Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Sperglord Actual posted:

Bond's marksmanship continues to strain plausibility.

It is, in fact, essentially the only thing Book Bond is actually very good at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
"MY BLOOD GROUP IS F."

Is this some sort of older blood type system that predates ABO, or what?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The_White_Crane posted:

It is, in fact, essentially the only thing Book Bond is actually very good at.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

chitoryu12 posted:

Tiffany Case is so far the best Bond Girl in the books and honestly even more competent than Bond at everything but marksmanship.

It's pretty much inevitable that Fleming is going to kill her off, isn't it? :(

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

ulmont posted:

"MY BLOOD GROUP IS F."

Is this some sort of older blood type system that predates ABO, or what?

It's a blood type for chimpanzees and cows. Maybe he is a chimp or cow.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Quick, Tiffany! To the Bondulance!

*spinning gun barrel transition*

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm going to be in Boston until Saturday on a business trip, so I'm putting out another chapter to help tide you over.

Chapter 20: Love And Sauce Béarnaise

quote:

Punctually at eight, the great reverberating efflatus of the Queen Elizabeth’s siren made the glass tremble in the skyscrapers and the tugs fussed the big ship out into midstream and nosed her round and, at a cautious five knots, she moved slowly down-river on the slack tide.

There would be a pause to drop the pilot at the Ambrose Light and then the quadruple screws would whip the sea into cream and the Elizabeth would give a shudder of release and lance off on the long flat arc up from the 45th to the 50th parallel and the dot on it that was Southampton.

Sitting in his cabin, listening to the quiet creak of the woodwork and watching his pencil on the dressing-table roll slowly between his hair-brush and the edge of his passport, Bond remembered the days when her course had been different, when she had zig-zagged deep into the South Atlantic as she played her game of hide-and-seek with the U-boat wolfpacks, en route for the flames of Europe. It was still an adventure, but now the Queen, in her cocoon of protective radio impulses – her radar, her Loran, her echo-sounder – moved with the precautions of an oriental potentate among his bodyguards and outriders, and, so far as Bond was concerned, boredom and indigestion would be the only hazards of the voyage.

I have a feeling getting all this italicizing right will be very annoying soon.

The zig-zags and U-Boat packs were a fact of life of transatlantic crossings in World War II. The Battle of the Atlantic is classified as the longest military campaign of the war, from the time it started in 1939 until it ended in 1945. As an island nation cut off from Europe by the German occupation, the UK was reliant on ships and planes for supplies to keep the war going. Thousands of ships crossed back and forth, zig-zagging to avoid any kind of predictable route that could be intercepted, and engaging in well over 1000 battles and ship vs. ship encounters.

Repainted in battleship gray, the RMS Queen Elizabeth was a valuable troop transport for her high speed. She carried over 750,000 troops during the war before entering her intended role as a passenger liner.

quote:

He picked up the telephone and asked for Miss Case. When she heard his voice she gave a theatrical groan. ‘The sailor hates the sea,’ she said. ‘I’m feeling sick already and we’re still in the river.’

Seriously. Every single line from Tiffany Case makes her out to be an incredibly interesting and engaging person who clearly gets up to a lot more action than just this book. It also makes the travesty that is the film adaptation even worse in how it treated her.

quote:

‘Just as well,’ said Bond. ‘Stay in your cabin and live on dramamine and champagne. I’ll be no good for two or three days. I’m going to get the doctor and the masseur from the Turkish bath and try and stick the bits together again. And anyway it won’t do any harm to stay out of sight for most of the voyage. It’s just conceivable they picked us up in New York.’

‘Well, if you promise to call me up every day,’ said Tiffany, ‘and promise to take me to this Veranda Grill place as soon as I feel I can swallow a little caviar. Okay?’

Bond laughed. ‘If you absolutely insist,’ he said. ‘And now listen, in exchange, I want you to try and remember anything you can about A B C and the London end of this business. That telephone number. And anything else. I’ll tell you what it’s all about and why I’m interested as soon as I can, but in the meantime you’ve just got to trust me. Is it a deal?’

‘Oh, sure,’ said the girl indifferently, as if all that side of her life had lost its importance; and for ten minutes Bond questioned her minutely, but except for small details, fruitlessly, about the A B C routine.

Then he put down the receiver and rang for the steward and ordered some dinner and sat down to write the long report which he would have to transpose into code and send off that night.

The ‘Metal Mike’ took the ship quietly on into the darkness and the small township of three thousand five hundred souls settled down to the five days of its life in which there would be all the happenings natural to any other sizeable community – burglaries, fights, seductions, drunkenness, cheating; perhaps a birth or two, the chance of a suicide and, in a hundred crossings, perhaps even a murder.

As the iron town loped easily along the broad Atlantic swell and the soft night wind thrummed and moaned in the masthead, the radio aerials were already transmitting the morse of the duty operator to the listening ear of Portishead.

And what the duty operator was sending at exactly ten p.m. Eastern Standard Time was a cable addressed: A B C, CARE HOUSE OF DIAMONDS, HATTON GARDEN, LONDON, which said: PARTIES LOCATED STOP IF MATTER REQUIRES DRASTIC SOLUTION ESSENTIAL YOU STATE PRICE PAYABLE IN DOLLARS. The signature was WINTER.

An hour later, while the Queen Elizabeth’s operator was sighing at the thought of having to transmit five hundred five-letter groups addressed: THE MANAGING DIRECTOR, UNIVERSAL EXPORT, REGENTS PARK, LONDON, Portishead radio was sending a short cable addressed: WINTER FIRST CLASS PASSENGER QUEEN ELIZABETH, which said: DESIRES TIDY SPEEDY CONCLUSION OF CASE REPEAT CASE STOP WILL PAY TWENTY GRAND STOP WILL PERSONALLY HANDLE OTHER SUBJECT ON ARRIVAL LONDON CONFIRM A B C.

And the operator looked up Winter in the passenger list and put the message in an envelope and sent it down to a cabin on A deck, the deck below Bond and the girl, where two men were playing gin-rummy in their shirt-sleeves, and as the steward left the cabin he heard the fat man say cryptically to the man with white hair, ‘Whaddya know, Booful! It’s twenty Grand for a rub these days. Boy-oh-boy!’

On the third day of the voyage, Bond and Tiffany make a date for cocktails in the Observation Lounge and dinner at the Veranda Grill.

quote:

‘What kind of a table’s this?’ she inquired sarcastically. ‘You ashamed of me or something? Here I put on the best those Hollywood pansies can dream up and you hide me away like I was Miss Rheingold 1914. I want to have myself some fun on this old paddleboat and you put me in a corner as if I was catching.’

‘That’s about it,’ said Bond. ‘All you want to do is put the other men’s temperatures up.’

‘What d’you expect a girl to do on the Queen Elizabeth? Fish?’

Bond laughed. He signalled to the waiter and ordered Vodka dry Martinis with lemon peel. ‘I could give you one alternative.’

Bond may drink a lot of whiskey, but I can see where the "vodka martini, shaken not stirred" came from. He downs tons of them and will even order them for other people without asking. In the era of the craft cocktail, I find them perfectly boring and okay drinks for getting drunk without much care.

quote:

‘Dear Diary,’ said the girl, ‘having wonderful time with handsome Englishman. Trouble is, he’s after my family jewels. What do I do? Yours truly puzzled.’ Then suddenly she leant over and put her hand on his. ‘Listen, you Bond person,’ she said. ‘I’m as happy as a cricket. I love being here. I love being with you. And I love this nice dark table where no one can see me holding your hand. Don’t mind my talk. I just can’t get over being so happy. Don’t mind my silly jokes, will you?’

She was wearing a heavy cream Shantung silk shirt and a charcoal skirt in a cotton-and-wool mixture. The neutral colours showed off her café-au-lait sunburn. The small square Cartier watch with the black strap was her only jewellery and the short fingernails on the small brown hand that lay over his were unpainted. The reflected sunlight from outside shone on the pale gold heavy falling swerve of her hair, in the depths of the chatoyant grey eyes, and on the glint of white teeth between the luxurious lips that were half open with her question.

Tiffany asks for Bond's real identity, and he finally admits to being a government agent (though he'll only go so far as "civil servant" rather than "secret agent") trying to shut down the smuggling ring. She asks him why he hasn't married and just sticks to having affairs.

quote:

‘I expect because I think I can handle life better on my own. Most marriages don’t add two people together. They subtract one from the other.’

Tiffany Case thought this over. ‘Maybe there’s something in that,’ she said finally. ‘But it depends what you want to add up to. Something human or something inhuman. You can’t be complete by yourself.’

‘What about you?’

The girl hadn’t wanted the question. ‘Maybe I just settled for the inhuman,’ she said shortly. ‘And who in hell do you think I should have married? Shady Tree?’

‘There must have been lots of others.’

‘Well, there weren’t,’ she said angrily. ‘Maybe you think I shouldn’t have mixed with these people. Well, I guess I just got off on the wrong step.’ The flare of anger died and she looked at him defensively. ‘It does happen to people, James. It really does. And sometimes it’s really not their fault.’

James Bond put out his hand and held hers tightly. ‘I know, Tiffany,’ he said. ‘Felix told me a bit about things. That’s why I haven’t asked any questions. Just don’t think about it. It’s here and today now. Not yesterday.’ He changed the subject. ‘Now you give me some facts. For instance, why are you called Tiffany and what’s it like being a dealer at the Tiara? How the hell did you come to be so good? It was brilliant the way you handled those cards. If you can do that you can do anything.’

‘Thanks, pal,’ said the girl ironically. ‘Like what? Playing the boats? And the reason I got called Tiffany is because when I was born, dear father Case was so sore I wasn’t a boy he gave my mother a thousand bucks and a powder case from Tiffany’s and walked out. Joined the Marines. In the end he got killed at Iwo Jima. So my mother just called me Tiffany Case and set about earning a living for us both. Started with a string of call-girls and then got more ambitious. Maybe that doesn’t sound so good to you?’ She looked at him half defensively and half pleadingly.

