Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I feel like they're going to really start exploring the issue of intractable differences between people and culture, existing in the same space. Using Klyden, who's really holding up the moclan ways, and Bortus who's becoming increasingly 'woke', to display it on a smaller human scale in the midst of the bigger conflicting interests of moclans and other union races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I think they're doing a slow burn to a war with the Moclans.

And how wonderful is it that this entire season has featured no real pew pew battles but just people dealing with poo poo in space. I love it!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Just watched the last episode and holy gently caress that was such a good goddamn episode. I can't even begin to gush, it's just... I loving got CHILLS when Bortus raised his voice. God drat what a good loving show.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Question: whose dick do you have to suck who must you experience the sexual event with to get above a "B" rating at A.V. Club? What are they after, if the stronger episodes of this season still only get middling reviews?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

PT6A posted:

Question: whose dick do you have to suck who must you experience the sexual event with to get above a "B" rating at A.V. Club? What are they after, if the stronger episodes of this season still only get middling reviews?

Honestly? I would say lower the lighting, do more fast cuts, have a season long arc, have a crew member betray everyone, and don't let Seth appear on camera.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I...kinda see where they're coming from. I'm not sure what's missing exactly, but this entire season has felt really low-impact. It's been mostly just interpersonal drama set on a starship instead of an apartment in New York or something. I've enjoyed it for the most part, but yeah, just about every episode has felt like filler so far. Sometimes the filler is fun to watch, but still. Have they tackled a single neat sci-fi concept this year? I suppose the idiot constellation planet kinda counts, but it wasn't as compelling as even the idiot social media planet from last season.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Scooter_McCabe posted:

So basically another progressive/liberal entity rolling over its own values to preserve something probably not worth saving.

Moclus is just like the Union's "Saudi Arabia": nothing about the cultural values line up at all, but holy poo poo do you want them on your side and not against.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Phenotype posted:

I...kinda see where they're coming from. I'm not sure what's missing exactly, but this entire season has felt really low-impact. It's been mostly just interpersonal drama set on a starship instead of an apartment in New York or something. I've enjoyed it for the most part, but yeah, just about every episode has felt like filler so far. Sometimes the filler is fun to watch, but still. Have they tackled a single neat sci-fi concept this year? I suppose the idiot constellation planet kinda counts, but it wasn't as compelling as even the idiot social media planet from last season.

I guess we have different expectations, then. I think it'd be cool to have those sorts of high-concept episodes, but "the show they made isn't the show I wanted them to make" is not, to me, a flaw to be addressed in the criticism of individual episodes.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The thing about Klyden is that he's not ever portrayed as selfish or unreasonable or anything like that. He's just conventionally Moclan.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/SethMacFarlane/status/1096472517470900224

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Epicurius posted:

The thing about Klyden is that he's not ever portrayed as selfish or unreasonable or anything like that. He's just conventionally Moclan.

Yeah, Klyden always acts much more friendly and open than Bortus its just that he has a totally hosed value system. It's like that one person you know that's always super helpful and friendly but then turns out to be some flavor of awful because of their horrible political/religious beliefs.

EDIT: Plus, I have to wonder on some level if Klyden became even more zealous about Moclan values after he learned he'd originally been born female because otherwise he'd have to accept Bortus' belief that what happened to him was wrong. So a Moclan who likes women might be doubly horrible to him because he's invested himself in the idea that he'd been born as a hosed up mutant pariah and here is someone who would have potentially loved the unacceptable being he would have been instead of the socially correct one he was made to be.

Bob Quixote fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 16, 2019

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bob Quixote posted:

Yeah, Klyden always acts much more friendly and open than Bortus its just that he has a totally hosed value system. It's like that one person you know that's always super helpful and friendly but then turns out to be some flavor of awful because of their horrible political/religious beliefs.

he's Kilngon Chris Pratt!!!!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Bob Quixote posted:

Right, that's the thing. Klyden is more friendly and open than Bortus. He's just, like most people, trapped by his culture and has never really questioned its values. But still, if I needed somebody to help me move a couch, I'd definitely pick Klyden.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
To the people complaining about personal drama episodes, it's all but confirmed next week is part 1 of a big sci-fi adventure two parter.

Maybe they downplayed sci-fi adventure to build up to the two parter.

Also, did everyone forget All That Left In The World Is The Fishes? Essentially Enemy Mine meets The Orville?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

PT6A posted:

I guess we have different expectations, then. I think it'd be cool to have those sorts of high-concept episodes, but "the show they made isn't the show I wanted them to make" is not, to me, a flaw to be addressed in the criticism of individual episodes.

