Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The crashing is getting so bad now it doesn't even throw up a drat error either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

tweet my meat posted:

I like that sniping is basically just a setup phase for the actual close to midrange fight

Yeah early on I was thinking battles would be more sniper focused because of how far out you usually spot enemies before engaging, but with TTK being so high and health/shield regen being prevalent, a good squad shouldn't ever have someone die to a sniper. It's still worthwhile to have someone with a nice sniper rifle to harass and soften up the enemy, but it's useful as part of an assault/ambush, not as the deciding factor. Put them in cover/using healing items with a shot or two, then move in with grenades and shotguns.

I'm thinking my ideal setup is the EVA (atuoshotgun) and the Flatline. The EVA because I'm not great at the pop-in-and-out aiming required with the Peacekeeper - I'd rather get in their face and hold down the button for round after round, and that's way easier with the EVA. And I take the Flatline over the Hemlok becaus in a close-range battle, when I'm out of ammo on my EVA, I'd much rather have the option to use a full-auto gun rather than Hemlok's 3-round burst, and both guns are a decent mid-range choice on single shot (although the Hemlok is better in that role).

I'm usually an SMG guy in FPSs but I'm really underwhelmed with them here, as many people are saying. I might take a Prowler if I can find the selectfire mode a a good mag, but I won't touch them otherwise. I'd always much rather have an AR or an LMG.

Grenades, though, are kind of stealthily the best weapon. If you're a new player and don't think you're great in a firefight, an easy way to contribute is horde grenades and chuck them like crazy. Even if they don't hit anyone they'll still pressure and flush out the enemy, and they're deceptively simple to use once you get the controls down. The only downside is that you can't cook them.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 14, 2019

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Fun Times! posted:

gently caress off lmao

Muh free stuff, it's not the free stuff I wanted :qq:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Hot dropped onto the supply ship with like three other teams and it was amazing chaos. Downed two people with punches and had to bail before I could get either kill because someone found a gun, my two squadmates stuck around on the ship, and like three minutes later I finally circled back to reunite with them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

diapermeat posted:

Was your teammate shroud?

Lol I actually checked to see if I recognized the name and see if it was some internet celebrity, when I initially just thought he was an amazing player.

My thought process went from Wow this guy is unbelievable, best teammate ever, to oh this guy is using a mouse on PS4 to, wait no this fucker is clearly hacking.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Another pathfinder grapple clip courtesy of a friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbe6wIVHwm4

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 11, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I was going to post my account here but that'd just clutter up the thread so I made a new thread for posting origin accounts. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881912

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

psyman posted:

omg what is it with PC gamers using fisheye lens view, it’s in almost every clip now.

how can you play like that, I mean surely in 2019 there must be some way for engines or graphics cards to widen FOV without causing this gross effect.

It's just like the ADAD while in inventory: functionally fisheye doesn't help anything but it gives the ~pro gamers~ an edge so everyone else does it.

Eventually there will be a minecraft INI that turns player models into purple hitboxes and all of the graphics will be reduced to zero to make it easier to see enemies.
:shrug:

Duck and Cover posted:

I was going to post my account here but that'd just clutter up the thread so I made a new thread for posting origin accounts. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881912

I know a couple have been posted in the first dozen pages, but is there an ~official~ goon discord for AL?

Bertilak
Oct 31, 2010

Hey, I am sorry if this question is a repeat, but I was hoping someone could clarify something for me. I just had a match where I found a legendary quality barrel stabilizer. I didn't take the time to look at the description for it since it was a pretty intense match. I tried doing an internet search to see if it did anything special like other legendaries do, but I couldn't find anything that even acknowledged the existence of legendary barrel stabilizers. Does anybody know what those do?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Fart Car '97 posted:

drat, you're dense as hell if that's the hill you're gonna die on

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Does anyone have the sick knife yet? And is it exclusive to wraith like in all the promotional ads

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Bertilak posted:

Hey, I am sorry if this question is a repeat, but I was hoping someone could clarify something for me. I just had a match where I found a legendary quality barrel stabilizer. I didn't take the time to look at the description for it since it was a pretty intense match. I tried doing an internet search to see if it did anything special like other legendaries do, but I couldn't find anything that even acknowledged the existence of legendary barrel stabilizers. Does anybody know what those do?

They remove the muzzle flash. It's a pretty lovely effect for a legendary.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Sjs00 posted:

Does anyone have the sick knife yet? And is it exclusive to wraith like in all the promotional ads

it's only for wraith iirc, they're planning more character-specific boxes but only she has one right now

Bertilak
Oct 31, 2010

Fans posted:

They remove the muzzle flash. It's a pretty lovely effect for a legendary.

Thanks, that is pretty underwhelming.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Muzzle flashes are quite visible from across the map in a way that tiny little Legends way in the distance aren't, but ... you're not really vulnerable at that distance anyway.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i got a cool legendary skin for caustic in a drop. can't wait to unlock him with my points.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Does anyone else feel like most matches either end up at or go through the bridge canyon zone? I don't have any numbers to back this up but it seems overwhelmingly popular for some reason.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

Heard it here first, no criticism allowed of the loot mechanics in this game that god has given us

fuckin idiot

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Fun Times! posted:

Heard it here first, no criticism allowed of the loot mechanics in this game that god has given us

fuckin idiot

... you mean the same cosmetic lootbox mechanic that almost every single other F2P game also employs? Except in Apex they at least bothered to implement bad luck prevention.

like are you actually going on for multiple pages about one lootbox you didn't like? lmao

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
bloodhound owns. Is there any bad character in this game? They all seem useful

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
https://streamable.com/hs25f In hindsight I could have mounted a rescue attempt but I was out for blood

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Bertilak posted:

Thanks, that is pretty underwhelming.

