Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=AT1Tntk7QU0

This is certainly a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Genuinely tense viewing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

codo27 posted:

Ok bit of a kneejerk reaction post here but god drat, the creators of this should have been forced to play about 500 hours of Dark Souls before coming up with the movement mechanics for this. 2 deaths to super X floor claw charge now because, what, Leon cant run faster than 0 millimeters per decade? Its a good thing I like this fuckin music

e: 3 deaths. Think I got it figured out, run circles around his weak arm and he will just swipe and miss constantly. He starts the wind up, I'll try getting close to him this time and staying behind him! Nope. Leon is Captain Impale-o once again

e: I'm an idiot! forgot you could discourage this attack with various forms of artillery to the face

He's programmed to get stumbled out of the charge with even the smallest amount of pistol fire. My Leon A Hardcore run ended with me using my final two pistol bullets on him during the charge and (thankfully) knocking him over.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

CJacobs posted:

He's programmed to get stumbled out of the charge with even the smallest amount of pistol fire. My Leon A Hardcore run ended with me using my final two pistol bullets on him during the charge and (thankfully) knocking him over.

Plus the debris stop him in his tracks if that’s available to hide behind.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Yay I finished Claire A and it took me... 10 hours ?! drat I was pretty surprised by that number because 1) it certainly didn't feel that long, and 2) I did 90% of the lab twice, reloading an old save since on the first time I couldn't find any drat green herbs and couldn't beat the boss, so the second time I already had the passwords and knew what I was doing so I breezed through it so fast. Maybe I left the game on the pause screen for a while while I did something around my house and I forgot all about that.

Anyway I'm super excited to start Leon once the sun goes down.

In the mean time I'm also super excited to be able to spoiler free watch some speed runs of Claire A. Does anyone have any recommendations of some good speedruns or entertaining runs?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

codo27 posted:

the creators of this should have been forced to play about 500 hours of Dark Souls

circle strafing Tyrant while he spins in place would be pretty funny

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Grenades will stop him as well.

Finished up Claire B earlier today, and it’s reinforced what I thought before about Claire over Leon. You’d think with a shotgun that Leon would do better in combat against common enemies but it just doesn’t seem to work that way.

It’s even more more effective in her 2nd run because if you know the codes you can get the SMG and silencer upgrade really early on and go around sawing legs off zombies without making any noise to attract Clompy Boi.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I haven’t played the original RE2 in many years but don’t Claire and Leon run into each other more in that game?

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

sponges posted:

I haven’t played the original RE2 in many years but don’t Claire and Leon run into each other more in that game?

Actually no, outside of the STARS office and one or two super-brief radio conversations, that’s it

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
When I was doing my first hardcore S+ run, I had to fight the super tyrant with just a handful of handgun bullets so I had to get the entire three minutes or so to expire. During this time he charges 3 times (I didn't attack at all). He definitely staggers during the charge even from just 1 handgun bullet but you have to land the shot straight on his heart. I'm also confident that subsequent charges give you less time to react. He does his hulking-out thing everytime just before the attack itself, but it feels like it's quicker and quicker the more he does it.

William Birkin 3 is definitely a much harder fight on S+ (and the hardest fight in the game overall) but super tyrant is no slouch. You just need to have fast reflexes

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

sponges posted:

Outside of the intro and the end Claire and Leon meet in person once or twice, depending on which A/B you're doing. I think its Leon A/Claire B where Claire meets Leon in the sewer after he's shot by Annette. They talk to each other twice over the radio otherwise ("You can access this area now" and "You need to get Sherry"/"I'm going to get Sherry.")

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
There's a bit in LeonB which makes no drat sense, now that I think about it. After Leon boosts Ada through the duct, she sees Sherry run off and grab her pendant. After Ada chucks him the Club key, he gets a radio message from Claire saying that she found Sherry and cleared the helicopter debris. Unless Sherry is bamfing all over the RPD like Nightcrawler it's not possible for this to happen.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

IDK, the leeches were kinda lame but I really liked the mold monsters.

The stupid millipede neck monsters from 4 and 5 were impossibly lame and yeah yeah yeah 4 is great or whatever, but it's not a horror game. The plagas monsters were just so goofy.

RE0 started the awful tradition of leech/black amorphous enemies in 5, 6 and 7 and that can never be forgiven.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Uroborous was a cool idea with the shoggoth aesthetics but it went nowhere save the same old same old tentacle kaiju bore

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

DeadButDelicious posted:

There's a bit in LeonB which makes no drat sense, now that I think about it. After Leon boosts Ada through the duct, she sees Sherry run off and grab her pendant. After Ada chucks him the Club key, he gets a radio message from Claire saying that she found Sherry and cleared the helicopter debris. Unless Sherry is bamfing all over the RPD like Nightcrawler it's not possible for this to happen.

