Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!
Jesus H Christ. I can't imagine some the stories mention ITT.

My dumb rule was in the 3rd/4th grade where we had a reader that had reading comprehension questions in it. These were multiple choice and there were 4 questions per story (I remember that much). I read the first story and answered: 1 a, 2 c, 3 d, 4 a. My teacher decided that that was unacceptable and I had to write out in full both the question and the answer. I disagreed spend the next year working on the same problem because I refused to write out the question and answer in full because I thought it was stupid. The unfortunate part is when I got the same teacher the next year and had to continue on with the same god drat reader for another year. I spent two years reading the same stories over and over again. The funny thing looking back is that if the teacher had ever said to me that writing out the question and answer were to develop writing skills or were a requirement in the first place I would not have had a problem with it. It was just because the requirement was imposed after the fact that I became dug in.

For the teachers in this thread. If you set the requirement out front, the borderline autistic and rule following bastards in your class will be much easier to handle :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

One time in middle school I was teaching some younger kids how to use some laptops for some reason, and I corrected a teacher who thought that you were supposed to hit the caps lock before and after every time you needed a capital letter. She got pretty mad and said that was normal but conceded that you could use the shift key if you really wanted to.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Real Mean Queen posted:

One time in middle school I was teaching some younger kids how to use some laptops for some reason, and I corrected a teacher who thought that you were supposed to hit the caps lock before and after every time you needed a capital letter. She got pretty mad and said that was normal but conceded that you could use the shift key if you really wanted to.

You don't leave caps lock on all the time and hold the shift key for lower case?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ZincBoy posted:

Jesus H Christ. I can't imagine some the stories mention ITT.

My dumb rule was in the 3rd/4th grade where we had a reader that had reading comprehension questions in it. These were multiple choice and there were 4 questions per story (I remember that much). I read the first story and answered: 1 a, 2 c, 3 d, 4 a. My teacher decided that that was unacceptable and I had to write out in full both the question and the answer. I disagreed spend the next year working on the same problem because I refused to write out the question and answer in full because I thought it was stupid. The unfortunate part is when I got the same teacher the next year and had to continue on with the same god drat reader for another year. I spent two years reading the same stories over and over again. The funny thing looking back is that if the teacher had ever said to me that writing out the question and answer were to develop writing skills or were a requirement in the first place I would not have had a problem with it. It was just because the requirement was imposed after the fact that I became dug in.

For the teachers in this thread. If you set the requirement out front, the borderline autistic and rule following bastards in your class will be much easier to handle :)

that lesson wasn't to develop writting skills, it was to teach you to submit to the arbitrary whims of authority figures. The most important lesson of public school

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Rutibex posted:

that lesson wasn't to develop writting skills, it was to teach you to submit to the arbitrary whims of authority figures. The most important lesson of public school

Second most important. The #1 most important lesson of public school is to crush your hopes, dreams and individuality and make sure to grow up and be a good, compliant little worker bee.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I had some 6th grade teacher give out in-class assignments that we'd do at least once per day (you can imagine by the end there were a lot of them so they affected the grade somewhat heavily). Like 1 page things about the book we were reading at the time.

At the end of the semester, the teacher tells me I got credit for none of them because I handed them to her at the end of class instead of putting them in the turn-in box. I asked why she took them on day 1 instead of pointing me to the turn-in box and she said "you have to follow the rules." There were at least two other people in the class in the same boat as me.

Rutibex posted:

Mimesweeper posted:

Second most important. The #1 most important lesson of public school is to crush your hopes, dreams and individuality and make sure to grow up and be a good, compliant little worker bee.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I was in the same Columbine coat-boat as several other people in this thread. My mother had bought me a really. really nice black outback coat/duster the christmas before it happened. Naturally, I wore it all the time. I was quite proud of it because we were struggling and it was lovely to have an actual decent thing like that.

At a certain point, the principal tried to tell me I had to stop, but I was just like “no, I don’t. It was a present from my mom.” I think because I was such a good kid otherwise they just let it slide because it never came up again from anyone but rear end in a top hat students and my parents didn’t get involved or anything like that.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mimesweeper posted:

Man, I'm jealous. I wish something like that would have happened to me. When I asked my parents why people would do that they told me "they're jealous because you're better than them, you're smarter than them."

