Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

treizebee posted:

^^ Yeah engagement is funky. A lot of polishing is still needed in tbm. What I do is after each action: I'll click on an enemy with the character that has engagement slots to make sure the engagement persists. It's working pretty well.
Also make sure your character isn't moving slightly when you are clicking on spells/abilities. The game has difficulty discerning between you clicking on your hotbar and asking your character to move, that might be moving your character enough to drop engagement.

They are not getting engagement in the first place.

It's mostly Pallegina who doesn't seem to reliably engage. Is it because she has a two-hander? The characters with shields can do it way more reliably (Eder with a regular shield, and me, the monk, with Tuotilo's Palm).

Edit: And Ishiza, but I don't know if ranger pets can even engage. I blame birds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
You need a shield or an ability/passive to have engagement slots. Pallegina does not have any engagement capability off the bat.

edit : On that point, I do wish there was something on the UI or character sheet that showed engagement slots. It's a pretty important mechanic and you are kinda left to keep track of it mentally.

treizebee fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 11, 2019

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

You need to actually have an "engagement slot" from something, yea. All shields give one, as do some talents, modals and enchantments.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Oh, well, that'd do it. I thought everyone had one by default.

Live and learn!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So, when the Vithrack Silk Slippers have the "5% chance to recast a spell immediately" what, exactly, counts as a spell? Wizards only? Druids, priests? Ciphers? Also, that seems hilariously strong when it actually fires, depending.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Prism posted:

Oh, well, that'd do it. I thought everyone had one by default.

Live and learn!

It was a change from PoE1 to PoE2, I forget a lot too.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Ravenfood posted:

So, when the Vithrack Silk Slippers have the "5% chance to recast a spell immediately" what, exactly, counts as a spell? Wizards only? Druids, priests? Ciphers? Also, that seems hilariously strong when it actually fires, depending.

I think “spells” means chanter, cipher, druid, priest and wizard abilities.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The quarterstaff and dagger proficiency modals that boost melee deflection don't seem to work at all? They aren't factoring into the displayed attack rolls.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I think “spells” means chanter, cipher, druid, priest and wizard abilities.

Why do you think that?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

User posted:

Why do you think that?

I say “I think” because my memory could be faulty and Obsidian’s descriptions and terminology aren’t always consistent (for example, “on hit” sometimes includes grazes and sometimes doesn’t). But chanter, cipher, priest, wizard and druid abilities are disabled while a shifter is spirit shifted, whereas other abilities aren’t.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

The quarterstaff and dagger proficiency modals that boost melee deflection don't seem to work at all? They aren't factoring into the displayed attack rolls.

I seem to recall something about these only applying to melee weapon attacks, hence not showing up in your total.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Avalerion posted:

I seem to recall something about these only applying to melee weapon attacks, hence not showing up in your total.

Yes, they only apply to melee, but they do not show up in the combat log to-hit calculations against melee attacks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pellisworth posted:

Yes, they only apply to melee, but they do not show up in the combat log to-hit calculations against melee attacks.

Might be bugged or might be a stacking issue.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

They don't stack with other modals or active abilities

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Prism posted:

Edit: And Ishiza, but I don't know if ranger pets can even engage. I blame birds.

I don’t know about other pets, but I’m pretty sure Ishiza’s unique pet bonus is that he can’t engage or be engaged, in addition to ignoring slog zones.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don’t know about other pets, but I’m pretty sure Ishiza’s unique pet bonus is that he can’t engage or be engaged, in addition to ignoring slog zones.

Immunity to engagement shouldn't prevent you from engaging others, though I assume pets don't get an engagement slot by default either and need the Protective Companion talent for that.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Yes, he can engage with the talent, but he can't be engaged.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I just got a strange bit of ambient dialogue from Pallegina: she asked if I remembered when we first met, "on a ship from your homeland." Any idea what prompted that, given that that's definitely not how we met?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I haven't heard that line, but at a guess you're in the Forgotten Sanctum? There's a bit in there where multiple characters have a line referring to something that never happened, the implication being that the Hand Occult has messed with your own memory. My favourite is Rekke, who asks what became of the other man you found with him in the wreckage

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

2house2fly posted:

I haven't heard that line, but at a guess you're in the Forgotten Sanctum? There's a bit in there where multiple characters have a line referring to something that never happened, the implication being that the Hand Occult has messed with your own memory. My favourite is Rekke, who asks what became of the other man you found with him in the wreckage

This is extremely spooky and I'm here for it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's a few neat lore bits in that DLC:

The History Of Eora series of books, which talks about great wilder empires hidden from kith eyes, and a suggestion that Rekke's homeland Yezuha was manipulated and betrayed by Engwith at the same time Ukaizo was. The books go on to describe the future of Eora as well, making them possibly unreliable

The final boss is Fyonlecg, a member of the Archmages' Circle who has been erased from history so thoroughly that even the other achmages don't remember him. He claims to have invented several spells: Fyonlecg's Wall of Flames, Fyonlecg's Wall of Many Colors, and Fyonlecg's Pristine Barrier- the first two are in the game but don't have anyone's name attached, and the third is nowhere to be found :iiam:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ravenfood posted:

I just got a strange bit of ambient dialogue from Pallegina: she asked if I remembered when we first met, "on a ship from your homeland." Any idea what prompted that, given that that's definitely not how we met?