There are kid-sized ventilation shafts in RE2 '98 that are basically warp zones, and classic survival-horror NPCs can all teleport once they're offscreen. That's not even the single biggest plot hole in the game.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I never played 6. What was the significance of the spider jizz self-suck giraffe on the cover? (yes I know it was a stylized 6)

Were the monsters spiders or slime creatures or something?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Wanderer posted:

There are kid-sized ventilation shafts in RE2 '98 that are basically warp zones, and classic survival-horror NPCs can all teleport once they're offscreen. That's not even the single biggest plot hole in the game.

Yeah I did see the vents. Specifically there's one by the STARS hallway door that leads to the room LeonB finds Sherry (and handgun parts). There's probably more I missed but I figure that's how Sherry's been getting around the station while avoiding monsters.

And yeah the single biggest plothole in the original RE2 is the lack of bathrooms. Unless they're sealed away like everything else, requiring the TP, plunger and Febreeze crests to open.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

That strut is right in line with the way he delivers a lot of his "son of a bitch" etc lines

Also the debris is not safe to hide behind in the super X fight because he can smash it and you in one swing as I learned.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 10, 2019

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Were the monsters spiders or slime creatures or something?

There's one big slime creature that's the antagonist for what's arguably the single scariest part of the game.

DeadButDelicious posted:

Yeah I did see the vents. Specifically there's one by the STARS hallway door that leads to the room LeonB finds Sherry (and handgun parts). There's probably more I missed but I figure that's how Sherry's been getting around the station while avoiding monsters.

That's more or less the explicit text. IIRC, when Claire first sees Sherry, Sherry runs into the back lounge and escapes through an open vent that's too big for an adult.

DeadButDelicious posted:

And yeah the single biggest plothole in the original RE2 is the lack of bathrooms. Unless they're sealed away like everything else, requiring the TP, plunger and Febreeze crests to open.

Nah, it's still how in the hell Leon, Claire, and the nameless trucker managed to get all the way downtown without noticing the outbreak.

At least in the remake, they kind of address it: they don't get as far into the city before poo poo goes wrong, and there are a few hints that things are being hushed up rather than actively quarantined, like the trucker's radio signal dying.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

I want an RE spinoff featuring the Tofu Team.

I was going for S+ rank on Leon A standard (just so my result screen would show S+ on all stories and difficulties) and got cocky at G1 trying to knife him to death. Hadn't saved, so I went to go do some Tofu instead. I've now gone from struggling to clear Tofu to only having one left to finish (grenade Tofu).

Can't wait to have 100%'ed this game tomorrow. What a fantastic experience it's been :)

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

drat, Claire is quick draw McGraw with her Ruger Blackhawk

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Wanderer posted:

There's one big slime creature that's the antagonist for what's arguably the single scariest part of the game.

That's more or less the explicit text. IIRC, when Claire first sees Sherry, Sherry runs into the back lounge and escapes through an open vent that's too big for an adult.

Nah, it's still how in the hell Leon, Claire, and the nameless trucker managed to get all the way downtown without noticing the outbreak.

At least in the remake, they kind of address it: they don't get as far into the city before poo poo goes wrong, and there are a few hints that things are being hushed up rather than actively quarantined, like the trucker's radio signal dying.

Zombies are all total stealth experts avoiding conflict until just one of them is spotted and identified, at which point all the rest break cover and go for the offending survivor. Happens in like half the zombie products I've ever seen.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I finally got an S+ on Claire A at 2 hours clean. Could've shaved 15 minutes easy if I didn't mess up luring Mr. X around. He jumped on my head in the library lol.

The minigun is... disgusting. It's like a ranged chainsaw.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Shiit I bought RE2 today and played up to Chief's office.

The game is super tense and the first boss fight was simple but had incredible atmosphere.

Claire is cute in remake and cusses a lot

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Why do some zombies take dozens of bullets to actually die? Like four or more headshots each, assuming they actually die when they hit the ground the first time. I had one in the library that got up three loving times and took almost twelve headshots. He literally had no face.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Every zombie in the game has an hand-placed health total and some of them have a massively higher health pool than the rest, presumably for exactly that reason, to keep surprising you when they just do not stay down.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

CJacobs posted:

Every zombie in the game has an hand-placed health total and some of them have a massively higher health pool than the rest, presumably for exactly that reason, to keep surprising you when they just do not stay down.

Ohh so there's no real consistency to expect between zombies. Welp.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah them being consistent would kind of ruin the tone

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SpazmasterX posted:

Yeah that's probably another big aspect of it, to keep out the consistency that made RE4's shooting so arcadey feeling. Very different intended atmosphere.

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009

DeadButDelicious posted:

I want an RE spinoff featuring the Tofu Team.