Aside from the backpack snd helmet, all the non-gun legendaries are situational at best, and provide marginal advantages over purple gear. Backpack provides fast healing, and helmet provides shorter cooldown times on ultimate/tactical abilities

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

barkbell posted:

bloodhound owns. Is there any bad character in this game? They all seem useful

Mirage seems middling and Caustic seems actively hurtful to your own team.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Chard posted:

Does anyone else feel like most matches either end up at or go through the bridge canyon zone? I don't have any numbers to back this up but it seems overwhelmingly popular for some reason.

bunker? it's got great loot and is in the middle of the map.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pivo posted:

Muzzle flashes are quite visible from across the map in a way that tiny little Legends way in the distance aren't, but ... you're not really vulnerable at that distance anyway.

This is true but it does not remove the bullet tracer so it isn't exactly hard to spot you anyway.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

panda clue posted:

... you mean the same cosmetic lootbox mechanic that almost every single other F2P game also employs? Except in Apex they at least bothered to implement bad luck prevention.

like are you actually going on for multiple pages about one lootbox you didn't like? lmao

Should I respond to your post or does this count as me going on for multiple pages? I like this game as much as anybody, it's good, and I made one post saying one box was lame, because it was. If you're gonna respond like a chud you might get a response calling you an idiot, idiot.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

CascadeBeta posted:

Mirage seems middling and Caustic seems actively hurtful to your own team.

'caustic bad' is becoming a noob dog whistle at this point

Fun Times! posted:

Should I respond to your post or does this count as me going on for multiple pages? I like this game as much as anybody, it's good, and I made one post saying one box was lame, because it was. If you're gonna respond like a chud you might get a response calling you an idiot, idiot.

lol you're still going :allears:

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

The crashing is getting so bad now it doesn't even throw up a drat error either.

Try turning off the Origin overlay. For some reason that fixed most of my crashes. That being said, ymmv

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

panda clue posted:

'caustic bad' is becoming a noob dog whistle at this point

lol you're still going :allears:

If there's advanced Caustic strats feel free to share. He seems like he isn't all that good and then he negatively impacts your team ontop of that.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
How can anyone think that Mirage is middling? His ult is up fast and is literally invisibility for like 6 seconds. If you are carrying a shottie/AR/SMG it's basically a free kill because you can run right behind someone and unload into them at point blank. That's just the most obvious, least nuanced use. I've used it to reposition to a good flank that an enemy team is not expecting, chucking grenades in. Amazing self-save too.

Mirage would be amazing even if he didn't have his normal clone that is super fun and oftentimes useful. Chuck one out and as soon as someone stops shooting because they realized it's a clone, 99% of the time they reload out of habit, which is your time to strike at a major advantage.

He doesn't have any direct team utility, but who needs team utility when you just kill the whole enemy team?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
mirage is stupid good and caustic is merely very strong, however none can touch my grappling robot friend.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

CascadeBeta posted:

If there's advanced Caustic strats feel free to share. He seems like he isn't all that good and then he negatively impacts your team ontop of that.

He just plays a bit differently than the other legends (requires setup/planning/baiting), but that doesn't make him objectively bad. I will admit he has a weaker early game than most legends, but he makes up for it by his insane late game if he makes it to the final several circles.

I will admit though that a bad Caustic can absolutely gently caress your team into a bad situation.

Impermanent posted:

mirage is stupid good and caustic is merely very strong, however none can touch my grappling robot friend.

I didn't even know about the circle-scan until I read about it in this thread :ssh:.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Caustic really requires a good player playing him as well as a good team that will play to his strengths and knows how to avoid his downsides, he's probably the worst legendary in pub games for that reason.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
really none of the heroes are bad. there's something useful about all of them. Right now the medic might be a bit higher tier because of her gearing ability and the fact that if you're real good and constant about loot acquistion you will loving drown in ultimate accelerant. Some of them are more straightforward or lend themselves to the main streamers' playstyles so they're "the best" right now but the game is not quite a week old yet - the tide will change.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Caustic!

Do: Throw down Gas behind any cover or in buildings your team isn't using. Also if someone is rushing you throw down a trap. Now you can see them even if they run and they can't see you in your cloud of safety. MURDER TIME.

Don't: Stack a ton of them in the building your team is currently in. It really doesn't help.

Fans fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 11, 2019

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Mirage's ult is very much not invisible

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
None of the characters are fully useless, it's more a matter of when they are useful and when they become less useful. Lifeline for instance is very good throughout the match except the very end when her ultimate doesn't have any real use and her drone isn't a fast enough heal and even her passive isn't that great when it's down to two squads.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Eej posted:

Mirage's ult is very much not invisible

It makes him invisible.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You can still see him in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Throwing thermite grenades after a knockdown is both effective and a hilarious way to re-enact the ending of Space Mutiny.