Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

He's likely talking about the air-walking glitch where a downed zombie grabs you from behind while youre on the little landing of the stairs in the library, which causes the game to break until you touch the trigger for the floor breaking which throws you out of the map. Then they just run around in the out of bounds area until they find the club key and take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Start at 13:30 to see the trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJqqlyUFp4Q

Kill the fat zombie with the insane health pool then do this.

e: also, if you keep watching, if you do this you can never go to the exterior stairs with fence you meet Claire at /helicopter crash. The game shits itself inside out.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 11, 2019

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

e: also, if you keep watching, if you do this you can never go to the exterior stairs with fence you meet Claire at /helicopter crash. The game shits itself inside out.

Man, people are seriously creative to work out these glitches! Well worth a watch :D

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

0 rows returned posted:

He's likely talking about the air-walking glitch where a downed zombie grabs you from behind while youre on the little landing of the stairs in the library, which causes the game to break until you touch the trigger for the floor breaking which throws you out of the map. Then they just run around in the out of bounds area until they find the club key and take it.

As far as speed runs go, what's it called when they don't use this? Is it just a glitchless run?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Agoat posted:

As far as speed runs go, what's it called when they don't use this? Is it just a glitchless run?

Yeah usually just glitchless. It's cool to see this sort of thing in action though.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm glad they actually got a black man to voice Marvin for the remake

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

No kidding. I was watching clips of the old RE2 yesterday and that VA is white as... Conan O’Brien..?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

Marvin was great in this game, felt really bad for him. Hope if they do another round of these ghost survivors later on in the year and they are "What ifs" where people who died in the main game go on to survive then we get to play as him and escape the RPD.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I really like how differently Marvin acts towards Claire and Leon. Like with Leon he can pull rank because he's the greenest rookie and even pulls a loving gun on him to get him to go, but to Claire he's really respectful and appeals to... I don't know, her more sentimental side? Playing on seeing her brother again, asking that she go for Marvin's request. It was a really neat touch that Capcom didn't have to do.

... Then I shot his feet with a rocket launcher and watched him ragdoll over the lobby :v:

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I let Marvin “live”

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I'm the helicopter pilot just standing there in a T-pose.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Today i watched an anime girl throw away a set of window boards to make room for the statue's arm...instead of the useless key that she literally just read the tutorial prompt about and i've never been so uselessly mad at someone playing a video game in my life

Prygelknabe
Mar 31, 2009

He had a baseball bat, and I was tied to a chair. Pissing him off was the smart thing to do.

a kitten posted:

Today i watched an anime girl throw away a set of window boards to make room for the statue's arm...instead of the useless key that she literally just read the tutorial prompt about and i've never been so uselessly mad at someone playing a video game in my life

Double-foul if she already had the red book in her inventory, as you can combine the items directly :downs:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DeadButDelicious posted:

I really like how differently Marvin acts towards Claire and Leon. Like with Leon he can pull rank because he's the greenest rookie and even pulls a loving gun on him to get him to go, but to Claire he's really respectful and appeals to... I don't know, her more sentimental side? Playing on seeing her brother again, asking that she go for Marvin's request. It was a really neat touch that Capcom didn't have to do.

... Then I shot his feet with a rocket launcher and watched him ragdoll over the lobby :v:

the smaller touches like Leon's "this is why I wanted to do this" moment with Kendo or Claire's "because I care" go a long way towards showing why the two of them are probably the most well-liked of the RE protagonists. Chris and Jill never really had many moments like that; most of RE1 is very vanilla with character beats besides with Barry and RE5's charisma budget is spent on Wesker. They're just small moments mind you but I always felt Leon and Claire were humanized and easier to relate to through RE4/Rev2.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

If I recall right the crocodile part was one of the last things added to the game, Capcom was surprised by the amount of requests for it late in development.

Interviews with the producers of the game seemed weirdly obsessed with everything looking realistic and they thought the gator would be ridiculous and clash with the game's tone this time, and wanted to just cut it. Then they knew the fans would be disappointed if it was gone completely so they figured out a way to make it work. Similarly with the Ivy monsters, the team wanted to cut them but the director insisted that they be included, and they were re-designed to look less "cute" than in the original.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Watch 50:45. Gonna use this guide and the glitch to unlock poo poo and I wont feel one bit bad about it all for this reason

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MiddleOne posted:

Police station is better, but it has too few toilets.
Everyone assumed it was simply his weird sense of humor, but Irons was deadly serious when he suggested they just waffle stomp in the shower room.

