Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1096488031954055168

...shouldn't it be GIANT-MEN?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
when i read the headline i was like whaaa why, but having them disguised as frost giants makes sense

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think about Silk and it makes me a little sad because we had three really-good Spider-Women books at the same time for a while and now we don't. Down for Cindy to come back on a team.

Svensken
May 29, 2010

A Kung Fu bear :getin:

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I hope they keep Morgan Le Fay as part of Cresent’s backstory. She’s a pretty underused villain.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
How has Coates' Cap been?

I've enjoyed his Black Panther stuff (although I'm a few books behind) and I saw the first trade for his Cap run is out soon.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i really enjoy it. it's quite different from bp imo, one of like two books actually dealing with the fallout of secret empire, and unlike bp (esp in the first few issues) is very light on the words and monologues and lets the story be told through cap's actions while still maintaining a strong voice

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1096270326445395968

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

War of the Realms seems like it’ll have some fun tie ins. Is WoR getting its own book or is the main story just in Thor?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm pretty sure it's getting a miniseries.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I can only assume Asians and Asian-Americans feel about "Marvel's greatest Asian and Asian-American superheroes" the same way I feel whenever they trot out whatever forgotten baggage stereotype they last saddled Europe with the last time they wanted to go to Paris or Rome.

At least the characters from Future Fight feel like they were designed by somebody who was and was trying to appeal to Asian audiences (because y'know, they were). I would love for Europe to get a taste of that sometime. Oh look, it's Banshee. And Guillotine. Great.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yeah someone should ask that Greg Pak guy how he feels about Marvel's Asian superheroes

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Probably something to the tune of "I sure as poo poo would love to get away from "Master of Kung Fu." Ah poo poo, Marvel want him on the cover again? With nunchucks too? Well, at least they don't want Sunfire in this one."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I mean I suppose he could be lying but if you look at his Twitter he uhh does not seem to feel that way

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Nilbop posted:

I can only assume Asians and Asian-Americans feel about "Marvel's greatest Asian and Asian-American superheroes" the same way I feel whenever they trot out whatever forgotten baggage stereotype they last saddled Europe with the last time they wanted to go to Paris or Rome.

At least the characters from Future Fight feel like they were designed by somebody who was and was trying to appeal to Asian audiences (because y'know, they were). I would love for Europe to get a taste of that sometime. Oh look, it's Banshee. And Guillotine. Great.

I'm Puerto Rican. I dare you to literally name one Puerto Rican superhero. I mean I know all of them because there are a few. But I'm daring you name one. I'm not going to let you name sideways because he came out last year.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Covok posted:

I'm Puerto Rican. I dare you to literally name one Puerto Rican superhero. I mean I know all of them because there are a few. But I'm daring you name one. I'm not going to let you name sideways because he came out last year.

Dude before Miles and Robbie Reyes I could literally not name you one Latin American hero at all.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Vibe, fools!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Nilbop posted:

You would assume wrong. :shrug:

Like...I'm supposed to be offended about Shang Chi with nunchucks? Forreal?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Covok posted:

Skin? Yolanda Montez?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Now name one German hero. At the risk of stating the obvious, Nazis don't count.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Now name one German hero. At the risk of stating the obvious, Nazis don't count.

Nightcrawler.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Also Maverick.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Johann Kraus

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Nilbop posted:

This team originated in his Totally Awesome Hulk run and as far as I know it he wrote that story because he wanted to, and because he wanted in particular to write Asian-American Marvel characters hanging out and laughing and sharing common experiences instead of being white peoples' sidekicks or spin-offs. I don't think anybody was twisting his arm.

quote:

Ethnic representation and national representation are two different things. Kamala Khan isn't repping Pakistan, she's repping Jersey City, and a particular regional and religious slice of the immigrant experience. It's part of why's a main character-- she lives in proximity to 90% of the other superheroes, she has US-centric social and educational lives that North American readers can related to-- and Red Dagger, her crush from Pakistan, who lives in Pakistan is a supporting character. It's because most Marvel comics don't take place in Pakistan, just as they don't take place in Ireland or France. Representation of French-nationals in France is thin on the ground because, well, we see France rarely. Assembling a superhero League of Nations is a neat exercise but relatively far from the minds of most comic book readers, whereas ethnic representation within the US setting of most superhero comics is vital and urgently needed. I'll take eighty interesting new Asian-American characters who make an Asian-American teen feel seen and feel cool over one new character from Hungary who I could point to and say, oh, nifty, my great-grandparents were from there. (Also, pardon me, Guillotine, is great).

