Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Caidin posted:

So if the sewer rats were the primary factor in spreading the T-virus all over town why did we never get giant rats enemies back when they were just bigging up animals for you to fight?

Apparently rats are either immune to the T-Virus or just don't mutate in the same way as everything else. The one time we've ever seen a mutated rat was in Outbreak, when they finished off one of the guys in Hunk's squad in the opening movie. There's a model of one in the gallery for that game, but it's just a little weird-looking and not a full-fledged undead monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along

Caidin posted:

So if the sewer rats were the primary factor in spreading the T-virus all over town why did we never get giant rats enemies back when they were just bigging up animals for you to fight?

I guess there were tarantula's in Raccoon City sewers.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

I guess there were tarantula's in Raccoon City sewers.

Rats were eaten by spiders which were eaten by alligators.

It's the circle of living dead.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

codo27 posted:

Playing hunk, almost to the exit. "lol mfers think this is hard?" Of course the main entrance is barred and I get hit 45 times in the library and die in the waiting room.

I'm gonna go all out and try for S+ hc so I can unlock everything except the mini gun. This should be Funinfuriating

Im going to suggest this playthrough if you need help with a route. Dude plays it casually, and pretty much tries to collect mostly everything he can and still ends up with a 2 hr time. Other speedruns are ok, but a lot of them take risks that you don't need to take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKRNdy9k2f8

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Apparently rats are either immune to the T-Virus or just don't mutate in the same way as everything else. The one time we've ever seen a mutated rat was in Outbreak, when they finished off one of the guys in Hunk's squad in the opening movie. There's a model of one in the gallery for that game, but it's just a little weird-looking and not a full-fledged undead monster.

They all wandered over to Parasite Eve.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

ImpAtom posted:

They all wandered over to Parasite Eve.

The only thing more horrifying than Mr. X and G-Birkin is The 3rd Birthday.

RE7 feels sparse next to RE2. One campaign with 3 difficulties, fewer enemy types, less complex levels, and unskippable cutscenes eat up a chunk of the brief runtime.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 10, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RE5 is good, RE6 is less good because it’s bloated with too much content.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

RE5 is a solid game that trips a lot, RE6 is a game that trips with some solid moments

Neither are bad, at all, they're worse than just being bad, they're middling with signs of being great on the level of 4/7/2RE without actually getting there, with the saving gameplay grace of either being mercenaries and decent co-op

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Inspector Gesicht posted:

RE7 feels sparse next to RE2. One campaign with 3 difficulties, fewer enemy types, less complex levels, and unskippable cutscenes eat up a chunk of the brief runtime.

RE7 has a really tight focus as a game. The main enemies are those annoying black-goo things, you’re back in a spooky Resident, and it keeps the weird keys that made the original one great. But by being a lot tighter with it’s storytelling the enemy characters actually had a bit more going for them. They were dynamic, challenging and fun to beat. It also shifted the series into first person and managed to still feel like a RE game, which is hugely impressive.

It can feel a bit sparse but I find when I sit back and look at it as a whole it’s got some great moments and still feels like an RE game :D

RE2 can feel a bit sparse if compared to the first Resident Evil Remake. Speed running RE2 only takes 2 hours without pushing THAT hard (I can do that and I’m not very good). Whilst I tried to speed run REmake as Jill on Hard and it took just under 5 (it was on hard, and as I said I’m not very good!) RE7 also feels sparse without the backtracking. RE2 has some backtracking, REmake has a LOT of it (especially as Chris!) and RE7 comparatively doesn’t have that much (still enough to class as an RE game though!)

Sorry - bit of a rant. They are completely different and very similar at the same time. The vision for RE2make and RE7 are completely different though. Both fantastic horror games.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Sometimes I think people forget how much the fixed RE6 after it launched. Because the game in it's launch state was awful. I dont want to say that its completely revisionism that people are looking at it more fondly.

RE5 will always be my favorite of the over the shoulder Resident Evils. It really kicks into high gear once you get to the lab.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Playin' through Tofu Survivor and my little guy did this move where he shoves the zombie off him without taking damage.

Is that something the player can normally do or can only soyboys?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

blackguy32 posted:

Sometimes I think people forget how much the fixed RE6 after it launched. Because the game in it's launch state was awful.
I vaguely remember this being a thing, but have completely forgotten just how bad it's launch state actually was, because I played it so briefly then compared to some 280 hours (thanks Mercenaries!) since buying it myself mid/late 2013. Was it crippled camera controls or something?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I vaguely remember this being a thing, but have completely forgotten just how bad it's launch state actually was, because I played it so briefly then compared to some 280 hours (thanks Mercenaries!) since buying it myself mid/late 2013. Was it crippled camera controls or something?

