Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Mr. Neutron posted:

Pillars of Eternity played extremely well on console so hopefully they'll just copy that

Good to hear! I own a copy but it's buried in my backlog. Same with Tides of Numenéra, which I assume is comparable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Veib posted:

Beamdog should finish the unreleased Playstation 1 port of BG1 and pack it in with these as a bonus game for archival purposes.

Wait what? A PS1 version of Baldurs Gate?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

KKKLIP ART posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngXSpx-UaH4

Was in development at one point but it was canceled. Not hard to see why.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

http://forums.lostlevels.org/viewtopic.php?t=2218

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
This reviewer talks about how pillars handles on console and it looks playable to me. Gives me hope that the IE ports will do well. I will probably pause more than usual though to micro spells and abilities.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gTYV0huxa3Y

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

FastestGunAlive posted:

This reviewer talks about how pillars handles on console and it looks playable to me. Gives me hope that the IE ports will do well. I will probably pause more than usual though to micro spells and abilities.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gTYV0huxa3Y

Pretty much the only issues with PoE on console are atrocious loading times and bad performance. Neither should hopefully be an issue with Infinity engine games.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Has somebody some good advice on a party of 5-6 no-good fellows or the Black Pits (1+2) ?

I as thinking of guys i would not choose for a full campaign play-through in the immediate future:
Blackguard, Dwarven Defender, Shaman, Dragon Disciple etc.

Mabe a thief-multiclass or a elven fighter-mage? Too many squishy elements with intense micro might not be a good idea...

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Mr. Neutron posted:

Pretty much the only issues with PoE on console are atrocious loading times and bad performance. Neither should hopefully be an issue with Infinity engine games.

Has anyone tried it with, say, a PS4 that has a solid state drive? Mine doesn't, unfortunately.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Why do people hate Irenicus' Dungeon so much? I always find it's fun with a bunch of little elements to explore.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Arivia posted:

Why do people hate Irenicus' Dungeon so much? I always find it's fun with a bunch of little elements to explore.

It's great the first half-dozen times, maybe. For people who've played it tens of times it becomes just a boring slog to get through and pick up a few items/xp.

In and of itself though yeah it's a pretty cool opening dungeon.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
DungeonBeGone is my favorite BG2 mod for letting me skip the opening

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I prefer pulverizing pitiful pissants on the promenade

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
The first level of Chateau Irenicus is a slog because you have to back track across it once to get the key to open the door to the plane of air, cross it again to talk to the dryads to get the genie's lamp, cross it again to give the genie his lamp, and then cross it yet again to leave the level.

Also, Imoen just wont shut the hell up.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
smdh if u don't just ctrl-J everywhere after your first playthrough

Although, it's easy to break script triggers if you don't know where they are ahead of time.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Dillbag posted:

smdh if u don't just ctrl-J everywhere after your first playthrough

Although, it's easy to break script triggers if you don't know where they are ahead of time.

Dungeonbgone puts an imp right next to the cages, you talk to him and tell him what options you would have picked if you did go through the dungeon (eg choosing to help the dryads) and what stuff you would have picked up and then he teleports you to the exit.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

OutofSight posted:

Has somebody some good advice on a party of 5-6 no-good fellows or the Black Pits (1+2) ?

I as thinking of guys i would not choose for a full campaign play-through in the immediate future:
Blackguard, Dwarven Defender, Shaman, Dragon Disciple etc.

Mabe a thief-multiclass or a elven fighter-mage? Too many squishy elements with intense micro might not be a good idea...
Dragon Disciple works for the BP since you'll likely have enough spells to last you through most fights. BP2 becomes a breeze once you can summon Planetars. Archers a great during BP1 but they don't do so hot in BP2. Highly recommend you have a Cleric, either a Fighter/Cleric multi or a Zerker//Cleric dual. A Fighter/Mage helps round things out with support and buffing. DD might be a good idea for staying power, but I found the slow movement problematic.

Shaman doesn't strike me as having enough staying power for the BP2 but I could be wrong. A Fighter/Druid, however, could pop Iron Skins on, summon Elemental Princes and whirlwind things to death.

Decrepus posted:

I prefer pulverizing pitiful pissants on the promenade
Pipe down there Baeloth. :v:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Not only do I like the Irenicus dungeon but i also refuse to play BG2 without first having completed BG1 (and now SoD) with that character. #neverskipcontent

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Not only do I like the Irenicus dungeon but i also refuse to play BG2 without first having completed BG1 (and now SoD) with that character. #neverskipcontent

even hotter take

I only play SoD before BG2 and skip bg1

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If you find yourself getting bored of a dungeon because you've seen it 20 times maybe it's time to play a new game for once.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

cigaw posted:

Dragon Disciple works for the BP since you'll likely have enough spells to last you through most fights. BP2 becomes a breeze once you can summon Planetars. Archers a great during BP1 but they don't do so hot in BP2. Highly recommend you have a Cleric, either a Fighter/Cleric multi or a Zerker//Cleric dual. A Fighter/Mage helps round things out with support and buffing. DD might be a good idea for staying power, but I found the slow movement problematic.