‘Doesn’t worry me,’ said Bond dryly. ‘You weren’t one of the girls.’

She shrugged her shoulders. ‘Then the place got busted by the gangs.’ She paused and drank the rest of her Martini. ‘And I lit out on my own. The usual jobs a girl takes. Then I found my way to Reno. They’ve got a School of Dealing there and I signed on and worked like hell at it. Took the full course. Majored in craps, roulette and blackjack. You can earn good money dealing. Two hundred a week. The men like to have girls dealing, and it gives the women confidence. They think you’ll be kind to them. Sisters under the skin kind of. The men dealers frighten them. But don’t get the idea it’s fun. It reads better than it lives.’

Tiffany's backstory is even more captivating than the rest of the girls we've seen so far. Vesper was a girl manipulated into becoming a Soviet agent by torturing her boyfriend, Solitaire was a Haitian plantation girl brought to New York by a criminal, and Gala Brand was a no-nonsense cop who had no time for Bond's shenanigans. Tiffany has had a lovely life from day one of her existence, hosed by fate every step of the way, hardening her but turning her into a wisecracking professional criminal. Even in her early 20s, she can maintain a perfect poker face while backstabbing one of the most dangerous mobsters in America. The girl's hardcore.

quote:

She paused and smiled up at him. ‘Now it’s your turn again,’ she said. ‘Buy me another drink and then tell me what sort of a woman you think would add to you.’

Bond gave his order to the steward. He lit a cigarette and turned back to her. ‘Somebody who can make Sauce Béarnaise as well as love,’ he said.

‘Holy mackerel! Just any old dumb hag who can cook and lie on her back?’

‘Oh, no. She’s got to have all the usual things that all women have.’ Bond examined her. ‘Gold hair. Grey eyes. A sinful mouth. Perfect figure. And of course she’s got to make lots of funny jokes and know how to dress and play cards and so forth. The usual things.’

‘And you’d marry this person if you found her?’

‘Not necessarily,’ said Bond. ‘Matter of fact I’m almost married already. To a man. Name begins with M. I’d have to divorce him before I tried marrying a woman. And I’m not sure I’d want that. She’d get me handing round canapés in an L-shaped drawing-room. And there’d be all those ghastly “Yes, you did – no I didn’t” rows that seem to go with marriage. It wouldn’t last. I’d get claustrophobia and run out on her. Get myself sent to Japan or somewhere.’

‘What about children?’

‘Like to have some,’ said Bond shortly. ‘But only when I retire. Not fair on the children otherwise. My job’s not all that secure.’ He looked into his drink and swallowed it down. ‘And what about you, Tiffany?’ he said to change the subject.

I think Fleming was a big fan of Japan, despite the relationship he had with it in the war. Bond does indeed have a lot of fun there later.

quote:

‘I guess every girl would like to come home and find a hat on the hall table,’ said Tiffany moodily. ‘Trouble is I’ve never found the right sort of thing growing under the hat. Maybe I haven’t looked hard enough or in the right places. You know how it is when you get in a groove. You get so that you’re quite glad not to look over the edges. In that way I’ve had it good with the Spangs. Always knew where the next meal was coming from. Put some money by. But a girl can’t have friends in that company. You either put up a notice saying “No Entry” or you’re apt to pick up a bad case of round heels. But I guess I’m fed up with being on my own. You know what the chorines say on Broadway? “It’s a lonesome wash without a man’s shirt in it”.’

Bond laughed. ‘Well, you’re out of the groove now,’ he said. He looked at her quizzically. ‘But what about Mister Seraffimo? Those two bedrooms on the Pullman and the champagne supper laid for two ...’

Before he could finish, her eyes blazed briefly and she stood up from the table and walked straight out of the bar.

And of course he just has to torpedo everything before it even starts.

quote:

Bond cursed himself. He put some money down on the bill and hurried after her. He caught up with her half way down the Promenade Deck. ‘Now listen, Tiffany,’ he began.

She turned brusquely round and faced him. ‘How mean can you be?’ she said and angry tears glistened on her eyelashes. ‘Why do you have to spoil everything with an abrasive remark like that? Oh, James,’ forlornly she turned to the windows, searching for a handkerchief in her bag. She dabbed her eyes. ‘You just don’t understand.’

Bond put an arm round her and held her to him. ‘My darling.’ He knew that nothing but the great step of physical love would cure these misunderstandings, but that words and time still had to be wasted. ‘I didn’t mean to hurt you. I just wanted to know for certain. That was a bad night on the train and that supper-table hurt me much more than what happened later. I had to ask you.’

She looked up at him doubtfully. ‘You mean that?’ she said searching his face. ‘You mean you liked me already?’

‘Don’t be a goose,’ said Bond impatiently. ‘Don’t you know anything about anything?’

If you recall Tiffany's childhood, she hasn't really had any kind of serious love in her life. Her first experience with sex was being gang raped as a teenager. She reacts to love with suspicion and fear, unwilling to trust if any man who seems attracted to her is just planning to use her for their own ends.

It's important to note that Fleming is writing such a complex character in the 1950s, long before any serious modern feminist movement became mainstream and less than 40 years after the UK granted women the right to vote. While he may stumble and fail to live up to modern standards, Tiffany Case has been a very rounded and engaging female deuteragonist who can easily match wits with James Bond, the very picture of masculine fantasy.

quote:

She turned away from him and looked out of the window at the endless blue sea and at the handful of dipping gulls that were keeping company with their wonderfully prodigal ship. After a while she said: ‘You ever read Alice in Wonderland?’

‘Years ago,’ said Bond, surprised. ‘Why?’

‘There’s a line there I often think of,’ she said. ‘It says, “Oh, Mouse, do you know the way out of this pool of tears? I am very tired of swimming about here, oh Mouse.” Remember? Well, I thought you were going to tell me the way out. Instead of that you ducked me in the pool. That’s why I got upset.’ She glanced up at him. ‘But I guess you didn’t mean to hurt.’

Bond looked quietly at her mouth and then kissed her hard on the lips.

She didn’t respond, but broke away, and her eyes were laughing again. She linked her arm high up in his and turned towards the open doors that led to the lift. ‘Take me down,’ she said. ‘I must go and rewrite my face, and anyway I want to spend a long time dressing the business for sale.’ She paused and then put her mouth close up to his ear. ‘In case it interests you, James Bond,’ she said softly. ‘I’ve never what you’d call “slept with a man” in my life.’ She tugged at his arm. ‘And now come on,’ she said brusquely. ‘And anyway it’s time you went and had a “Hot Domestic”. I suppose that’s part of the subject-language you’ll be wanting me to pick up. You subject-people surely do write up the craziest things in your bathrooms.’

Bond took her to her cabin and then went on to his and had a ‘Hot Salt’ bath followed by a ‘Cold Domestic’ shower. Then he lay on his bed and smiled to himself over some of the things she had said, and thought of her lying in her bath looking at the forest of bath-taps and thinking how crazy the English were.

I think following a hot bath or shower with a cold one is another Fleming quirk that he added to the character. I don't think I know anyone else who does it.

quote:

There was a knock on the door and his steward came in with a small tray which he placed on the table.

‘What the hell’s that?’ said Bond.

‘Just come up from the chef, Sir,’ said the Steward and went out and closed the cabin door.

Bond slipped off the bed and went over and examined the contents of the tray. He smiled to himself. There was a quarter bottle of Bollinger, a chafing dish containing four small slivers of steak on toast canapés, and a small bowl of sauce. Beside this was a pencilled note which said ‘This Sauce Béarnaise has been created by Miss T. Case without my assistance.’ Signed ‘The Chef’.

Bond filled a glass with champagne and spread a lot of the Béarnaise on a piece of the steak and munched it carefully. Then he went to the telephone.

‘Tiffany?’

He heard the low delighted laugh at the other end.

‘Well, you can certainly make wonderful Sauce Béarnaise …’

He put the receiver back on its cradle.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

He knew that nothing but the great step of physical love would cure these misunderstandings, but that words and time still had to be wasted.

Of course the best way to make up for sticking your foot in your mouth is sticking your dick in the person you just upset. Thinking with the wrong head there Jimbo!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

On the other hand, Bond/Fleming takes time to think things like this:

quote:

Yes, he thought. It will be all right. That side of it. But was he prepared for the consequences? Once he had taken her by the hand it would be for ever. He would be in the role of the healer, the analyst, to whom the patient had transferred her love and trust on her way out of the illness. There would be no cruelty equal to dropping her hand once he had taken it in his. Was he ready for all that that meant in his life and his career?

He realizes this isn't a girl he can have a casual fling with, not without hurting her, and that a relationship with her would take a lot of patience and work on his side. Another example of Bond being a softie deep down.

He's besotted with her, probably because she's an equal to him in many ways. Something he seems to look for in a woman which has it's culmination in a few books with Tracy.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Astroman posted:

On the other hand, Bond/Fleming takes time to think things like this:

He realizes this isn't a girl he can have a casual fling with, not without hurting her, and that a relationship with her would take a lot of patience and work on his side. Another example of Bond being a softie deep down.

He's besotted with her, probably because she's an equal to him in many ways. Something he seems to look for in a woman which has it's culmination in a few books with Tracy.

The relation between Bond and Tiffany very much reminds me of the Travis McGee books; McGee also frequently gets involved with women who are trying to escape traumatic and dangerous situations, and ends up helping them to recover.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It’s very interesting because Fleming is a lot more “feminist” than many men of his period, but seems to be struggling to conflate that with his upbringing. Remember that he was 10 years old when British women gained the right to vote. He consistently writes strong and complex female characters who claw themselves out of adversity and provide serious help in defeating the bad guys, but are still secretly emotional and need the help of a man to solve their issues.