That being said I'd love to see more comics located in non-US locales-- something like Marvel U.K.'s stuff, a chance to let non-US creators tell stories about their own lives. But as it is I think being relegated to guest stars in travel arcs is going to continue to be de rigeur unfortunately-- New Super-Man being an interesting and very worthy exception.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I can see why on the surface the team Pak is writing here could raise concerns, but within the context of his existing stories about this group, I'm pretty confident that his intentions are noble and that this truly is a passion project for him, more about getting to tell stories about an interesting mix of Asian-American characters with interesting stuff in common and interesting points of diversion, than about scrabbling together a token squad.

Edit: Foolishly implied Banshee was a Scottish character, which was a legit dumb and offensive mistake, and which probably undercut the point I'm trying to make. Sorry, I'll do better.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 16, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

That one guy that Morlun ate in his debut story in Amazing Spider-Man.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Yvonmukluk posted:

That one guy that Morlun ate in his debut story in Amazing Spider-Man.

Ezeikel isn't German, was he? And I thought he faked his death in that story? It's been almost 17 years so I could be wrong.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Covok posted:

Ezeikel isn't German, was he? And I thought he faked his death in that story? It's been almost 17 years so I could be wrong.

No, there was a German superhero that Morlun was snacking on on his boat ride to New York in his debut arc.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

At the risk of stating the obvious, Nazis don't count.

So much for the tolerant left

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shang Chi rules wtf

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm just happy whenever Jimmy Woo shows up.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Archyduchess posted:

This team originated in his Totally Awesome Hulk run and as far as I know it he wrote that story because he wanted to, and because he wanted in particular to write Asian-American Marvel characters hanging out and laughing and sharing common experiences instead of being white peoples' sidekicks or spin-offs. I don't think anybody was twisting his arm.

Pak in particular makes a habit of introducing or significantly updating at least one Asian-American character in everything I've ever seen him write at Marvel, and usually doesn't throw a lot of publicity behind doing so. I remember his War Machine run brought back Suzi Endo, who'd previously been "Cybermancer" in Force Works, and made a point of stripping away a lot of the very '90s stuff from her original introduction.

Even the recently-concluded Weapon H featured Clay's wife Sonia, who somehow still managed to wear the pants in their family when her husband is often half a ton of Adamantium and Hulk genes.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Archyduchess posted:

Pak inventing Asian heroes who's connection to Asia was their heritage instead of their gimmick or power-set should send a pretty huge message.

quote:

Ethnic representation and national representation are two different things. Kamala Khan isn't repping Pakistan, she's repping Jersey City, and a particular regional and religious slice of the immigrant experience.

She's pretty obviously doing all of the above. Kamala's Pakistani heritage is one of the more interesting beats of the character because it's done well. It's not Irish superhero Shamrock, who was the daughter of an IRA man, whose power was "the Luck of the Irish" and who suffered from alcholism.

quote:

It's part of why's a main character-- she lives in proximity to 90% of the other superheroes, she has US-centric social and educational lives that North American readers can related to-- and Red Dagger, her crush from Pakistan, who lives in Pakistan is a supporting character. It's because most Marvel comics don't take place in Pakistan, just as they don't take place in Ireland or France.

I'm aware of that. I don't think it's a lot to ask to not have fans from those areas represented by offensive stereotypes or ludicrously lame and outdated notions.