That attitude sure worked great for the rest of my school career.

drat, that's some uninvolved parenting right there.

Fortunately, my dad rightly saw my bully incident was going to escalate & understood that fighting back like a bastard was the solution. Typical of bullies they just moved onto somebody that won't fight back.

Later on one of the newer kids getting bullied asked me how I got them to leave me alone. I remember the look on his face of sheer panic when he realized that he was going to fight back. It's sad but back then you either ran with the pack, lone wolf or be the sheep. Sounds a little lord of the flies, but it is what it is.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Most of my time in school is just a blur, either from ADHD mania or ADHD med induced fugue state. I would do extremely well at tests and exams, but refused to ever do homework so my grades reflected that. I nearly failed the dumb kid English class, but got the highest marks in my province for physics.

My physics teacher was a cool dude who had a bit of an understanding with me (had the same teacher for all of high school). He'd assign the class homework, which involved doing X pages of this gigantic workbook we'd get at the beginning of the year. I would do 1-3 of the 20+ assigned questions, figure out the method of doing it, and then stop. Then the next day when he checked our homework he would give me detention for not finishing mine. I figured out that if I didn't go to the detention, the next day he would then give me an official MISSED DETENTION slip where I would then have to fill it out with my name and when I would make up the missed time and hand it back to him. Only, the slip would never make it back to him since I would just stuff it into my binder and never get that missed detention.

At first I thought I was so clever and was outfoxing the teacher, but after my 10th slip in the pile in my locker, I came to realize that he didn't care. He was just giving me the initial detentions as a way of keeping up appearances with the rest of class, then not following it up because he knew I didn't need to do the whole assignment.

My art teacher didn't know how to deal with me, so she just put me in her office after she gave everyone an assignment so I wouldn't disrupt the class. I spent hundreds of hours spaced out in that room picking at the desk accomplishing nothing.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If kids were going shooting over the weekend, they were allowed to bring their rifles and shotguns to school, but had to tell a teacher who would put them behind their desk. The kids would just keep the ammo in their bags.

My dad went to the same high school as me, and he talked about how there was a Rifle Club. You'd bring your gun to school, hang out with the teachers who also brought their gun to school, go into the basement where there was a firing range, and target practice for an hour. This wasn't even some rural hick school either, this is a high school in the middle of a large city.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's sad but back then you either ran with the pack, lone wolf or be the sheep. Sounds a little lord of the flies, but it is what it is.

Looking back at it, I'm kind of amazed I didn't get bullied more. I was an awkward loner for most of my teen years. Probably was because I was 6'2 at 16 years.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

drat, that's some uninvolved parenting right there.

I love my parents but my Dad didn't have a Dad most of his life and really had no idea what to do and Mom is nuts (and so am I). They did a great job for what they were dealing with though.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
At my boarding school in the late 1980s some genius had come up with a rule saying No headphones in your bedroom. Why? Because wearing headphones made you less social. Instead you were supposed to ask the other girls in your room if they wanted to listen to music too. Share your music, take turns choosing music, expand your horizons! How many problems do you see with this system?

It worked exactly as well as you think. 4-6 teenage girls to a room. "Hey, I want to listen to my Wham CD again?" You could technically say "No!" and guess how popular THAT made you? And of course, since I was a gothling, I never got to play my CDs, since the other 4 girls would veto my musical tastes. So wham on repeat, with the odd Housemartins, DuranDuran, and Elton John on repeat. Over, and over, and over....While I wanted to listen to Sisters of Mercy and Nick Cave.

One girl was made to apologise to a South African student. why? She felt hurt and felt bullied when the first girl called apartheid a racist policy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BattyKiara posted:

One girl was made to apologise to a South African student. why? She felt hurt and felt bullied when the first girl called apartheid a racist policy.

This confused me for a minute until I realized that of course a South African at boarding school in the 80s would be an Afrikaner.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This confused me for a minute until I realized that of course a South African at boarding school in the 80s would be an Afrikaner.

They made a disney movie about that

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Milo and POTUS posted:

They made a disney movie about that

The little mermaid?

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

After my first "bully" incident in grade school, my pop took us to the Morris Park Boxing Club in the Bronx to learn how to fight. We were the only kids there. Place is a very serious boxing club & at first they said no way, no kids, but they relented after telling them my bully episode & our promise to train hard. Let me tell you, boxers are awesome dudes. It felt like I had 10 different trainers & they got us up to speed in weeks. They taught us a LOT about fighting dirty as gently caress.