It’s similar to his treatment of race. The same book will include tons of racist statements and slurs, but also depict both black villains and allies as strong and equal to the white men. If he had been born 60 or 70 years later, he’d likely have been pretty progressive in his social views. As it is, he’s almost got a cognitive dissonance between his actual experiences with women and racial minorities and the way he was raised to find himself superior as a white Englishman.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

chitoryu12 posted:

It’s very interesting because Fleming is a lot more “feminist” than many men of his period, but seems to be struggling to conflate that with his upbringing. Remember that he was 10 years old when British women gained the right to vote. He consistently writes strong and complex female characters who claw themselves out of adversity and provide serious help in defeating the bad guys, but are still secretly emotional and need the help of a man to solve their issues.

It’s similar to his treatment of race. The same book will include tons of racist statements and slurs, but also depict both black villains and allies as strong and equal to the white men. If he had been born 60 or 70 years later, he’d likely have been pretty progressive in his social views. As it is, he’s almost got a cognitive dissonance between his actual experiences with women and racial minorities and the way he was raised to find himself superior as a white Englishman.

This is why I always believe in the currently unwoke and "objectively wrong" opinion that you have to take art, literature, and philosophy in the context of it's times. You can't drat our ancestors for not having modern perspectives and sensibilities, and throw them out because they aren't sufficiently progressive. You can instead enjoy stuff for what it was, and celebrate the moments when they managed to be a little ahead of their times.

This debate is nothing new. One of the reasons for Purgatory in early Christian philosophy was they were reading guys like Plato and Cicero and thinking "Wow, these guys had good ideas and seemed morally right, it's too bad they never were introduced to the Judeo-Christian God and are probably in Hell and we can't like them. Hmm....what if there was another place their souls could end up..."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chapter 23: The Job Comes Second

quote:

It is an intoxicating moment in a love-affair when, for the first time, in a public place, in a restaurant or a theatre, the man puts his hand down and lays it on the thigh of the girl and when she slips her hand over his and presses the man’s hand against her. The two gestures say everything that can be said. All is agreed. All the pacts are signed. And there is a long minute of silence during which the blood sings.

It was eleven o’clock and there was only a scattering of people left in the corners of the Veranda Grill. There was a soft sighing from the moonlit sea outside as the great liner scythed the black meadow of the Atlantic and, in the stern, only the slightest lope in her stride indicated a long soft swell, the slow, twelve-a-minute heart-beat of a sleeping ocean, to the two people sitting close together behind the pink-shaded light.

The waiter came with the bill and their hands separated. But now there was all the time in the world and no need for reassurance from words or contact, and the girl laughed happily up into Bond’s face as the waiter drew out the table and they walked towards the door.

They got into the lift for the Promenade Deck. ‘And now what, James?’ said Tiffany. ‘I’d like some more coffee, and a Stinger made with white Crème de Menthe, while we listen to the Auction Pool. I’ve heard so much about it and we might make a fortune.’

‘All right,’ said Bond. ‘Anything you say.’ He held her arm close to him as they sauntered through the big lounge where Bingo was still being played and through the waiting ballroom where the musicians were trying out a few chords. ‘But don’t make me buy a number. It’s a pure gamble and five per cent goes to charity. Nearly as bad as Las Vegas odds. But it’s fun if there’s a good auctioneer, and they tell me there’s plenty of money on board this trip.’

The smoking-room was almost empty and they chose a small table away from the platform where the Chief Steward was laying out the auctioneer’s paraphernalia, the box for the numbered slips, the hammer, the carafe of water.

‘In the theatre this is what’s known as “dressing a thin house”,’ said Tiffany as they sat down amidst the forest of empty chairs and tables. But, as Bond gave his order to the steward, the doors leading to the cinema opened and soon there were nearly a hundred people in the Smoking Room.

The auctioneer, a paunchy, jovial Midlands businessman with a red carnation in the buttonhole of his dinner jacket, rapped on his table for silence and announced that the Captain’s estimate of the next day’s run lay between 720 and 739 miles, that any distance shorter than 720 was the Low Field and anything longer than 739 the High Field. ‘And now, ladies and gentlemen, let’s see if we can’t break the record for this trip which stands at the impressive figure of £2400 in the Pool’ (applause).

Betting pools on the ship's mileage were common in the days of passenger liners. You would try to guess how many miles the ship would travel each day, usually within 10 miles above or below the captain's own estimate. Roald Dahl (who shares a similar history as Fleming, being an author who worked for British intelligence in World War II) wrote a short story, "Dip in the Pool", about a desperate gambler who dives off the ship in the hopes of slowing it down and winning the bet, only to find that his sole witness is a dementia patient who isn't believed.

quote:

A steward offered the box of folded numbers to the richest-looking woman in the room and then handed up the piece of paper she had drawn to the auctioneer.

‘Well, ladies and gentlemen, here we have an exceptionally good number to start with. 738. Right in the top range and since I see a lot of new faces here tonight (laughter) I think we can all agree that the sea is exceptionally calm. Ladies and gentlemen. What am I bid for 738? May I say £50? Will anybody bid me £50 for this lucky number? 20 was it you said, Sir? Well, we’ve got to start somewhere. Any increase ... 25. Thank you, madam. And 30. 40 over there, steward. And 45 from my friend Mr Rothblatt. Thank you, Charlie. Any increase on £45 for No. 738? 50. Thank you, madam, and now we’re all back where we started. (Laughter.) Any increase on £50? Nobody tempted? High number. Calm sea. £50. Will anybody say 55? Going at £50. Going once. Going twice.’ And the raised hammer fell with a bang.

‘Well, thank heavens he’s a good auctioneer,’ said Bond. ‘That was a good number and cheap if this weather goes on and nobody falls overboard. The High Field’ll cost a packet this evening. Everyone will expect us to do more than 739 miles in this weather.’

‘What do you mean by a packet?’ asked Tiffany.

‘Two hundred pounds. Perhaps more. I expect the ordinary numbers will sell for around a hundred. The first number’s always cheaper than the others. People haven’t warmed up. The only smart thing you can do at this game is buy the first number. Any of them can win, but the first costs less.’

As Bond finished speaking, the next number was knocked down for £90 to a pretty, excited girl who was obviously being staked by her companion, a grey-haired, fresh-complexioned man who looked a caricature of an Esquire sugar-daddy.

‘Go on. Buy me a number, James,’ said Tiffany. ‘You really don’t treat a girl right. Look at the way that nice man treats his girl.’

‘He’s past the age of consent,’ said Bond. ‘He must be sixty. Up to forty, girls cost nothing. After that you have to pay money, or tell a story. Of the two it’s the story that hurts most.’ He smiled into her eyes. ‘Anyway I’m not forty yet.’

‘Don’t be conceited,’ said the girl. She looked at his mouth. ‘They say that older men make much the best lovers. And yet you’re not naturally a tightwad. I bet it’s because gambling’s illegal in subject-ships or something.’

‘It’s all right outside the 3-mile limit,’ said Bond. ‘But even so the Cunard have been drat careful not to involve the Company in it. Listen to this.’ He picked up an orange card that lay on their table. ‘“Auction Sweepstake on Ship’s Daily Run”,’ he read. ‘“In view of inquiries it is considered desirable to re-state the Company’s position in connection with the above. It is not the Company’s wish that the Smoke Room Steward or other members of the ship’s personnel should play an active part in organizing sweepstakes on the daily run.”’ Bond looked up. ‘You see,’ he said. ‘Playing it pretty close to the chest. And then they go on: “The Company suggests that the passengers should elect a Committee from amongst themselves to formulate and control the details ... the Smoke Room Steward may, if requested and if his duties permit, render such assistance as the Committee require for auctioning of numbers.”

‘Pretty cagey,’ commented Bond. ‘It’s the committee that holds the baby if there’s any trouble. And listen to this. This is where the trouble comes in.’ He read on: ‘“The Company draws special attention to the provisions of the United Kingdom Finance Regulations as affecting the negotiability of sterling cheques and the limitation on the importation of sterling banknotes into the United Kingdom.”’

Bond put down the card. ‘And so forth,’ he said. He smiled at Tiffany Case. ‘So I buy you the number that’s just being auctioned and you win two thousand pounds. That’ll be a pile of dollars and pound notes and cheques. The only way of spending all that sterling, even suppose that those cheques are all good, which is doubtful, would be by smuggling it through under your suspender belt. And there we’d be, back in the same old racket, but now with me on the side of the devil.’

The girl was not impressed. ‘There used to be a guy in the gangs called Abadaba,’ she said. ‘He was a crooked egg-head who knew all the answers. Worked out the track odds, fixed the percentage on the numbers racket, did all the brain work. They called him “The Wizard of Odds”. Got rubbed out quite by mistake in the Dutch Schultz killing,’ she added parenthetically. ‘I guess you’re just another Abadaba the way you talk yourself out of having to spend some money on a girl. Oh, well,’ she shrugged her shoulders resignedly, ‘will you stake your girl to another Stinger?’

The betting continues. Eventually a man calls out a 200 pound bet and Bond turns to look at him.

quote:

It was a biggish man. His face had the glistening, pasty appearance of a spat-out bullseye. Small, cold dark eyes were looking towards the auctioneer’s platform through motionless bifocals. All the man’s neck seemed to be at the back of his head. Sweat matted the curly black algae of his hair and now he took off his glasses and picked up a napkin and wiped the sweat off with a circular motion that started with the left side of the face and swirled round to the back of his head where his right hand took over and completed the circuit as far as the dripping nose. ‘Two hundred and ten,’ said someone. The big man’s chin wobbled and he opened his tight-buttoned mouth and said, ‘Two hundred and twenty’ in a level American voice.

