Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

idk the blokes in the mountains seem quite well dug in they'll probably survive if the weather holds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

One of the things I have to keep remembering to do as I advance north up the italian peninsula is re-base all the shorter-range aircraft from north africa and the ones I put in sicily, etc. to the newly-captured italian airbases. Having a bunch of planes assist with my ground attacks seems to help.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

They come for the Paratroopers, but they hold.

Thankfully the bad weather cuts both ways.

Hold lads!

I need to break through this week!

The RAF pay special attention to the plan factories this week.

The 8th pay attention to the heavy industry.

More mud, I definitely need to wait for this to clear before launching Operation Moisturise.

A massed attack breaks through to the airborne.

A poorly timed shift in the weather scuppered this, but I make the best of a bad situation.

We collect our latest wave of prisoners.

There is a small advance on this flank.

We also collect up the enemy airborne.

One pocket remains.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Patton breaking through the German counter-offensive to rescue the surrounded airborne...

:yeshaha:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I bet you're looking forward to having those troops back from Southern Italy. It's still going to be what, more than a month for them to get to the front though? 1 week to march down there, 1 week to convince the holdouts to surrender and then weeks of slogging back up North. From the rail shot you showed last time I wouldn't be surprised if you can't even rail them back North. I wonder if it'd be faster to send them by boat?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
1079 AFVs. Daaaaang. How many of those are tanks?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wait. Did you drop Dwight Eisenhower in with the doomed airborne as their CO.

Did that happen.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

that actually worked out ok didn't it

you now control a corridor over the mountains, with possibilities of securing a railway either to the west or the east

if you can hold it you're in northern italy and they pretty much have no way of stopping you until the alps, barring some bizarre riverine shenanigans

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Night10194 posted:

Wait. Did you drop Dwight Eisenhower in with the doomed airborne as their CO.

Did that happen.

I believe it shows the image of the commanding officer that the fighting formation is attached to. So in this case, the 504th US Parachute Regiment is directly under the command of Allied Forces HQ, so Eisenhower is technically their commander, even if he is not physically there with them.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
That vacationing German mechanized regiment in Messina have either been having the worst or the greatest time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

gohuskies posted:

I believe it shows the image of the commanding officer that the fighting formation is attached to. So in this case, the 504th US Parachute Regiment is directly under the command of Allied Forces HQ, so Eisenhower is technically their commander, even if he is not physically there with them.

I'd have assumed as much, it's just, you know. Grey. And also Grognard Games. So I had to ask.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Grey Hunter posted:

Here is my rail network, red is damaged, orange is repaired this turn. As you can see, I'm one(!) hex from connecting Rome, and through it my front line, to Naples by sea. So let's hope my guys sort out their poo poo soon.

Until I saw this picture I had no real grasp on just how succesful this version of the Italian campaign has been. Crazy how far North you've made it already.

Also how little it would probably matter in the grand scheme of things; even if the Allies made it to Milan by June '44, I don't know what it would have accomplished. Help out the air campaign I guess?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

PittTheElder posted:

Until I saw this picture I had no real grasp on just how succesful this version of the Italian campaign has been. Crazy how far North you've made it already.

Also how little it would probably matter in the grand scheme of things; even if the Allies made it to Milan by June '44, I don't know what it would have accomplished. Help out the air campaign I guess?

would draw off a *lot* of german forces from elsewhere, probably. make the actual invasion much easier or pull troops from the desperate rearguard going on on the eastern front

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LLSix posted:

I bet you're looking forward to having those troops back from Southern Italy. It's still going to be what, more than a month for them to get to the front though? 1 week to march down there, 1 week to convince the holdouts to surrender and then weeks of slogging back up North. From the rail shot you showed last time I wouldn't be surprised if you can't even rail them back North. I wonder if it'd be faster to send them by boat?

Shipping them is an option, yes. The various ports have maximum capacities for loading ships, and that's a lot of units, so it's unlikely he can get all of them loaded at just one port, and it'd take a while to unload them all at just one port up north, too. Rail is probably not fully connected yet, correct. He could probably take Messina with half that force, but it might take multiple weeks of attacks, so by dedicating a full army to the task he's trading fighting-time for transit-time getting them back to the front. But one advantage of doing it this way is probably less attrition from a longer siege and more time for each unit to recover TOE. Probably washes out to something close to even either way.

Most likely he can send them in pairs to the nearest three or four ports, get them loaded up in a turn, and then send them to two or three ports up north and get them unloaded in a couple of turns, and then another turn to get them all back near each other, and overall save maybe 1-2 turns vs just marching them north.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Once again the Germans are forced to give up ground – and it was nice defensible ground as well!

Bad weather mostly grounds my airforce again.

This dammed weather makes attacks hard.

I'm able to make some attacks though! Mostly I move troops up to prepare for a major offensive – and take the airborne off the line.

I see a weak spot on the eastern coast.

Flee you fools!

