Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It was a scandal when he made Nextwave compulsory reading material for both schools and the Armed Forces.

Doom Patrol intro is cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK5oeV_JYy0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

No, just someone who has played and watched a bunch of spaceship games and movies. Those are scifi spaceships with a passing resemblance to the Gallente stuff from Eve Online.

"They are ships that are never in space, ergo, it is obvious that they are spaceships, because they look science fictiony."

I mean, good for you that you found a dumber hill than Batman's armour to die on.

Burkion posted:

Was NTR the one obsessed with RT scores last year or so?

Because I seem to remember that

NTR was the one who insisted that there was no reason for Batman to wear armour in a fight where he's thrown through several walls and doesn't die.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The MSJ posted:

Michael B Jordan knows his comics. When asked if he wants to be Superman, he says he wants to play Earth-23's President Calvin Ellis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvVyB25aOco

Love that dude

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Ben Affleck posted:

"I tried to direct a version of it and worked with a really good screenwriter, but just couldn't come up with a version – I couldn't crack it," he said. "And so it was time to let someone take a shot at it. They've got some really good people."

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a26350457/ben-affleck-batman-explains-why-he-quit/

:sigh:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean, that sounds pretty understandable, presuming that really is the reason.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I completely forgot he was going to direct it at one point.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Should have done a buddy flick with Aquaguy.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I don't really expect that's the reason.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
loving doom patrol isn't on netflix,gently caress sake.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

josh04 posted:

I don't really expect that's the reason.

I doubt it was any one thing. Probably a combination of there not being an obviously great idea presenting itself, then also the studio becoming increasingly worried about Affleck's reliability considering his issues, and I imagine also Affleck himself would've had an idea of how long he really wanted to spend doing this before moving onto other things with his career. When he took the job I think he always had in mind that he'd do it for a few years and then move on, he never seemed interested in being Batman for a decade+.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I will be sure to pretend to be completely surprised when the next Batman adopts “controversial” elements like the voice modulated cowl and the BvS warehouse scenes aggressively violent choreography, but gets praised because it all gets wrapped up in a safer and more “traditional” interpretation of the character.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It was also incredibly obvious just from interviews and press junkets that Affleck was supremely pissed about everyone ignoring Live by Night’s actual release in favor of discussing a Batman movie that may or may not happen.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Pirate Jet posted:

It was also incredibly obvious just from interviews and press junkets that Affleck was supremely pissed about everyone ignoring Live by Night’s actual release in favor of discussing a Batman movie that may or may not happen.

Yeah and the bad reception to BvS really hurt him.

He clearly wasn't ready for it to take over his life AND be super-controversial. Can't blame the guy. Hope he's in a good place mentally.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If being poorly recieved in a role put a strain on Ben Affleck, the dude would've quit acting 20 years ago.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If being poorly recieved in a role put a strain on Ben Affleck, the dude would've quit acting 20 years ago.

I dunno, he seemed affected by what happened with Daredevil enough that he stayed away from those kind of roles for a long time. It must've been very very frustrating to fight your way back to the top with some directorial success, only to then get tossed all the way off the mountain again because people hated a few superhero flicks.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think poo poo is much more vicious nowadays. 15 years ago the only kind of place that was throwing out the venom was AintItCoolNews, now that's standard.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

He was also going through a public divorce and having a relapse into alcoholism. Also while he was trying to promote Live by Night he was repeatedly getting questions about BvS and Justice League and the future of the Batman series, and then subsequently Live by Night flopped.

