwill is stuff that belonged to me, not a business - I can't put it on the schedule C. :sigh:

The only asset 100% for work is an aging Moto G5 Plus. That I bought used for $105. Irony: the new Moto G7 isn't really enough of an improvement in performance for me to justify buying one yet, but there's one version with a 5000 mAh battery (the 3000 mAh in my G5 Plus is still enough to get through over half the day before needing a charger, which is loving impressive for precise-location apps and constant screen-on) - I'll probably grab one of those once the battery starts wearing out on this.

I've never owned any real property (unless you count a car), and last year was my first time playing with stocks (made a few hundred bucks, so not much of a blip in my taxes), I've never had a reason to not take the standard deduction.

I'm personally holding off on filing because I've heard a lot of people working in the gig economy (so far, all of them had used H&R Block, both DIY and in-store) got their returns rejected by the IRS. Supposedly they have to re-submit on Friday (15th) and that H&R should have updated their poo poo for the "new" rules? From what it sounds like, H&R can't tell the difference between W2 and 1099 mileage deductions (rules changed for 2018), and submits that deduction wrong? gently caress if I know. I use TurboTax Self Employed, so hopefully that won't be an issue, but I'm not exactly in a hurry to write a 4 figure check.

I do hope 2019 will be the year of the mortgage instead of renting, but that'll more likely be 2020.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I found a place where I used to live that paid by weight for used clothes so I started taking all our stuff there. Then my neighbors saw me regularly taking clothes to be donated and gave me theirs too. Then they wouldn't accept the money they paid out "because it was for charity". I met 1 couple there who said they collected all the bagged clothes left outside the dubious charity bins and weighed them in for a steady income. It's a circle of scams all the way down. Or a spiral, whatever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cakesmith handyman posted:

I found a place where I used to live that paid by weight for used clothes so I started taking all our stuff there. Then my neighbors saw me regularly taking clothes to be donated and gave me theirs too. Then they wouldn't accept the money they paid out "because it was for charity". I met 1 couple there who said they collected all the bagged clothes left outside the dubious charity bins and weighed them in for a steady income. It's a circle of scams all the way down. Or a spiral, whatever.

My employer works with a local non profit on clothing and food drives and the person in charge of collections was caught selling the better stuff to a local second hand clothing store. It's always scammy. I now take everything to the rescue mission.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

STR posted:

I'm personally holding off on filing because I've heard a lot of people working in the gig economy (so far, all of them had used H&R Block, both DIY and in-store) got their returns rejected by the IRS. Supposedly they have to re-submit on Friday (15th) and that H&R should have updated their poo poo for the "new" rules? From what it sounds like, H&R can't tell the difference between W2 and 1099 mileage deductions (rules changed for 2018), and submits that deduction wrong? gently caress if I know. I use TurboTax Self Employed, so hopefully that won't be an issue, but I'm not exactly in a hurry to write a 4 figure check.

I do hope 2019 will be the year of the mortgage instead of renting, but that'll more likely be 2020.

FWIW I have a farm and deducted mileage using HRBlock online. My return was accepted by the IRS almost instantly.

The rest of the experience was pretty awful, their “take a picture” function didn’t work. So with 3 w2s, 6 1099s and schedule F it took a bit.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

slothrop posted:

You’re doing well. And you’re doing good for your self.

I know how poo poo both these things are, you’re tackling both at the same time.

This is seriously hard poo poo. You can do it.

You’re going to be irritable, GOD! gently caress!

It sucks but try to remember that you’re not yourself

If you wanna vent, pm me.

I don't have PMs.

I was doing good until about 2 hours ago. Time to remelt a wedding ring.
Dog = wrecked and won't find a replacement.
Quitting cigarettes = don't want a replacement.
10 years finally and then a denied ring = cannot function.

(don't worry, not suicidal, just very very sad)

What a loving week to quit the darts. I'm pacing the house wanting to punch poo poo.

Humphreys fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 10, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Humphreys posted:

What a loving week to quit the darts. I'm pacing the house wanting to punch poo poo.

Exercise. Run/bike/calisthenics... or my favorite in that situation -- work out on a heavy bag. You get tired and you get endorphins. The best your body can give you right now.

Hang tough, it gets better. :unsmith:

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

meatpimp posted:

Exercise. Run/bike/calisthenics... or my favorite in that situation -- work out on a heavy bag. You get tired and you get endorphins. The best your body can give you right now.

Hang tough, it gets better. :unsmith:

Two walls 'renovated', 35yo 6'2 beardo now in a corner just crying like a child.

It doesn't get better when The One subtracts

(once again - not self harming, just sad)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FywSzjRq0e4

Humphreys fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 10, 2019

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Bummer, man. Do you have a good friend you could call and have over for a talk? I’ve been on both sides of this and it’s so natural to help, yet we’re so reluctant to ask for help.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

bolind posted:

Bummer, man. Do you have a good friend you could call and have over for a talk? I’ve been on both sides of this and it’s so natural to help, yet we’re so reluctant to ask for help.

I have a few friends to chat to, none within 50km midnight on a sunday.
I lost who I thought was my best ever friend so not really caring about the mates.

Humphreys fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Humphreys posted:

I have a few friends to chat to, none within 50km midnight on a sunday.
I lost who I thought was my best ever friend so not really caring about the mates.

drat man my heart hurts for you right now. I've been there so very recently and it sucks. Don't know what else to say besides it will get better and that sounds cheesy and cliche but it's true.

Id also recommend exercise, it's the one thing that should help the soonest. Even just going outside helps or at least it did for me so worth a shot.