Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I am the only person in the universe wondering this, but what happened to Sheeva?

The Shokan in general got kind of a raw deal lately, in terms of story. Basically being sacked for favor of the Centaur. She was Sindel's bodyguard before Sindel got a powerup, didn't need a bodyguard, murdered everyone and died.

If the comics are Canon, then she's both Queen of the Shokan as well as, if that's Goro's corpse on the throne, literally the only named Shokan character currently alive. I feel like there's potential there that hasn't really existed before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Mr. Neutron posted:

Well, since the MK11 theme so far seems to mostly be 'fan favourites who missed out on MKX', who might be next? Stryker? Nighwolf?

I've got my money on noob, smoke, and sindel making the cut. I dont think Nightwolf or Stryker have enough of a fanbase, though Nightwolf could potentially be plot relevant enough to warrant it.

Also I just realized how bad MK3 fans got screwed with MKX and why that cast feels weirdly anemic. If you dont count Triborg, Ermac is the only MK3 originating character to make that one

^^^ as I wrote this post I completely forgot sheeva existed

Flinger posted:

N O O B

give me my goofy traitorous shadowgoo zombie ninja

Yeeeeeah I want original rear end in a top hat subzero bi han in one form or another, kuai liangs recent obsession with Mr freeze puns are killing me

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 15, 2019

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

pretty soft girl posted:

I've got my money on noob, smoke, and sindel making the cut. I dont think Nightwolf or Stryker have enough of a fanbase, though Nightwolf could potentially be plot relevant enough to warrant it.

Also I just realized how bad MK3 fans got screwed with MKX and why that cast feels weirdly anemic. If you dont count Triborg, Ermac is the only MK3 originating character to make that one

^^^ as I wrote this post I completely forgot sheeva existed

there were like....8 or so new characters in MKX with the Kombat Kidz + Kotal Kahn, D'vorah, Erron, and Ferra/Torr (Idk if Tremor counts here). That's a big chunk of the base roster to take up which is why I don't think more than 4 (D'vorah, Kotal, Cassie, Erron) will return or at least Jacqui will replace Jax.

Honestly I'd be really surprised if Stryker, Nightwolf, and Sheeva came back, though. Sheeva would be a hell of a return. She'd be my pick over the other two just because she's a Shokan.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Kuai is such a punny bitch he can't even resist making one when Scorpion brings up his dead family in an intro.

Scorp: I still grieve for my wife and son.
Sub: I'm not so cold as to mock your pain.

What the gently caress dude

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Marin Karin posted:

Kuai is such a punny bitch he can't even resist making one when Scorpion brings up his dead family in an intro.

Bi Han would straight out say gently caress your dumb family and clan lol

edit: scorpion and post-death bi han haven't had any canon interactions yet have they? Looking forward to that if not

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 15, 2019

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Marin Karin posted:

That's cool though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
After not quite getting round to the Injustice games I think I'm going to grab this. Possibly twice as might want the Switch one for when I'm in hotels for work and PS4 for home use and the beta. Shame theres no Switch beta.

I don't think I've played an MK since some Gamecube version, is that going to make this less accessible?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
They should only bring back Stryker if they give him a crazy evil revenant magic cop moveset.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

It's not the same engine or general gameplay as the GC/PS2/Xbox games. That said MK isn't terribly difficult to get into, I wouldn't worry much.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

I don't think I've played an MK since some Gamecube version, is that going to make this less accessible?

Can you mash buttons?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Dj Meow Mix posted:

It's not the same engine or general gameplay as the GC/PS2/Xbox games. That said MK isn't terribly difficult to get into, I wouldn't worry much.

Not desperately surprise to hear this, I think it transitioned to 3D game-play and back out again whilst I was away. It's more stuff like;

Rhonne posted:

They should only bring back Stryker if they give him a crazy evil revenant magic cop moveset.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Old kharacters you're familiar with will have a couple of iconic moves that you will remember but in general the playstyles have all shifted a bit.

In terms of story you are... one timeline reset and 2 sequels removed so a lot changed.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

BizarroAzrael posted:

The gameplay should be fine. Netherrealm has its own peculiar rhythm, but it's also designed to be easy to pick up and play.