It took about 3 more bully fights & 1 massive brawl when they attempted to jump my little brother to retaliate against me after a fight. Got a 2 week suspension for that but my pop kept me training extra while suspended. When I went back to school my confidence was soaring & I got a lot of leery looks from people. Best part was that the nonsense had completely stopped.

you got beat up four more times after your action movie training montage?

is it possible the bullies just levelled up and sought out mobs that dropped better loot and xp bonuses?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Looking back at it, I'm kind of amazed I didn't get bullied more. I was an awkward loner for most of my teen years. Probably was because I was 6'2 at 16 years.

Same, and same, except 6'3". Never once got in a fight after middle school ended.

Fake ninja edit: My schooldays were basically the 80s, in Norway (finished high school in 1992, but by the end of high school we were basically all legal adults and treated as such). This was before the ascendancy of "zero tolerance", and stupid rules weren't especially common. I did spend one year (1989/1990) as an exchange student in the US, which was enlightening (even then, the existence of such things as a "hall pass" or "hall monitors" was weird; back home, if you had to go pee during class you informed the teacher in a non-disruptive manner, went to the bathroom, went back. The idea that the school bus driver wouldn't let you get off anywhere except your home stop was also weird. And so on.)

Groke fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 11, 2019

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

the dean told me I wasn't allowed to bite freshmen when they talked poo poo and shoved their fingers in my face

i mean what else are you gonna do when a kid shoves his hand right up against your mouth

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you were late more than five times, you'd get detention. As I lived 40 km away and my dad drove me to school every morning (he worked in the building across the street), and he was always late for work, I was literally always late to school. Pretty early on they realized a teacher would have to stay after hours every Friday just to oversee my detention so they scrapped the rule I guess.

e: Also "you have to eat everything on your plate" gently caress you put less of your horrible slop on my plate then no-one likes dill meat!

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 11, 2019

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Jerry Cotton posted:

If you were late more than five times, you'd get detention. As I lived 40 km away and my dad drove me to school every morning (he worked in the building across the street), and he was always late for work, I was literally always late to school. Pretty early on they realized a teacher would have to stay after hours every Friday just to oversee my detention so they scrapped the rule I guess.

e: Also "you have to eat everything on your plate" gently caress you put less of your horrible slop on my plate then no-one likes dill meat!

This happened to me too. I lived just outside the bussing range for my high school, and so I had to get a ride from my parents every single day until I got my own car. I'm pretty sure I still have the record at my school for being late every single day. I'd arrive and just walk into the office to let them know I was late again and get a pass to go into home room. After a few months of this they accepted that I had no control over what time I was brought to school, and stopped trying to punish me for it. I never actually served any of the detention they gave me for it, because it would have meant I wouldn't have had a ride home.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I don't even get how "detention" is a legal thing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Groke posted:

Well since they out-lawed any and all violence towards minors you have to have some form of discipline.

Not that detention works or has ever worked.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Groke posted:

I'm pretty sure there is no legal obligation to serve a detention. but if you just walk out the school could expel you

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Jerry Cotton posted:

If you were late more than five times, you'd get detention.
At my school it was three times per semester, I think. Naturally, not being in your classroom in time for the 8:00 AM morning assembly (which practically always started at 8:05 or so) counted as being late, which I guess would've been alright if the janitor didn't always lock the outside doors whenever the gently caress he felt like it.

Since there was never any consistent rule in place, one day you could arrive at 7:55 AM and the doors would be locked, and you'd stand out there in the cold for 20 minutes or however long it would take for Janitor Mini-Elvis to unlock the doors again. Then you'd finally show up in the classroom and the teacher would mock you in front of the class for being late. That was fun.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh man, if you got the hot lunch in grade school they basically gave the same portions to the 6 year old kindergarteners as the 14 year old 8th graders, which was typically way too much food for the younger kids. If someone saw you taking a tray with food still on it to the return window they made you go back to the table and eat more. The little kids learned quickly that you had to be very stealthy, wait for the adults to be distracted and then quickly dump your tray and run outside to play before they caught you.

