Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

EvilMerlin posted:

M855A1 from anything with 16" or better barrel I hear is a rather nasty fucker now that the kinks got worked out.

it also allegedly eats feed ramps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

EvilMerlin posted:

Really? All my dealings with them have always been about the payout. The Afghani's however are great people.

I mean...sure there were assholes. There always are. But I genuinely enjoyed a lot of aspects of their culture, like their generosity as hosts.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, no worries and no need to apologize. I just mis-read your av and attached it to what I thought you were trying to convey.

I mean, my misread had someone with an av saying "Iraq doesn't have civilians" talking about keeping a drop gun in his vehicle which you have to admit would be eyebrow raising as gently caress

That makes sense.

My avatar is the Hezbollah coat of arms tho which....wouldn't make much sense with that, lol!

Attention to detail, and all that.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

On a side note, the ACW is so loving wild for all the personal weapons that show up. Yeah, the government is going to be issuing you a gun. This probably isn't even theoretical, at least unless you're in the late war south or something. But what if it's a lovely gun? What if you want a nicer gun?
i don't want a nice gun. i want an INSANE gun.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Is there a case study or decently well-informed fictional depiction somewhere of how the gently caress besieging one and only one of the 30 parties living in a Ganerbenburg would have worked in practice? I cannot picture this at all. Like okay, I'm camped out in front of the proper two and a half arm's lengths of wall, but how does it work inside? Are the other guys not allowed to spot my enemy a turnip? How is that enforced when they're all sharing a kitchen? Is there a referee? The answer is lots of lawsuits, right?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Fangz posted:

I was making the point that there was a political angle to these discussions at the turn of the century and in particular in the case of the expanding bullets ban the defenses of the British delegation was (a) a long way away from modern arguments about penetrating interior walls etc, (b) connected to their uncomfortable political position amongst the other delegates.

Relevant page:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Throw down weapon? Is that the same as a drop gun?

I had the same question.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Cyrano4747 posted:

What are you trying to argue? They didn't ratify in 1899 because they were worried about the implications that it would have for their colonial troops, and made arguments that covered both the racist angle (we need special bullets because black people are super humanly tough) and the legal angle (they're not fighting a declared war anyway). Everyone else thought it was a bad idea for even colonial soldiers to have them, not because it was cruel to the natives but because there was no guarantee that in the exigencies of war that ammo wouldn't be used against Europeans. The specific case of the Boers brought the issue to a head and, along with some of the naval problems surrounding poo poo like prize ships and neutrality rights raised with the Russo-Japanese War, helped prompt the 1907 conference.

I am arguing exactly that. I don't know why you were giving the sense of Hague being a kumbayah where the Brits were in the majority when the British fought vociferously, opposing banning dum dums *even in wars between signatory powers*, resulting in that declaration passing 22-2. (The other vote against was the US) The fact that the British could legally continue to use these bullets against the zulus etc clearly did not reassure them enough to vote for the declaration.

Another point is that the Hague convention included some of the 'savages' the British were likely thinking about - Persia, Japan and China were participants.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 13, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ulmont posted:

I had the same question.
have none of you heard the phrase "throwing down" for "fighting" (in Thalantos's post, the worst part of a fight)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

HEY GUNS posted:

have none of you heard the phrase "throwing down" for "fighting" (in Thalantos's post, the worst part of a fight)

Sure, but never followed by "gun".

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Cyrano4747 posted:

it also allegedly eats feed ramps

Haven't used it enough to know yet...

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Thalantos posted:

I mean...sure there were assholes. There always are. But I genuinely enjoyed a lot of aspects of their culture, like their generosity as hosts.

Meh... I suppose.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

EvilMerlin posted:

Meh... I suppose.
the people who have never been anything but good to me are Turks. Salt of the earth.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Fangz posted:

I am arguing exactly that. I don't know why you were giving the sense of Hague being a kumbayah where the Brits were in the majority when the British fought vociferously,

I have no idea where you got that impression. I think we're arguing past each other and either you or I are badly misreading what the other is saying.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ulmont posted:

Sure, but never followed by "gun".
"a gun for the throw-down"?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Thalantos posted:

What? ::Googles it::

Jesus, gently caress no! Throw down as in fighting, as in, "we should have a weapon that fires enemy ammunition so that if things go sideways, we can at least in theory replenish our ammo supply."

What, like a new york reload?

e: oh nvm I think I got it now.

HEY GUNS posted:

"a gun for the throw-down"?

I also figured it for a drop gun :shrug:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Milo and POTUS posted:

What, like a new york reload?
what's a new york reload? is that swapping cylinders in a revolver out instead of reloading the individual bullets

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

what's a new york reload? is that swapping cylinders in a revolver out instead of reloading the individual bullets

It's when you switch to a backup weapon when your primary runs out of loaded ammo.

Its.....kinda like that. We kept the ak in the back seat, our translator kept an eye on it, usually.