The story, on the other hand, has gotten weirdly intricate and far-ranging (modern MK is basically a giant superhero-comic summer crossover, except the comics don't exist), but there are a lot of videos on YouTube of people who've edited the MK9 and MKX story modes into a sort of movie format. If you can find the time to watch those in the next three months before MK11 comes out, you'll be more or less up to speed.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhonne posted:

RIP Robert Z'Dar.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Not desperately surprise to hear this, I think it transitioned to 3D game-play and back out again whilst I was away. It's more stuff like;

Basic story summed up:

- MK Armageddon was this game where the story was "every MK character ever plays King of the Mountain on a giant pyramid and the winner gets ultimate power."

- MK9 begins with the reveal that Shao Kahn won. A dying Raiden sent a half-assed message and some visions back in time. MK1 Raiden gets these messages, but doesn't really know what the solution is supposed to be. We get a detailed retelling of MK1, a somewhat altered take of MK2 and a very, very different version of MK3. Thanks to Raiden's decisions, Sub-Zero is a cyborg, Liu Kang goes insane and every hero dies except Johnny Cage and Sonya. But at least Shao Kahn is 100% dead to the point of his soul being torn apart.

- MKX starts with a retelling of MK4 only now Quan Chi has a bunch of zombie heroes (revenants) doing his bidding, Kenshi is around and Johnny Cage is the hero who beats Shinnok. An accidental mixing of Raiden and Quan's magic brings Sub-Zero, Jax and Scorpion back to life. Years later, there are second-generation youngster heroes (ie. Cassie Cage) and Outworld is run by Kotal Kahn, who is barbaric, but not outright evil. The good guys want to hunt down and capture Quan Chi so he can un-revenant all the dead good guys, but a pissed off Scorpion kills him instead. Then Shinnok is brought back and loses to Cassie. Stopping Shinnok's plan turned Raiden all dark so that he wants to wipe out all potential threats to Earthrealm. Revenant versions of Liu Kang and Kitana rule Hell.

And that's where we are.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Gavok posted:

A dying Raiden sent a half-assed message and some visions back in time.

It just occurred to me that Raiden is such an rear end in a top hat he can't take two seconds to send a message back in time to clarify what he meant at the end of MK9

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You gotta love a fight god who has to second guess and interpret what he might have meant when he tells himself something very important.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

pretty soft girl posted:

It just occurred to me that Raiden is such an rear end in a top hat he can't take two seconds to send a message back in time to clarify what he meant at the end of MK9

Well technically it's a better future than the one the original message came from, so why risk loving it up even more. A win is a win.

I wonder if Johnny Cage and the other heroes are at all worried about the fact that their old pal Raiden is now all dark and glowing red and torturing people. Seems like a bit of a red flag.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 15, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rhonne posted:

Well technically it's a better future than the one the original message came from, so why risk loving it up even more. A win is a win.

I wonder if Johnny Cage and the other heroes are at all worried about the fact that their old pal Raiden is now all dark and glowing red and torturing people. Seems like a bit of a red flag.

It is a thing in X that most of the heroes think Raiden's pretty useless. The Special Forces bunch especially keep telling Raiden please stop, we've got this and you just make things worse.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Wanderer posted:

The story, on the other hand, has gotten weirdly intricate and far-ranging (modern MK is basically a giant superhero-comic summer crossover, except the comics don't exist), but there are a lot of videos on YouTube of people who've edited the MK9 and MKX story modes into a sort of movie format.

I recommend MK9 and MKX by Vman.

Or the excellent MKX: Corruption by Vman and CHECK.

Mr. Neutron fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 15, 2019

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I love that MK9 is basically “What if Days Of Future Past, but we basically hosed everything up in the process of averting the bad future?”

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Unlucky7 posted:

I love that MK9 is basically “What if Days Of Future Past, but we basically hosed everything up in the process of averting the bad future?”

This happened in Wolverine & The X-Men, where Professor X tries to send messages back in time to avoid Days of Future Past, and as a result creates Age of Apocalypse.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

It looks like TER from the steam achievement leak might have been Geras, from reddit.