In a recent issue of Avengers T'Challa has called together what he calls "the greatest heroes the world has to offer" to Avengers HQ and it's a veritable who's that of 1950s stereotypes. We had Sunfire (Land-of-the-Rising-Sun-based fire hero who's uniform was the flag of the Imperial Japanese Navy), Ursa Major (alcoholic bear-man from Russia), Shaman (Canadian First Nations with a "magic medicine bag"), Arabian Knight (who has a magic carpet and scimitar), Sabra, the Collective Man (a Chinese hive-mind?) and of course, Captain Britain. That's pretty disheartening for a non-American fan to see being touted as "the greatest heroes the world has to offer", and more than a little embarassing.

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 16, 2019

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Nilbop posted:

I'm aware of that. I don't think it's a lot to ask to not have fans from those areas represented by offensive stereotypes or ludicrously lame and outdated notions.

In a recent issue of Avengers T'Challa has called together what he calls "the greatest heroes the world has to offer" to Avengers HQ and it's a veritable who's that of 1950s stereotypes. We had Sunfire (Land-of-the-Rising-Sun-based fire hero who's uniform was the flag of the Imperial Japanese Navy), Ursa Major (alcoholic bear-man from Russia), Shaman (Canadian First Nations with a "magic medicine bag"), Arabian Knight (who has a magic carpet and scimitar), Sabra, the Collective Man (a Chinese hive-mind?) and of course, Captain Britain. That's pretty disheartening for a non-American fan to see being touted as "the greatest heroes the world has to offer", and more than a little embarassing.

Haha, I just read that issue. To be fair, Russia sent the bear as a gently caress You to T'Challa. But yeah, the rest of that scene was pretty dire. Nice table of D-and-F-Listers you've rounded up to try and show T'Challa is thinking on a global scale when all it really does is emphasize "Go to America or be a nobody". Canada has one of the most-recognizable superheroes of all time but he only ever goes back home when he's feeling broody or there are Wendigo Problems. And is there even such a thing as a First Nations super whose powers aren't mystical in any respect? Even the brand new girl Snowguard's powered by some Inuit deity or something.

But I dunno, what percent of Marvel's books are being purchased in the states? 95? 99? I find it hard to fault them for setting the hub of their shared universe in their own country of origin, and really, city. I bet 3/4 of the Marvel canon takes place in NYC.

quote:

She's pretty obviously doing all of the above. Kamala's Pakistani heritage is one of the more interesting beats of the character because it's done well. It's not Irish superhero Shamrock, who was the daughter of an IRA man, whose power was "the Luck of the Irish" and who suffered from alcholism.
God, I swear Kamala is a masterclass on how to do Immigrant Superhero (or Superhero who is the child of immigrants, I struggled on how to word that) properly. I feel like any other creator would have her stodgy older brother turn into a terrorist-sympathizer or some poo poo, and her power would have something to do with the moon or her proximity to Mecca.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Imagine a world where John Byrne or Chuck Dixon got to write Kamala.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Rhyno posted:

Imagine a world where John Byrne or Chuck Dixon got to write Kamala.

Absolutely not, I refuse.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Nilbop posted:

Pak inventing Asian heroes who's connection to Asia was their heritage instead of their gimmick or power-set should send a pretty huge message.

It's bullshit to keep using mediocre Canadian superheroes when we live in a world with Stallion Canuck.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This doesnt really sound like a guy who's being forced into it to me but

https://twitter.com/gregpak/status/1096459623123599362?s=19

https://twitter.com/gregpak/status/1096543829585481728?s=19

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Everyone knows that I used Pak's new book as a springboard to talk about representation of non-American heroes in general and not Pak specifically, right? I feel like I've been clear about this, even going so far as to cite Pak's creation of non-stereotyped heroes as a reaction to this problem.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nilbop posted:

Everyone knows that I used Pak's new book as a springboard to talk about representation of non-American heroes in general and not Pak specifically, right? I feel like I've been clear about this, even going so far as to cite Pak's creation of non-stereotyped heroes as a reaction to this problem.

that's a nice backpedal but no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I think you might just be a bit thick.