Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Jack B Nimble posted:

Fixed recoil pattern = no gun but r 301 after a while? I was never one of those CS players but won't a good one be able to hold down the trigger and hit all the shots, after sufficient practice?

Yup. It's why fixed recoil patterns are a terrible piece of game design, that some FPS games copy out of some cargo-cult mentality where "CS does it so it must be good".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Bipedal Cat
Dec 12, 2018

panda clue posted:

I don't gauge cultural relevance by player count. Team Fortress 2 hasn't been on the front page of twitch... ever?

That's dumb? Because things that are popular aren't culturally relevant, right? The TF2 subreddit has twice the subs the the combined Titanfall subreddit has. It's also 13 years old and hasn't been seriously supported in about a decade. This is a dumb argument though because anyone who sees "TF2" in the Apex thread and thinks "Team Fortress 2" is probably a wee bit touched in the head.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Small Bipedal Cat posted:

That's dumb? Because things that are popular aren't culturally relevant, right? The TF2 subreddit has twice the subs the the combined Titanfall subreddit has. It's also 13 years old and hasn't been seriously supported in about a decade. This is a dumb argument though because anyone who sees "TF2" in the Apex thread and thinks "Team Fortress 2" is probably a wee bit touched in the head.

It's probably because one is more culturally relevant and comes to mind first

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Speaking of Cs with the recoil chat. How was that csgo battle royale? It looked like trash, I'm guessing it was trash.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 15, 2019

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

Yup. It's why fixed recoil patterns are a terrible piece of game design, that some FPS games copy out of some cargo-cult mentality where "CS does it so it must be good".

Agreed. gently caress design that promotes mechanical mastery. I'd rather it be random.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Not really arguing, just giving my opinion on the matter - I don't really think there is a right answer here. What I really mean by cultural relevance is that people aren't really 'talking' about Team Fortress like they might be talking about Fortnite or Overwatch or whatever. It isn't something on the radar of anyone outside of that enclosed group.

50,000 concurrent users for a game that old (or even a modern game, really) isn't bad at all, but I do think calling Team Fortress 2 'popular' nowadays is a bit inaccurate despite that.

DatonKallandor posted:

Why is being able to master a mechanic in a game 'terrible game design'?

Small Bipedal Cat
Dec 12, 2018

DatonKallandor posted:

They're good game design. There's a reason all the serious competitive shooters use fixed patterns; CoD and R6S both switched to them. Any other method includes an element of randomness. It takes spraying from being an RNG bullet storm to a controllable, learnable pattern that adds to the skill ceiling. I don't see how you could possibly take issue with it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Haha I just found out Daybreak delayed the Planetside BR game's release date JUST before Apex Legends came out of nowhere. Bet they're kicking themselves now!

.... Although I kinda want to play it because I love Planetside. But Daybreak are responsible for H1Z1... So EEEEEEHHHH.

Small Bipedal Cat
Dec 12, 2018

panda clue posted:

Not really arguing, just giving my opinion on the matter - I don't really think there is a right answer here. What I really mean by cultural relevance is that people aren't really 'talking' about Team Fortress like they might be talking about Fortnite or Overwatch or whatever. It isn't something on the radar of anyone outside of that enclosed group.

50,000 concurrent users for a game that old (or even a modern game, really) isn't bad at all, but I do think calling Team Fortress 2 'popular' nowadays is a bit inaccurate despite that.

It's still the ninth most played game on Steam, beating out "popular" games like Warframe and Rocket League.

Just Chamber posted:

Speaking of Cs with the recoil chat. How was that csgo battle royale? It looked like trash, I'm guessing it was trash.

I enjoyed it. It was small-scale and janky but had a lot of interesting ideas with mid-match objectives (like Radical Heights) and non-combat tools like hammers for various tasks.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

panda clue posted:

Why is being able to master a mechanic in a game 'terrible game design'?

Because if you can just fire any gun full auto and be pinpoint accurate, why have recoil in the first place? Learning by rote which gun has which pattern isn't a mastering a mechanic, it's busywork - and it also defeats the purpose of having recoil on guns. Recoil in games exists so you can't just hold the button down at any range - fixed pattern recoil undermines that entirely. Turns out when every gun is a perfectly accurate laser, the only thing that matters is DPS and wouldn't you know it, that's exactly what's already happening in Apex at the higher levels.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 15, 2019

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

DatonKallandor posted:

Because if you can just fire any gun full auto and be pinpoint accurate, why have recoil in the first place? Learning by rote which gun has which pattern isn't a mastering a mechanic, it's busywork - and it also defeats the purpose of having recoil on guns. Recoil in games exists so you can't just hold the button down at any range - fixed pattern recoil undermines that entirely. Turns out when every gun is a perfectly accurate laser, the only thing that matters is DPS and wouldn't you know it, that's exactly what's already happening in Apex at the higher levels.

Why do you care, you're never going to be playing at those levels anyway.

beats
Oct 21, 2010
can caustic gas this thread

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

beats posted:

can caustic gas this thread

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

They copied CS and thats why shooting in this game is so good

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

if you can do the combo in street fighter every time why not just make the full combo happen with one button press? learning by rote which attack combos into which attack isn't mastering a mechanic, it's busywork

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Brother Entropy posted:

if you can do the combo in street fighter every time why not just make the full combo happen with one button press? learning by rote which attack combos into which attack isn't mastering a mechanic, it's busywork

Ed Boon! You should be working on the new Mortal Kombat

panda clue
May 23, 2014

DatonKallandor posted:

Because if you can just fire any gun full auto and be pinpoint accurate, why have recoil in the first place?