What was there about this man that struck a chord in Bond’s memory? He watched the big face, running his mind’s eye over the filing system of his brain, pulling out drawer after drawer, hunting for the clue. The face? The voice? England? America?

Bond gave up and turned his attention to the other man at the table. Again, the same urgent sense of recognition. The curiously delicate young features under the slicked-back white hair. The soft brown eyes under the long lashes. The general effect of prettiness, spoiled by the fleshy nose over the wide thin mouth, now open in a square empty smile like the grin of a letter-box.

Bond asks Tiffany, but she doesn't recognize either of them. The fat man wins the auction with a £500 bet, then shocks the crowd by betting low. The weather is perfect and the ship is doing about 30 knots. Nothing would slow the ship down unless he knew something everyone else didn't.

quote:

Bond turned to Tiffany. ‘That was a queer business,’ he said. ‘Extraordinary thing to do. Sea’s as calm as glass.’ He shrugged his shoulders. ‘The only answer is that they know something.’ The matter was of no interest, anyway. ‘Someone’s told them something.’ He turned and looked carelessly at the two men and then let his eyes swing past and away from them. ‘They seem to be quite interested in us.’

Tiffany glanced past his shoulder. ‘They’re not looking at us now,’ she said. ‘I figure they’re just a couple of dopes. The white-haired guy’s looking stupid and the fat man’s sucking his thumb. They’re screwy. Doubt if they know what they’ve bought. They just got their signals crossed.’

‘Sucking his thumb?’ said Bond. He ran his hand distractedly through his hair, a vague memory nagging at him.

Perhaps if she had left him to follow the train of thought he would have remembered. Instead she put her hand over his and leant towards him so that her hair brushed against his face. ‘Forget it, James,’ she said. ‘And don’t think so hard about those stupid men.’ Her eyes were suddenly ardent and demanding. ‘I’ve had enough of this place. Take me somewhere else.’

Without saying anything more, they got up and left the table and walked out of the noisy room to the staircase. As they went down the stairs to the deck below, Bond’s arm went round the girl’s waist and her head fell against his shoulder.

They came to the door of Tiffany’s cabin, but she pulled him away and on down the long, softly creaking corridor.

‘I want it to be in your house, James,’ she said.

Bond said nothing until he had kicked the door of his cabin shut behind them and they had twisted round and stood locked together in the middle of the wonderfully private, wonderfully anonymous little room. And then he just said, softly, ‘My darling,’ and put one hand in her hair so that he could hold her mouth where he wanted it.

And after a while his other hand went to the zip fastener at the back of her dress and without moving away from him she stepped out of her dress and panted between their kisses. ‘I want it all, James. Everything you’ve ever done to a girl. Now. Quickly.’

Knowing Bond, that is a dangerous request.

quote:

And Bond bent down and put an arm round her thighs and picked her up and laid her gently on the floor.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Abbadabba was the nickname for a a guy named Otto Berman. He was Dutch Schultz's accountant, and was one of the four other people killed with him.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Knowing Bond, that is a dangerous request.

"Well alright, but I only have a .38 in my luggage..."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

He is such a bad secret agent

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

quote:

It is an intoxicating moment in a love-affair when, for the first time, in a public place, in a restaurant or a theatre, the man puts his hand down and lays it on the thigh of the girl and when she slips her hand over his and presses the man’s hand against her. The two gestures say everything that can be said. All is agreed. All the pacts are signed. And there is a long minute of silence during which the blood sings.

quote:

It was eleven o’clock and there was only a scattering of people left in the corners of the Veranda Grill. There was a soft sighing from the moonlit sea outside as the great liner scythed the black meadow of the Atlantic and, in the stern, only the slightest lope in her stride indicated a long soft swell, the slow, twelve-a-minute heart-beat of a sleeping ocean, to the two people sitting close together behind the pink-shaded light.

The man knows how to turn a phrase!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Astroman posted:

The man knows how to turn a phrase!

Fleming's descriptions are downright intoxicating, especially if you drink as much as he did before reading.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chapter 24: Death is So Permanent

quote:

The last thing Bond remembered before the telephone rang was Tiffany bending over him in bed and kissing him and saying, ‘You shouldn’t sleep on the heart-side, my treasure. It’s bad for the heart. It might stop beating. Turn over.’ And obediently he had turned and as the door clicked he was at once asleep again with her voice and the sigh of the Atlantic and the soft roll of the ship holding him in their arms.

And then the angry bell rang in the dark cabin and went on ringing and Bond cursed and reached for it and a voice said, ‘Sorry to disturb you, Sir. This is the wireless operator. There’s a cipher signal just come in for you and it’s got an en clair prefix of “Most Immediate”. Shall I call it out to you or send it down?’

‘Send it down, would you?’ said Bond. ‘And thanks.’

Now what the hell? All the beauty and heat and excitement of passionate love were pushed roughly away as he turned on the lights, slipped out of bed and, shaking his head to clear it, took the two steps into the shower.

For a full minute he let the water hit him, and then he rubbed himself down and picked up his trousers and shirt from the floor and climbed into them.

There was a knock on the door and he took the cable and sat down at the desk and lit a cigarette and set grimly to work. And, as the groups gradually dissolved into words, his eyes grew narrower and the skin slowly crawled on his body.

The cable was from the Chief of Staff. It said:

FIRSTLY CLANDESTINE SEARCH OF SAYES OFFICE REVEALED SIGNAL FROM QE ADDRESSED ABC SIGNED WINTER ADVISING OF YOUR AND CASES PRESENCE ABOARD REQUESTING INSTRUCTIONS STOP REPLY ADDRESSED WINTER SIGNED ABC ORDERS ELIMINATION OF CASE COMMA PRICE TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS STOP SECONDLY WE CONSIDER RUFUS B SAYE IS ABC WHICH IS PARTLY EQUIVALENT OF HIS INITIALS IN FRENCH THUS AH DASH BAY DASH SAYE STOP THIRDLY POSSIBLY ALERTED BY SIGNS OF SEARCH SAYE FLEW PARIS YESTERDAY AND NOW REPORTED BY INTERPOL BE IN DAKAR STOP THIS TENDS CONFIRM OUR SUSPICION THAT DIAMONDS ORIGINATE SIERRA LEONE MINES THENCE SMUGGLED OVER FRONTIER INTO FRENCH GUINEA STOP WE STRONGLY SUSPECT MEMBER OF SIERRA INTERNATIONALS DENTAL SURGERY STAFF WHO BEING WATCHED STOP FOURTHLY RAF CANBERRA AWAITS YOU BOSCOMBE DOWN FOR IMMEDIATE ONWARD FLIGHT TOMORROW NIGHT TO SIERRA LEONE SIGNED COS.

Bond sat for a moment frozen to his chair. Suddenly, there flashed unwanted into his mind that most sinister line in all poetry: ‘They reckon ill who leave me out. When me they fly, I am the wings.’

So somebody from the Spangled Mob was on board and travelling with them. Who? Where?

Bond calls Tiffany's room, lets it ring 4 times, then hangs up. Running up the corridor to her cabin, he finds her bag on the floor just inside the doorway, the contents scattered about as if it had been dropped.

Bond stops to turn off his emotions and let his mind calculate. They probably would have taken Tiffany back to their cabin to work on her undisturbed, as they would need to interrogate her as to what she knew and who Bond was before killing her. Bond could alert the crew, but they'd never believe his story of a gangster kidnapping when it could just be a drunk lover's quarrel or someone trying to slow the ship down to win the Low Field bet.

quote:

The Low Field! Man overboard! The ship delayed!

Bond slammed the door of his cabin and dived for the Passenger List. Of course. Winter. Here he was. A49. The deck below. And then suddenly Bond’s mind clicked like a comptometer. Winter. Wint and Kidd. The two torpedoes. The men in the hoods. Back to the passenger list. Kitteridge. In A49 too. The white-haired man and the fat man in the B.O.A.C. plane from London. ‘My blood group is F’. The secret escort for Tiffany. And Leiter’s description. ‘He’s called “Windy” because he hates travelling.’ ‘One day that wart on his thumb will catch him out.’ The red wart on the first joint holding back the hammer of the gun over Tingaling Bell. And Tiffany saying, ‘They’re screwy. The fat man’s sucking his thumb!’ And the two men in the Smoking Room cashing in on the death that had been arranged. The woman overboard. The alarm given anonymously in case the stern watch missed her. The ship stopped, turning, searching. And three thousand pounds extra to the killers.

Wint and Kidd. The torpedoes from Detroit.

Bond rushes for his attache case. He removes the Beretta and fits it with a silencer as he starts planning and reading the ship's map that came with his ticket. The door is likely bolted and they could just toss Tiffany out the porthole if he tried to get the staff to open it peacefully. But the map says Wint and Kidd's room is right below him.

quote:

Bond shoved the gun into his waistband and wrenched one of his two portholes wide open. He thrust his shoulders through, relieved to find that there was at least an inch to spare. He craned down. Two dimly lit circles directly below him. How far? About eight feet. The night was still dead calm. No wind, and he was on the dark side of the ship. Would he be spotted from the flying bridge? Would one of their portholes be open?

Bond dropped back into his cabin and tore the sheets off his bed. The Blood Knot. That would be safest. But he would have to rip the sheets in half to get enough length. If he won, he would have to get some sheets from A49 and leave their steward to puzzle out the loss. If he lost, nothing would matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0afkYn8vT8

quote:

Bond put all his strength on the rope. Should hold. As he tied one end round the hinge of the porthole he glanced at his watch. Only twelve minutes had been wasted since he had read the cable. Had it been too long? He set his teeth and threw the rope out down the side of the ship and climbed out head foremost.

Don’t think. Don’t look down. Don’t look up. Never mind the knots. Slowly, firmly, hand over hand.

