Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

MechaX posted:

Not to take away from the attention the DOA stuff rightfully deserves, but why isn’t Wiz getting blown up about this too? This is active bracket rigging at this point
do people care about this any more? capcom bracket rigs at official events multiple times, including battle for the stones. esports mission for matchmaking is to create great storylines to follow for spectators, it has little to do with competition between players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tbf racist bracket rigging is a new one

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Western culture summed up in one image.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Benson Cunningham posted:

Lol

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I think people were more against the photo mode stuff where the director was lingering on long shots that made it look like Bass was eating out the women he was powerbombing.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

This is extremely on point.

KungFu Grip posted:

I think people were more against the photo mode stuff where the director was lingering on long shots that made it look like Bass was eating out the women he was powerbombing.

Also I'm mad at DOA for stealing my sweet bed room moves.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I 100% understand them pulling the plug, apparently the models were saying super lewd things too.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They're gravure models, it's their job to say sexy stuff

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Endorph posted:

I never said you shouldn't say the DoA ad was dumb and crass (in fact, I literally said it was dumb and crass), just that the reaction is wildly out of proportion with what it is and how he reacts to much more serious situations. Go 'hey, that was kind of dumb' and move on.

And IMO some amount of sexuality is good. Like I've mentioned in this thread maybe seventeen? times already, a lot of women are into sexualized characters if its handled the right way. ladies loved mai shiranui. not that this DoA thing plays into that, since it was just dumb sex jokes, but I feel like some people kind of want to throw the baby out with the bath water.

I mean, the internet is hyperbolic, anything that causes some controversy is bound to have people yelling OH MY GOD THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER and all. Mr. Wizard's statement wasn't even condemning, it was a PR "if anyone got upset it wasn't on us" that he backed out of anyway, so I don't think that's much of an issue here.

I don't mind some amount of sexuality either, I just feel a lot of it is very gratuitous and lazy, and when it's played up to be pure tittilation, especially when the character in question is supposed to be demure...eh. I don't even think that's the most important part of it at all, the DOA thing was bad and crude for reasons not pertaining to how DOA characters are designed.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

In Training posted:

They're gravure models, it's their job to say sexy stuff

Some guy on twitter was saying that it's all fine because the girls liked it too, like yeah no poo poo they do when they're paid to

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

western culture doesn't actually exist

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

lol

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, people go around ogling and groping women against their will, I ain't seeing many hand-to-hand decapitation cases in America. The gun/military obssession would be a better thing to focus on, 'cause that one kills a hell of a lot of people and it's actually doable IRL.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dias posted:

I mean, people go around ogling and groping women against their will, I ain't seeing many hand-to-hand decapitation cases in America.

dias raise a good point, groping incidents would definitely go down if women started decapitating gropers for it

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brother Entropy posted:

dias raise a good point, groping incidents would definitely go down if women started decapitating gropers for it

See, this I support. Execute a real-life fatality on Marn.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
i cant believe evo censored doa's free speech, im gonna go buy 10 coppies to support them!!!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Dias posted:

This.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dias posted:

And release all the pestilence and fumes inside that gas bag? No thank you, the planet is already hosed enough as is.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Brother Entropy posted:

Women in the early 1900s just started stabbing the poo poo out of gropers by using stiletto-length hat pins. Men responded by outlawing hat pins long enough to stab with.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the photo mode thing was great because that's usually what photo mode for every other game is used for

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

mango sentinel posted:

Women in the early 1900s just started stabbing the poo poo out of gropers by using stiletto-length hat pins. Men responded by outlawing hat pins long enough to stab with.

It's like that Bojack Horseman episode, but in real life!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Where's this core value destroying DOA advertisement that is causing all this hub bub and why the gently caress does EVO care about some goddamn titties?

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

AndyElusive posted:

Where's this core value destroying DOA advertisement that is causing all this hub bub and why the gently caress does EVO care about some goddamn titties?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

AndyElusive posted:

Joey doesn't give a poo poo but big advertisers certainly don't want that poo poo associated with their brands.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

you know,

they could have just asked koei for a copy of their script before the show and none of this would have happened

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

Joey doesn't give a poo poo but big advertisers certainly don't want that poo poo associated with their brands.

He was stomping mad according to reports, so yeah it was him. The brands are also mostly Japanese and are the ones who don't give a gently caress.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Smoking Crow posted:

you know,

they could have just asked koei for a copy of their script before the show and none of this would have happened

that would have required forethought, planning, and maybe just a bit of effort

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

you know,

this also wouldn't have happened if koei had been less dumb, so

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Women being sexually objectified? IN MY FIGHTING GAMES?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

AndyElusive posted:

It's more likely than you think.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

the sexually objectifying women defender has logged on

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Brother Entropy posted:

this also wouldn't have happened if koei had been less dumb, so

my aunt had everyone who wanted to do a toast at her wedding submit their speeches to her for approval

how is an international esports tournament less well run than my aunt's wedding

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

the sexually objectifying women defender has logged on

:actually:

Just having a sensible chuckle at how that segment involving female boobies was the straw that broke the wizards back.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

my aunt had everyone who wanted to do a toast at her wedding submit their speeches to her for approval

how is an international esports tournament less well run than my aunt's wedding

why does your aunt trust your family less than evo trusts fighting game devs

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Brother Entropy posted:

why does your aunt trust your family less than evo trusts fighting game devs

she's smart

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wiz hired security guards to stop the Ghost of Marvel from playing Chris G as his final boss, shameful

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

AndyElusive posted:

:actually:

Just having a sensible chuckle at how that segment involving female boobies was the straw that broke the wizards back.

I mean, it was his event doing the thing, he couldn't just go "well, that's how the game is".

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
The truth is, if FGC wants more women participation and members, and have a 50% gender ratio like Sengan Kagura they're going to need the women to have skimpier and more easily destructed clothing and more pussy eating jokes. Indeed the only thing DOA did wrong was have Bass do it instead of another DOA girl.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

NutritiousSnack posted:

He was stomping mad according to reports, so yeah it was him. The brands are also mostly Japanese and are the ones who don't give a gently caress.

This is surprisingly good to hear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Dead Or Alive should just make all the dudes super sexy too. If all the girls in the game are gently caress candy, make the dudes the same. Then every time someone posts about Kasumi's tits it can be countered with Bayman's dong bulge.