There was no QTE assist. Ada was locked from the start. The special agent hunt thing was locked until you beat the game, I think they added a FOV option or pulled the FOV back, and allowed you to select more options when starting a session.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Playin' through Tofu Survivor and my little guy did this move where he shoves the zombie off him without taking damage.

Is that something the player can normally do or can only soyboys?

Anyone can do it but it's kind of unclear how. It seems to be done by moving diagonally away from the zombie (or toward it?) when it goes to grab you, but there's no way to do it reliably or on purpose that people have discovered.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

RE6 is good, it's just really bad

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Kaubocks posted:

RE6 is good, it's just really bad

RE6 has really good fundamentals, but trips over its own dick so often that it almost feels deliberate. If it was just a series of monster arenas, like the Mercenaries mode with a plot attached, people would remember it a lot more fondly.

RE5's biggest problems are not really being an improvement on RE4, and the AI partner being a pain in the rear end until you figure out how best to exploit it.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Maybe people would be more forgiving of 6 if it weren’t a mainline game..?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That didn’t help dead aim.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

blackguy32 posted:

There was no QTE assist. Ada was locked from the start. The special agent hunt thing was locked until you beat the game, I think they added a FOV option or pulled the FOV back, and allowed you to select more options when starting a session.

True, initially the RE6 protagonist took up 1/3rd of the screen

Past RE games usually went through several iterations, reaching 70% completion before tossing everything out and starting over. In RE6 this didn't happen, I think they included all the content they wound up making.

The ways in which it's bad is fascinating, each individual element is super-polished, but they're all assembled together in such a haphazard way. The mechanics are functionally sound, but there was a bunch of new dodge controls that don't get introduced outside of loading screen tooltips that you might not ever see. All the campaigns dump you into a swarm of enemies as your first encounter expecting to know about the new combat, along with a full range of weapons. Also splitting the game into 4 non-linear campaigns botches the pacing. In a typical series of stages the game should ramp-up in difficulty to match the players' improving skill. RE 4 and RE5 started you off fighting simple enemies and introduced stronger ones towards the end. But all the RE6 campaigns have their own mini-arcs, making experienced players bored in the early stages of the 3rd and 4th campaigns.

The enemy designs were also kind of bad, they behaved unpredictably and don't always telegraph when and how they're taking damage. At least the zombies didn't

The AI partners are invincible, as a band-aid solution to the fact that they'd be impossible to keep alive, which encourages you to let them tank everything, which is counter-intuitive for a combat system in which you're supposed to engage in way more melee to be effective. The shooting is really just supposed to compliment and enable constantly punching things, but this is poorly conveyed.

There's a really good 3rd-person shooter buried under a lot of crap

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wish RE2make had a raid mode or mercs mode.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

RE6 and its problems can be summed up neatly with the fact that they didn't stick to the principals of Keep It Simple Stupid. RE2 did and it feels incredibly polished. RE6 just threw every loving thing into the too-many-cooks pot. It was all well made, all very well funded and glossed, but it had no cohesion so none of it feels satisfying.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I remember enjoying RE5 and both revelations games perfectly fine even if they didn't stand out and shine like RE2, 4 and 7. I recall enjoying CV pretty well too but that may be just because I had a Dreamcast and there were only like 5 or 6 good games for it at the time. I never played zero and the other ones people say sucked. I don;t care how good any remake is moving forward but I just can not do tank controls and fixed cameras anymore :corsair:

RE6 was the only one in the series I tried where I just quit on it and stopped playing after the 3rd or 4th QTE

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Caidin posted:

You'll notice mammals don't grow huge generally. Dogs stay the same as do the monkeys in REZero. Humans also stay the same size obviously.

There are rare exceptions like Tyrants or the Giant Bat in Zero but ov erall this rule seems to hold true.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

You'll notice mammals don't grow huge generally. Dogs stay the same as do the monkeys in REZero. Humans also stay the same size obviously.

There are rare exceptions like Tyrants or the Giant Bat in Zero but ov erall this rule seems to hold true.