The night wind tugged softly at him and swayed him against the black iron rivets, and from far down below sounded the deep boom and woosh of the sea. From somewhere above came the ropey twang of the wind of their speed in the rigging and, far above that, the stars would be swinging slowly round the twin masts.

Would the blasted, the beloved, sheets hold? Would vertigo get him? Could his arms stand the weight? Don’t think about it. Don’t think of the huge ship, the hungry sea, the great quadruple screws waiting to slice into his body. You are a boy climbing down an apple tree. It’s so easy and so safe there in the orchard with the grass to fall on.

Bond shut his mind and watched his hands and felt the roughness of the paint against his knuckles, and his feet were as sensitive as antennae as they groped below him for the first contact with the porthole.

There. The toes of his right foot had touched the protruding rim. He must stop. He MUST be patient and let his foot explore further – the wide-open porthole, held by its big brass latch; the feel of cloth against his sock: the curtains closed. Now he could go on. It was nearly over.

And then two more handholds and his face was level and he could get a hand to the metal rim of the frame and take some of the weight off the taut white rope and give one arm a blessed rest, and then the other, shifting the burden from the cracking muscles and gathering himself for the slow heave up and through and then the final dive with one hand clutching for his gun.

He listened, gazing at the circle of slowly swaying curtain, trying to forget that he was clinging like a fly half-way down the side of the Queen Elizabeth, trying not to listen to the sea far below him, trying to still his own heavy breath and the hammering of his heart.

There was a mumble inside the little room. A few words in a masculine voice. And then a girl’s voice crying ‘No!’

There was a moment’s silence, and then a slap. It was as loud as a pistol shot and it jerked Bond’s body up and through the porthole as if he had been wrenched inwards by a rope.

Bond goes flying into the cabin through the porthole, somersaulting and landing in a crouch. His gun is up, waving between Wint and Kidd.

quote:

‘All right,’ said Bond, coming slowly to his full height.

It was a statement of fact. He had the control and the mouth of his gun had said he should have it.

‘Who sent for you?’ said the fat man. ‘You’re not in the act.’

There were hidden reserves in the voice. No panic. Not even enough surprise.

‘Come to make a fourth at gin?’

He was sitting, in buttoned shirt sleeves, sideways-on to the dressing-table, and the small eyes glittered in the moist face. In front of him, with her back to Bond, Tiffany Case sat on an upholstered stool. She was naked except for brief flesh-coloured pants and her knees were gripped between the big man’s thighs. Her face, with red marks across its paleness, was turned towards Bond. Her eyes were wild, like a trapped animal’s, and her mouth was open with disbelief.

The white-haired man had been lying relaxed on one of the beds. Now he was up on one elbow and his other hand was at his shirt, half-way up to the gun in the black holster at his armpit. He looked incuriously at Bond and his mouth was square with the empty letter-box smile. From the middle of his smile a wooden toothpick protruded from between closed teeth like the tongue of a snake.

Bond’s gun held the neutral space between the two men. When he spoke his voice was low and taut.

‘Tiffany,’ he said slowly and distinctly. ‘Get down on your knees. Edge away from that man. Keep your head down. Get into the middle of the room.’

He didn’t watch her, and his eyes continued to flicker between the man on the chair and the man on the bed.

Now she was clear of the two targets.

‘I’m there, James.’ The voice thrilled with hope and excitement.

‘Get up and walk straight into the bathroom. Shut the door. Get into the bath and lie down.’

Bond is not only keeping Tiffany safe from any stray bullets, but also to keep her from witnessing whatever's about to go down. Though considering Tiffany, I'm sure she'd be eager to watch.

quote:

There was five yards between the two men and Bond reflected that if they could draw fast enough they had him bracketed. With men like these, even in the split second of his killing one of them, the other would have drawn and fired. While his own gun was silent, its threat was infinite. But with his first bullet, for a flash, the threat would be lifted from the other man.

‘Forty-eight sixty-five eighty-six.’

The variation on the American football signal, one of fifty other combinations which they must have practised together a thousand times, spat out of the fat man’s mouth. Simultaneously he hurled himself on the floor and his hand flashed to his waistband.

In a swirl of motion the man on the bed swung his legs side-ways and away from Bond so that his body was now only a narrow head-on target. The hand at his chest flickered up.

‘Thud’.

Bond’s gun gave a single muffled grunt. A blue keyhole opened just beneath the peak of the white hair.

‘Boom’ answered the dead man’s pistol, fired by the last twitch of his finger, and the bullet buried itself into the bed beneath his corpse.

The fat man on the floor let out a scream. He was looking up into the single empty black eye that didn’t care about him one way or the other, but was only interested in which square centimetre of his envelope it would open first.

Wint stops, his gun barely raised, and drops it at Bond's command. At Bond's orders, he puts his hands over his head and walks to the chair to sit down.

quote:

He stood facing Bond and quite naturally he let his hands fall down to his sides. And the two hands, relaxed, swung naturally back, the right hand more than the left. And then suddenly, at the top of the back-swing, the right arm tautened and flashed forward and the throwing-knife bloomed from the tips of the fingers like a white flame.

‘Thud’.

The quiet bullet and the quiet knife crossed in midair, and the eyes of the two men flinched simultaneously as the weapons struck.

But the flinch in the eyes of the fat man turned into an upward roll of the eyeballs as he fell backwards, clawing at his heart, while Bond’s eyes only looked incuriously down at the spreading stain on his shirt and at the flat handle of the knife hanging loosely from its folds.

There was a crash as the chair splintered under the fat man, and a rasping noise, and then a drumming on the floor.

Bond looked once and then turned away towards the open porthole.

For a while he stood with his back to the room, staring at the softly swaying curtains. He gulped down the air and listened to the beautiful sea-sounds from the world outside that still belonged to him and to Tiffany, but not to the two others. Very slowly his body and his strung nerves relaxed.

Bond pulls the knife out of his chest and tosses it out the porthole. It's not a bad wound, just nicked his rib.

quote:

Almost reluctantly he turned back and faced the shambles of the cabin. He looked it over thoughtfully and with an unconscious gesture he wiped his hands down his flanks. Then he carefully picked his way across the floor to the bathroom and said, ‘It’s me, Tiffany,’ in a tired, flat voice and opened the door.

She hadn’t heard his voice. She was lying face downwards in the empty bath with her hands over her ears, and when he had half-lifted her out and had taken her into his arms, she still couldn’t believe it but clung to him and then slowly explored his face and his chest with her hands to make sure it was true.

He flinched as her hand touched his cut rib and she broke away from him and looked at his face and then at the blood on her fingers and then at his scarlet shirt.

‘Oh, God. You’re hurt,’ she said flatly, and her nightmares were forgotten as she took off his shirt and washed the gashed rib with soap and water and bound it with strips of towel cut with one of the dead men’s razor blades.

She still asked no questions when Bond collected her clothes from the floor of the cabin and gave them to her and told her not to come out until he was ready and to clean up everything and wipe every object she had touched to kill the fingerprints.

She just stood and looked at him with her eyes shining. And when Bond kissed her on the lips she still said nothing.

It's not outright stated, but I think there's an implication that Tiffany's kidnapping had given her some kind of flashback to her gang rape as a teenager.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5e5GjnyMHI

This scene in the film is, uh, slightly different.

quote:

Bond gave her a reassuring smile and walked out and shut the door of the bathroom behind him and went about his business, doing everything with great deliberation and pausing before each move so as to examine its effect on the eyes and minds of the detectives who would come on board at Southampton.

First he tied an ash-tray in his bloodstained shirt to weight it and went to the porthole and threw the shirt as far out as he could. The men’s tuxedos were hanging behind the door. He took the handkerchiefs out of the breast pockets and wrapped them round his hands and searched through the cupboards and the chest of drawers until he found the white-haired man’s evening shirts. He put one on and stood for a moment in the centre of the cabin thinking. Then he gritted his teeth and heaved the fat man into a sitting position, took off the fat man’s shirt and went to the porthole and took out his Beretta, held it against the small hole over the heart of the shirt and fired another bullet through the hole. Now there was a smoke smudge round the hole to look like suicide. He dressed the corpse again in its shirt, wiped his Beretta thoroughly, pressed the fingers of the dead man’s right hand all over it, and finally fitted the gun into his hand with the index finger on the trigger.

After another pause in the middle of the room, he took Kidd’s tuxedo down from its hook and dressed the corpse of Kidd in it. Then he dragged the man across the floor to the porthole and, sweating with the effort, heaved him up into the porthole and pushed him through.

He wiped the porthole for prints and paused again, getting his breath and surveying the small stage, and then he went over to the card table that stood, with the litter of an unfinished game, against the wall, and upset it on the floor so that the cards scattered on the carpet. As an afterthought he went again to the fat man’s body, extracted the wad of notes from his hip-pocket and strewed them amongst the cards.

Surely the picture would stand up. There would be the mystery of the bullet fired into the bed by the dying Kidd, but that would have been part of the struggle. There were three shots gone from the Beretta and three cartridges on the floor. Two of the bullets could have been in the body of Kidd which was now in the Atlantic. There were the two sheets he would have to steal off the second bed. Their loss would be unexplained. Perhaps Wint had wrapped Kidd’s body in them as a shroud before he pushed Kidd out of the porthole. That would fit in with Wint’s remorse and suicide following the gunfight over the cards.

Bond covered everything really well here. A powder burn from a contact shot, using his own gun as the drop so the bullets and casings match for forensics, and dumping Kidd's body so it couldn't be investigated.

quote:

At all events, reflected Bond, it would stand up until the police arrived at the dock, and by that time he and Tiffany would be off the ship and away and the only trace of them in the cabin would be Bond’s Beretta, and that, like all other guns belonging to the Secret Service, had no numbers.

