Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beats
Oct 21, 2010

TheFluff posted:

Getting dunked by some ambushing nerds isn't fun

TheFluff posted:

Sneaking around and occasionally getting the drop on someone is tense and interesting

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Krogort posted:

I guess Respawn folks made a good pitch to sell their idea to the board. It must not have been easy, big companies like that don't like such radical strategic change.
It sounds like they had to do a lot of convincing the suits. From a Game Informer interview conducted at the pre-launch press event:

Drew McCoy posted:

Not to be throwing EA under the bus, but this wasn’t the game they were expecting. I had to go to executives, show it to them, and explain it and... not convince but more, "Hey, trust us! This is the thing you want out of us."

As a corporation, they can only quantify based on past data and they’ve never done anything like this before. There’s a giant rainbow question mark over revenue projections for this game. They’re like, "We don’t know! We can’t predict." This is a game where we had to say, "This is what we want to do. Help us get there."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Like most games the key to having fun and winning is making the other guy hate life and lose.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
So I play exclusively with friends and sometimes they can be super frustrating to play with because a few of them are super poor at communicating and tend to go off on their own without saying anything. Obviously, I can't control what they say or do and I'm trying to be patient with them and suggest what they could do differently next time, but it feels like it's going to be an uphill battle. What can I do myself to help independently of my teammates, besides improving shooting and such. I've started playing Gibraltar because his shield is very good at keeping people from running away, but he's not a favorite hero of mine by any means.

Also my friends always want to drop hot but, frankly, they don't have the gunslinging skill to take those fights. So they want to play passively after landing hot then get pushed on by aggressive squads and get picked off. It's extremely frustrating. I'd be perfectly fine dropping far and playing the circle but that rarely happens.

Edit: I will say one bad habit I need to quash is using the pings as a crutch. I've caught myself calling too generally or saying they're right there assuming people always will see my pings.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 11, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I am still trying to like this game, but I just cannot get to a point where I like the gameplay. It's super frustrating because the other people I play with seem to like it so I'm trying to break through and warm up to it, but almost everything about it just feels bad to me.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

:laffo:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Tried the shotgun pistol in a fight for the first time (for lack of better options) and holy crap it really is as garbage as everyone says. You may as well just magdump then switch to fists for all the difference it is going to make in a scrap

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Not trying to spark witch hunts here or cry wolf or whateer, but I think I played a game with a random squad mate who was hacking. Won a game last night where one of my squad mates disconnected early so it was me and one other dude. At one point we were fighting in Skull Town and I got bannered in one of the building hallways. So I'm watching my lone teammate as he opens the door to the hallway where I got murked. His mouse suddenly snapped to a spot blocked by the door and he fired a few rounds into it. Then he crouched and walked through the door. The enemy was basically rushing straight at him and jumped in the air. This dude snapped to the guys head and tracked him through the air, putting rounds into him and downed the guy by the time he landed. I know some people are insanely good at FPS mechanics, but from what I've seen of streamers and just playing the game religiously all week, it's not easy to track people who are jumping around, much less someone who is right in your face practically jumping over you. At the end of the game he had 11 kills. I'd like to think he was just really good or channeled his inner god-mode, but when I saw that play I immediately was suspicious.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Herstory Begins Now posted:

As someone who won 6 or 7 games total today, including a couple with matchmade team mates, yeah this is the answer. Just get practice and learn the game and the wins and mechanics will come.

A lot of people lose because they lose the initiative and then get forced into bad situations. Always be attacking something and you'll force others to react to you. When you force them to react, you force them to make decisions, of which a certain percent will be flawed. Basically by being aggressive you can force errors in their play and you can determine the circumstances of each fight.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I really appreciate reading this kind of BR tactics/psychology stuff from you + others. Keep posting it if you’re interested and have more to say. For a long time I hated BR because I was always super conservative and timid. It made the genre very stressful and unpleasant to play. As soon as Apex Legends gently pushed me towards engaging more often the genre opened up. What you said about forcing decisions is really true. When it’s just me reacting to others all the stress is placed on me. If I add in some aggression or at least a good counter attack we’re closer to a level playing field. And of course it’s all about experience.