Like as bad as the Daredevil backlash was, it had to have been like a bad dream to have to relive similar backlash while also going through some personal problems and to just have the whole thing be inescapable. There was a good while where the dude couldn't talk about anything except Batman.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Daredevil was a better movie than Beavis and probably Live By Night, though I didn't watch it

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

There was a pretty solid article written about Affleck a couple of years ago, I can’t remember where it was published, that outlined his long struggle with self-esteem issues. Apparently stuff like Daredevil and Gigli and Jersey Girl hit him particularly hard, and he fought hard to get back to a place of legitimacy through directing. But like, you get the chance to play Batman, you can’t really turn that down. Unfortunately the broad response was what it was.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It had to have been utterly surreal to hear the kind of backlash that everyone hated BvS and JL and DC, while it was seemingly all anyone ever wanted to talk to him about (certainly not a situation the posters in this thread can imagine lol)

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Guy A. Person posted:

There was a good while where the dude couldn't talk about anything except Batman.

Someone buy Ben Affleck an account he'll fit right in here!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fart City posted:

There was a pretty solid article written about Affleck a couple of years ago, I can’t remember where it was published, that outlined his long struggle with self-esteem issues. Apparently stuff like Daredevil and Gigli and Jersey Girl hit him particularly hard, and he fought hard to get back to a place of legitimacy through directing. But like, you get the chance to play Batman, you can’t really turn that down. Unfortunately the broad response was what it was.

Imagine looking like Ben Affleck and having tens of millions and still struggling with self-esteem issues. The human mind can truly be a prison.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I know this is a tangent but what were peoples' thoughts here about Live By Night. I really like Ben Affleck and I know it got bad reviews but I stopped trusting critics years ago and find I tend to enjoy the analysis and opinions of people here. So did anyone on CineD watch it and is it worth giving it a shot?

Also Affleck leaving Batman is loving tragic and makes me really sad that the DC movies are increasingly distanced from MoS and BvS's takes on the characters. Losing Affleck is I think the last straw. I'm willing to give movies like Shazam a chance but it just isn't the same.

AFoolAndHisMoney fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 15, 2019

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

RBA Starblade posted:

Daredevil was a better movie than Beavis and probably Live By Night, though I didn't watch it

I dare (heh) you to watch Daredevil again right now, and come back and state this again with a straight face. Like, the soundtrack alone elevates BvS above Daredevil, unless you're a 90's buttrock masochist. Also, Daredevil (the movie) is loving ugly, on its own but especially compared to BvS. Colin Farrell is easily as annoying as Luthor, and Luthor's behavior at least had a point beyond "those crazy Irish, eh?"

The only thing Daredevil has that BvS needs is Michael Clark Duncan. But that's meaningless because the same thing could be said for all other movies not featuring Michael Clark Duncan.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Imagine looking like Ben Affleck and having tens of millions and still struggling with self-esteem issues. The human mind can truly be a prison.

The tens of millions definitely contributes to whatever issues you have. Wealth is poison to the soul.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h09ydGGsh28

Like, what the gently caress? Bullseye kills a grandpa with a bunch of paperclips to show off how dangerous he is, like Irish Gambit with an even worse fashion sense. At least everybody in this clip looks appropriately hammered for the setting.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grendels Dad posted:

I dare (heh) you to watch Daredevil again right now, and come back and state this again with a straight face. Like, the soundtrack alone elevates BvS above Daredevil, unless you're a 90's buttrock masochist. Also, Daredevil (the movie) is loving ugly, on its own but especially compared to BvS. Colin Farrell is easily as annoying as Luthor, and Luthor's behavior at least had a point beyond "those crazy Irish, eh?"

The only thing Daredevil has that BvS needs is Michael Clark Duncan. But that's meaningless because the same thing could be said for all other movies not featuring Michael Clark Duncan.

I can't wake up

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

I know this is a tangent but what were peoples' thoughts here about Live By Night. I really like Ben Affleck and I know it got bad reviews but I stopped trusting critics years ago and find I tend to enjoy the analysis and opinions of people here. So did anyone on CineD watch it and is it worth giving it a shot?

