Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GUNS posted:

for some reason this is reminding me of how US code talkers during ww2 were Navajo and british code talkers were Welsh

best part of that would be that you're never sure whether you just intercepted an important piece of intelligence or just some BBC on-air reading of Lovecraft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tias posted:

From a quick suggestion when you type in "fashwave" on youtube. I ain't loving clicking on any of those, but you're welcome to:

(the how and why of it is that Richard Spencer really likes Depeche Mode and thinks New Wave should be the official genre and aesthetic of the alt-right, which other morons have picked up on)

America.avi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzIZdWucQpg

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Squalid posted:

I have a hard time wrapping my mind around how this guy got into a leadership position in the US army. I mean how the gently caress did the US end up with a Waffen SS guy in charge of training Special forces in anti-guerrilla tactics? HOW the gently caress did an SS guy end up in charge of training and organizing paramilitary units for the US army?

He was useful. Think about Werner von Braun, or that Nazi who collaborated with the Mossad.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Safety Biscuits posted:

He was useful. Think about Werner von Braun, or that Nazi who collaborated with the Mossad.

how come the SS tactics didn't win the Vietnam war then

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Safety Biscuits posted:

He was an officer in the what passed for Finnish special forces (sissi/kaukopartio, the word "sissi" translates into guerrilla but there is distinct difference between the uses, the sissi forces were/are light infantry with lots of emphasis on extended duration survival in the woods) in WW2 and led long distance raiding parties. Törni was critizised by his contemporaries for being a gloryhound daredevil who had no plans for what might happen if they got killed. But he did have much experience of leading raiding forces deep behind enemy lines. Officers like that (he was a captain in the Finnish army) who were mercenary-minded enough to leave the country after the war. In my opinion if Sabaton needed to do a second song about Finnish war heroes they could have done one about Ilmari Juutilainen. Or general Nenonen, that man was an artillery wizard.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
"The Circle of Fire Correction" sounds like a catchy song title

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
or a magic the gathering card.

Just learning about the Circle now, that's pretty amazing stuff :aaa:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Fangz posted:

Special Forces operations in Vietnam were probably one of the more effective parts of fighting in that war and analysis of it probably helped contribute to the balooning of SF in the US armed forces.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

The 40,000 or so Issei might beg to differ, although being legally barred from citizenship might have been a hindrance. Ironically, many Nisei had rather poor Japanese proficiency as it was seen as not conducive to assimilation.

:ughh:

God that's humbling. I've literally known about them as well as other immigrants from east and se asia for decades at this point.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Fangz posted:

SS tactics didn't even work in ww2.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
SS "tactics"

I love you

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Ataxerxes posted:

In my opinion if Sabaton needed to do a second song about Finnish war heroes they could have done one about Ilmari Juutilainen. Or general Nenonen, that man was an artillery wizard.

Yeah, I misspoke. I meant to say that the US thought he was useful, and it wasn't that surprising considering what some of his colleagues got up to after the war.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Artillery wizard miscasts "Danger close". Please hand in your character sheets and take a new one off the pile of spares I asked you to prepare.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

It seems I have found this thread at a weird timing.

Lobster God told me about this place when I asked about another threads opinion on Ken Burns Vietnam Documentary series.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
Fine by me, I've got a few years to go yet and my civil war is the cool one with pikes.

The Circle is cool, I didn't know that was a Finnish innovation.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Combat Theory posted:

Lobster God told me about this place when I asked about another threads opinion on Ken Burns Vietnam Documentary series.

no this is pretty typical

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_Dingo

This little thing was pretty good.

The British just seem like they have zero consistency, and that's both their blessing and their curse.

By the way, how do liaison cars/planes work? Basically fax in a faxless age?

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Combat Theory posted:

There was a fairly big discussion of it a few weeks ago, starting around this post. Summary: It's a good intro but is strongly limited by the medium.

Milo and POTUS posted:

:ughh:

God that's humbling. I've literally known about them as well as other immigrants from east and se asia for decades at this point.

Language services were probably the most important contribution of the Japanese American community to the war. One member of my local JACL chapter served as a translator on the Dixie Mission to Mao where, among other things, he danced with Madame Mao at his 21st birthday party.

Don Gato posted:

The book Translating the Rising Sun goes into detail about the US Navy's translator training program, I found it too close to real life to be entertaining since I went through the modern iteration of that program but it is an interesting look at the part of the war that wasn't reported on much since it was so secret.

Also it has a few appearances of some extremely distant relatives of mine, and I literally didn't know that's what they did until I read the book so that was cool to find out. Ironically enough they weren't from the Japanese part of the family.

Cool, I should check that out some time.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

vuk83 posted:

SS tactics didn't even work in ww2.

Yes. They weren't exactly renowned for their tactical acumen; in fact, the regular German army looked at them as brave (or foolhardy) but tactically inept.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 10, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

One member of my local JACL chapter served as a translator on the Dixie Mission to Mao where, among other things, he danced with Madame Mao at his 21st birthday party.