There really are no rules. The T-Virus is magical plot zombie liquid and nothing about it has ever been particularly consistent. It's not airborne, except when it is; it's spread by bites, except when it isn't; sometimes it doesn't make giant animals, but then a designer had an idea, so now it does.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Black August posted:

It is 300% believable nowadays that a megacorp owned and ran city with its hottest project happening out of it would end up a dead loving mess with no quarantine and everyone slaughtered because the megacorp went to the furthest lengths possible to shut down bad press and let the situation get murderously out of control well past the point of no return, and that some yokels on a back road could cruise right in oblivious

I don't know how much of the old canon is still in effect, but in the original timeline there actually was a quarantine and even some chance of keeping things under control until Umbrella sabotaged the gently caress out of everything. The RPD were wiped out more by their own boss than by the zombies, the mercenaries sent in to evacuate civilians were led into traps to provide combat data, and the Special Forces troops sent in by the US military had at least five of Mr. X sicced on them. The original explanation for why people were able to just cruise on in to the city was that there had been a blockade, but everyone who would have been manning it was either dead or pulled away to reinforce units elsewhere.

That's one of my favorite things about Resident Evil as compared to other zombie media, honestly - it's a zombie story but not a zombie apocalypse, and as scary as the zombies are they wouldn't actually be a serious threat on their own. The outbreak totally could have been contained, and the city could have been saved, if a bunch of corporate suits hadn't spent the duration of the crisis going around ruining everything.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LMAO @ the library hack the speedrunners are using to teleport to the club key and never trigger Mr. X.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Wanderer posted:

There really are no rules. The T-Virus is magical plot zombie liquid and nothing about it has ever been particularly consistent. It's not airborne, except when it is; it's spread by bites, except when it isn't; sometimes it doesn't make giant animals, but then a designer had an idea, so now it does.

I actually like that bit of inconsistency for horror, going on the idea that the T-Virus is some unstable genetic biosoup that is barely finished and has WILDLY variable results from individual to individual.

Mister Bates posted:

That's one of my favorite things about Resident Evil as compared to other zombie media, honestly - it's a zombie story but not a zombie apocalypse, and as scary as the zombies are they wouldn't actually be a serious threat on their own. The outbreak totally could have been contained, and the city could have been saved, if a bunch of corporate suits hadn't spent the duration of the crisis going around ruining everything.

Yeah. I'm all for a localized apocalypse that's easy to contain with extreme measures, and it's extremely relatable these days to buy the idea of "Corporation so greedy and loving stupid that it annihilates an entire city because of sloppy protocols and total lack of any sane oversight" - you don't even need the excuse that Umbrella intentionally sabotaged anything! You can just say their communication was so slow, negligible, and image/money focused that they doomed the situation in the most impersonal and numbers-blinded way possible.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
My only real problem with RE6 was that it was so loving long. There are parts I didn't like, parts I did like I'm sure. Somewhere in the 30-40 hours of game was 10 hours I'm sure I thought were awesome even. To be fair I quit like 25 hours in and wrapped up the rest after like a two-year gap.

I need to convince my buddy to co-op it. He can play on easy, I can play on hard and use my infinite weapons on wandering meatshields.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I wonder what they are going to do with Nikolai if they even are going to use him ever again.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

This minigun is soooooo cathartic.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Mister Bates posted:

Yeah, one of the things about RE in general that's still standing out now, after the zombie subgenre has had close to a decade of near-total media saturation, is that it's still very much a story about hope, protection, recovery, and doing the right thing, even when and sometimes especially when it's the dumbest thing the protagonists could possibly do. In RE2make in particular, Claire has literally no reason to help Sherry except that she dares to give a poo poo, and in a lot of other zombie stories, that would've ended with one or both of them getting killed.

Black August posted:

Yeah. I'm all for a localized apocalypse that's easy to contain with extreme measures, and it's extremely relatable these days to buy the idea of "Corporation so greedy and loving stupid that it annihilates an entire city because of sloppy protocols and total lack of any sane oversight" - you don't even need the excuse that Umbrella intentionally sabotaged anything! You can just say their communication was so slow, negligible, and image/money focused that they doomed the situation in the most impersonal and numbers-blinded way possible.

It's even better than that, really. Umbrella didn't intentionally sabotage anything. They were just so heavily reliant upon greed and profit motives that it stabbed the company directly in the rear end.

They empowered Irons by giving him enough money to conceal his psychopathy behind a wall of charity and privilege, which gets a lot of innocent people killed when Irons snaps. They hired expendable mercenaries to rescue their VIPs and the occasional civilian in RE3, but didn't take the time to tell those mercenaries what they were actually up against, so most of them get killed and one of the survivors tries to take out the rest in order to inflate his paycheck. Umbrella was trying to stop the destruction of Raccoon City right up until the end, but apparently found that "city-wide zombie outbreak" was the hard stop to its financial influence.