It's loose and meandering and doesn't really add up to anything, and Ben Affleck is miscast in the lead, but it's also lavish, well shot, and has a couple really cool car chases that—while I don't know anything, so I don't know if it's actually authentic—have a distinct feel from using 1920s autos. If you like 20s gangster stuff and car chases, I'd give it a shot.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h09ydGGsh28

Like, what the gently caress? Bullseye kills a grandpa with a bunch of paperclips to show off how dangerous he is, like Irish Gambit with an even worse fashion sense. At least everybody in this clip looks appropriately hammered for the setting.

I think Colin was playing this scene in a campy comedy way on purpose. I mean, I hope so, because it worked! That was funny.

No question Snyder would have made the scene look incredibly beautiful as well though.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I find Colin Farrell's exaggerated performance probably the most entertaining part of the movie. I seem to recall Joey Pants being pretty fun too.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

loving doom patrol isn't on netflix,gently caress sake.

It's on Netflix outside the US after it ends on DCU, I think.

Just watch Umbrella Academy first.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Wendell posted:

I think Colin was playing this scene in a campy comedy way on purpose. I mean, I hope so, because it worked! That was funny.

quote:

Yeah, I find Colin Farrell's exaggerated performance probably the most entertaining part of the movie. I seem to recall Joey Pants being pretty fun too.

I mean, it is a funny performance if you look at it out of context. Matched with the melodrama of Daredevil's love/revenge story, it just doesn't work. It's like Farrell went for Adam West when he should have gone for Michael Keaton.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

I mean, it is a funny performance if you look at it out of context. Matched with the melodrama of Daredevil's love/revenge story, it just doesn't work. It's like Farrell went for Adam West when he should have gone for Michael Keaton.

Yeah, but the good poo poo is, like, where Joey Pants flicks a cigarette and it's the DD shape in gasoline, not Affleck moping about. Farrell is in line with the better parts of the movie. It's the other stuff that's wrong.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, but the good poo poo is, like, where Joey Pants flicks a cigarette and it's the DD shape in gasoline, not Affleck moping about. Farrell is in line with the better parts of the movie. It's the other stuff that's wrong.

Daredevil is among the first DVD's I have bought, I might need to find out if it's still working. I remember feeling happy to see Joey Pants, partly because he made me really hungry in The Matrix, but his scenes combined with Duncan's and Farrell's make up about 30% of the movie and everything else is either flashbacks to tragic pasts or love stories that got quite too real.

It should be interesting to have Daredevil as a double feature with Raimi's first Spiderman. Maybe I'll do that.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I actually picked up the Daredevil director's cut on DVD from a thrift shop for like 50 cents the other day, so maybe I should throw that on tonight and see what it's like.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LesterGroans posted:

I actually picked up the Daredevil director's cut on DVD from a thrift shop for like 50 cents the other day, so maybe I should throw that on tonight and see what it's like.

The 1989 live action "Hulk meets Daredevil" TV movie is up on dailymotion.com if you want an even older Daredevil film for comparison's sake:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x113967

It was supposed to be a backdoor pilot for an 80s Daredevil TV show that didn't eventuate.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

LesterGroans posted:

It's definitely got like 500% more Coolio in it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

The MSJ posted:

It's on Netflix outside the US after it ends on DCU, I think.

Just watch Umbrella Academy first.

I really hope so,i enjoyed titans alot.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The 1989 live action "Hulk meets Daredevil" TV movie is up on dailymotion.com if you want an even older Daredevil film for comparison's sake:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x113967

It was supposed to be a backdoor pilot for an 80s Daredevil TV show that didn't eventuate.

Also has the best live action Thor.

Nevermind, that was the incredible hulk returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SimonCat posted:

Also has the best live action Thor.

Nevermind, that was the incredible hulk returns.

The best part of The Incredible Hulk Returns is when the bad guys try to escape by helicopter and it takes off and Thor and Hulk both grab it as it's taking off and the entire combined might of The Incredible Hulk and Thor, God of Thunder is not strong enough to stop it from leaving because the movie has another twenty-five minutes to go.

Also Thor's scream whenever he transforms and Thor in general. :3:

I fuckin' love that movie.