Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feldhase
Apr 27, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

saliva is pretty tame and there isn't much of anything that can be transmitted via saliva exchange so that doesn't bother me much

As a CMV researcher I’m going to have to disagree here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

pidan fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Dec 19, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

pidan posted:

And from what I understand regular menstruation was a much rarer thing than it is now anyway, because it was common to be malnourished and have lots of children.
i read a 17th c medical book once that said if you didn't have a period "at least once a year" you should start worrying

this is probably also why even though lots of people aren't allowed to get married, illegitimate children aren't a visible public problem in this period--these people just aren't as fertile as people in the 19th century

edit:

quote:

wine
it's a hot mixture of water and wine, with tiny cubes of bread floating in it

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 12, 2019

feldhase
Apr 27, 2011

HEY GUNS posted:

it's a hot mixture of water and wine, with tiny cubes of bread floating in it

Yeah, the ethanol in the wine will inactivate or kill most pathogens, especially enveloped viruses

Now, the grape juice at my church that a lot of the people want to take huge gulps out of instead of tincture, that’s a different story

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

happyphage posted:

Now, the grape juice at my church that a lot of the people want to take huge gulps out of instead of tincture...
is nobody directing this process? it's not fair to the people behind you in line!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If the communion wine doesn’t get you buzzed, you’re not doing it right.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I don't know about other fluids, but pagans (like every other faith, it seems) go nuts over women on periods. They can't enter sweat lodges with the lakota, for example, and dianic practicioners think it the blood can be used for wicked strong magic.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Why do some denominations use grape juice anyway? The only reasonable justification I can think of is that it's more inclusive to use grape juice so you don't expose former alcoholics to alcohol. Jesus made wine, Jesus drank wine, Paul said drinking a little wine is fine and good for you even, clearly there's not much of a biblical problem with using a small amount of wine in communion.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

pidan fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 19, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Some people think that “wine” is a mistranslation and that the original Greek or Hebrew could be understood as fresh grape juice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_in_the_Bible

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pidan posted:

On a similar note, is there any mention in the bible of Jesus eating or encouraging the eating of any meat other than fish (and holy communion :wink: )?

Jesus eats the passover meal which is known to contain lamb.

That’s as close at it gets.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

pidan posted:

Some US denominations are strongly pro temperance / against alcohol. They tend to claim that the "wine" mentioned in the bible was not alcoholic, less alcoholic than modern wine, or only alcoholic for food preservation reasons that are no longer relevant.

I don't buy it. Just seems like people getting their personal ideas mixed up with the Bible. It's probably just a holdover from the temperance movement.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
but very nice for any faith that wants to include alcoholics, and there are a lot of people that can't be saved if you don't.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

HEY GUNS posted:

we're not supposed to gently caress the night before going to church and if a guy has a wet dream he can't serve in the altar the next day. if a woman is havng her period she shouldn't take communion, and after having a kid she has to wait 40 days. Pretty sure if you get blood in a church it deconsecrates it.

why are we, you, and muslims so obsessed with bodily fluids?

edit: The zoroastrians believe that ALL bodily products turn evil after they are let go from your body. Including fingernail clippings! I always forget about the Zoroastrians when I'm talking about the desert religions

Wait, blood in a church deconsecrates it? ANY blood? Like you sneeze, have a gushing nosebleed, and a drop hits the floor before you get a tissue out of your purse, and you ruined the church? worried about ever visiting a church now.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

BattyKiara posted:

Wait, blood in a church deconsecrates it? ANY blood? Like you sneeze, have a gushing nosebleed, and a drop hits the floor before you get a tissue out of your purse, and you ruined the church? worried about ever visiting a church now.

1917 Codex Iuris Canonicis posted:

Can 1172 §1. Ecclesia violatur infra recensitis tantum actibus, dummodo certi sint, notorii, et in ipsa ecclesia positi:
1º Delicto homicidii;
2º Iniuriosa et gravi sanguinis effusione;

So homicide, including suicide, but not self defense apparently.
An injurious or serious shedding of blood, even if it does not touch the floor. Nosebleeds usually are not injurious.

1983 code does not have these specifics included.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tias posted:

but very nice for any faith that wants to include alcoholics, and there are a lot of people that can't be saved if you don't.

I don’t see why a denomination can’t say “Jesus was drinking the good stuff [i.e. alcohol], but there is no reason we can’t use fresh grape juice in our ceremonies”.

feldhase
Apr 27, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

Why do some denominations use grape juice anyway? The only reasonable justification I can think of is that it's more inclusive to use grape juice so you don't expose former alcoholics to alcohol. Jesus made wine, Jesus drank wine, Paul said drinking a little wine is fine and good for you even, clearly there's not much of a biblical problem with using a small amount of wine in communion.

In my case it’s because we have recovering alcoholics in our congregation!

There are other weird quirks about the church (German Lutheran, EKD if you’re familiar with German synods). We have no confession whatsoever, neither personal nor part of the service, which is imo the biggest problem at the moment. Back when I spoke with the pastor when I joined he told me it was a holdover from the post-war times, when soul-searching after the Nazi era was at its height. Apparently a large number of congregations then didn’t want to hear about guilt anymore, so the whole ecclesiastical region removed that part of the liturgy (which seems really, really leery to me, but I digress). Nowadays individual churches can reinstate it, and the pastor wants it back too, but the church board is full of older folks who grew up like this and don’t want change, so it’s stalled.