Hell, the whole RE2make story happens because of intellectual property rights to the G-Virus, because William apparently didn't notice the "we own your rear end" clause in his contract.

I've never been sure how much of the overarching story of the series has specifically been a dark commentary on capitalism and particularly corporate ethics, but there's a lot of it there if you look. RE0 deserves its bad reputation, but it does have a genuinely creepy bit in it that isn't about giant bugs or zombies, but instead, it's when an automated loudspeaker plays a loyalty oath, taken by trainees towards Umbrella. It sounds loving crazy at first, but we're not that far out from the age of the company store, so Umbrella deliberately trying to solicit fanatical devotion from its employees isn't really that far of a leap.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I’m playing through Chris’ campaign in 6 and it’s such a loud mess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

LMAO @ the library hack the speedrunners are using to teleport to the club key and never trigger Mr. X.

What is it?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

sponges posted:

I’m playing through Chris’ campaign in 6 and it’s such a loud mess.

Yeah, the behind-the-scenes story on that is that Capcom was deep in the red after the 2011 earthquake, so they deliberately shoved Chris's campaign in and tried to make it as appealing to the military-shooter, tacticool Call of Duty crowd as they could. Even for a Resident Evil game, its story makes very little sense.

ImpAtom posted:

What is it?

You let a crawler zombie bite you on the library steps. If you do it in just the right way, your character kicks free of the grab and ends up glitching through the map, so you can just run around outside the level boundary and grab the club key off the boiler room wall without going through any of the intervening steps.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I read the first Walking Dead omnibus and it was a complete waste of 50 bucks. Around issue 20 the loving annoying excuse of a main-character goes off on a completely unoriginal speech which he sums up with "Don't you get it, MAN is the real monster!".

There have been 160 issues since then so I don't know what other points they could delve into. The main cast has been killed off twice since then and the comic just potters on endlessly without resolution, to cynically provide fodder for the TV show.

Resident Evil feels positively wholesome in comparison. There are clear good guys and bad guys and all the games have resolutions, cliffhangers notwithstanding The happy ending to RE7 is loving cheesy but I wouldn't have it any other way. The conclusion I get from Zombie fiction is that dealing with Darkness is fine, but wallowing in Cynicism will burn audiences out sooner or later. For example Batman V Superman.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

What is it?

Short version: get locked in an animation on the stairs that pulls you through the wall so you can walk around the out-of-bounds area to access locked areas.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

https://twitter.com/WingfieldGareth/status/1094741890187046915

I love the little spin he does.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I read the first Walking Dead omnibus and it was a complete waste of 50 bucks. Around issue 20 the loving annoying excuse of a main-character goes off on a completely unoriginal speech which he sums up with "Don't you get it, MAN is the real monster!".

There have been 160 issues since then so I don't know what other points they could delve into. The main cast has been killed off twice since then and the comic just potters on endlessly without resolution, to cynically provide fodder for the TV show.

Resident Evil feels positively wholesome in comparison. There are clear good guys and bad guys and all the games have resolutions, cliffhangers notwithstanding The happy ending to RE7 is loving cheesy but I wouldn't have it any other way. The conclusion I get from Zombie fiction is that dealing with Darkness is fine, but wallowing in Cynicism will burn audiences out sooner or later. For example Batman V Superman.
The first season of the Telltale Walking Dead game did a great balance of being bleak but still having enough humanity and always having some sort of the light at the end of the tunnel that it didn't wallow in cheap nihilism like its source material and it made the game emotionally powerful and far superior to the comic and show because of it.

Of course Telltale ran that instantly into the ground with Season 2 though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I wish RE2make had a raid mode or mercs mode.

Same here but the expanded 4th survivor stuff is pretty rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Andrigaar posted:

My only real problem with RE6 was that it was so loving long. There are parts I didn't like, parts I did like I'm sure. Somewhere in the 30-40 hours of game was 10 hours I'm sure I thought were awesome even. To be fair I quit like 25 hours in and wrapped up the rest after like a two-year gap.

The thing I liked about the original RE is that it takes place in one interconnected location and at any time it feels like you could point in the direction of any other area you had been at before.

RE2 and RE3 were pretty good about that as well with the exception of the tram and trolly rides.

CV is where things started to go off the rails with the Antarctica base being such a shift from the first half of the game, something which was repeated again with the prison island in RE 4.

RE 5 and 6 were just messes with the characters jumping into a vehicle of some kind and taking off to a new area every chapter.