If true, I'm a little bummed we're not getting a full Arnold Terminator, but this means more room for Noob Saibot

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

HMS Beagle posted:

It looks like TER from the steam achievement leak might have been Geras, from reddit.

If true, I'm a little bummed we're not getting a full Arnold Terminator, but this means more room for Noob Saibot

There's no reason the DLC characters would be in any leaked trophy/achievement lists

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years

Veryslightlymad posted:

I am the only person in the universe wondering this, but what happened to Sheeva?

Nope, my very first post in this thread was saying how she's my top surprise pick because she's my nostalgic favorite.

mk1 was kano, mk2 was baraka, mk3 was sheeva. I skipped most the 3d games and only got back on at mk10, where d'vorah was my favorite new character.

If Sheeva makes it in, then mk11 is Ed Boon giving me everything I ever wanted like some kind of whimsical murder genie.

Edit to say that while d'vorah is my favorite, I think all the new mk10 characters were neat and would be happy to see more of them return.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

HMS Beagle posted:

TER being Geras changes a lot since now we can't even be sure the other two aren't codenames as well

Also this means another roster spot gets freed up to another unknown which owns

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
Hey, this is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e897pygfID4

I've got some questions that I'd love to see them take on too. Is it really possible to inflate someone's head so it carries them upward like a balloon? Will a guy scream when you punch his torso off, if his head is already ripped off? How many limbs does the human body have: is it closer to 10 or 20?

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

blinking beacon nose posted:

Hey, this is up:

I've got some questions that I'd love to see them take on too. Is it really possible to inflate someone's head so it carries them upward like a balloon? Will a guy scream when you punch his torso off, if his head is already ripped off? How many limbs does the human body have: is it closer to 10 or 20?

As interesting as the end result is this host is painfully lame

Also this is making me crack up at how unbelievably half assed the mk3 finishers are

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Hey, this is up:

How much force is necessary to dickpunch/cuntpunch someone such that their eyes pop out of their skull and/or their head pops off? Can a person survive having bladed fans shoved through their eye sockets? Multiple times. Can you electrocute someone so hard they explode?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

How much pressure is required to reduce somebody to the size of a baby? How about even smaller like with Ermac's fatality?

How many likes would a selfie with someone you just killed by smashing off their jaw through the use of a collapsible baton get you? Is that something that can even be scientifically found out?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/OneAngryGamerHD/status/1096303461631709184

Burka Battle 11

https://twitter.com/OneAngryGamerHD/status/1097525286558670853

Boner culture

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I mean ya, but what about my boners culture? Hopefully WB and NRS will take that into consideration with their female costumes.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

AndyElusive posted:

I mean ya, but what about my boners culture?

"We hear you, and we understand. That is why Johnny Cage's primary costume will now be his 'Going Commando in Sweatpants' alternate, featuring cutting-edge dong physics."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Well now I've got Kombat Fever, is X still pretty active? Thinking about redownloading it.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Getting mad that Netherrealm won't let me jerk off to this corpse

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

Oh my God there's an entire article. I thought it was just a tweet and a picture

sexify corpses article posted:

And before you millennials, Leftists, and Centrists™ start going on about how she’s still attractive (since most don’t seem to have played any games before 2014) 
One gamer actually pointed this out over on Twitter to NetherRealm Studio’s community manager, Tyler Lansdown, saying that if NetherRealm wants his money as a consumer they’ll need to make the girls look sexy. Lansdown promptly told the gamer that they didn’t want his respect (and by proxy, nor his money either).

edit: it's a great article

blinking beacon nose fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 20, 2019

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I don't think any mods read this thread but if you are please slip "boner culture" into the thread title.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Oh my God there's an entire article. I thought it was just a tweet and a picture

edit: it's a great article

This guy votes for Trump because Democrats don't like bikinis enough.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jade's bowling ball bazongas in MK9: :flaccid:
Jade's crushed green velvet outfit tasetfully refracting light sources with SSAO in MK11: :fap:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
lol if you end the day without your groin being raw from touching yourself to Baraka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

EorayMel posted:

lol if you end the day without your groin being raw from touching yourself to Baraka

You're in luck!

https://mobile.twitter.com/sunof_black/status/1096823109754253312