Forcing kids to eat when they aren't hungry is one of the major contributors to childhood obesity.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i have absolute shitloads of these stories.

background: over my 12 years of required (American) schooling, i attended 7 different schools. the primary reason for this was my father's career - shortly after i was born, he went back to school to get a Ph.D. in analytical chemistry. with a qualification like that, yeah, every time he changed jobs from then on in, we had to move. it didn't help that my dad's prior two jobs had been "farmhand" and "counsellor for emotionally disturbed children" so in addition to moving around a lot, we were pretty poor until his career really got started and i was in like 8th grade. my mother did her best to help out and did a very good job of it (she was an occupational therapist, so a decently well paid professional) but the entire thing was a lot for one income and no financial reserves.

the overall effect here is that until i was in high school, i was always the new kid in poorer school districts where the teachers are less concerned with the proper development of their young wards and more concerned with just getting through the day without something exploding, figuratively or literally. so pretty much every dumb, arbitrary rule that could be leveraged against me would be leveraged against me just to get rid of the odd quantity.

the most egregious of these was when i was in 4th grade. we had just moved to nebraska from virginia for dad's work, and we were living in an ancient duplex that mostly kept the rats out with fastidious cleanliness and hope. i got shoved into a public school that mostly did not keep the rats out but was about two miles from an old money part of town - so the kids there were poor, they knew it, and they knew what that really meant. naturally this meant that most of my classmates were pissed off about something about 4 of the 5 days of the week, and as the new kid from nowhere, i was the easiest target since i didn't have a posse.

getting physically attacked was a near-weekly thing, and verbally attacked happened literally any time class wasn't in session. none of the teachers cared, which i know for a fact because the burnt-out husk of a woman they had running PE told me so. "come back when you lose a tooth" was the specific assertion after watching me get tackled from behind during a soccer game. not a sliding tackle at the ball, like a football tackle. my parents got deflected a few times over 'sports accident' excuses until i was ambushed coming out of a slide by this tiny rear end girl during recess. there was no prelude to the entire thing, she was literally just waiting there and cocked her fist at me as i came to a stop at the bottom of the slide, and she just kept punching. i was pretty used to getting punches thrown at me at this point so i blocked the first couple, but eventually she got by and clipped my temple pretty good, at which point i finally started kicking back. she was half my size so that encouraged her to knock it off fairly fast.

i grew up with seizures that would cause my entire body to lock like rigor mortis, so getting clocked in the head was a particular sore spot for my mother, who absolutely lost it when she picked me up and found my ear and temple still purple and warm. she hunted down the girl who attacked me and screamed at her that if she ever touched me again she'd make sure she was locked up forever.

naturally with a shitstorm that big, the school finally had to act. i got called into a talk with four administrators and my teacher, but they got blindsided by my mother taking off work to attend. they explained they had very specific guidelines for violence and had to suspend me for a month. when my mother asked what happened to the other girl, they said they were taking no action due to 'extenuating circumstances' - when pressed, they asserted that the girl was small and felt like she had to fight. my mother detonated again at the blatant hypocrisy on display and said she'd take the incident to the mayor if she had to. they tried to appease her by changing it from out of school to in school suspension, which was legit better since the policy on that school was to not deliver any kind of lessons to kids under OSS. they were effectively attempting to set me back an entire month and make a case for holding me back and shipping me off somewhere else. my mother agreed, then broke her promise and reported everyone involved to the superintendent anyway after my ISS was up.

my mother told me the next year that the principal had gotten fired for the entire fiasco (but i have little doubt he ended up working somewhere else in no time), and when i googled my bitch PE teacher's name in high school many moons later it turned out she had died of an opioid overdose, which gave me a huge amount of satisfaction at the time. nowadays i just don't care, she reaped what she sowed.

my parents transferred me to a private Catholic school the next year after this and a fistful of similar incidents. people make a lot of dark jokes about catholic schools but mine was really quite good to me. i still got bullied verbally, but not as bad, and the beatings pretty much entirely stopped because the nuns would go ballistic at violence and it was well known that they actually gave a gently caress who threw the first punch. the one time in 4 years that there was a serious altercation, they gave me after school detention with extra homework for a few days for telling the kid to "blow it out your rear end, [gay slur]", but gave the kid who attacked me "cleaning duty" for the rest of the semester - that punishment blew rear end because every passing period you had to stay after to help the nuns straighten desks and put poo poo away, and half of your lunch period was devoted to helping the lunch ladies scrub trays and otherwise handle food waste. if you got detention on top of that at any point, you got assigned to the janitor instead of a teacher, who would usually make you scrub the bathrooms.

