Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Looking at the picture posted it seems the strap is connected to the wrong spot in the dash. What the gently caress even is this Jeep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

More than any older vehicle I've ever shopped for and/or bought, YJs and TJs bring out the most creative and probably worst fixes I've seen. Aluminum flashing floor pans, literal hangers holding exhaust up, frame rails filled with Great Stuff and sanded, etc. Someone probably "fixed" your glove box at some point, too.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Mammal Sauce posted:

literal hangers holding exhaust up

My exhaust is currently held on by faith. The rear hanger is fully rusted away and the next one back is almost gone. I'm putting in a new exhaust from the frontpipe back in a couple of weeks. It will probably hold until then :shepface:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I made a license plate bracket with a light holder on top:

I'm feeling a little better about my welds, but two flat pieces butted up together is about the easiest thing to weld.

I may add a light behind the plate pointing straight down, like a rock light. BUT, I probably won't because how will that help me from the drivers seat?!?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Any guesses what's making the droning/whining noise under acceleration in this video? (The clunks and rattles and squeaks are just the hard top that probably needs new weatherstripping)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkB5NlERLsI

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

In the don't ignore things and let them go for far too long basket goes ignoring my TJ running a bit rough and hesitating when accelerating up hills or on the highway. Its been doing it for a while but no codes or anything so :effort: but when going up the ski hill last weekend it was much worse. Googling lead me to the throttle position sensor. I replaced it and its running smoother and more responsively than it ever has for me :shepface:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Have you cleaned your throttle body and idle air control valve before? If you haven't, you should!

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Astonishing Wang posted:

Have you cleaned your throttle body and idle air control valve before? If you haven't, you should!

I had not no. I cleaned out the throttle body without removing it when swapping the sensor. I probably should be less lazy and take it off the engine and fully clean it out. I haven't done the idle air control valve though I will put that on the list.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I'm thinking about buying a new 2018 JL 4-door wrangler. Have they fixed the head gasket issues from the JKs? Is there anything I should be on the lookout for? Am I about to make a horrible mistake?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's Chrysler. I wouldn't count on them fixing anything.

My 2012 has gone through more coolant system parts than I care to admit anymore. I'm debating throwing a few hundred bucks at the cruise control. Fortunately the Christmas Tree dash lights were easy to fix, but the random traction control light is a complete mystery.

If you buy one, sell it before the loving warranty runs out. All my poo poo started between 40,000 and 45,000 miles.

I'll never own another product build by this company unless it's old enough I can throw a 350 or LS into it.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Dik Hz posted:

I'm thinking about buying a new 2018 JL 4-door wrangler. Have they fixed the head gasket issues from the JKs? Is there anything I should be on the lookout for? Am I about to make a horrible mistake?

Only problem I've heard about with the JLs was the weld breaking free in the steering links :shepface: They did a recall for that though.That said they are new so not that much time for problems to appear yet.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Godholio posted:

Christmas Tree dash lights were easy to fix

What was your issue here?

My 2012 WK2 started doing this to me.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

lovely battery terminals. Get a pair of marine terminals, and just cut the old ones off to replace them. One in particular was prone to loosening up, giving a shoddy connection which would lead to spastic lights and gauges.

Something like this (get lugs too) or this.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 5, 2019

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Godholio posted:

lovely battery terminals. Get a pair of marine terminals, and just cut the old ones off to replace them. One in particular was prone to loosening up, giving a shoddy connection which would lead to spastic lights and gauges.

Thank you for posting this! I got the Christmas tree the other day out of loving no where and about lost my poo poo. Tightened up my negative terminal and that seemed to resolve it. No matter how hard I wrench down on that one it never seems to be tight enough that I can't move the whole wire bundle with my hand.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Godholio posted:

Thanks, that was one of the things I was going to attack next. Was reading a write up of a JK owner doing the same thing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's the stupidest problem. They hosed up BATTERY TERMINALS.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I test drove a new Wrangler today and it was dead with 27 miles on it. They brought out a portable jumper and that got the accessories working, but nothing else. A stronger battery pack managed to turn the engine over. I think an ominous red light on the tach hinted at an electrical problem. Once they got it moving everything appeared to work fine. Except for the red light.

It was nice. I might buy one. Not that one. Definitely not that one.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Fuckin don't! If that's not a bad omen I don't know what is.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Astonishing Wang posted:

Fuckin don't! If that's not a bad omen I don't know what is.

Yes, that particular Jeep is cursed. The dealership is probably cursed too.

Hopefully the model itself isn't.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

MOPAR mo problems

Seriously, you're looking at a vehicle designed and built by Chrysler Fiat. I don't know what you're expecting.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Godholio posted:

MOPAR mo problems

Seriously, you're looking at a vehicle designed and built by Chrysler Fiat. I don't know what you're expecting.

