Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

I'd managed to forget about that. It's funny, the NRA has been awfully quiet about this case of home invasion and attempt to fght it off with a firearm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TropicalCoke posted:

One of sen whitmires interns is on the potential non citizens list from the SoS. Whitley is done lmao. Fall on the sword for daddy abbott

hahaha, incredible

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

zoux posted:

Starting to think communism might not win

Hyper-leftists eating their own is an Austin tradition right up there with complaining about Californians moving in.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

LanceHunter posted:

Hyper-leftists eating their own is an Austin tradition right up there with complaining about Californians moving in.

On that same tip, we have Defend our Hoodz attacking the Austin Creative Alliance because they're convinced if they can stop the Riverside Arts District from happening then Riverside will never gentrify (instead of it just gentrifying anyways but now with no space set aside for anyone doing creative work.

quote:

Austin Creative Alliance vandalized overnight

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The Austin Creative Alliance, a cultural hub and safe space for artists on the east side, was vandalized overnight. The windows are now boarded up, but the paint and curse words are still on the walls, visible for all to see.

[i]An exhibit sparks outrage[i]

"The reason why I created this body of work is to host a conversation," said Jean-Piere Verdijo, a mixed media artist who created the exhibit Agency at the Crossroads, currently on display at the Austin Creative Alliance.

The exhibit focuses on the problems gentrification poses to urban cities. What was meant to be an open dialogue turned into a shouting match between patrons.

"Instead of a conversation, it was one-sided,” said Barbara Weems, with the Austin Creative Alliance.

Weems said the anger was from members of the organization "Defend our Hoodz".

Austin Creative Alliance leaders said the group has harassed them on social media for the last six months. "They've been harassing our members of color, particularly our female and trans members," CEO John Riedie said.

KXAN reached out to organizers of Defend our Hoodz several times. They didn't want to comment for this story.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Ugh. People *still* insert z's in words to make themselves hip in 2019?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/1094962479535403010

This is carefully parsed

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Cornyn is such a toad.

https://twitter.com/JeremySWallace/status/1094338543785332741

Hell yeah get 'im

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Y'all remember how we were talking the other day about how It Didn't Used To Be Like THis

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1093055382019325953

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1095001144605241346

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
it takes a troop

to beat a troop

*nods sagely*

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Cornyn normally shows a level of caution and reserve that the party as a whole would really be well-advised to rediscover.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Cornyn actually has a higher disapproval rating than Cruz iirc

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It's because the Republican voters have also gotten dumber and less nuanced. That's where all these terrible candidates are coming from. The pleasure centers that are triggered by hearing some idiot demagogue "tell it how it is" are so powerful that it overwhelms any sense of cultural self-preservation they may have once had.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

General Dog posted:

It's because the Republican voters have also gotten dumber and less nuanced. That's where all these terrible candidates are coming from. The pleasure centers that are triggered by hearing some idiot demagogue "tell it how it is" are so powerful that it overwhelms any sense of cultural self-preservation they may have once had.

yeah, watch cornyn get primaried by a pack of hooting chuds screaming "John Cucknyn"

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
really missing those smart, nuanced republicans right about now

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
it's cool we sent one of those oldschool smart/nuanced republicans to handle "the venezuela problem" so I'm sure everything will go over swimmingly

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 11, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JohnnieMo/status/1095005890497806336

"Finch the Mall"

Also lol at all these Austin based reporters having to schlepp it out to El Paso because President Tweets decided he was mad that people said he was wrong about crime in the city being fixed by a wall

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
did they pick el paso because it's so far from everyone that nobody would really show up to protest

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just said why they picked El Paso, it's one of the safest cities in the US despite being across the river from one of the least safe cities in North America, and in his SotU Trump said it was because of walls. Everyone who knows what they are talking about, left and right, said "no that's not why" so he got all salted up and decided he was going campaign-rally his way to this being true.

And he's going to get protested to gently caress because that's a city that went like 65% for HRC in 16.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Marxalot posted:

did they pick el paso because it's so far from everyone that nobody would really show up to protest

El Paso is also far away from a lot of places so people don't know much about it, you know? Like obvious El Paso is not a dangerous place, but people who don't live in Texas only really know about Austin and Houston

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

This is one of those "my unsubstantiated beliefs are better than your facts" things. There's no real discussion to be had, just lies and misdirection.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Look, morality of it aside, we know how to interdict border crossings. The degree to which we do it is a matter of policy but as far as the mechanisms of stopping crossings, we know what works and what doesn't. Cornyn knows what works and what doesn't, he knows the wall is ineffective in that regard. But you can't say that because President Baby has the support of 85% of the GOP and he'll start calling him Jerpin' John or something and own him right out of office. You'd have to have political courage to do it and well

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah Cornyn saw that Ted kissed the ring and won his seat back in spite of himself and a strong challenger, so there's no way he's not on the Trump train. He's not an idiot, he's just disingenuous/dishonest at best and evil at worst.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JeremySWallace/status/1095044808593281024

Trump's venue has a cap of 7k people, Beto's rally will be open air and it's supposed to be real nice out there tonight. 3 or 4 times bigger than the Trump rally isn't out of the question (also what if Beto announces for prez tonight >_> )

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hopefully Beto announces for U.S. senator from Texas tonight.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

PostNouveau posted:

This. We could use another non-psychopath politician in Texas more than we can use yet another centrist dem attempting to self-own by running for president.

zoux posted:

I just said why they picked El Paso, it's one of the safest cities in the US despite being across the river from one of the least safe cities in North America, and in his SotU Trump said it was because of walls. Everyone who knows what they are talking about, left and right, said "no that's not why" so he got all salted up and decided he was going campaign-rally his way to this being true.