He sighed and shrugged his shoulders. And now to take the sheets and get Tiffany back to his cabin without being seen, cut down the rope dangling from his porthole, throw it out into the sea with the spare magazines for the Beretta and the empty holster and then, at last, an age of sleep with her dear body dovetailed against his and his arms round her forever.

Forever?

As he walked slowly across the cabin to the bathroom, Bond met the blank eyes of the body on the floor.

And the eyes of the man whose Blood Group had been F spoke to him and said, ‘Mister. Nothing is forever. Only death is permanent. Nothing is forever except what you did to me.’

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Here's the poem Fleming is referencing here:

quote:

Brahma
BY RALPH WALDO EMERSON
If the red slayer think he slays,
Or if the slain think he is slain,
They know not well the subtle ways
I keep, and pass, and turn again.

Far or forgot to me is near;
Shadow and sunlight are the same;
The vanished gods to me appear;
And one to me are shame and fame.

They reckon ill who leave me out;
When me they fly, I am the wings;
I am the doubter and the doubt,
I am the hymn the Brahmin sings.

The strong gods pine for my abode,
And pine in vain the sacred Seven;
But thou, meek lover of the good!
Find me, and turn thy back on heaven.

Very appropriate with those last words from the dead man. Fleming is actually a pretty decent writer.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

poisonpill posted:

Here's the poem Fleming is referencing here:

Very appropriate with those last words from the dead man. Fleming is actually a pretty decent writer.

he really is, that passage climbing down the rope to the porthole was very well done.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

I was honestly expecting Bond to gently caress up and get himself tortured again.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Uh, yes, by, uh, “accident”, right

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Selachian posted:

The relation between Bond and Tiffany very much reminds me of the Travis McGee books; McGee also frequently gets involved with women who are trying to escape traumatic and dangerous situations, and ends up helping them to recover.

Yeah, I'd noted the same thing. And McGee is at turns okay with this and caustic with himself over it.

To some degree this is inherent to the logic of action and hardboiled detective stories, where the protagonist is a strong man of action and their role in life (agent, detective, etc) has vulnerable women regularly showing up on their doorstep. The fact that these women are almost always beautiful is pure convention, however.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's very interesting to see the evolution of Bond from the page to the screen. The books are firmly pulp detective and adventure stories, but even from the first movie there's a focus on elaborate sets and advanced gadgetry (both for the villains and the heroes) that very quickly rises to camp.

I'd be very interested in seeing a faithful adaptation of the books.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Casino royale is decent

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chapter 25: ....The Pipeline Closes

quote:

There was now no scorpion living in the roots of the great thorn bush which stood at the junction of the three African states. The smuggler from the mines had nothing to occupy his mind except an endless column of Driver ants flowing along between the low walls which the Soldiers had built on both sides of the three-inch highway.

It was hot and sticky and the man hiding in the thorn bush was impatient and ill at ease. This was the last time he would make the rendezvous. That was definite. They would have to find someone else. Of course he would be fair with them. He would warn them he was quitting and tell them the reason – the new dental assistant who had joined the staff, and who didn’t seem to know quite enough about dentistry. The man was certainly a spy – the careful eyes, the little ginger moustache, the pipe, the clean fingernails. Had one of the boys been caught? Had one of them turned Queen’s evidence?

The smuggler shifted his position. Where the hell was the plane? He picked up a handful of dirt and threw it into the middle of the flowing column of ants. They hesitated and spilled over the walls of their road as the hurrying rear ranks crowded into them. Then the Soldiers started frantically digging and carrying and in a few minutes the highway was clear.

The man took off his shoe and slapped it down hard across the moving column. There was another brief moment of confusion. Then the ants set upon the dead bodies and devoured them and the road was open again and the black river flowed on.

The man swore briefly in Afrikaans and pulled on his shoe. Black bastards. He would show them. Crouching, and holding up an arm against the thorns, he stamped along the column of ants and out into the moonlight. That would give them something to think about.

Then he forgot the hatred he had for all black things and cocked his head towards the north. Thank heavens! He moved round the bush to get the torches and the packet of diamonds out of the tool boxes.

Imagine being so racist that you hate ants because they're black.

quote:

A mile away in the low bush the big iron ear of the sound-detector had already stopped searching, and the operator, who had been softly calling the range to the group of three men beside the army truck, now said: ‘Thirty miles. Speed one-twenty. Height nine hundred.’

Bond glanced at his watch. ‘Looks as if midnight at full moon is the rendezvous,’ he said. ‘And he’ll be about ten minutes late.’

‘Looks like it, Sir,’ said the officer from the Freetown Garrison Force who was standing next to him. He turned to the third man. ‘Corporal. Make sure there’s no metal showing through the camouflage net. This moon’ll pick up anything.’

The truck was standing under cover of the low bush on a dirt track that ran across the plain in the direction of the village of Telebadou in French Guinea. That night, they had started off from the hills as soon as the locator had picked up the sound of the dentist’s motor cycle on the parallel track. They had driven without lights, and they had stopped as soon as the motor cycle had stopped and there was no longer protection from the noise of its engine. They had put a camouflage net over the truck and over the locator and over the bulge of the Bofors mounted beside it. Then they had waited, not knowing what to expect at the dentist’s rendezvous – another motor cycle, a rider on a horse, a jeep, an aeroplane?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65ZewIslLbA

The Bofors is a big Bofors L/60 40mm anti-aircraft gun. It's fully automatic (albeit with a very slow rate of fire) fed by clips from the top. They were extremely common during World War II on both sides of the war and are still in use today among third world militaries.

quote:

Now they could hear the distant clatter in the sky. Bond gave a short laugh. ‘Helicopter,’ he said. ‘Nothing else makes that racket. Get ready to take the net down when he lands. We may have to give him a warning shot. Is the loud-hailer switched on?’

‘Yes, Sir,’ said the Corporal at the locator. ‘And he’s coming in quick. You should be able to see him in a minute. See those lights just come on, Sir? Must be the landing ground.’

Bond glanced at the four thin shafts of light, and then he looked up again into the great African sky.

So here came the last of them, the last of the gang, and yet the first. The man he’d taken a look at in Hatton Garden. The first of the Spangled Mob, the gang that had rated so high in Washington. The only one, except the harmless, rather likeable, Shady Tree, Bond had not yet had to kill – or, he thought of the Pink Garter Saloon and the two men from Detroit, almost kill. Not that he had wanted to kill these people. The job M had given him had only been to find out about them. But, one by one, they had tried to kill him and his friends. Violence had been their first resort, not their last. Violence and cruelty were their only weapons. The two men in the Chevrolet in Las Vegas who had shot at him and hit Ernie Cureo. The two men in the Jaguar who had bludgeoned Ernie and had been the first to draw guns when it came to the fight. Seraffimo Spang, who had started to torture him to death and had then tried to shoot them or smash them down on the railway track. Wint and Kidd, who had given Tingaling Bell the treatment, and then Bond, and then Tiffany Case. And, of the seven, he had killed five – not because he liked it, but because somebody had had to. And he had had luck and three good friends, Felix and Ernie and Tiffany. And the bad men had died.

And now here came the last of the bad men, the man who had ordered his death, and Tiffany’s, the man who, according to M., had built up the traffic in diamonds, organized the pipeline and run it ruthlessly and efficiently through the years.

After the Queen Elizabeth landed in England, Bond was sent on a Canberra bomber down to Africa. He was called by M first for an update, where he surreptitiously let M know about his killing of Wint and Kidd so he could keep the Secret Service out of the investigation. MI6 has confirmed that "ABC" is Jack Spang under the alias of Rufus Saye and have tracked his movements to Africa. They suspect that he's closing off the diamond pipeline, killing everyone down the line.

As for Tiffany Case, Bond sent her to his flat. He recommends against prosecuting her, since she's been such a big help after all.

quote:

The smuggler from the mines stood and waited, holding the fourth torch in his hand. There it was. Coming right across the moon. Hell of a noise as usual. That was another risk he’d be glad to get away from.

Down it came, and now it was hovering twenty feet above his head. The hand came out and flashed A, and the man on the ground winked back the B and the C. Then the rotor blades flattened and softly the great iron insect sank to the ground.

The dust settled. The diamond smuggler took his hand away from his eyes and watched the pilot climb down his small ladder to the ground. He was wearing a flying helmet and goggles. Unusual. And he looked taller than the German. The man’s spine tingled. Who was this? He walked slowly to meet him.

‘Got the stuff?’ Two cold eyes under straight black brows looked sharply out from behind the goggles. They were hidden as the man’s head moved and the moon caught the glass. Now there were just two round blazing white circles in the middle of the shiny black leather helmet.

‘Yes,’ said the man from the mines nervously. ‘But where’s the German?’

‘He won’t be coming again.’ The two white circles stared blindly at the smuggler. ‘I am A B C. I am closing down the pipeline.’

It was an American voice, hard and flat and final.

‘Oh.’

Automatically the smuggler’s hand went inside his shirt. He took out the moist packet and held it out as if it was some kind of a peace offering. Like the scorpion, a month earlier, he sensed the raised stone above him.

‘Give me a hand with the gas.’

It was the voice of an overseer giving an order to a coolie, but the smuggler stepped quickly forward to obey.

As the smuggler starts to ask a question, he's cut off by Spang drawing a gun and shooting him. I guess he's not getting the raise he demanded.

quote:

‘Don’t move.’ The clanging voice came over the plain with the screeching echo of the amplifier. ‘You’re covered.’ There was the sound of an engine starting up.

The pilot didn’t wait to wonder about the voice. He leapt for the ladder. The door of the cockpit slammed and there was the whirr of the self-starter. The engine roared and the rotor blades swung and slowly gathered speed until they were two whirlpools of silver. Then there was a jerk and the helicopter was in the air and climbing vertically straight up into the sky.

Down among the low bush the truck stopped with a jerk and Bond leapt for the iron saddle of the Bofors.