My wife and I "met" many times before we actually realized the other person existed. We ended up at the same parties, went to the same games, ended up in the same classes. We were just background extras in each other's lives until her birthday party when we actually had a reason to engage with each other.

Maybe she's referring to something like that? Like she realized that before your time to the Dyrwood you'd been on a boat together and just not realized it.

edit: I see now what probably is happening. Neat.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 13, 2019

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

2house2fly posted:

The History Of Eora series of books, which talks about great wilder empires hidden from kith eyes, and a suggestion that Rekke's homeland Yezuha was manipulated and betrayed by Engwith at the same time Ukaizo was. The books go on to describe the future of Eora as well, making them possibly unreliable

The final boss is Fyonlecg, a member of the Archmages' Circle who has been erased from history so thoroughly that even the other achmages don't remember him. He claims to have invented several spells: Fyonlecg's Wall of Flames, Fyonlecg's Wall of Many Colors, and Fyonlecg's Pristine Barrier- the first two are in the game but don't have anyone's name attached, and the third is nowhere to be found :iiam:

The Yezhua thing seems to be true based on what's in Beast of Winter. Rekke reads an inscription by the first king of Ukaizo that's in an ancient Yezhua dialect

Though I think the implications about Divinity is the neatest thing I read in the histories. It mentions "the first gods"

So far I'm enjoying the story and non-visual setting more than BoW. Though I think BoW was an amazing and fantastic visual journey.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

2house2fly posted:

That series of books is great because it's like 90% "HOLY poo poo THE ENGWITHANS WERE EVIL!" Don't forget them also wiping out the now long forgotten communist Orlan empire, pushing them into more or less eternal slavery for it.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

My first game in pillars 1 I was spoiled on the big reveal, but I was still like "man the gods are insanely lovely. Just the most bloodthirsty possible take on every aspect." Then getting Engwithian history and society revealed made that click.

My take on why they made the gods in the first place is that consciously or not, the ruling theocracy had to justify their social position, the wars, and the human sacrifice they did in the name of their gods. Basically retconning their own society into making sense.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Best Friends posted:

My first game in pillars 1 I was spoiled on the big reveal, but I was still like "man the gods are insanely lovely. Just the most bloodthirsty possible take on every aspect." Then getting Engwithian history and society revealed made that click.

My take on why they made the gods in the first place is that consciously or not, the ruling theocracy had to justify their social position, the wars, and the human sacrifice they did in the name of their gods. Basically retconning their own society into making sense.

I mean, imagine what kind of pantheon the British empire in it's heyday would've made. Imagine what the American empire would make.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Don’t act like you’ve never watched professional wrestling

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

That series of books is great because it's like 90% "HOLY poo poo THE ENGWITHANS WERE EVIL!" Don't forget them also wiping out the now long forgotten communist Orlan empire, pushing them into more or less eternal slavery for it.

It's very, very important to note that, right now, we have no idea how much of the lore we find in The Forgotten Sanctum is true, in fact, there are quite obviously some lies sprinkled in the lore books that you can find in the libraries.

Still, it's interesting stuff, and it really, really makes me wanna see a PoE3!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's very, very important to note that, right now, we have no idea how much of the lore we find in The Forgotten Sanctum is true, in fact, there are quite obviously some lies sprinkled in the lore books that you can find in the libraries.

Still, it's interesting stuff, and it really, really makes me wanna see a PoE3!

Just because Eora is not ready for this doesn't mean it's not all true :colbert:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Unrelated to the deep lore chat, but the lady who reforges Woedica's Crown commented on the horny Eothasian diary in my inventory and that was one of the best dialogue interactions in this game.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

John Cena would make a pretty good Eothas.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I only wish you could get professional wrestling on TV here. I love that cheese. Also the beefcake.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Cardiovorax posted:

I only wish you could get professional wrestling on TV here. I love that cheese. Also the beefcake.

The last Joe Rogan's standup talks about wrestling, how it's totally gay, and how it makes so much sense.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, it was invented by the ancient Greek. There's a reason they did it naked.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
His bit goes on saying that anywhere else in the world outside of that square, if a guy shows up in shorts, leather boots and tights, it's to suck cocks. It's very gay (and it's fine, he goes on saying).

Anyway sorry for off-topic, this just made me think of that show because I watched it recently.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Back in the Old City.

I'm in Veteran this time and the fight for Min's Fortune doesn't play around so much there, huh?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Furism posted:

The last Joe Rogan's standup talks about wrestling, how it's totally gay, and how it makes so much sense.

Typical of a hack like Joe Rogan to rip off Roland Barthes

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Typical of a hack like Joe Rogan to rip off Roland Barthes
nice 'mythologies' reference! a fun and accessible read in the vein of wrestling = religion for the unacquainted.

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
Does anyone have any fun build recommendations? Possibly for turn-based? I played a Monk/Barbarian last time, so I want to do something different this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ThermosAquaticus posted:

Does anyone have any fun build recommendations? Possibly for turn-based? I played a Monk/Barbarian last time, so I want to do something different this time.

I really like paladin+priest as a way to force me to roleplay a kind of character I otherwise wouldn't.

Anything+rogue is good in turn based because of the level 1 movement ability rogue gets.