My planned weapon useage and the order i planned to use them in if poo poo ever hit the fan were:

M240b, then my m4/m203, then my m9, then the ak, then my knives, then my fists and teeth.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

HEY GUNS posted:

the people who have never been anything but good to me are Turks. Salt of the earth.

The Kurds. Holy poo poo I love these people.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

EvilMerlin posted:

The Kurds. Holy poo poo I love these people.

Kurds are the best

This is in Lincoln, UK

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Thirding that Kurd love!

I absolutely LOVED the Kurds!

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I fondly remember listening to an old Kurdish man in a chippie telling two Greek tourists how great Greece is and what a load of garbage Turkey is

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

Kurds are the best

This is in Lincoln, UK
i wanna get my hair cut there, the turkish barber shop i go to in germany is full of some chill, chill dudes

edit: also seven pounds is a great deal for a haircut

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 14, 2019

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Thalantos posted:

Thirding that Kurd love!

I absolutely LOVED the Kurds!

They were the one group of people when I was with them, I knew I was safe and didn't have to worry about some blue on blue bullshittery. They watched out for us, just as well as we did for them.

Which is why us abandoning them in Syria is loving stupid.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

HEY GUNS posted:

Dropping the gun and switching to another, John Woo style. Term is sourced to self-defense instructor/expert witness Massad Ayoob and refers to something the NYPD did back in the revolver days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7r8LWyW6xE

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

HEY GUNS posted:

turks are good people in my experience

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

C.M. Kruger posted:

Dropping the gun and switching to another, John Woo style. Term is sourced to self-defense instructor/expert witness Massad Ayoob and refers to something the NYPD did back in the revolver days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7r8LWyW6xE

Can we talk about how much cyf owns

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the seventeenth century may have been bad for even worse reasons than we thought originally

https://twitter.com/RobGMacfarlane/status/1091034274348875776

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

What's going to be bad is when that starts being used for ideas on combatting climate change.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

What's going to be bad is when that starts being used for ideas on combatting climate change.

Can't have mass refugee crises if everyone is already dead :pseudo:!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Stairmaster posted:

I'm running for president on the classic JRPG Villain platform

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HEY GUNS posted:

the seventeenth century may have been bad for even worse reasons than we thought originally

https://twitter.com/RobGMacfarlane/status/1091034274348875776

Qapla'!

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

that's cool, i hadn't seen those connected before

apparently the very first english to show up in the new world recorded forests cleared of underbrush, like an english park, and the constant smell of smoke in the air from all the semi-controlled burnings the locals constantly did. then too many of them died and a couple decades later the next groups of english think they're in a loving primeval forest with sparse occurrences of noble savage

edit: looks like this paper is describing agricultural societies, so maybe not connecting with the people who knew that when they burned the forest, fruits and berries would show up and it'd be easier to see their prey

editedit: nm they do connect it to the fire stuff

quote:

In addition, the UCL team says the story fits with the records of charcoal and pollen deposits in the Americas.

These show the sort of perturbation expected from a decline in the use of fire to manage land, and a big grow-back of natural vegetation.

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 14, 2019

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

zoux posted:

Is there a currently existing bullet that would suck more to get shot with than say a 19th century Minie Ball

.50 BMG? Not because of anything special about it, but just because it's huge and trucking along at an immense velocity and as a result is going to make a bloody big hole in you.

Edit: I don't think a human is durable enough to trigger the fuse in a Raufoss round, but if they did it would presumably be even more unpleasant.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 14, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Lone Badger posted:

.50 BMG? Not because of anything special about it, but just because it's huge and trucking along at an immense velocity and as a result is going to make a bloody big hole in you.

I just might prefer the BMG bullet.

The Minié ball starts larger it’s going to get bigger when it encounters resistance.

Yeah the BMG bullet is somewhat heavier and moving twice as fast, but they’re both more than sufficient to go in one side and out the other, and if either of them is going to take a detour through some extra organs, it’s the Minié ball.

The Kaiser had a point when he whined about trench shotguns.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

The Lone Badger posted:

Edit: I don't think a human is durable enough to trigger the fuse in a Raufoss round, but if they did it would presumably be even more unpleasant.

The .50BMG is travelling a lot faster and has a LOT more energy. It removes limbs outright....

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

zoux posted:

Is there a currently existing bullet that would suck more to get shot with than say a 19th century Minie Ball

I imagine incendiary ammunition would be incredibly unfun to get shot by.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

EvilMerlin posted:

The .50BMG is travelling a lot faster and has a LOT more energy. It removes limbs outright....

Only on a near miss though.

:haw:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's fine you just don't wear a belt buckle and you won't get shot.

Don't hit!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
One of those shotgun breaching rounds would probably really suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Fangz posted:

I imagine incendiary ammunition would be incredibly unfun to get shot by.

Especially if the round doesn't exit the body and is still ignited. The standard M62 7.62 NATO round can burn for up to 5 seconds (if I remember correctly).