Now that is a rad story. Anyway, wikipedia was surprisingly helpful on this subject and says it was 65 non-japanese americans who were proficient. That in a nation of 132 million. And that's a major language, not something remotely obscure. I bet you could do an effortpost on translators in warfare. Hell you could probably do one on post war translators alone and I'd bet it's the cold war that really got the military and intelligence communities to kick language studies into high gear. Before that I imagine they devoted the most resources into studying languages of nations that were at least plausible we'd be getting into a scrap with, but with proxy conflicts popping off all over the place you'd have to know all kinds of languages and even minority dialects and poo poo so now if the government needs someone who speaks Dhivehi, they've probably got someone on standby.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FrangibleCover posted:

Fine by me, I've got a few years to go yet and my civil war is the cool one with pikes.
none of you knew how to loving use'em and you still don't

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

I mean it is the nature of a civil war to be fought by amateurs. Think of it as method acting :sun:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Nenonen posted:

"The Circle of Fire Correction" sounds like a catchy song title

Ring of Fire Correction

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

HEY GUNS posted:

I mean, technically I'm a Scot. Robert Bruce's army at Bannockburn slaughtered the English with spears. Then the Scottish army were trained by the French and I think some Italians in the very latest methods of hitting people with long sticks and by the time we got to Flodden we were useless and the English won. This not in any way surface level analysis of centuries of tactical developments in the British Isles very definitely demonstrates that the English were good at pikes. Indeed, maybe that's why they were so bad at cavalry, all the good cavalry had been killed in the ECW by incredibly skilled pikemen.

I take absolutely no issue with the idea that the British Army is bad at pikes now, although I will note that the Honourable Artillery Company has a ceremonial company equipped with pikes. The HAC started life as a unit with these newfangled arquebus things, hence the name, and therefore at some point the British Army has reequipped a company from firearms to pikes. I think that's probably relatively unusual.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kemper Boyd posted:

There's a dude who should have been shot for treason.

By who?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FrangibleCover posted:

I mean, technically I'm a Scot. Robert Bruce's army at Bannockburn slaughtered the English with spears. Then the Scottish army were trained by the French and I think some Italians in the very latest methods of hitting people with long sticks and by the time we got to Flodden we were useless and the English won. This not in any way surface level analysis of centuries of tactical developments in the British Isles very definitely demonstrates that the English were good at pikes. Indeed, maybe that's why they were so bad at cavalry, all the good cavalry had been killed in the ECW by incredibly skilled pikemen.

I take absolutely no issue with the idea that the British Army is bad at pikes now, although I will note that the Honourable Artillery Company has a ceremonial company equipped with pikes. The HAC started life as a unit with these newfangled arquebus things, hence the name, and therefore at some point the British Army has reequipped a company from firearms to pikes. I think that's probably relatively unusual.
nah i was just making fun of English reenactors, who are Very Bad

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

HEY GUNS posted:

lol we didn't even kill a million people with our dumb war, a shameful effort

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

lol we didn't even kill a million people with our dumb war, a shameful effort

rupert was the only person who took the thing even halfway seriously and it was a PR nightmare for him. Getting mad at a guy trying to shake a city down for bribery cash, smh

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

HEY GUNS posted:

nah i was just making fun of English reenactors, who are Very Bad

I enjoyed watching the sealed knot playing with cannons when I was very little.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

I enjoyed watching the sealed knot playing with cannons when I was very little.
they dress good but they don't rough it and most of them can't fight

we kick their asses every time brits come to central europe

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

HEY GUNS posted:

they dress good but they don't rough it and most of them can't fight

we kick their asses every time brits come to central europe

Authentic english military experience.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

the virgin pikeman and the chad legionary

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the virgin pikeman and the chad legionary

You mean chad double armed man

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

You mean chad double armed man
the best Terrible Military Idea?????

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Finally finished my new America bombers post

Though like some neverending school assignment I have a sub-section to finish as to how the V-2's "guidance" system worked.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Though like some neverending school assignment I have a sub-section to finish as to how the V-2's "guidance" system worked.

Didn't it just run out of fuel and blow up whatever was underneath it at the time?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Lone Badger posted:

Didn't it just run out of fuel and blow up whatever was underneath it at the time?

The A4 definitely would blow up whatever was beneath it at the time

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
THANK YOU!
loving hell, have none of you seen a mercenary before
https://twitter.com/luke_j_obrien/status/1094774088634195968

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

HEY GUNS posted:

Hey diddle diddle
Send the pikes up the middle
?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

HEY GUNS posted:

THANK YOU!
loving hell, have none of you seen a mercenary before
https://twitter.com/luke_j_obrien/status/1094774088634195968

We call them Private Military Companies now, thank you very much.