This isn't Apex but this video demonstrates what we're talking about well. Despite being solo against multiple other squads I manage to come out on top because I push against squads when opportunities present themselves and then back off once I no longer control the initiative. You'll notice almost all of my kills here are due to me being patient and hitting the enemies when they're in a tight spot while also backing off as soon as it becomes a 'fair fight'. Don't fight fair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RqCwauvzNI

orange sky
May 7, 2007

The lobby music has a section that's just like the intro to right here, right now

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

kung fu jive posted:

Not trying to spark witch hunts here or cry wolf or whateer, but I think I played a game with a random squad mate who was hacking. Won a game last night where one of my squad mates disconnected early so it was me and one other dude. At one point we were fighting in Skull Town and I got bannered in one of the building hallways. So I'm watching my lone teammate as he opens the door to the hallway where I got murked. His mouse suddenly snapped to a spot blocked by the door and he fired a few rounds into it. Then he crouched and walked through the door. The enemy was basically rushing straight at him and jumped in the air. This dude snapped to the guys head and tracked him through the air, putting rounds into him and downed the guy by the time he landed. I know some people are insanely good at FPS mechanics, but from what I've seen of streamers and just playing the game religiously all week, it's not easy to track people who are jumping around, much less someone who is right in your face practically jumping over you. At the end of the game he had 11 kills. I'd like to think he was just really good or channeled his inner god-mode, but when I saw that play I immediately was suspicious.

I mean, it's highly likely the guy was hacking then. You don't need to go to bat for the guy defending him, just report him (if you can? I haven't looked) and move on.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Tried the shotgun pistol in a fight for the first time (for lack of better options) and holy crap it really is as garbage as everyone says. You may as well just magdump then switch to fists for all the difference it is going to make in a scrap

I ping it for my teammates it every time I find one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

kung fu jive posted:

I actually ran into exactly this the other day myself with my own pubbie team mate. And on PS4 where I'd generally think "oh great a XIM user" and not assume outright hacking, but after watching him play almost the whole round his aim seemed completely loving implausible. He's just instantly snap to every single shot and land every one. At one point I noticed he snapped right to someone before he ever saw them, when they were underneath him behind a rock. when he cleared the rock he was already tageting them and killed them instantly. I didn't stick around for the whole game but when I dropped about 75% of the way though, he was at 17 kills. I should have reported him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hot Diggity! posted:

Game is fun but man sometimes it can be oddly hard to find a gun

Also anyone think the ttk is a bit too high? Especially with shields it can take forever to down a single guy

yeah my only complaint is the TTK is a little on the high side. i prefer it to the low TTK in pubg though.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

tweet my meat posted:

I like that sniping is basically just a setup phase for the actual close to midrange fight

it is an extremely nice change of pace from PUBG where sniping is "lol you died instantly from someone you had a 1% chance of seeing, gently caress off"

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

That's very helpful, thank you.

Are there any trusty cheat sheets of weapons and what they do / their range out there that you guys would recommend?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah my only complaint is the TTK is a little on the high side. i prefer it to the low TTK in pubg though.

Ttk is a lot lower if you're consistently landing shots/headshots. Lowering ttk would be a huge mistake.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

orange sky posted:

The lobby music has a section that's just like the intro to right here, right now

It drives me fuckin insane

they should get fatboy slim to score this game

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Cicadalek posted:

It drives me fuckin insane

they should get fatboy slim to score this game

That'd be fitting because becoming the kill leader makes me feel like Christopher Walken from Weapon of Choice.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Anyone been getting more crashes than usual today?

I've had 2 CTD and 1 kick back to the party screen today already. Also got the notification in game twice that says "Party Leader Has Quit" even though we were all still playing in the match. From Monday to Sunday last week I maybe got 1 CTD total.

G1ZM0
Jun 20, 2002

So there's a dupe bug for health, shields and ultimate accelerator. Supposedly it works for grenades too, but I didn't see that.

Oh well it was fun while it lasted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPlzjKOfQpk

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

orange sky posted:

I realised this too and really just want that song to play instead.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

G1ZM0 posted:

So there's a dupe bug for health, shields and ultimate accelerator. Supposedly it works for grenades too, but I didn't see that.