MiddleOne posted:

RE2 Remake lab is so ridiculous in visual design. Sink-hole or not, an underground superstructure of this size would require thousands of employees and billions of dollars to build, all to have 2 small labs and a very tiny living quarters.

Wanderer posted:

Looking around it, there's absolutely no way that the two small labs and the security room are the entirety of the usable structure. I'd go so far as to say that they're probably hedging some bets, because there's a lot of that structure that you never have any reason to visit.
Yeah, even what they do show you makes it clear that it's not the full extent of the structure. I wouldn't have minded though if they had added more barricades/security shutters/permanently locked doors to show that the lab area you visit is only a small part of the overall complex. Could even give the player a view into other levels of the structure as the elevator goes down - maybe show Umbrella survivors getting attacked by their creations as they make a run for it after the whole self-destruct sequence starts.

As for the size of it, I had a thought - Umbrella could have sold the whole project as some sort of geothermal power plant, with waste heat being generously donated to the city through a district heating system. The latter as a cover for creating a closed Umbrella-run test subject/hazardous waste transportation system. Like, how do they explain all the hazardous waste crated by a G-experiment? Umbrella must have some world-class bullshitters on call.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

DeadButDelicious posted:

Yeah usually just glitchless. It's cool to see this sort of thing in action though.

Oh for sure. I want to get good times but I'm torn on using this trick, I'm assuming it'll get patched and I'd hate to set a time that I'll be unable to beat one day.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DLC Inc posted:

the smaller touches like Leon's "this is why I wanted to do this" moment with Kendo or Claire's "because I care" go a long way towards showing why the two of them are probably the most well-liked of the RE protagonists. Chris and Jill never really had many moments like that; most of RE1 is very vanilla with character beats besides with Barry and RE5's charisma budget is spent on Wesker. They're just small moments mind you but I always felt Leon and Claire were humanized and easier to relate to through RE4/Rev2.

Leon is a doofus but he's a doofus who is doing his best for all the right reasons. It's what makes his being lame endearing.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Also realized that I've been doing the safes backwards this whole time. I start counterclockwise. (it still works)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPs1jb5Dgro

Vakal
May 11, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

Leon's section in RE 6 would have been so much better if instead of just having Leon and Helena wander around the town aimlessly, they instead stumbled into a small police station with a few young police officers that was currently under siege by zombies.

Helena would be all "But.. but my sister! :qq: " and Leon would be all "Listen lady, I'm not letting this poo poo go down a second time." before whipping the remaining cops into a defensive force and showing them why he's named Leon Suplex Kennedy.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Giving each returning character a chance to have a powerful arc related to their previous exploits would’ve been a much more solid format for RE6 to take. It’d make sense with brooding drunk Chris and his new partner, and even with Ada having to confront a life of misdirection, double-crossing, and keeping company with terrorists when someone claims her identity to commit bioterrorism.

It sort of already exists baked-in to the game. Sherry has to confront what her father’s legacy is doing in the third world, Leon has Raccoon part 2. But instead the focus is on Helena and fake Ada and the illuminati dude’s wacky clone plot. I do think Simmons owns bones as a character though and wish he could come back.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

one thing they really hammer home in this game, Umbrella is absolutely a loving horrid company and the files you find support that. The one about 1 subject forced to kill his partner was awful but the orphanage section alone really cements Umbrella as monstrous. This wasn't just "we never meant for this to happen" it's straight up mad scientist crimes against humanity.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Remember this?

They put it in the game lol. Check the bottom right.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

man nurse posted:

Remember this?

They put it in the game lol. Check the bottom right.

That's fuckin' awesome.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Agoat posted:

No OOB (out of bounds) usually for something like this

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

DLC Inc posted:

one thing they really hammer home in this game, Umbrella is absolutely a loving horrid company and the files you find support that. The one about 1 subject forced to kill his partner was awful but the orphanage section alone really cements Umbrella as monstrous. This wasn't just "we never meant for this to happen" it's straight up mad scientist crimes against humanity.

The best one was when they gave a test subject the G virus and noted "giving them the T virus did not help with their brain deteriorating". Umbrella literally is just trying whatever. Thankfully no electric powers we mentioned

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

He actually does go to the exterior stairs because he needs the bolt cutter.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Hungry posted:

REmake 2 engendered enough nostalgia to encourage a grave mistake: I dug out an ancient copy of the RE1 novelisation and discovered it is so much worse than I ever could have imagined.

Video game novels are bad and trashy at the best of times, but this manages to be downright boring. It opens with three chapters of Alpha Team having meetings.