I don't know if it's fair to call it "the show I wanted them to make," when it's what the entire setting of the show leads you to expect. It's Star Trek. This season has felt really heavy on relationship drama and very light on Star Trek-style space adventures. Just about every episode has felt like a "filler" episode of Star Trek. It's not even very funny, for the most part. It seems like a waste of the setting to do workplace drama played almost completely straight.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

don't let Seth appear on camera.

On one hand, I feel bad for Seth because I feel like he will always have Family Guy hanging around his neck from one direction and the South Park guys deriding him in the other direction and people will forever just not like him because of all the backlash to FG.

Then I remember he has tons of money and will be fine and he doesn't seem to care.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Epicurius posted:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Also this episode was great, if your problem is "not enough technobabble" or "not enough space pew pew", Discovery is that away. :v:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
In a human society Klyden would wear a sweatervest and be a Baptist

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Mooseontheloose posted:

On one hand, I feel bad for Seth because I feel like he will always have Family Guy hanging around his neck from one direction and the South Park guys deriding him in the other direction and people will forever just not like him because of all the backlash to FG.

Then I remember he has tons of money and will be fine and he doesn't seem to care.

Tons of money, dates crazy hot famous women, and gets to play Star Trek for a living... so yeah I think he's doing aight.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
This could have been the Mercer show and instead it's the Bortus show and McFarland deserves credit for that.

Might be reaching peak Bortus though. I know my first reaction to them visiting Moclus again was not of eager excitement. Episode was still good though.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Peak Bortus and Peak Moclus are two different things.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I feel like this show's TNGness has sort of inadvertently conditioned us to expect the Moclan-centric episodes to occur over a 7 season series and having them so close together in reality is glitching people out

I loving love how this show feels like it's building to something on top of everything else it's doing and I'm going to be heartbroken when they're inevitably cancelled

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.
I hope the Krill are just a plot misdirection and won't actually be the big bad in a war arc. Doing an inter-union civil war/conflict makes so much more sense thematically with the show.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

curveball option - the eventual war will be with the moklans and the krill will split in a reconcilliation faction and a "murder in the name of avis" faction. This split leads to the race getting overwhelmed by the space orks

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Apparently the Flower guy was Bruce WIllis

https://comicbook.com/startrek/2019/02/15/the-orville-bruce-willis-cameo-katrudian-flower

Also I certainly said "Ha ha! Cookies on dowels!" when they said cookie bouquet.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

bring back old gbs posted:

he's Kilngon Chris Pratt!!!!

Oh boy. Whats the deal with Chris Pratt?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Thundercracker posted:

He's a member of a vehemently anti-gay church. Moreso than a typical church.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Pakled posted:

He's a member of a vehemently anti-gay church. Moreso than a typical church.

Was he like born into it like Beck with Scientology?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Thundercracker posted:

Was he like born into it like Beck with Scientology?

Nope, he's born-again.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Thundercracker posted:

Apparently his son was born with some bad medical problems and Pratt had a really bad time and joined a church that thinks gay people are bad and supports that gay conversion therapy poo poo.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah it was just a joke, Pratt is in a weird church but he's not done anything personally other than defending the church for being there for him.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

bring back old gbs posted:

Yeah it was just a joke, Pratt is in a weird church but he's not done anything personally other than defending the church for being there for him.

Except for defending the whole gay conversion thing which aside from being stupid leads to gay kids committing suicide.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

1glitch0 posted:

Except for defending the whole gay conversion thing which aside from being stupid leads to gay kids committing suicide.

I can’t find any evidence of this.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

My egg-orifice is ready.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Phylodox posted:

I can’t find any evidence of this.

He's still in the church, that's enough.
I'm absolutely down with calling Klyden a Moclan Chris Pratt.

Really enjoyed this episode and I especially enjoyed the Moclan version of the Orville. It'd be nice to learn that most species that have a proper military (so not the Xelayans) have similar design ships but with their own special design.

Although really I'd like them to explore the actual politics of the Union more. Who are the movers and shakers outside Earth and Moclan?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

watch talia start a loving war

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Taear posted:

He's still in the church, that's enough.
I'm absolutely down with calling Klyden a Moclan Chris Pratt.

Really enjoyed this episode and I especially enjoyed the Moclan version of the Orville. It'd be nice to learn that most species that have a proper military (so not the Xelayans) have similar design ships but with their own special design.

Although really I'd like them to explore the actual politics of the Union more. Who are the movers and shakers outside Earth and Moclan?

Yeah, I hope we get more into that, though I think they're really setting up the dynamics of the moclans within the Union, and we know a bit about the Xelayans role in the union (scientists mostly), but thats about it. Not that I can blame them, its only been like, 19 episodes so far in total, and theres been over 30 species shown to be in the union so theres a lot of places to go, but only so much time.

What I'd really like is... and I can't believe I'm saying this... but some orville canon novels that can have the space to flesh things out more.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm interested in The Orville expanded universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The performer for Captain Rechik has quite the voice.