i have more stories but this is already a long post. the point here is if you have kids and move schools don't act like they're being whiners when they come home talking about how hard it is to be the new kid. transfer student means 'new and exciting' is literally only a thing in your japanese animes, outside of there transfer student just means 'target'.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

no masturbating in the classroom

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

alpaca diseases posted:

no masturbating in the classroom

You had to go to the hallway to have a nice wank? :monocle:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
At my first HS there was an old, morbidly obese yard supervisor who would spend lunch and recess driving around in a golf cart yelling at kids for walking on the grass (note: there was grass loving everywhere) and whatever else he could think of. For some reason he decided he hated me and my friends in particular, no idea why given were a bunch of nerdy goons who hung out in back corner of the school by the portable and spent all lunch playing D&D and card games. He would legit just drive his loving golf cart up to us and start yelling at us for poo poo like trash he found on the ground 20 meters away, and insist it was us.

Anyway one day the fucker decided that we were gambling and, without even warning us, just went straight to the principal and said he'd caught us gambling with cards. Suddenly a swarm of teachers descend on us and drag us all into the principal's office to explain ourselves. We pull out the deck which is a proprietary card game - they're not even regular playing cards - and explain the rules and that's just a game like Uno. The principal insists that even though they're not playing cards, you can still gamble on the outcome of anything, and so clearly that's what was happening. They confiscated our cards, made us turn out our backpacks and flipped through out notebooks as if they expected to reveal somebody as a loving bookie, and then as a cherry on top told us we also had to hand over any money we had on us until they could be sure it wasn't "dirty" money. :rolleyes: at this point me and another kid flat out say no - we're not giving you one cent - call our parents right now if you don't like it. As an aside the other kid who said no was a six foot ROTC guy who saw us playing D&D one day and sheepishly asked if he could join us because he'd always thought it looked fun. He was super cool but also a muscle-bound giant, and he spent almost this entire meeting giving golf cart guy the worlds longest death stare which was making him visibly uncomfortable.

Anyway parents get called, and mine as well as a few others absolutely flip their poo poo. Eventually our principal - who despite doubling as the macho coach of our (hilariously pathetic) football team was sweating, bug-eyed and shrunk into his chair like a blob - agrees that there won't be any punishment and he'll give the cards back, but insists that we can't have them at school any more "just in case." Okay fine, this is incredibly stupid but whatever. We have a laugh about it and figure that's that.

Next loving day we're in our usual spot playing D&D now, and loving golf cart man motors on up and starts frantically pointing at us like somebody just drew a shotgun. "You've got dice! I knew you were gambling! I knew it!" He immediately grabs the wheel to spin around and tattle on us again, at which point ROTC guy jumps up, sprints in front of the cart to stop him from driving forward, and yells for us to do the same. Me and two others jump up surround the cart, so the guy can't drive without hitting one of us. He goes absolutely ballistic, starts screaming like he's being flayed. Another one of the group goes to a nearby classroom and gets the teacher, brings her over, and explains the situation while golf cart guy constantly tries to cut in to tell this teacher how we're a bunch of filthy liars. Finally the teacher tells us to pack up and get to class because lunch is almost over, and tells golf cart guy she's more than happy to go explain the whole thing to the principal. Sure enough 30 minutes or so later I get yanked out of class, and we're all back in front of the principal. Guy looks like a loving tomato with how red his face is, I thought he might try to punch one of us. He tells us to show him the dice, which we do, and he flat out asks us if we're going to "make things difficult" and call our parents if he takes them. We say that yes, that's exactly what we're going to do, so he gives them back and says same thing as the cards: don't bring it to school because it could be associated with gambling. Next time he catches us we're suspended, end of story. So we've now hat both our usual lunch activities effectively banned.