S.D Perry is a hero and I'm friends with her on twitter because I keep trying to give her ideas for a Resident Evil 4 novelization.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Momomo posted:

The best one was when they gave a test subject the G virus and noted "giving them the T virus did not help with their brain deteriorating". Umbrella literally is just trying whatever. Thankfully no electric powers we mentioned

Don't forget in CV that Umbrella owns and operates an island concentration camp where they stick anyone that is a possible nuisance to them.

I'm not a huge proponent of a CV remake, but if they ever did there is a lot of potential there for some really hosed up stuff if they wanted to go really dark.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Momomo posted:

Wasn't it that the person had been given the T-virus previously, and proven themselves immune, so Umbrella figured maybe they'd also be immune to the brain-deteriorating effects of the G-virus?

Vakal posted:

Don't forget in CV that Umbrella owns and operates an island concentration camp where they stick anyone that is a possible nuisance to them.

I'm not a huge proponent of a CV remake, but if they ever did there is a lot of potential there for some really hosed up stuff if they wanted to go really dark.
It's not even like it'd be a huge stretch from a realism perspective. Island concentration camps are all the rage in the real world, I'm sure Umbrella could have a dummy corporation that offered to run one of those so cheaply that any government would be nuts not to take them up on the offer, and then not ask any questions ever about what goes on there. Hell, they'd probably help them cover it up, to not upset stock holders.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 11, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

DLC Inc posted:

Oh, it's even worse than you think!

https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Tom%27s_Diary

https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Letter_from_the_Director

https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Research_Diary

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Anonymous Robot posted:

Giving each returning character a chance to have a powerful arc related to their previous exploits would’ve been a much more solid format for RE6 to take. It’d make sense with brooding drunk Chris and his new partner, and even with Ada having to confront a life of misdirection, double-crossing, and keeping company with terrorists when someone claims her identity to commit bioterrorism.

It sort of already exists baked-in to the game. Sherry has to confront what her father’s legacy is doing in the third world, Leon has Raccoon part 2. But instead the focus is on Helena and fake Ada and the illuminati dude’s wacky clone plot. I do think Simmons owns bones as a character though and wish he could come back.

I think part of what makes Resident Evil endearing is how silly it is. The campness of RE4, how the characters talk about the “G-virus” and deliver crazy lines of dialogue completely straight faced. It’s part of the charm and makes them feel a bit lighter IMHO. They are terrifying, brilliant survival horror games - but the moments of light relief when awful dialogue is delivered with the gusto and enthusiasm of a college student doing his first Shakespeare... it helps make that tension slightly lighter.

RE6 felt like it took the crazy to new levels where it wasn’t as fun or as camp anymore. I love the characters still (they’re classic) but when it takes itself too seriously it’s not as much fun.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

I just made the subject 628 connection :aaa:

Admittedly I don't really read all the files thoroughly since I'm more about the zombie killin.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Old Grasshopper posted:

I think part of what makes Resident Evil endearing is how silly it is. The campness of RE4, how the characters talk about the “G-virus” and deliver crazy lines of dialogue completely straight faced. It’s part of the charm and makes them feel a bit lighter IMHO. They are terrifying, brilliant survival horror games - but the moments of light relief when awful dialogue is delivered with the gusto and enthusiasm of a college student doing his first Shakespeare... it helps make that tension slightly lighter.

RE6 felt like it took the crazy to new levels where it wasn’t as fun or as camp anymore. I love the characters still (they’re classic) but when it takes itself too seriously it’s not as much fun.

Games can be wild as hell and have actual dramatic themes though. RE 5 is (though I’m definitely not going to say there isn’t a lot of racist imagery in the game,) while incredibly silly, consistently focused on the legacy of colonialism in Africa.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Ahahahaha Jesus Christ Umbrella. I read all these files my first time through but didn't make the connection.

Also never forget Survivor telling us that Tyrants are made by tearing out the brain stems of teenagers going through puberty or whatever, and that it has to be done with them awake because the fear juices are better that way.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Anonymous Robot posted:

Games can be wild as hell and have actual dramatic themes though.
I think a stronger example of this than RE5 would be the new Wolfenstein games.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

He actually does go to the exterior stairs because he needs the bolt cutter.

could you use that glitch to get across the stairs into the 3rd floor by the clocktower?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Momomo posted:

Ahahahaha Jesus Christ Umbrella. I read all these files my first time through but didn't make the connection.

Also never forget Survivor telling us that Tyrants are made by tearing out the brain stems of teenagers going through puberty or whatever, and that it has to be done with them awake because the fear juices are better that way.

lol Qanon literally took the idea of adrenachrome from Resident Evil's method of creating Tyrants via beta hetero seratonin.