Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cool netflix is finally producing things based on my personal data set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Get rid of the love part and then we're in business

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Mu Zeta posted:

The first episode of the Daniel Radcliffe/Steve Buscemi god show is free

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jcvU607KCM

Huh well that wasn't very good.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I kinda liked it. I know it's going to make some people loving furious and that makes me smile in 2019

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought it had quite a few laughs when I watched it, and I like the lead three cast members. Of course I am possibly a bit biased because it’s the Man Seeking Woman guy

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just finished watching Russian Doll. I have finnicky tastes but I can usually understand when everybody raves about something I don't like. This, I don't understand. On its central conceit: So how exactly did this time loop thing happen? Why does it stop at that specific moment at the start of the last episode? Is this one of those shows where we just have to mumble "yeah it's about people" or is there a more structural and satisfying explanation? What is so clever about this show that I'm missing?

I'm perfectly happy to accept that I totally missed a bunch of cool interesting stuff and I'm actively looking for cool interesting explanations that don't involve wild fan speculation. But my first take is this looks like more prestige TV with a capital c for Competency. Competent acting, competent writing, competent photography... Just enough you to keep you paying your Netflix subscription.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Has any time loop story ever explained exactly how and why it happened? Do you have the same problem with all of them or do you just not like the story/characters in this particular case.

I watched the first episode of Miracle Workers and was really liking it right up until it went full cliche and had them decide to make two people fall in love

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

So how exactly did this time loop thing happen? Why does it stop at that specific moment at the start of the last episode? Is this one of those shows where we just have to mumble "yeah it's about people" or is there a more structural and satisfying explanation? What is so clever about this show that I'm missing?

You just described every time loop piece of media

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Inspector 34 posted:

Has any time loop story ever explained exactly how and why it happened?

Stargate SG-1, Window of Opportunity.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

The first episode of the Daniel Radcliffe/Steve Buscemi god show is free

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jcvU607KCM

All hail the region block.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah I guess Edge of Tomorrow did as well

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think with other time loop media, they either make some attempt to explain the mechanics and structure or they don't try very hard and try to win through narrative and stylistic flourishes.

It doesn't seem to me like either is happening here. In fact, the show actively perpetuates the idea that it's a mystery plot that's building up to some grand revelation. You're constantly reminded by the protagonists that this is a search for the true explanation.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's no more arbitrary than Groundhog Day. There it happened to teach a lovely self centered rear end in a top hat to care about others, here it was to teach two differently miserable people that there were other, less self destructive ways they could live their lives.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Regy Rusty posted:

It's no more arbitrary than Groundhog Day. There it happened to teach a lovely self centered rear end in a top hat to care about others, here it was to teach two differently miserable people that there were other, less self destructive ways they could live their lives.

I was gonna make a mad post at him, but this sums it up- the show isn’t about time travel mechanics. It’s about introspection.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Inspector 34 posted:

I watched the first episode of Miracle Workers and was really liking it right up until it went full cliche and had them decide to make two people fall in love

Oh god yeah.

vvvv that wasn't me attempting to be punny

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 15, 2019

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Edit: Nvm. Yeah, Groundhog Day was just "A magical thing happened to Bill Murray for a while."

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 15, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

10000 years in the original draft, about 10 in the filmed version.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What’s even going on in the last three posts in this thread

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/HBODocs/status/1096469251924332546

I've read quite a bit about this, this story is absolutely bonkers and like a distillation of every hosed up, evil thing about Silicon Valley. The reason she talks like that and the reason she wears nothing but black turtlenecks is to emulate Steve Jobs. That is not her natural speaking voice.

100% fraud. At least the Juicero did what it said it did, though at outrageous cost and complication for the purpose.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

They’re really aging down the cast

So, this is kind of funny. It's not as different as you might think. Momoa is turning 40 this year, and Richard Jordan was 47, so there's a bit of age difference but not earth-shaking.

Here's how the other "younger" cast members stack up.

Paul - Chalament is 23, Kyle MacLachlan was 24-25
Duke Leto - Oscar Isaac 39-40, Jurgen Prochnow was 43
Lady Jessica - Rebecca Ferguson is 35, Francesca Annis was 38-39, plus Annis frankly looked stunningly young as Lady Jessica.
Chani - Zendaya 22, Sean Young 24

Here's where it gets interesting. There's a good chunk of the cast that's older than their 1984 counterparts.

Baron Harkonen - Kenneth McMillan was 52, Stellan Skarsgaard is 68!
Halleck - Stewart 44, Brolin 51
Stilgar - Everett McGill 39, Bardem 49-50
Rabban - Paul Smith 48, Bautista 50
Reverend Mother Mohiam - Siân Phillips 51, Rampling 73

Of course, there's still a ton of characters to go, but so far doesn't seem too far off. Also, it's kinda like the "Brad Pitt is older than Wilford Brimley was when he did Cocoon!" thing ... you have to factor in that people in the '60s and '70s lived like garbage rats and it aged them accordingly into the '80s. Granted, Patrick Stewart still looks good for 79, but he also looked 50 when he was 35.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I've read quite a bit about this, this story is absolutely bonkers and like a distillation of every hosed up, evil thing about Silicon Valley. The reason she talks like that and the reason she wears nothing but black turtlenecks is to emulate Steve Jobs. That is not her natural speaking voice.