We're coming for you.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What happens when a unit Routs as opposed to Retreats? Surrender is obviously self explanatory.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Night10194 posted:

What happens when a unit Routs as opposed to Retreats? Surrender is obviously self explanatory.

a rout is a disorganized withdrawal that causes most heavy equipment to be lost, a precipitous drop in Morale (which is a general measure of combat ability, not simply elan), and puts the unit in a combat-incapable routed state that it needs to recover from

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

That 1:1 unit between you and Ravenna is the greatest thing you could ask for. If the Germans don't reinforce that position your tanks have a straight shot to the rail connection outside of town and can cut off 2/3rds of the forces in Italy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

:unsmigghh:

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Can you fly in supply and fuel to the northern units? Being able to run to Ravenna without having to repair the railroads to your front lines would be really nice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can indeed airdrop supplies on units.

Bear in mind the fog of war. Given how few flights went in the previous turn, Grey's recon is probably pretty poor; there could be more units along that green path. And the AI will definitely reorganize between turns.

Still... it's a good plan.

e. Oh, and Rimini is a port, so cutting off there won't totally desupply the german units, but they'll definitely suffer. Possibly grey may have naval/air superiority over Rimini, in which case they would become isolated.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 14, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah as attractive a goal as Ravenna is, it seems like Remini should be the real target.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'm going for the coast wherever I can, Then I'll worry about ports. I can always naval blockade, and Remini will be to small to adequately supply all those units.

I'd be there now if the mud hadn't hit right after I landed my paratroopers!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the allies should have completely uncontested air air and naval superiority in the area, surely you can blockade a port to starve out basically a whole german army

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

the allies should have completely uncontested air air and naval superiority in the area, surely you can blockade a port to starve out basically a whole german army

Its a shorter run than to Naples, but yeah, a few well targeted plane strikes and I'm rolling up half their army.

If they don't break and run before then. I need to be careful to not trigger a retreat - I may try ANOTHER drop to cut retreat rail lines....

Poor buggers.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

What's the order of battle like? How many planes do the Germans have? You're nearing or at the point when the Allies pretty much began destroying the Luftwaffe in the West with long-range fighters.

Shouldn't you get your airborne units back in England to prepare for invading the Netherlands.
It will be interesting to see how that goes.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Germans throw two panzer divisions and two motorized, plus infantry support at me. Somehow my plucky unit of Brits hold.

Now their line is starting to look fragile.

The planes have a proper week off.

I go for the easy target first.

I then turn east.

I bring up more men and punch out the centre.

I keep up pressure on the eastern coast.

With the bulk of their forces inland, I make good advances.

I'm so close to the open ground.

So many mechanised units, all waiting to play.

This frees up a lot of troops, and secures me another port.

How long can Germany take losses like this?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter posted:

How long can Germany take losses like this?

* checks notes *

About another year...

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That's just brutal. All Germans south of Ravenna have to retreat or be captured, and Grey now has a lot of plains to chase the Nazi with.

E: how soon can the paratroopers airdrop again?
E2: I just realized those paratroopers spearheaded a brute force breakthrough through the Appennini mountains. MVP of the Italian campaign, shared with the Roman beacheads.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 15, 2019

Jalak
Nov 23, 2013
How far can you fly paratroopers out? Can we just land them in Berlin and trick the ai to retreat into Poland?

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
That’s an impressive amount of grit from the 2nd special service brigade considering what just got thrown at their faces :stare:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Serpentis posted:

That’s an impressive amount of grit from the 2nd special service brigade considering what just got thrown at their faces :stare:

less than 4,000 men held 66,000 Germans and 450 tanks!

That's another war film.

I wish I could make these things into a war film somehow.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Did we just mulch a German unit with old tanks or something because I'm pretty sure we didn't see quite a few of those tanks before.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Danann posted:

Did we just mulch a German unit with old tanks or something because I'm pretty sure we didn't see quite a few of those tanks before.

Yeah, the this turn and totals are the same.

If you look at the attack at Ancona, you can see the 155th Reserve Panzer division just got their asses handed to them.

gubernaculum
Apr 28, 2014
This is awesome Grey! I've also been lurking WiTP since the start and wanted to say thanks

Careful with the NZ 2nd Division - old Uncle Bruce is in there somewhere

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Looking at the list of ground losses it seems that the 155th Reserve Panzer division was composed entirely of captured French and Italian tanks

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

overmind2000 posted:

Looking at the list of ground losses it seems that the 155th Reserve Panzer division was composed entirely of captured French and Italian tanks

no wonder they got held off, those things suck

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Some weird stuff appeared in the "destroyed" list, together with captured French stuff there were Panzerjaeger 1, basically a Pz.1 chassis with a captured Czechoslovak AT gun. Supposedly retired in 1943.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
With 66,000 vs 4000 and 4000 holding, they must have been dug in as gently caress in the foothills around Gubbio. Especially since they must have had extremely limited anti-tank weaponry. Force the attackers to come up ravines and heavily forested hillsides in the mud and rain. Would make a really good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

habeasdorkus posted:

With 66,000 vs 4000 and 4000 holding, they must have been dug in as gently caress in the foothills around Gubbio. Especially since they must have had extremely limited anti-tank weaponry. Force the attackers to come up ravines and heavily forested hillsides in the mud and rain. Would make a really good movie.

"Gubbio" is now Italian for "Rorke's Drift".