Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Ardulac's thoughts track to me, and I think it's pretty reasonable logic. Too much wifom for me to want to vote mac, but I don't think it's scummy.

I think f_v characterizing Ardulac's post as so obviously bad that not even Ardulac could believe it is really aggressive scum posturing. ##vote fiery_valkyrie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

fiery_valkyrie posted:

And I’m not? Rude. :colbert:

so you agree but you're not changing your vote?

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Ernie. posted:

all i'm saying is im STILL waiting for you to tell me when you're free to watch Making a Murderer together

do you now know what's OFF?!

Off is a really cool French video game that I interpret via Death of The Author to be about the danger of rejecting human-made meaning.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Ok, shall we be friends or frenemies? No other options are on the table.

True friends!

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Ernie. posted:

so you agree but you're not changing your vote?

If you think both Ard and myself have our votes down just to generate content then why aren’t you asking him to change his vote too?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

fiery_valkyrie posted:

If you think both Ard and myself have our votes down just to generate content then why aren’t you asking him to change his vote too?

because his reads like a reaction-fishing vote

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Ardulac posted:

The first thing that stood out to me as a little Scummy was how he showed up, made a joke, got voted, and then disappeared instead of engaging with the person or continuing the joke. It just seems similar to things I've done in the past when I didn't want to draw attention to myself or risk acting unnaturally. Unfortunately, it looks like the post history button is no longer nearly as useful as it used to be, and I can't tell if LM was posting elsewhere (which would be super Scummy) or if he legit wasn't watching the thread after he first posted (null signal). Then he just seemed a bit off when he came back, but I have a harder time articulating the reasons for that feeling.

lol check my Twitch channel dumbdumb

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Ernie. posted:

alright i've thought about this a lot and ##vote lumpen

the only reason to play the way he is is to avoid being voted against, not really a townie point of view

lumpen's usually more of a hound-other-players for their alignment person

I assumed he was doing things to bait out people who had obviously not read the OP.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Hal Incandenza posted:

Yeah and that's kind of why his weird unprompted claim to have done nothing stood out, it's not in step with his normal game which is fairly predictable. Worth keeping an eye on for sure.
In FFIV mafia, the last game I played, he kept dropping cheeky ambiguous scumslips for no reason to go along with an actual scumslip. So, uh, "normal game" is an odd description for him.

"Worth keeping an eye on" is some lukewarm broth, too. This doesn't feel like much of a read, Hal.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Little Mac posted:

I assumed he was doing things to bait out people who had obviously not read the OP.
It kinda reads here like you're defending lumpen by saying he's setting a trap for people who don't read the OP. Are people who don't read the OP more likely to be scum in your estimation?

Or am I misinterpreting the amazing phrase "bait out people"? Or that it was a defense?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

fiery_valkyrie posted:

"Please look at someone else and not me."

I really like Ernie's point. You admit you thought of ards post as early game pot stirring after making a pretty heavy case against him for this early D1, moreso than just "generating content".

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Ugh it's really hard to read multiple posts and go back through histories on the phone. Feels so disjointed. Hates it.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Pander posted:

It kinda reads here like you're defending lumpen by saying he's setting a trap for people who don't read the OP. Are people who don't read the OP more likely to be scum in your estimation?

Or am I misinterpreting the amazing phrase "bait out people"? Or that it was a defense?

I'm wondering about Ernie's thought process

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Little Mac posted:

I'm wondering about Ernie's thought process
My question was what did you mean about lumpen baiting out players who didn't read the OP?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I'm so glad "Sass seems feigned" is becoming a meme this game, cause I am gonna catch a scum so fast once it gets used on me

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

you're calling his post fake but also explaining why it could be okay? meh ##vote f_v

Where does FV do that in the post you quoted? I don't see that.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Pander posted:

My question was what did you mean about lumpen baiting out players who didn't read the OP?

That flavor stuff mostly, his faux coyness. He's looking for idiots

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Little Mac posted:

Pander posted:

I like what you're getting at here, cause LMac's reasoning there seems like a really big leap to just "assume"

I could see Lumpen as a townie pulling the Anidav routine, of thinking he's got a hot flavour lead and he's got some kind of moral duty to do his best to report it, even if it ends up sounding dumb and distracting.

In fact, I'm starting to believe that more now cause I just don't get where is LMac pulling this whole plan from if he doesn't already know Lumpen is town

##vote LMac

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Bifauxnen posted:

I'm so glad "Sass seems feigned" is becoming a meme this game, cause I am gonna catch a scum so fast once it gets used on me

Not a very sassy take

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

All these votes seem bad??

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

All these votes seem bad??

You should feel bad

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

hm

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

mh

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pander posted:

Where does FV do that in the post you quoted? I don't see that.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I don’t think you believe what you just wrote either. But it’s D1 and you got backed into defending a comment that you probably didn’t put any thought into.

your post here feels fake as well.

##vote Ardulac

fiery_valkyrie posted:

But it’s D1 and

c'mon, it's only like a three sentence post

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Hmmmm

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

mmmmH

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Bifauxnen posted:

This is a weird post, buddy.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ernie. posted:

alright i've thought about this a lot and ##vote lumpen

the only reason to play the way he is is to avoid being voted against, not really a townie point of view

lumpen's usually more of a hound-other-players for their alignment person

this seems like a reasonable argument

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bifauxnen posted:

quality seems feigned

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

fiery_valkyrie posted:

So he could be scum, or he could have stopped reading this thread? Hmmm.