In 1998 a crack commando unit was sent to Raccoon City by Umbrella in order retrieve a G-virus sample. These soyblocks promptly escaped from the infested necropolis and went into hiding. Today, still in high demand, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you need something returned... if you're trapped, surrounded by monsters... if you can contact them, maybe you can hire...Tofu Team

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Either memorize their placement and health totals or be comfortable doing 3 shots to the head and moving on (normal difficulty) shooting out their legs and running for it (hardcore)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Blight Runner posted:

In 1998 a crack commando unit was sent to Raccoon City by Umbrella in order retrieve a G-virus sample. These soyblocks promptly escaped from the infested necropolis and went into hiding. Today, still in high demand, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you need something returned... if you're trapped, surrounded by monsters... if you can contact them, maybe you can hire...Tofu Team

"<Man, why are we the Tofu Team. None of us are tofu-based but you.>"
"<Annin Tofu is.>"
"<I'm actually made of apricot milk and algae. I just have tofu-like consistency.>"
"<That's what I'm saying. We ought to be the Tasty Team or something.>"
"<Look, I'm the franchise. Get over it.>"

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

charismaslover posted:

Some of these extra character tofu runs are loving hard as balls. Annin tofu especially for me.

That was the hardest for me. I had to just run through, dodge everything I could, ration healing, and figure out when to rely on the revolver's knockback.

Oddly I finished it with full health because I saved my last full-heal for too long and popped it when it barely mattered anymore.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If there’s one thing I want out of my horror games it’s monsters that act exactly like I expect them to.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

SpazmasterX posted:

Why do some zombies take dozens of bullets to actually die? Like four or more headshots each, assuming they actually die when they hit the ground the first time. I had one in the library that got up three loving times and took almost twelve headshots. He literally had no face.

Every zombie has specific health pools and some of them are just loving tanks. There's no real way to know which ones are gonna do this unless you memorise it.

locational damage is also irrelevant in RE2 since different shot placement doesn't actually do different amounts of damage. Unless you crit the head, it doesn't matter jack poo poo if you hit the knee or the head. So zombies that are scripted to take eight million bullets will always take eight million bullets, doesn't matter how well you place your shots.

you don't really have a lot of agency in how the combat plays out and the game goes to great lengths to obscure this fact from you

Kibayasu posted:

If there’s one thing I want out of my horror games it’s monsters that act exactly like I expect them to.

i would accept this if RE2 was particularly scary but even if it was you're hella not gonna feel like that by your third and fourth runs

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
I may just have to restart my playthrough then. I've been using bullets thinking most of them go down in a few shots when apparently I should just be running from most of them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Every zombie has specific health pools and some of them are just loving tanks. There's no real way to know which ones are gonna do this unless you memorise it.

locational damage is also irrelevant in RE2 since different shot placement doesn't actually do different amounts of damage. Unless you crit the head, it doesn't matter jack poo poo if you hit the knee or the head. So zombies that are scripted to take eight million bullets will always take eight million bullets, doesn't matter how well you place your shots.

This really isn't true at all. It is if you're focusing on a binary "do I kill/not kill" metric but that isn't how RE2 is designed. Every encounter in the game is designed in such a way that on subsequent playthroughs the primary goal isn't to kill enemies but to figure out the most optimal way to get past them with minimal expenditure of resources. Your agency in combat is in figure out when and where to spend your resources and how those can be effective.

Among other things "locational damage doesn't matter' isn't true because different parts on a zombie have different impacts when they're damaged. Headshots have insta-kill on critical, limbs can be broken, and so-on.

You've said this same thing before and you're focusing on consistent HP totals over everything else to the point you are unironically saying locational damage doesn't matter in the game which would be hilariously disproven by the multiple enemies with literally glowing weak spots and the fact that people do choose to focus on headshots or kneeshots over body shots for a reason.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 10, 2019

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

SpazmasterX posted:

I may just have to restart my playthrough then. I've been using bullets thinking most of them go down in a few shots when apparently I should just be running from most of them.

you probably don't since the game has scaling dynamic difficulty so it'll pull back a bit if it gets rough. Just use whatever you've got. Eating a hit and running by is a viable solution if all you've got on your side is health items.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

This really isn't true at all. It is if you're focusing on a binary "do I kill/not kill" metric but that isn't how RE2 is designed. Every encounter in the game is designed in such a way that on subsequent playthroughs the primary goal isn't to kill enemies but to figure out the most optimal way to get past them with minimal expenditure of resources. Your agency in combat is in figure out when and where to spend your resources and how those can be effective.

Among other things "locational damage doesn't matter' isn't true because different parts on a zombie have different impacts when they're damaged. Headshots have insta-kill on critical, limbs can be broken, and so-on.

no it's completely true

like, the data on this is in, it does not matter one fuckin jot where you hit zombies unless you're trying to stagger, which is not particular to where you hit so much as it's just randomly decided

you also can't really have a whole lot of agency in spending resources since you're not gonna have any fuckin clue how much something will take, especially when the dynamic difficulty gets involved and starts screwing with the numbers. It is systematically and mathematically designed to normalise play patterns really really hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah if anything locational damage matters more now then it ever has since shooting legs off leaves then way easier to run around. It doesn't really matter if they have large pools of health if you don't try and kill them.