100% fraud. At least the Juicero did what it said it did, though at outrageous cost and complication for the purpose.

Good thing she's still able to court investors for her new startup ideas! We came dangerously close to someone having a consequence for their actions.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Laterite posted:

Good thing she's still able to court investors for her new startup ideas! We came dangerously close to someone having a consequence for their actions.

She was indicted on nine counts of wire fraud and two counts of conspiracy to commit wire fraud in June, along with her former boyfriend who was also COO and president of Theranos, they're facing up to 20 years in jail.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Blacklist season 5 stupidity So Reddington with his vast resources never thought to follow the guy who has the one thing he wants in his house? Almost done with this. Only four more episodes.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

zoux posted:

She was 19 when she started that poo poo? Never let it said that this country doesn't have an aristocracy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

She was indicted on nine counts of wire fraud and two counts of conspiracy to commit wire fraud in June, along with her former boyfriend who was also COO and president of Theranos, they're facing up to 20 years in jail.

Yeah, I don’t think she’s getting investors anytime soon.

The whole thing seemed insane from the get go. The tests she was talking about need at least 10 cc’s of blood for a reason, those tests were never going to be something like a glucose stick with this century’s technology.

Lycus posted:

She was 19 when she started that poo poo? Never let it said that this country doesn't have an aristocracy.

She had an idea, and investors didn’t do the research. SV startups have a lot of money thrown at them since everyone hopes that for the 100 they fund, 1 will be the new Facebook. There were people who read her docs and were like “nope, that’s loving impossible” but there’s no story in that.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Also there are possibly two more seasons of Russian Doll to be made. If they do the mystery might be a bit more explained (or at least gestured towards in a satisfying manner).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

whowhatwhere posted:

Also there are possibly two more seasons of Russian Doll to be made. If they do the mystery might be a bit more explained (or at least gestured towards in a satisfying manner).

I’m really hoping it follows different people with a different plot because the one season there is was a great narrative arc and really hosed me up

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m really hoping it follows different people with a different plot because the one season there is was a great narrative arc and really hosed me up

It's gonna go the stranger things route and "these characters test well with subscribers, more with them"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Next season is gonna be them trying to get back to the same universe or timeline or whatever, imo

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Though that happened in the last shot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lycus posted:

Though that happened in the last shot.

Hmmm I don't remember reading it that way, I'll have to go back and take another look.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Yesssssss!!!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Gaunab posted:

Blacklist season 5 stupidity So Reddington with his vast resources never thought to follow the guy who has the one thing he wants in his house? Almost done with this. Only four more episodes.

I mean season 2(?) had some episode that was all about how Reddington breaks out of the US' super secret totally inescapable tanker ship prison, and yet in season 6 we're supposed to be concerned that he's in jail somewhere near Washington DC. It's not good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lycus posted:

She was 19 and all she had was an idea and massively rich and connected parents who were able to secure her funding.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Sirotan posted:

I mean season 2(?) had some episode that was all about how Reddington breaks out of the US' super secret totally inescapable tanker ship prison, and yet in season 6 we're supposed to be concerned that he's in jail somewhere near Washington DC. It's not good.

It is not but honestly season five is better than season four.

Elizabeth is really dumb.

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 16, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gaunab posted:

Elizabeth is really dumb.

That should be the name of the show

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

She had an idea, and investors didn’t do the research. SV startups have a lot of money thrown at them since everyone hopes that for the 100 they fund, 1 will be the new Facebook. There were people who read her docs and were like “nope, that’s loving impossible” but there’s no story in that.

Yeah the book Bad Blood gets into this in detail. Every step of the way people who knew the tech said it was unworkable and every step of the way stupid rich people tossed money at her ignoring the experts they brought in.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Yeah the book Bad Blood gets into this in detail. Every step of the way people who knew the tech said it was unworkable and every step of the way stupid rich people tossed money at her ignoring the experts they brought in.

Let's not forget the Scientology like reverse propaganda Theranos engaged in going so far as to try and destroy Tyler Shultz for whistling blowing. They did actually hound their chief scientist into committing suicide once he started trying to reveal that the tech was smoke and mirrors.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It had a lot to do with her being white and blond and traditionally beautiful as well. It really comes across in the book when you see all the old men line up to protect and endorse her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's gonna go the stranger things route and "these characters test well with subscribers, more with them"

Those characters are great. I could have watched Russian Doll if it didn't have a time loop gimmick and it was just a journey of self-discovery.

I don't even get the complaints about the time loop not making sense because it sure wasn't about that.