I don’t believe that and to be honest I don’t think you believe what you just wrote either. But it’s D1 and you got backed into defending a comment that you probably didn’t put any thought into.

It was the vote from B- that I was suspicious of because it just came across as really forced to me, but your post here feels fake as well.

##vote Ardulac

Best vote so far today: ##vote Ardulac

Look at these Ardulac posts:

Ardulac posted:

Hmm... what am I doing wrong here?

##vote Little Mac

Ardulac posted:

The first thing that stood out to me as a little Scummy was how he showed up, made a joke, got voted, and then disappeared instead of engaging with the person or continuing the joke. It just seems similar to things I've done in the past when I didn't want to draw attention to myself or risk acting unnaturally. Unfortunately, it looks like the post history button is no longer nearly as useful as it used to be, and I can't tell if LM was posting elsewhere (which would be super Scummy) or if he legit wasn't watching the thread after he first posted (null signal). Then he just seemed a bit off when he came back, but I have a harder time articulating the reasons for that feeling.

This is a dude who made a vote and then tried to invent the reason for the vote.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm not going to vote Lumpen today. I have no idea what his alignment is and know I will not know before the end of the day regardless of what happens from a content perspective.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the actual content of my hm was "wow kaschei sure is around and seems to be commenting on posts"

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Okay, I figured out what you meant.

I think the fact that he is defending an argument that I don't think he agrees with makes it worse to me. It feels like he is really concerned with how he is perceived and is willing to double down on his vote than just be all "eh, day 1".

Captain Foo posted:

c'mon, it's only like a three sentence post

Captain Foo, I don't think FV is being contradictory, or saying the post FV quoted is OK because 'it's day one' (offering an excuse) while throwing shade on it. FV is pretty clearly saying that it's weird that someone double downs on defending themselves seriously on day one because it's supposed to be an easy breezy day. So they aren't offering an excuse while voting but are instead trying to explain why in particular the quoted post is bad. So your read is wrong Imo if I'm correct.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Toalpaz posted:

Captain Foo, I don't think FV is being contradictory, or saying the post FV quoted is OK because 'it's day one' (offering an excuse) while throwing shade on it. FV is pretty clearly saying that it's weird that someone double downs on defending themselves seriously on day one because it's supposed to be an easy breezy day. So they aren't offering an excuse while voting but are instead trying to explain why in particular the quoted post is bad. So your read is wrong Imo if I'm correct.

well it's obviously not "pretty clearly saying" anything seeing as how there's been different reads of it!!

also nobody says d1 is easy, but i'll roll with your gimmick, i guess

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

well it's obviously not "pretty clearly saying" anything seeing as how there's been different reads of it!!

also nobody says d1 is easy, but i'll roll with your gimmick, i guess

Okay where is the point where FV says Ardulacs post could actually be Townie and okay? The sentence that you point to to show a contradiction is this:

'But it’s D1 and you got backed into defending a comment that you probably didn’t put any thought into. '

FV is clearly saying that self conscious scum dug into their position fearing people examining them because they're self conscious scum concerned with how they'd appear. Can you explain how this sentence excuses Ardulac instead?

I think you barely read the post usually ' but it's day one's typically are followed by' so I could be wrong ' but instead this one is expanding on FVs reasoning.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

George Kansas posted:

Ardulac's thoughts track to me, and I think it's pretty reasonable logic. Too much wifom for me to want to vote mac, but I don't think it's scummy.

I think f_v characterizing Ardulac's post as so obviously bad that not even Ardulac could believe it is really aggressive scum posturing. ##vote fiery_valkyrie
I don't like the content of Ardulac's big post at all, but I don't want to vote someone who posts big posts. Ardulac's big post has scummy content.

With that in mind, I do not like any aspect of this post from George Kansas at all. Bad vote, bad posture, bad reasoning.
Rereading his other posts I don't find anything persuasively exculpatory, previous vote "Pander sass feels feigned" also bad.
##vote George Kansas

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lumpen posted:

but I don't want to vote someone who posts big posts.

this is terrible reasoning on its own and you should know why

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Lumpen posted:

I don't like the content of Ardulac's big post at all, but I don't want to vote someone who posts big posts. Ardulac's big post has scummy content.

With that in mind, I do not like any aspect of this post from George Kansas at all. Bad vote, bad posture, bad reasoning.
Rereading his other posts I don't find anything persuasively exculpatory, previous vote "Pander sass feels feigned" also bad.
##vote George Kansas

Hmm, this is also good. For me, though, I think it only really makes sense if George Kansas is scum who wants to talk negatively about an easy case that will build up on town (Ardulac). I could get behind this vote - let me think.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

merk posted:

This is a weird post, buddy.

I'm not your buddy, mate

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Toalpaz posted:

Okay where is the point where FV says Ardulacs post could actually be Townie and okay? The sentence that you point to to show a contradiction is this:

'But it’s D1 and you got backed into defending a comment that you probably didn’t put any thought into. '

FV is clearly saying that self conscious scum dug into their position fearing people examining them because they're self conscious scum concerned with how they'd appear. Can you explain how this sentence excuses Ardulac instead?

I think you barely read the post usually ' but it's day one's typically are followed by' so I could be wrong ' but instead this one is expanding on FVs reasoning.

why are you ignoring the fact that the word "but" is in there, typically used to mark a reversal of intent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Bifauxnen posted:

I'm not your buddy, mate

I'm not your mate, friend.