Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

divabot posted:

the editor apparently loved my book and had wanted to get me to write something for ages, evidently I just hadn't been whoring myself out hard enough previously for him to realise I'm on twitter 16hr/day

I was actually thinking about this the other day. Is there any money in writing about Bitcoin? I know authors who write on a variety of topics, and (especially the ones who go traditional print routes) the $/hour return they end up with is abysmal. Only two of them manage to earn their entire livings by writing, and even that’s a stretch, because they also do speaking engagements, and other writing-adjacent things. I’m not sure if Bitcoin being a niche product means it’s harder to earn money writing about it because the audience is small, or easier because the supply of writers is also small.

It would be awesome if your book earned you half a million dollars or pounds or whatever, but the authors I know end up earning more like a few thousand dollars total for an entire book. On the plus side, a book might continue earning them $50/month until the end of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Norton the First posted:

I seriously cannot wait for the next market crash.

Too blockchain to fail

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I was actually thinking about this the other day. Is there any money in writing about Bitcoin? I know authors who write on a variety of topics, and (especially the ones who go traditional print routes) the $/hour return they end up with is abysmal. Only two of them manage to earn their entire livings by writing, and even that’s a stretch, because they also do speaking engagements, and other writing-adjacent things. I’m not sure if Bitcoin being a niche product means it’s harder to earn money writing about it because the audience is small, or easier because the supply of writers is also small.

It would be awesome if your book earned you half a million dollars or pounds or whatever, but the authors I know end up earning more like a few thousand dollars total for an entire book. On the plus side, a book might continue earning them $50/month until the end of time.

divabot has made more money off bitcoin that the vast majority of coiners, with a stupid little ebook he wrote that costs like five bucks.

What's the count up to now Diva? Like, 25k?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Tashilicious posted:

divabot has made more money off bitcoin that the vast majority of coiners, with a stupid little ebook he wrote that costs like five bucks.

What's the count up to now Diva? Like, 25k?

so I did my taxes for 2017-2018, and I made £51k in my day job as an overpaid computer toucher, and £23k from book and talks (including £2.5k from telling bankers why blockchain is pants - I will usually ask for £500, freebies for suitably charitable events, the thing Spiked Online ran where they couldn't afford to pay panelists but were charging £90/ticket can go gently caress itself beyond even my ability to express concisely).

that's, like, a seriously successful self-published book that was released at precisely the right time, and being self-published I keep the publisher share too

2018-2019 should be lower.

but yeah, sales are now at that sorta low steady pace. basically the path to Kindle success is releasing an okay book every few months, and building up a comet tail of small earners.

total sales by now are around 9,000 paid sales which is numbers even a proper publisher would be delighted with, so I'm actually surprised I've had 0 approaches

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When's your sequel coming out?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
BlockChain of Fools

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Tashilicious posted:

"Son of the 50 foot Blockchain : the ICO that shagged me" ?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
pounded in the butt by various exchanges going insolvent by chuck tingle

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
A guy I know has been Facebook posting about the Jp Morgan bitcoin thing. Talking about how they were condemning crypto up until the point that they’ve released their own.

Seems like a strange move on their part honestly, bit late to the game.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Abongination posted:

A guy I know has been Facebook posting about the Jp Morgan bitcoin thing. Talking about how they were condemning crypto up until the point that they’ve released their own.

Seems like a strange move on their part honestly, bit late to the game.

What, are you trying to say major american banks tend to be way behind the times on technology? I mean it only took them like a decade to bring chip and pin to America, and they only started instituting well after the rest of the world had learned to hack chip and pin negating almost all the possible benefits.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It's:
1.Backed by a major financial institution.
2.Not available to the general public.
3.Tied to the US dollar.
4.Not mine-able.

How is it like bitcoin at all?

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
blockchain

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

But without the drug dealing and insolvency and instability it's just not fun!
:mad:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Tashilicious posted:

when i finish it, which will probably be one day maybe

in other news i missed my plane to greece this morning, so i just dropped a painful amount on EasyJet return tickets - a fitting punishment - and will be going tomorrow. greece2.txt shall happen!!

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Lmao the banks launder more drug money in a year than bitcoin ever will. Wasn't there a Hong Kong bank a few years ago that was knowingly and deliberately washing literaly billions of usd in drug money for the cartels in exchange for a cut, and no one was put to death for it?

Drug dealing, insolvency, instability? Who needs bitcoin when these features are already built into the banks without needing to launch their own altcoin.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

McGiggins posted:

Lmao the banks launder more drug money in a year than bitcoin ever will. Wasn't there a Hong Kong bank a few years ago that was knowingly and deliberately washing literaly billions of usd in drug money for the cartels in exchange for a cut, and no one was put to death for it?

Drug dealing, insolvency, instability? Who needs bitcoin when these features are already built into the banks without needing to launch their own altcoin.

bitcoin is a lot faster and safer than stuffing a flat rate box full of 20s

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSBC#Controversies

they got fined ~1.9B, but pretty sure they didn't actually pay anything and the criminal charges were dropped. Like nothing happened.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

poverty goat posted:

bitcoin is a lot faster and safer than stuffing a flat rate box full of 20s
Faster? Maybe. Safer?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

McGiggins posted:

Despite the name, HSBC is not 'a Hong Kong bank'. Think more British Wells Fargo or Bank of America.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

McGiggins posted:

my car had a flat tire

instead of fixing it, I threw that poo poo out and got a reliant robin

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Klyith posted:

my car had a flat tire

instead of fixing it, I threw that poo poo out and got a reliant robin

That's the loving story of bitcoin right there

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Faster? Maybe. Safer?