HEY GUNS posted:

is nobody directing this process? it's not fair to the people behind you in line!

There are, but woe betide anyone who tries to tell a pensioner what to do

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

pidan posted:

Some US denominations are strongly pro temperance / against alcohol. They tend to claim that the "wine" mentioned in the bible was not alcoholic, less alcoholic than modern wine, or only alcoholic for food preservation reasons that are no longer relevant.

Jack Van Impe did an extended riff on the 'difference' between the Hebrew yain (sp?) and the Greek oinos and how they meant totally different things.

I dont know if his argument was any good, I only heard it because Negativland sampled it.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
If it were Jack van Impe, his argument was likely not very good. But I think, as other people have said, most of the churches that use grape juice instead of wine for communion realize that wine was used at the last supper, but that because of the physical and social harm that alcohol can cause, it's better to use unfermented juice.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, I've definitely heard the "it wasn't real wine in the Bible" argument before but I'm not really convinced even the people advancing that argument believed it.

I once participated in a communion service that was grape kool-aid and wonder bread. (We were college students on a backpacking trip.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Epicurius posted:

If it were Jack van Impe, his argument was likely not very good. But I think, as other people have said, most of the churches that use grape juice instead of wine for communion realize that wine was used at the last supper, but that because of the physical and social harm that alcohol can cause, it's better to use unfermented juice.

In the church I grew up in, the main reason was that minors take communion, too, and they don't want to serve alcohol to kids and teens.

https://i.imgur.com/fsaq1zj.mp4

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Platystemon posted:

I don’t see why a denomination can’t say “Jesus was drinking the good stuff [i.e. alcohol], but there is no reason we can’t use fresh grape juice in our ceremonies”.

The United Methodists do.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

happyphage posted:

There are, but woe betide anyone who tries to tell a pensioner what to do
lollll

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

In the church I grew up in, the main reason was that minors take communion, too, and they don't want to serve alcohol to kids and teens.
that has never stopped the Orthodox :guinness:

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Welch developed the method for making modern grape juice without fermenting it so that he could have non-alcoholic communion in his Methodist church. Hence Welch's Grape Juice.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

BattyKiara posted:

if you aren't Orthodox don't worry

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
In our little congregational church I was in as a kid, we had a tray of lovely little glass shot glasses, all with super tastey grape juice in them, and then later on I'd just pound down whatever was leftover in the church kitchen when no one was looking because grape juice.

I suppose that explains my piety.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
The rabbi never knew what was poured into the kiddush cups growing up so for my bat mitzvah I had some nasty kosher wine for the kiddush, but it was a surprise what I'd get.

For my wedding we had better kosher wine for the kiddush, but I dont remembee anything from it

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

that has never stopped the Orthodox :guinness:

My impression was that the wine was sufficiently diluted so that wasn't a big deal? I'm still procrastinating/going slow on my catechesis so I'm not quite there yet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CountFosco posted:

My impression was that the wine was sufficiently diluted so that wasn't a big deal? I'm still procrastinating/going slow on my catechesis so I'm not quite there yet.

Southern Baptists are prone to preaching prohibition to begin with, from my end of things, connecting drinking to bad behavior of all kinds. Perhaps the best way I've heard it expressed is "Jesus can drink whatever he likes, but you ain't Jesus!"

https://i.imgur.com/A5fIaAz.gifv

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

I personally don't really drink anymore, but that's more of a personal thing. Alcohol just doesn't interest me.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

CountFosco posted:

It's not a big deal and it's a tiny quantity, but you're still feeding booze to an infant from a little spoon

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Cythereal posted:

some lutheran congregations i am aware of serve communion to toddlers. including the wine

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

happyphage posted:

Yeah, the ethanol in the wine will inactivate or kill most pathogens, especially enveloped viruses
the water's also heated before it's poured in but i don't know how hot it gets

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

the water's also heated before it's poured in but i don't know how hot it gets

It doesn't matter how hot it gets, the goal is to work on oneself so that one can bear the heat.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
before the electric kettle was invented this was just another way in which churches were giant fire hazards

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

even after that was invented, let me [TELL] you about the army of ancient-rear end coffee urns, the size of mini kegs, that were brewing away unsupervised in the basement during the service

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Lutha Mahtin posted:

even after that was invented, let me [TELL] you about the army of ancient-rear end coffee urns, the size of mini kegs, that were brewing away unsupervised in the basement during the service

in our heads we can all smell that smell

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

some lutheran congregations i am aware of serve communion to toddlers. including the wine

My kids, ages between 8 and 12, received bread and wine just last Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

HEY GUNS posted:

before the electric kettle was invented this was just another way in which churches were giant fire hazards

So how many theological debates were there before electric kettles were deemed OK? I'm imagining priests going "We have used open fire since the year of our lord 276, why change now? Fire hazard? What if God wants this specific church to catch fire for some unfathomable reason? "

I joke, but I have read about churches calling lightning conductors blasphemy, because they were interfering with God's will.