By this logic, why have aiming at all? Just have all guns autoaim with laser accuracy!

lmfao what the gently caress is this oh my god im dying

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This is going live now if you guys want to watch: https://boom.tv/codered

Lots of big streamers competing in this one too.

CaptainAssholay
May 23, 2001

Don't Think

Why is his gas tank talking though.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

DatonKallandor posted:

Mastering the spray of an AK in CS:GO is hardly easy. Most people just get the first few shots of a burst down; the people who can accurately full-auto in CS:GO are few and far between. It's absolutely a skill as much as the ability to click on heads is a skill.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 15, 2019

panda clue
May 23, 2014

CaptainAssholay posted:

Why is his gas tank talking though.

he put a speaker into it so she could hear him through the gas-tight walls, you fool

orange sky
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/RespawnJobs/status/1096090384239714305?s=19

Guys we didn't expect it to go this well come help us scale

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ed Boon! You should be working on the new Mortal Kombat

never have i been more insulted on these forums

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

*deep breath*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Final Code Red post - here is the shoutcasting stream where they bounce around between streamers:

https://www.twitch.tv/esportsarena

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Why do you care, you're never going to be playing at those levels anyway.

Unless there is MMR based matchmaking, yes, those people will show up in my game and murder me harder than I already get murdered.

Fixed recoil patterns seems like a bad idea to me but what do I know.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Songbearer posted:

*deep breath*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

hell of a rush, innit?

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Tei posted:

Without something new every week, this game will not survive. Even less in a world where Epic is going to respond to Apex with something.
epic already tried a hero shooter and it was such an abject failure no one even knew it launched. i cant even remember the name, something to do wit hcops?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

cargo cult posted:

epic already tried a hero shooter and it was such an abject failure no one even knew it launched. i cant even remember the name, something to do wit hcops?

Paragon, I believe. And it was actually a first-person MOBA, not just an Overwatch-style hero shooter. So I do not lament its demise.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Brother Entropy posted:

lol

Small Bipedal Cat
Dec 12, 2018

Ravenfood posted:

but what do I know.

Not a lot if you want forced MMR and RNG recoil. You're arguing for a sterilized grey wallpaper paste communist baby-game where the skill floor and skill ceiling are one in the same.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Not a lot if you want forced MMR and RNG recoil. You're arguing for a sterilized grey wallpaper paste communist baby-game where the skill floor and skill ceiling are one in the same.

So not random recoil is the sole defining factor on if a game is skill based?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

socialsecurity posted:

He's being hyperbolic to make a point (and he's right) - don't be a pedant.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Just seen the value of taking a triple take over the other snipers. In an intense close fight and your other guns out of ammo? Well you have a sniper that is also a makeshift shotgun with a pretty large horizontal spread when you hipfire

Small Bipedal Cat
Dec 12, 2018

socialsecurity posted:

It's a large factor. Again, I haven't seen any argument against it besides "It allows the skilled-men what have put in hundred of hours of play to kill me more easily."

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I've never played a BR game before but this one is really good, my PSN thing is Stahlzitadelle because I never thought I would have to use it for multiplayer

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Just Chamber posted:

Just seen the value of taking a triple take over the other snipers. In an intense close fight and your other guns out of ammo? Well you have a sniper that is also a makeshift shotgun with a pretty large horizontal spread when you hipfire

The bullet speed is also substantially faster than the other options, making the drop very minor (even at extreme distances).

Small Bipedal Cat
Dec 12, 2018
My ultimate Battle Royale Game:

100 players spawn in a Hectogonal pattern, facing one another. The map is flat and it is grey. There is no looting. The players all have the same gun, it is the only gun. It kills in one shot. There is no aim as some players aim better than others, so the gun aims itself. The players cannot move as positional differences in 3D space could create gameplay disparities.

This is my game. Thank you.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

It's a large factor. Again, I haven't seen any argument against it besides "It allows the skilled-men what have put in hundred of hours of play to kill me more easily."

Any reason you happen to dismiss that argument out of hand? I'm not trying to argue some kind of truth about gaming design, I'm stating an opinion because yeah, there's a point where I won't have as much fun playing when I lose like that because my job isn't literally playing videogames. High skill ceilings are cool, agreed, but I also think that the higher you make the ceiling, the more things like matchmaking become important.

I'm also not particularly arguing for MMR, just pointing out that "you're a bad so why does a high skill ceiling matter" is a bad argument when there isn't any mmr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

My ultimate Battle Royale Game:

100 players spawn in a Hectogonal pattern, facing one another. The map is flat and it is grey. There is no looting. The players all have the same gun, it is the only gun. It kills in one shot. There is no aim as some players aim better than others, so the gun aims itself. The players cannot move as positional differences in 3D space could create gameplay disparities.

This is my game. Thank you.

Just verifying, is this in response to some guy not wanting randomized recoil patterns, or wanting them. Because obviously both of them lead to this.