Oh well it was fun while it lasted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPlzjKOfQpk

It'll probably get patched the same day Respawn becomes aware of it.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Bloodhound's passive actually got us a free kill (and later his two mates) :eek:

Not the most exciting clip ever but drat if it wasn't cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzws26k34QQ

omg what is it with PC gamers using fisheye lens view, it’s in almost every clip now.

how can you play like that, I mean surely in 2019 there must be some way for engines or graphics cards to widen FOV without causing this gross effect.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

orange sky posted:

oh thank god i'm not the only one who hears it

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Fun Times! posted:

Leveled up and got two banner poses for mirage and caustic, legends that I don't have and don't really want. That was pretty lame

ugh i don't like my free poo poo in the free to play game

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

veni veni veni posted:

I actually ran into exactly this the other day myself with my own pubbie team mate. And on PS4 where I'd generally think "oh great a XIM user" and not assume outright hacking, but after watching him play almost the whole round his aim seemed completely loving implausible. He's just instantly snap to every single shot and land every one. At one point I noticed he snapped right to someone before he ever saw them, when they were underneath him behind a rock. when he cleared the rock he was already tageting them and killed them instantly. I didn't stick around for the whole game but when I dropped about 75% of the way though, he was at 17 kills. I should have reported him.

Looks like all the Titanfall 2 hacks are working in Apex Legends. There were some posts on reddit the other day showing that they work in Apex as well.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

psyman posted:

omg what is it with PC gamers using fisheye lens view, it’s in almost every clip now.

how can you play like that, I mean surely in 2019 there must be some way for engines or graphics cards to widen FOV without causing this gross effect.

It's not about graphics card power, it's about math. You can do a flat projection for anything up to 179.99999 degrees FOV but the wider it gets the more zoomed-out and impossible-to-see the actual important stuff in the middle gets.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Man, I really REALLY like the audio work done in this game. Playing through one of those fancy Super XFI headphone amps and I can pinpoint fire/movement with some uncanny ability. Always enjoy a well sound engineered game.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

psyman posted:

there are more appealing ways to render very wide fovs but they're too expensive for most games to justify using

unreal engine 4 supports a nice wide projection (panini) but i'm not aware of any games actually enabling it

120 fov (conventional)

120 fov (panini projection)

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
People who say the enemy is "over there" but dont actually ping the enemy, you are the bane of my Apexistence

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

repiv posted:

there are more appealing ways to render very wide fovs but they're too expensive for most games to justify using

unreal engine 4 supports a nice wide projection (panini) but i'm not aware of any games actually enabling it

120 fov (conventional)

120 fov (panini projection)

psyman posted:

there must be some way for engines or graphics cards to widen FOV without causing this gross effect.

I'm glad you posted this because you can see that correcting distortion from wider FOV means you're cropping the image, which defeats the purpose of running a wider FOV in the first place.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

OctaMurk posted:

People who say the enemy is "over there" but dont actually ping the enemy, you are the bane of my Apexistence

Also people who ping enemy is over there when they really mean let's go there, or here is some heavy ammo.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

ugh i don't like my free poo poo in the free to play game

gently caress off lmao

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I know it would be abused but I really wish there was a ping for "get back over here, don't run off on your own, you dumbass!"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Fart Car '97 posted:

I'm glad you posted this because you can see that correcting distortion from wider FOV means you're cropping the image, which defeats the purpose of running a wider FOV in the first place.

i think that cropping is an artifact of how ue4 implements panini, not an inherent limitation

a better example would be the quake mod "blinky" which doesn't crop vertically and supports many different projections (including 360 degree ones :eyepop:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-XPwTRL_jg

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
My bane is when we’re right next to a high tier loot zone and pubbies insist on checking every house only to keep finding garbage upgrades. The loot is over there you nerds quit it.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Was your teammate shroud?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Fans posted:

My bane is when we’re right next to a high tier loot zone and pubbies insist on checking every house only to keep finding garbage upgrades. The loot is over there you nerds quit it.

almost every time i do a bunker landing with pubbies they beeline for the houses outside the bunker and not, the place where the good loot actually is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Bunker landings are the best