Cards with money in them get stolen all the time and an uninsured box of undeclared uninsured cash is early christmas for that rear end in a top hat. Bitcoin has delivered on all its promises in spades when it comes to illegal e-commerce. Buying drugs on the internet is now safer and more reliable than buying drugs from a sketchy guy you met at a bar, the drugs are better, and the scene is booming. Energy control did a study a while back and found that the worst dark web cocaine was better than the best street cocaine, because all the vendors are now in competition and cannot murder each other. Established vendors have years of customer feedback now and bend over backwards to provide excellent customer service. This is all possible through the magic of butts and the free market. Hallelujah

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

revwinnebago posted:

What, are you trying to say major american banks tend to be way behind the times on technology? I mean it only took them like a decade to bring chip and pin to America, and they only started instituting well after the rest of the world had learned to hack chip and pin negating almost all the possible benefits.

No no we got chip and signature, providing all the transistion costs with none of the benefits and a 500% slower transaction at the point of sale.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

poverty goat posted:

Cards with money in them get stolen all the time and an uninsured box of undeclared uninsured cash is early christmas for that rear end in a top hat. Bitcoin has delivered on all its promises in spades when it comes to illegal e-commerce. Buying drugs on the internet is now safer and more reliable than buying drugs from a sketchy guy you met at a bar, the drugs are better, and the scene is booming. Energy control did a study a while back and found that the worst dark web cocaine was better than the best street cocaine, because all the vendors are now in competition and cannot murder each other. Established vendors have years of customer feedback now and bend over backwards to provide excellent customer service. This is all possible through the magic of butts and the free market. Hallelujah

Isn't getting drugs delivered through the mail to your house super dangerous though? Also giving your details to a burtcon exchange

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

divabot posted:

so I did my taxes for 2017-2018, and I made £51k in my day job as an overpaid computer toucher, and £23k from book and talks (including £2.5k from telling bankers why blockchain is pants - I will usually ask for £500, freebies for suitably charitable events, the thing Spiked Online ran where they couldn't afford to pay panelists but were charging £90/ticket can go gently caress itself beyond even my ability to express concisely).

that's, like, a seriously successful self-published book that was released at precisely the right time, and being self-published I keep the publisher share too

but yeah, sales are now at that sorta low steady pace. basically the path to Kindle success is releasing an okay book every few months, and building up a comet tail of small earners.

total sales by now are around 9,000 paid sales which is numbers even a proper publisher would be delighted with, so I'm actually surprised I've had 0 approaches

That's pretty good. $26,000 from a single book for anyone not named Stephen King or JK Rowling is no joke. Popping 40% on top of your day job is nice.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

poverty goat posted:

Buying drugs on the internet is now safer and more reliable than buying drugs from a sketchy guy you met at a bar

yeah just gonna break international drug laws with this transaction on a public ledger and hope the cops never seize this server for as long as my name and shipping address remains on it. way safer than just meeting some festival hippies

edit- who buy on the darknet for you.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

feedmegin posted:

Despite the name, HSBC is not 'a Hong Kong bank'. Think more British Wells Fargo or Bank of America.

This said, HSBC was pretty much founded as an opium profiteer, so, you know, they're just keeping in touch with their roots.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

poverty goat posted:

all the vendors are now in competition and cannot murder each other.
I think there's a healthy debate to be had here over whether it was a more real form of capitalism before, when vendors could murder each other

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Pochoclo posted:

Isn't getting drugs delivered through the mail to your house super dangerous though?

It's far safer from a search and seizure perspective to have the post office deliver your drugs than to walk or drive with them (especially if you are not white), and the postal inspectors are federal and don't even bother following up small quantities of drugs. Traffic stops are the primary wellspring of drug busts in America and should be avoided at all costs

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

poverty goat posted:

It's far safer from a search and seizure perspective to have the post office deliver your drugs than to walk or drive with them (especially if you are not white), and the postal inspectors are federal and don't even bother following up small quantities of drugs. Traffic stops are the primary wellspring of drug busts in America and should be avoided at all costs

You sound very knowledgeable and correct but goons will Dunning-Kruger themselves all over you because the unpopular thing that goons hate must be unequivocally bad in every single way

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
But what if kids steal it and cost me thousands of dollars of profit :ohdear:

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

EorayMel posted:

Then those kids are gonna have a great fukn night and realize that they need to get in on this.

Verdict: good for Bitcoin

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

EorayMel posted:

I saw a post on reddit where some guy said some local kids stole his package of research chemicals that would likely kill them. Probably bullshit because reddit, but hey.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Someone posted that in here (or maybe the amber thread) and iirc it was a gram of pure fentanyl or something that he was planning on cutting with dextrose down to dime bags or some poo poo.

I think he said he told their parents and threw out all his drug paraphernalia

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://twitter.com/hongkonghermit/status/1097165343586320386?s=21

Nothing says innovative digital currency like a broken “buy only” ATM located down a side road that is bypassed by 99% of all local pedestrian traffic and requires a 10 minute detour to reach.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Pochoclo posted:

Isn't getting drugs delivered through the mail to your house super dangerous though? Also giving your details to a burtcon exchange

I always used to get it delivered to the house under a false name so if they were being tracked I could say I get their mail all the time and threw it out / it's not mine.
I did wonder how well that would've held up but I never had to find out. Used to get drugs delivered regularly, like once a month for a few years. It was never huge amounts, 10g was the biggest, usually 2-3g worth.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/HongKongHermit/status/1087271238521614338

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

divabot posted:

I spent more money on your book than I will ever spend on bitcoin. Glad I made your taxes complicated

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The real danger is the drug seller getting busted and selling out his customers, not the post office checking your packages.

Also, winners don't do drugs. Buy some beers or something, jfc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
"The majority of drug busts are traffic stops. So my Bitcoin scheme is way safer."

*Drives away from the post office with 5 "birthday cards" every week*