The good end to the story: one of the English teachers in our grade was an ur-goon, had seen us playing in the past, and had another of our group in his class. When we were forced to stop for a bit, he commented to the guy asking why we'd given up. He explained the whole thing to the teacher, who agreed that was the stupidest poo poo he'd ever heard and offered to let us use his classroom during lunch if we wanted to play D&D away from the watchful eyes of the golf cart police. In retrospect we probably should have realized the teacher with the life-sized cutout of Orlando Bloom as Legolas next to his desk might be amiable to such an arrangement. :v:

That's my long, boring, white-as-gently caress dumb HS story.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh also one time in fourth grade we were playing dodge ball during lunch and I hit some kid right in the face with my shot, and he went down and started sobbing. His parents got pissed, the school banned dodge ball, and everybody blamed me for it. That one's a bit shorter.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lol I spent all of grade 12 just straight up playing poker at lunch, with chips

never for like, money, just bragging rights, but still

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Those of us that smoked in high school used to play quarters at our smoking hill. We were basically dumbshits but walking away from having a smoke with an extra $2.00 was kind of nice.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

I just remembered a dumb rule that came from another student.

I took a test and then swapped it with another person to grade it. She was trying to argue that I had gotten the question wrong because of my handwriting.

"Why'd you mark that one wrong? I got it right!"
"No. Right here, you wrote 'cl' instead of 'd'."
No I didn't, you dumb bitch! That's not even a word! What are the odds that I wrote an unrelated made up word that looks exactly like the correct answer!?

I was going to appeal to the teacher, but then it occurred to me that it was a high school health class that I couldn't possibly fail and the quiz points were meaningless.

Probably the most useful thing I learned in that class, actually.

Komojo fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 12, 2019

Cock Sucker
Nov 14, 2018
High school:. none of the girls got the d from me.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Komojo posted:

I just remembered a dumb rule that came from another student.

I took a test and then swapped it with another person to grade it. She was trying to argue that I had gotten the question wrong because of my handwriting.

"Why'd you mark that one wrong? I got it right!"
"No. Right here, you wrote 'cl' instead of 'd'."
No I didn't, you dumb bitch! That's not even a word! What are the odds that I wrote an unrelated made up word that looks exactly like the correct answer!?

I was going to appeal to the teacher, but then it occurred to me that it was a high school health class that I couldn't possibly fail and the quiz points were meaningless.

Probably the moat useful thing I learned in that class, actually.

In Sophomore honors English we had a really bigoted teacher who generally gave grades based on how poised someone looked. Swapping names on our essays to try to deduce just how the teacher was bigoted was a super fun sleuthing adventure. The key came when the super-driven guy who looked like a stoner swapped names with the hair-in-a-tight-bun business-looking girl who could not give a poo poo about effort. His original paper got an A and hers got a D

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Drunk Nerds posted:

In Sophomore honors English we had a really bigoted teacher who generally gave grades based on how poised someone looked. Swapping names on our essays to try to deduce just how the teacher was bigoted was a super fun sleuthing adventure. The key came when the super-driven guy who looked like a stoner swapped names with the hair-in-a-tight-bun business-looking girl who could not give a poo poo about effort. His original paper got an A and hers got a D

My Finnish teacher hated me and she told me she'd sent my matriculation essay to the board as a cum laude approbatur (it at least used to be common for the grading teachers to tell pupils what the grade was beforehand even though it was forbidden) and the board changed it to a laudatur and the other Finnish teacher laughed at her which was the only time my Finnish grade had any positive effect on my life.

I'm sorry there's no dumb rule involved.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sydin posted:

At my first HS there was an old, morbidly obese yard supervisor who would spend lunch and recess driving around in a golf cart yelling at kids for walking on the grass (note: there was grass loving everywhere) and whatever else he could think of. For some reason he decided he hated me and my friends in particular, no idea why given were a bunch of nerdy goons who hung out in back corner of the school by the portable and spent all lunch playing D&D and card games. He would legit just drive his loving golf cart up to us and start yelling at us for poo poo like trash he found on the ground 20 meters away, and insist it was us.