And he's going to get protested to gently caress because that's a city that went like 65% for HRC in 16.

oh god is that seriously why he was tweeting about el paso being safe :cripes:

e: I also said nobody would show up in mass protest because el paso is far as gently caress from literally anywhere, not because it's chudville.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 11, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

*extremely Faith No More voice*

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1095065077655449601

lmao
https://twitter.com/steveholland1/status/1095066783390801929
https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1095062394689257473

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 11, 2019

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

Marxalot posted:

This. We could use another non-psychopath politician in Texas more than we can use yet another centrist dem attempting to self-own by running for president.

I say this as someone who blockwalked for Beto, phonebanked for Beto, and was incredibly happy with how well he performed:

Is there a reason to believe that Beto has a snowball's chance in hell of beating Cornyn? Ted Cruz is absolutely hated, is a known lizard person, and super ulikable, yet Beto still didn't win. Is there something I don't know that would mean that Beto would have any shot against semi-charismatic milquetoast Cornyn?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Doom Rooster posted:

I say this as someone who blockwalked for Beto, phonebanked for Beto, and was incredibly happy with how well he performed:

Is there a reason to believe that Beto has a snowball's chance in hell of beating Cornyn? Ted Cruz is absolutely hated, is a known lizard person, and super ulikable, yet Beto still didn't win. Is there something I don't know that would mean that Beto would have any shot against semi-charismatic milquetoast Cornyn?

I don't know that he does, although someone mentioned Cornyn somehow having worse favorables than Cruz.

But he'd stand a better chance than any other nominee, and it would give Texas 2 more years of a galvanizing campaign uniting the center and left in the state.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Marxalot posted:

oh god is that seriously why he was tweeting about el paso being safe :cripes:

e: I also said nobody would show up in mass protest because el paso is far as gently caress from literally anywhere, not because it's chudville.

yeah but like... people live there, you know. people do actually live in el paso

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nobody loves Cornyn. Nobody. He could easily have an enthusiasm problem in 2020, though the coattails for Trump in the state should be enough.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I don't know that he does, although someone mentioned Cornyn somehow having worse favorables than Cruz.

But he'd stand a better chance than any other nominee, and it would give Texas 2 more years of a galvanizing campaign uniting the center and left in the state.

Cruz has a high number of die-hards, something Cornyn lacks because he is an empty suit.

ie

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also those numbers would change drastically if an actual Beto-Cornyn race got kicked off. You'd see better approval rates for Cornyn in that case, imo.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/brandonformby/status/1095085638964133890?s=21

This reminds me of last session when they tried to ban payroll union contributions but had a carveout for police unions :jerkbag:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

corn in the bible posted:

yeah but like... people live there, you know. people do actually live in el paso

propaganda and lies

also McAllen/Brownsville/Laredo aren't -that- far from San Antonio/Houston/Austin; at least not compared to el paso

Doom Rooster posted:

That campaign did wonders for down ballot races and is probably what tipped the election from "ok maybe some random dems will win in a few districts somewhere" to "oh god did every major city just switch from majority red to entirely blue?". He has a far better chance of helping to pull that off again here (and maybe winning, who knows) than he does of becoming the next president.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Also it looks like the great grandson of the captain of the titanic just hit the I-10 bridge just outside of Houston lol

https://twitter.com/CityofBaytown/status/1095083115335290880

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 12, 2019

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/1095094885894537217?s=21

Rip to Dave

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/brandonformby/status/1095085638964133890?s=21

This reminds me of last session when they tried to ban payroll union contributions but had a carveout for police unions :jerkbag:

Honestly this makes it harder to pass imo because now those small entities who might have been sitting out this round are back in the mix. The carve out was specifically intended to blunt rural pushback, but that’s back on the table now.
E: the opt in provision I mean, you’re correct about the first responder carve out

Also Badge you’ll be happy to know someone filed a bill to replace all references to marihuana in the code with cannabis

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Honestly this makes it harder to pass imo because now those small entities who might have been sitting out this round are back in the mix. The carve out was specifically intended to blunt rural pushback, but that’s back on the table now.
E: the opt in provision I mean, you’re correct about the first responder carve out

Also Badge you’ll be happy to know someone filed a bill to replace all references to marihuana in the code with cannabis

Yeah I’m not sure why they did the opt in thing, the whole point was to split the small jurisdictions from the hated Urban Libs

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

by the way i just wanna remind people that 2020 will be the first texas election without straight ticket, because the gop wants to make voting inconvenient whenever possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Probably because the GOP electorate in those counties were mad they weren’t getting fake tax relief