Something that hasn’t broken down by it’s 27th mile. I do realize that’s pushing it with Chrysler Fiat, but I dream of a time when their vehicles can make it a whole 100 miles before needing a new part.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
It isn't uncommon for a battery to go dead while a car sits on the lot not being driven. That being said, its weird for a Wrangler since they're usually in perpetual demand. Plus, I would expect a warning light to go out during the test drive if it was just a dead battery.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The light usually indicates a problem with the charging system.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Recommendations for LED (legal) headlight kits that won't catch my engine on fire? I know the Evolutions are good, but it's hard to justify 600-800 bucks for a pair of headlights. I've heard of some company out of Florida (something Innovations) that has a good set.

Also finally convinced the wife to let me up size the tires. BFG KO2s in 33s,and gas mileage seems roughly the same but it rides so much smoother. Dunno.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I have these Truck-Lite headlights on my '16 JKU and like them.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Thronde posted:

Recommendations for LED (legal) headlight kits that won't catch my engine on fire? I know the Evolutions are good, but it's hard to justify 600-800 bucks for a pair of headlights. I've heard of some company out of Florida (something Innovations) that has a good set.

Also finally convinced the wife to let me up size the tires. BFG KO2s in 33s,and gas mileage seems roughly the same but it rides so much smoother. Dunno.

I have these in my Jeep, put them in my dads jeep, and 3 other friends have them. They are great.

LX-LIGHT 7'' Round Black Cree LED... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B376YOE?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I just ordered a 2019 Sport 2 door in hellayella.

My automobile is going to look like SpongeBob Squarepants.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Good luck. I really like the changes they made in the JL, but I got burned too bad on the JK.

TotalLossBrain posted:

I have these Truck-Lite headlights on my '16 JKU and like them.

Truck-Lite is the cheapest I'd go with. If money weren't an issue the JW Speakers are rad.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I just took the hard top off my CJ-7 and it's so nice not hearing that loving creaking and clattering anymore. It's an old Acme fiberglass thing that's getting a little brittle around the edges. I'm considering putting it on Craigslist for like $250. Figured if I really want a top I could get a soft top later; will I regret getting rid of the hard top? Is it a pain to get decent doors?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
If you're any where near California don't sell for anything under $600 or so. I've never seen one go cheaper than that.

But at the same time, in most of California you don't need a hard top.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

If you're any where near California don't sell for anything under $600 or so. I've never seen one go cheaper than that.

But at the same time, in most of California you don't need a hard top.

New Mexico. Weather's not quite as mild as California and people don't have as much money.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I paid more than that in Oklahoma.

Look at craigslist to get an idea for prices.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Trying out the new NP241OR in the snow.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Picked up a new toy last weekend for cheap

[Timg]https://i.imgur.com/N1aALq1.jpg[[/Timg]

‘98 Sport

Just needs a detail and a new windshield on the cosmetic end of things.

Gonna replace the rear main this weekend so it stops marking my garage floor.

Has a surprising amount of pep even with the Rubicon 17” wheels and Mud Terrains on it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I like those wheels. My plan for replacing the stock tires on our 2016 JKU is to pick up a complete Rubicon stock wheel+tire set. People seem to replace those as soon as they get their Jeep.
I see them regularly for $600-$900 on FB marketplace

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Yeah, these were brand new take-offs the PO picked up. I actually hate the tires tho - the Mud Terrains are terrible on anything other than mud and trails. I would much rather have the BFG all Terrains on this thing but oh well. At least I know I’ll only get like 40k more miles out of them

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow that one looks like a nicely kept keeper of an XJ! A friend was showing me some listings recently and low mile good condition XJs are starting to get up to pretty high levels--some pushing up against $10k or more. I bet one day we're going to see people asking $15k or more for a good XJ, just like the older full size Grand Cherokees now. Snap one up now for cheap while you still can.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
I had to weed thru a lot of garbage XJs before finding this one. People keep cutting the wheel wells. The PO was beginning to build it out for his 16y/o kid who decided he was more interested in Subarus. I think I saved it from becoming a beater/wheeler.

It’s been about 10 years since I had a 4.0 - used to have a 99 TJ before my last two JKs. I forgot how torquey it is!

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I'd love to feel how peppy my Jeep would be with some stock sized tires!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

TotalLossBrain posted:

I like those wheels. My plan for replacing the stock tires on our 2016 JKU is to pick up a complete Rubicon stock wheel+tire set. People seem to replace those as soon as they get their Jeep.
I see them regularly for $600-$900 on FB marketplace

And here I am, grabbing the Moabs you throw away for scrap value, because just about anything looks better than the majority of factory WJ wheels.

I need to get off my rear end and throw parts at the WJ again. I've got tie rod ends and coil spring retainers gathering dust in the garage, and the fucker is due for an oil change now.