Anyway one day the fucker decided that we were gambling and, without even warning us, just went straight to the principal and said he'd caught us gambling with cards. Suddenly a swarm of teachers descend on us and drag us all into the principal's office to explain ourselves. We pull out the deck which is a proprietary card game - they're not even regular playing cards - and explain the rules and that's just a game like Uno. The principal insists that even though they're not playing cards, you can still gamble on the outcome of anything, and so clearly that's what was happening. They confiscated our cards, made us turn out our backpacks and flipped through out notebooks as if they expected to reveal somebody as a loving bookie, and then as a cherry on top told us we also had to hand over any money we had on us until they could be sure it wasn't "dirty" money. :rolleyes: at this point me and another kid flat out say no - we're not giving you one cent - call our parents right now if you don't like it. As an aside the other kid who said no was a six foot ROTC guy who saw us playing D&D one day and sheepishly asked if he could join us because he'd always thought it looked fun. He was super cool but also a muscle-bound giant, and he spent almost this entire meeting giving golf cart guy the worlds longest death stare which was making him visibly uncomfortable.

Anyway parents get called, and mine as well as a few others absolutely flip their poo poo. Eventually our principal - who despite doubling as the macho coach of our (hilariously pathetic) football team was sweating, bug-eyed and shrunk into his chair like a blob - agrees that there won't be any punishment and he'll give the cards back, but insists that we can't have them at school any more "just in case." Okay fine, this is incredibly stupid but whatever. We have a laugh about it and figure that's that.

Next loving day we're in our usual spot playing D&D now, and loving golf cart man motors on up and starts frantically pointing at us like somebody just drew a shotgun. "You've got dice! I knew you were gambling! I knew it!" He immediately grabs the wheel to spin around and tattle on us again, at which point ROTC guy jumps up, sprints in front of the cart to stop him from driving forward, and yells for us to do the same. Me and two others jump up surround the cart, so the guy can't drive without hitting one of us. He goes absolutely ballistic, starts screaming like he's being flayed. Another one of the group goes to a nearby classroom and gets the teacher, brings her over, and explains the situation while golf cart guy constantly tries to cut in to tell this teacher how we're a bunch of filthy liars. Finally the teacher tells us to pack up and get to class because lunch is almost over, and tells golf cart guy she's more than happy to go explain the whole thing to the principal. Sure enough 30 minutes or so later I get yanked out of class, and we're all back in front of the principal. Guy looks like a loving tomato with how red his face is, I thought he might try to punch one of us. He tells us to show him the dice, which we do, and he flat out asks us if we're going to "make things difficult" and call our parents if he takes them. We say that yes, that's exactly what we're going to do, so he gives them back and says same thing as the cards: don't bring it to school because it could be associated with gambling. Next time he catches us we're suspended, end of story. So we've now hat both our usual lunch activities effectively banned.

The good end to the story: one of the English teachers in our grade was an ur-goon, had seen us playing in the past, and had another of our group in his class. When we were forced to stop for a bit, he commented to the guy asking why we'd given up. He explained the whole thing to the teacher, who agreed that was the stupidest poo poo he'd ever heard and offered to let us use his classroom during lunch if we wanted to play D&D away from the watchful eyes of the golf cart police. In retrospect we probably should have realized the teacher with the life-sized cutout of Orlando Bloom as Legolas next to his desk might be amiable to such an arrangement. :v:

That's my long, boring, white-as-gently caress dumb HS story.

your parents were right, if you stand up to the bullies they will just run away

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
My sixth grade teacher instituted Collective punishment for all the boys in the class whenever one of us hosed up. Despite the fact that one of the kids in the class was legitimately mentally disturbed and broke rules just to get everyone else in trouble, the rule was never rescinded. We spent maybe one day out of three being held 20 minutes after school as punishment. Some poor school hired her as principal the year after.

Same teacher made me write down 100 synonyms for "poo poo" because I was caught swearing in class. I think I made it to about 30 before I started writing down stuff even less socially acceptable than saying poo poo.

Surprisingly this got me in more trouble.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

At St. Clare's of Assisi in the Bronx everyone wrote cursive WITH fountain pen till 8th grade. We were a hardened team of calligraphers by the time we reached HS. Pencils were only for math & Art.

Woe be onto you caught with Bic pen.

this is fuckin sweet

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I couldn't take programming because "nobody programs their own applications anymore." I dunno if this was fuckin some kind of machine language poo poo or what but a year later they reestablished programming classes and it was already too late I didn't have the prerequisites and there would be no way to get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
When I broke my arm in the 6th form, I was told people weren't allowed to sign or draw on my cast. Because that could lead to people wanting tattoos later in life.