‘Up, Corporal,’ he snapped to the man at the elevation lever. He bent his eyes to the grid-sight as the muzzle rose towards the moon. He reached to pull the firing selector lever off ‘Safe’ and put it on ‘Single Fire’. ‘And left ten.’

‘I’ll keep feeding you tracer.’ The officer beside Bond had two racks of five yellow-painted shells in his hands.

Bond’s feet settled into the trigger pedals and now he had the helicopter in the centre of the grid. ‘Steady,’ he said quietly.

The old Bofors is a somewhat unusual weapon. It uses pedals for the triggers and is able to be continuously fed with clips by assistant gunners; while it only holds 4 rounds at a time in the magazine, a skilled team can keep up a high rate of fire.

quote:

‘Boompa’.

The spangled tracer swung lazily into the sky just below the speed of sound.

Low and left.

The Corporal delicately twisted the two levers.

‘Boompa’.

The tracer curved away high over the rising machine. Bond reached forward and pulled the selector lever to ‘Auto Fire’. The movement of his hand was reluctant. Now it would be certain death. He was going to have to do it again.

‘Boompa – boompa – boompa – boompa – boompa.’

The red fire sprayed across the sky. Still the helicopter went on rising towards the moon, and now it was turning away to the north.

‘Boompa – Boompa.’

There was a flash of yellow light near the tail rotor and the distant bang of an explosion.

‘Got him,’ said the officer. He picked up a pair of night-glasses. ‘Tail rotor’s gone,’ he said. And then, excitedly, ‘Gosh. It looks as if the whole cabin’s going round with the main rotor. Pilot must be getting hell.’

The helicopter spirals down into the brush. Jack Spang, the boss of everything that Bond had only ever seen in person for a few minutes, is royally hosed.

quote:

Bond could imagine the scene in the narrow cockpit, the big man holding on with one hand and wrenching at the controls with the other as he watched the needle of the altimeter dip down through the hundreds. And there would be the red glare of terror in the eyes, and the hundred thousand pound pocketful of diamonds would be just so much deadweight, and the gun which had been a strong right arm since boyhood would be no comfort.

‘He’s coming right back to the bush,’ shouted the Corporal above the clatter in the sky.

‘He’s a goner now,’ said the Captain, half to himself.

They watched the last bucketing lurches and then they held their breath as the aircraft, see-sawing wildly, gave a final tip to its nose and, as if the bush had been its enemy, made an angry dive through a twenty-yard curve and hurled itself and the threshing rotors into the stack of thorns.

Before the echoes of the crash had died, there came a hollow boom out of the heart of the bush followed by a jagged ball of flame that grew and billowed up into the air so that the moon was dimmed and the whole plain was bathed in an orange glare.

The Captain was the first to speak.

‘Ouch!’ he said with feeling. He slowly lowered his night-glasses and turned to Bond. ‘Well, Sir,’ he said resignedly. ‘That’s just about that.’ Fraid it’s going to be morning before we can get anywhere near that lot. And then it’s going to be hours more before we can start raking about in it. And this is going to bring the French frontier guards along at the gallop. Luckily we’re on pretty good terms with them, but the Governor’s going to have a fine time arguing the toss with Dakar.’ The officer saw a vista of paper-work stretching ahead. The prospect made him tireder than he already was. He was matter-of-fact. He had had enough for one day. ‘Mind if we get a bit of shut-eye, Sir?’

‘Go ahead,’ said Bond. He looked at his watch. ‘Better get under the truck. Sun’ll be coming up in about four hours. Not feeling tired myself. I’ll keep an eye out in case the fire looks like spreading.’

With everything finished, Bond lights up a cigarette from the seat of the AA gun. Essentially by accident through his own impatience, he killed his way across America and back and destroyed an entire diamond smuggling operation and the gang that ran it.

quote:

Bond put up a hand and wiped it across his dripping forehead. He pushed back the damp lock of hair above the right eyebrow and the red blaze lit up the hard lean face and flickered in the tired eyes.

So this great red full stop marked the end of the Spangled Mob and the end of their fabulous traffic in diamonds. But not the end of the diamonds that were baking at the heart of the fire. They would survive and move off again across the world, discoloured, perhaps, but indestructible, as permanent as death.

And Bond suddenly remembered the eyes of the corpse which had once had a Blood Group F. They had been wrong. Death is forever. But so are diamonds.

Bond dropped down off the truck and started walking slowly towards the leaping fire. He smiled grimly to himself. All this business about death and diamonds was too solemn. For Bond it was just the end of another adventure. Another adventure for which a wry phrase of Tiffany Case might be the epitaph.

He could see the passionate, ironical mouth saying the words: ‘It reads better than it lives.’

And that's another one down. The film would ruin just about everything good about the book, turning one of the strongest Fleming women into a screeching moron, dialing up the camp to absurd levels, and replacing the American mobsters and anti-aircraft gun in the African brush with Blofeld and an oil rig. Unfortunately, we're inevitably forced to leave Tiffany Case behind for a new lover. Maybe one day someone can write a book about her.

Our next book is From Russia With Love, the book that finally got Bond recognition in America thanks to its popularity with the president himself. We finally get a setting that virtually all of the thread readers will find exotic and one of the most surprising endings in the series. I think you'll all enjoy it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Diamonds do actually burn if they get hot enough, Ian.

Loving this thread chitoryu, i read them all when i was a kid and it's surprising how clear all these lines still are in my head.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

chitoryu12 posted:

Maybe one day someone can write a book about her.

Well why not? They already brought back Pussy Galore, didn't they?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sperglord Actual posted:

Well why not? They already brought back Pussy Galore, didn't they?

That's actually something I had thoughts about doing, along with possibly doing the later non-Fleming books.

In 2015, Anthony Horowitz (the creator of the Alex Rider series) released Trigger Mortis, a book set two weeks after Goldfinger and showing the difficulties Bond and Pussy Galore have in trying to actually maintain their relationship. What makes it really interesting is that the opening chapter is taken mostly from Murder On Wheels, an unpublished treatment Fleming wrote for a canceled Bond TV series in the 1950s. Bond would be assigned to prevent SMERSH from assassinating Stirling Moss (a real British racing driver) by being trained as a racer himself to take out the Russian agent in a crash during the race.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

James bond is if nothing else extremely good at crashing cars

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

She's not quite as snarky as Tiffany Case, but Modesty Blaise does the rear end-kicking hero thing pretty well, and with the same combination of surprisingly modern and cringingly backward bits.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man this group did not even try and capture Spang. Though I am more shocked that Spang did not even try to bail on the Helicopter with a parachute.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 14, 2019

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

MonsterEnvy posted:

Man this group did not even try and capture Spang. Though I am more shocked that Spang did not even try to bail on the Helicopter with a parachute.

It was spinning; good luck with that even if you are wearing a parachute at the time.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

chitoru, how many books have you been through in this thread and how many Fleming books do you still have to do?

WendyO
Dec 2, 2007

Selachian posted:

Or getting them gruesomely murdered; sometimes McGee seems to help, sometimes he just gets people killed for no good reasons. I always avoided the Fleming novels because of the films, the reputation of the author, and just a general consensus, but for all his faults at least Bond is good at a few things like killing people, gambling, taking a beating and being really lucky. And it seems that when Bond is mentally sneering at some woman he has to work with or underestimating them, he can be proven wrong and come to rely on the strengths he didn't see or outright ignored on first impressions.

McGee never seems to have any talent other than taking a beating. And, frankly, seems positively stone age compared to a misogynistic snob like Bond who will, at least, realize he's wrong and change his behavior at times.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

chitoru, how many books have you been through in this thread and how many Fleming books do you still have to do?

Diamonds was the fourth book. There’s 10 books remaining if you include the short story collections.

This, uh, will take a while.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I could barely bring myself to finish the first McGee book. Fleming seems to write Bond as a dumb misogynist, while MacDonald seems to be a dumb misogynist.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

From Russia With Love

From Russia With Love was the most significantly rewritten book of any of Fleming's first drafts at the time. He wrote it as Diamonds was still being edited in January 1956 and feeling burnt out from spending so many years writing a new Bond book every time he flew down to Jamaica. This contributed to the book receiving its shocking and ambiguous ending in case he decided not to continue with the series.

The book was based on Fleming's trip to Istanbul the previous year to cover an Interpol conference for The Sunday Times. Darko Kerim was modeled heavily on Nazim Kalkavan, an Oxford-educated ship owner he met there. A major part of the book also comes from the story of Eugene Karp, an American intelligence agent in Budapest who took the Orient Express to Paris with documents detailing compromised American spy networks in the Eastern bloc. Unfortunately for Karp, there were Soviet assassins on the train; the conductor was drugged, Karp killed, and his body thrown out as they passed through a tunnel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lRuXckWC_8

From Russia With Love was the second ever James Bond film and is generally regarded as one of the best. The success of Dr. No led to United Artists doubling the budget and giving Sean Connery a big bonus; adjusted for inflation, his pay for this film was around $1.275 million. The film is a relatively faithful adaptation of the book, with some of the biggest changes being the switch to SPECTRE as the villainous organization, additional action sequences after the Orient Express and a modification to the ending that better matches Fleming's first draft.

The film added many of the conventions that are now expected for Bond films, from the title sequence with nude women dancing around to Bond's gadgets. It also acts as the film universe's introduction to the infamous Blofeld, albeit left unnamed and virtually unseen.

And here we get the first ever Bond theme. Lionel Bart, the creator of Oliver!, was asked to compose it. Funny thing about Lionel Bart: despite being a world famous composer and one of the most influential figures in the history of British musical theatre, he never learned to read or write musical notation.

The song was sung by Matt Monro, "The Man with the Golden Voice". He was one of the most popular British pop singers of the time, setting the trend of hiring prominent contemporary singers and bands to give more clout to the Bond themes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chapter 1: Roseland

quote:

The naked man who lay splayed out on his face beside the swimming pool might have been dead.