Shaman doesn't strike me as having enough staying power for the BP2 but I could be wrong. A Fighter/Druid, however, could pop Iron Skins on, summon Elemental Princes and whirlwind things to death.

Thanks for the tips.

No need for a thief? (Or rather thief multiclass)

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Irenicus' dungeon is a very effective way to tutorialize gameplay system, hint at the sort of weirdness that one can find in the gonzo as poo poo Forgotten Realms, and foreshadow Irenicus' plot threads (though this... doesn't work... because most players will have forgotten about all of this stuff by the time they meet him again, lol).

In other words, it's good. It *is* pretty linear and kinda long, so I can understand how someone who's played the game a thousand times might wanna skip it, but.. y'know... other games exist, as GorfZaplen pointed out.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It's as well structured as the rest of the game. The point of it is the reveal, sending you through a linear tunnel that dumps you, abruptly and unexpectedly, into a dense open world. It's as overwhelming to the player as it would be to the character.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's as well structured as the rest of the game. The point of it is the reveal, sending you through a linear tunnel that dumps you, abruptly and unexpectedly, into a dense open world. It's as overwhelming to the player as it would be to the character.

Yeah I'd say it's just good game design. Haven't played the game in a long time but it's pretty common and in many ways a good idea to have bit of a tiring dungeon tutorial before you get to enjoy walking around the city,seeing the sights and talking to people. Have to earn it, god dammit :regd09: It's perhaps my favorite city design in computer games so they must have done it just right.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 12, 2019

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Somone make Dungeon b Gone for Black Pits 2.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Just needs to be a shortcut between the plane of air door and the nymphs. Then it's well designed.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The problem with the BG2 starter dungeon is that it's a starter dungeon, i.e. a mandatory section right at the start of the game that will, as such, be played through 1,348,267 times more often than the rest of the game put together.

There is no good design that can triumph over that.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
If you don’t like one portion of a game then you should never play it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

FastestGunAlive posted:

If you don’t like one portion of a game then you should never play it.

That's why I install GameBeGone

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah they actually rolled a mod right into the base game to take care of that, you install it with the "uninstall.exe" file in your base game dir.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I enjoy every time I meet Yoshimo for the first time. Why would I give that up?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Smashing Link posted:

its like groundhog day where you experience the same relationship over and over, and he always betrays you

no matter how many times I die I keep ending up in irenicus' cell

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Smashing Link posted:

Some people hate literally a million xp I guess???!

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

bike tory posted:

Yeah they actually rolled a mod right into the base game to take care of that, you install it with the "uninstall.exe" file in your base game dir.

There you are, I see. Why do you continue? You are dead inside already. Irenicus has seen to it. I am left to finish your physical shell.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Smashing Link posted:

It's funny that he's by far the best NPC thief and seems like a good guy when all the other best minmax characters are evil. Viconia, Edwin, Sarevok, Korgan. It's like they are blatantly encouraging you to make him a main party member.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Smashing Link posted:

Dungeon-Be-Gone has a pit stop to pick up Yoshimo.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Mordaedil posted:

I don't think we're getting NWN2 EE simply because Trent Oster was not on the team for that game.

i had heard rumors that Obsidian wanted to do it themselves a few years back but given the... challenges around the IP and the rights situation back in the nwn2 days I wouldn't be surprised if they lost interest and moved on.

JustJeff88 posted:

This is... ambitious? I'm having a hard time imagining how this would work with no mouse and keyboard.

I no longer work there but the PS:T port to Switch was looking quite good when I last saw it. Pillars provides a pretty solid example for how to do these games on console.

The team joked about sneaking the PSX version into the console ports somehow but that was obviously never going to fly.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Anyone knows if Aesgereth, the cambion with the deck of many things in Watcher's Keep 3rd level, drops the wish scroll and spectral brand if you kill him? Or are they gambling-only rewards? It's been a while since I've done that and can't remember.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Unless the EE changed it, Aesgareth doesn't drop the scroll and scimitar upon death. You can only get them through gambling.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Dungeon-Be-Gone has a pit stop to pick up Yoshimo.

Well that's good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I took my series play into BG2 chapter 2 over the last couple days and HOLY CRAP it gets me every time how you can go back and chart a flow from a munchkinned fighter/cleric just barely holding the line against Mulahey and his skeleton summons as the rest of the team tries to hit a 2AC cleric, to to squeaking past the Neothelid in SoD and putting a toe into Baby's First Nine Hells, to a 10APR, 24 strength Jaheira solo-ing the Planar Prison with Improved Haste/boots of speed, and the game arcs into treating the party like such a heroic force of nature that it really really works!

e; ooh, and Ironskin. I'm finally abusing Ironskin on Jaheira too. Its insane.

So far the scaling has held up okay, but going into BG2 with SoD xp levels has meant I'm on the cusp of HLAs as of starting chapter 3, so as the blind man said "we'll see"

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 3, 2019