He might have been drowned and fished out of the pool and laid out on the grass to dry while the police or the next-of-kin were summoned. Even the little pile of objects in the grass beside his head might have been his personal effects, meticulously assembled in full view so that no one should think that something had been stolen by his rescuers.

To judge by the glittering pile, this had been, or was, a rich man. It contained the typical membership badges of the rich man’s club–a money clip, made of a Mexican fifty-dollar piece and holding a substantial wad of banknotes, a well-used gold Dunhill lighter, an oval gold cigarette case with the wavy ridges and discreet turquoise button that means Fabergé, and the sort of novel a rich man pulls out of the bookcase to take into the garden–The Little Nugget–an old P. G. Wodehouse. There was also a bulky gold wrist-watch on a well-used brown crocodile strap. It was a Girard-Perregaux model designed for people who like gadgets, and it had a sweep second-hand and two little windows in the face to tell the day of the month, and the month, and the phase of the moon. The story it now told was 2.30 on June 10th with the moon three-quarters full.

Today, a Girard-Perregaux watch would cost as much as $15,000.

quote:

A blue and green dragon-fly flashed out from among the rose bushes at the end of the garden and hovered in mid-air a few inches above the base of the man’s spine. It had been attracted by the golden shimmer of the June sunshine on the ridge of fine blond hairs above the coccyx. A puff of breeze came off the sea. The tiny field of hairs bent gently. The dragon-fly darted nervously sideways and hung above the man’s left shoulder, looking down. The young grass below the man’s open mouth stirred. A large drop of sweat rolled down the side of the fleshy nose and dropped glittering into the grass. That was enough. The dragon-fly flashed away through the roses and over the jagged glass on top of the high garden wall. It might be good food, but it moved.

The garden in which the man lay was about an acre of well-kept lawn surrounded on three sides by thickly banked rose bushes from which came the steady murmur of bees. Behind the drowsy noise of the bees the sea boomed softly at the bottom of the cliff at the end of the garden.

There was no view of the sea from the garden–no view of anything except of the sky and the clouds above the twelve-foot wall. In fact you could only see out of the property from the two upstairs bedrooms of the villa that formed the fourth side of this very private enclosure. From them you could see a great expanse of blue water in front of you and, on either side, the upper windows of neighbouring villas and the tops of the trees in their gardens–Mediterranean-type evergreen oaks, stone pines, casuarinas and an occasional palm tree.

The blonde man's time sunning himself in the villa garden is interrupted by the sound of a car approaching. The doorbell is the only thing to give him even a slight stir, opening his blue eyes for a quick second before relaxing again.

quote:

A young woman carrying a small string bag and dressed in a white cotton shirt and a short, unalluring blue skirt came through the glass door and strode mannishly across the glazed tiles and the stretch of lawn towards the naked man. A few yards away from him, she dropped her string bag on the grass and sat down and took off her cheap and rather dusty shoes. Then she stood up and unbuttoned her shirt and took it off and put it, neatly folded, beside the string bag.

The girl had nothing on under the shirt. Her skin was pleasantly sunburned and her shoulders and fine breasts shone with health. When she bent her arms to undo the side-buttons of her skirt, small tufts of fair hair showed in her armpits. The impression of a healthy animal peasant girl was heightened by the chunky hips in faded blue stockinet bathing trunks and the thick short thighs and legs that were revealed when she had stripped.

The girl put the skirt neatly beside her shirt, opened the string bag, took out an old soda-water bottle containing some heavy colourless liquid and went over to the man and knelt on the grass beside him. She poured some of the liquid, a light olive oil, scented, as was everything in that part of the world, with roses, between his shoulder blades and, after flexing her fingers like a pianist, began massaging the sterno-mastoid and the trapezius muscles at the back of the man’s neck.

It was hard work. The man was immensely strong and the bulging muscles at the base of the neck hardly yielded to the girl’s thumbs even when the downward weight of her shoulders was behind them. By the time she was finished with the man she would be soaked in perspiration and so utterly exhausted that she would fall into the swimming pool and then lie down in the shade and sleep until the car came for her. But that wasn’t what she minded as her hands worked automatically on across the man’s back. It was her instinctive horror for the finest body she had ever seen.

This girl has been his masseuse for two years now. As she stares at him and tries to wonder why she feels so strangely about his body, we get enough of a description that it makes me question Fleming's sexuality.

quote:

To take the small things first: his hair. She looked down at the round, smallish head on the sinewy neck. It was covered with tight red-gold curls that should have reminded her pleasantly of the formalized hair in the pictures she had seen of classical statues. But the curls were somehow too tight, too thickly pressed against each other and against the skull. They set her teeth on edge like fingernails against pile carpet. And the golden curls came down so low into the back of the neck–almost (she thought in professional terms) to the fifth cervical vertebra. And there they stopped abruptly in a straight line of small stiff golden hairs.

The girl paused to give her hands a rest and sat back on her haunches. The beautiful upper half of her body was already shining with sweat. She wiped the back of her forearm across her forehead and reached for the bottle of oil. She poured about a tablespoonful on to the small furry plateau at the base of the man’s spine, flexed her fingers and bent forward again.

This embryo tail of golden down above the cleft of the buttocks–in a lover it would have been gay, exciting, but on this man it was somehow bestial. No, reptilian. But snakes had no hair. Well, she couldn’t help that. It seemed reptilian to her. She shifted her hands on down to the two mounds of the gluteal muscles. Now was the time when many of her patients, particularly the young ones on the football team, would start joking with her. Then, if she was not very careful, the suggestions would come. Sometimes she could silence these by digging sharply down towards the sciatic nerve. At other times, and particularly if she found the man attractive, there would be giggling arguments, a brief wrestling-match and a quick, delicious surrender.

With this man it was different, almost uncannily different. From the very first he had been like a lump of inanimate meat. In two years he had never said a word to her. When she had done his back and it was time for him to turn over, neither his eyes nor his body had once shown the smallest interest in her. When she tapped his shoulder, he would just roll over and gaze at the sky through half-closed lids and occasionally let out one of the long shuddering yawns that were the only sign that he had human reactions at all.

Did, uh, did you use a model for this Ian?

quote:

The girl shifted her position and slowly worked down the right leg towards the Achilles tendon. When she came to it, she looked back up the fine body. Was her revulsion only physical? Was it the reddish colour of the sunburn on the naturally milk-white skin, the sort of roast meat look? Was it the texture of the skin itself, the deep, widely spaced pores in the satiny surface? The thickly scattered orange freckles on the shoulders? Or was it the sexuality of the man? The indifference of these splendid, insolently bulging muscles? Or was it spiritual–an animal instinct telling her that inside this wonderful body there was an evil person?

The masseuse got to her feet and stood, twisting her head slowly from side to side and flexing her shoulders. She stretched her arms out sideways and then upwards and held them for a moment to get the blood down out of them. She went to her string bag and took out a hand-towel and wiped the perspiration off her face and body.

When she turned back to the man, he had already rolled over and now lay, his head resting on one open hand, gazing blankly at the sky. The disengaged arm was flung out on the grass, waiting for her. She walked over and knelt on the grass behind his head. She rubbed some oil into her palms, picked up the limp half-open hand and started kneading the short thick fingers.

The girl glanced nervously sideways at the red-brown face below the crown of tight golden curls. Superficially it was all right–handsome in a butcher’s-boyish way, with its full pink cheeks, upturned nose and rounded chin. But, looked at closer, there was something cruel about the thin-lipped rather pursed mouth, a pigginess about the wide nostrils in the upturned nose, and the blankness that veiled the very pale blue eyes communicated itself over the whole face and made it look drowned and morgue-like. It was, she reflected, as if someone had taken a china doll and painted its face to frighten.

The masseuse worked up the arm to the huge biceps. Where had the man got these fantastic muscles from? Was he a boxer? What did he do with his formidable body? Rumour said this was a police villa. The two men-servants were obviously guards of some sort, although they did the cooking and the housework. Regularly every month the man went away for a few days and she would be told not to come. And from time to time she would be told to stay away for a week, or two weeks, or a month. Once, after one of these absences, the man’s neck and the upper part of his body had been a mass of bruises. On another occasion the red corner of a half-healed wound had shown under a foot of surgical plaster down the ribs over his heart. She had never dared to ask about him at the hospital or in the town. When she had first been sent to the house, one of the men-servants had told her that if she spoke about what she saw she would go to prison. Back at the hospital, the Chief Superintendent, who had never recognized her existence before, had sent for her and had said the same thing. She would go to prison. The girl’s strong fingers gouged nervously into the big deltoid muscle on the point of the shoulder. She had always known it was a matter of State Security. Perhaps that was what revolted her about this splendid body. Perhaps it was just fear of the organization that had the body in custody. She squeezed her eyes shut at the thought of who he might be, of what he could order to be done to her. Quickly she opened them again. He might have noticed. But the eyes gazed blankly up at the sky.

I don't find it coincidental that this blonde, blue-eyed man bears such a resemblance to James Bond, either in musculature or his tendency to disappear and then come back covered in injuries.

As she starts on his face, the telephone rings inside and the man shoots up onto one knee as if ready to sprint inside. A voice inside answers the phone and he's off and running before the servant is halfway through signaling him to come in. To avoid any perception that she might be spying, the masseuse dives into the pool.

quote:

Although it would have explained her instincts about the man whose body she massaged, it was as well for the girl’s peace of mind that she did not know who he was.

His real name was Donovan Grant, or ‘Red’ Grant. But, for the past ten years, it had been Krassno Granitski, with the codename of ‘Granit’.

He was the Chief Executioner of SMERSH, the murder apparat of the M.G.B., and at this moment he was receiving his instructions on the M.G.B. direct line with Moscow.