Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

andrhars posted:

Got an American adaption called "Kingdom Hospital" that sucked.
So they stayed pretty close to the source material, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

So they stayed pretty close to the source material, eh?

You take that back, The Kingdom is the best Garth Marenghi's Darkplace prequel ever.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Simply Simon posted:

I read all the Star Wars EU books a bunch as a kid, so I also read the one where the gang hangs out on Chewie's home planet. In fact, it's only Leia, and she can't speak Wookie. The author came up with a clever solution for this problem: one of the wookies speaks Basic. Why don't any of the others? Simple: because that one wookie has a speech impediment that allows him to speak human words. Even as a kid I thought that was an extremely stupid asspull.

To be fair, my sister-in-law speaks perfect English because she can't roll her R's. It's a huge speech impediment in Polish, but it makes her English perfect. In Polish she uses an "L" instead of a trilled "R".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Watching "Heat" recently and I hate in movies when cops are all "we got nothing to take them in on or charge them with" when dudes are blatantly committing a crime. I think I was the only one that found the Deniro/Pacino coffee shop sit down forced.

Also, this helpless, powerless attitude has not been my experience with police at all, who can and will "take you and charge you" with anything they damned well feel like.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Al Pacino's character is a depressed coke addict so my reading of the film is that his cop character lived for the chase and his life would have no meaning when the criminal is caught.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Watching "Heat" recently and I hate in movies when cops are all "we got nothing to take them in on or charge them with" when dudes are blatantly committing a crime. I think I was the only one that found the Deniro/Pacino coffee shop sit down forced.

Also, this helpless, powerless attitude has not been my experience with police at all, who can and will "take you and charge you" with anything they damned well feel like.

The premise with Heat is more that Pacino is trying to connect the crew back to the murders of the guards at the beginning of the movie, and failing that at least catch them in the act of something in the same ballpark(like a bank robbery). So, for instance, they could've just arrested the whole crew when they were breaking into that warehouse at night, that's trespassing. But why, when all that does is tip them off and make them go underground?

I agree though that the Deniro/Pacino meeting is kinda unnatural and really was only there so that people could see those two share the screen together. It makes sense for Pacino's character but not really so much for Deniro, it's not really clear why he finds Pacino so interesting that he wants to have a face-to-face meeting with him.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Basebf555 posted:

The premise with Heat is more that Pacino is trying to connect the crew back to the murders of the guards at the beginning of the movie, and failing that at least catch them in the act of something in the same ballpark(like a bank robbery). So, for instance, they could've just arrested the whole crew when they were breaking into that warehouse at night, that's trespassing. But why, when all that does is tip them off and make them go underground?

I know. It was really egregious in Heat and there was no reason to worry about scaring them underground since everyone knew the heat was on anyway.

The whole "we got nothing to take em in on, chief" happens in a lot of tv shows and movies.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

movies have to perpetuate the myth of a just society

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I think that meeting in Heat was based on a true story. They also were holding out for something big instead of mickey mouse breaking and entering.

He's also white so there's that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm sure it's a rational irritation but- Spoilers for the 2016 movie Train to Busan- It sucks that the lovely fund manager father gets to live for a redemption arc but the true hero, the husband to the pregnant lady gets devoured holding back a horde of zombies. As well as the old lady's mother. Wow, I spoke too soon. Nevermind.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 21:22 on Feb 14, 2019

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

RareAcumen posted:

I'm sure it's a rational irritation but- Spoilers for the 2016 movie Train to Busan- It sucks that the lovely fund manager father gets to live for a redemption arc but the true hero, the husband to the pregnant lady gets devoured holding back a horde of zombies. As well as the old lady's mother. Wow, I spoke too soon. Nevermind.

I just hate the character that lets in the zombies because her sister is among them. I've always hated characters in zombie flicks that do this, it's the ultimate height of stupidity, and of course no one is watching them despite them clearly breaking down.

I don't care if about arguments of "oh but they just lost someone incredibly important, they're breaking down", from a writing perspective it's just a lazy way to have a safe situation turn into a catastrophe, you can see it coming from a mile away, and it's frustrating more than anything else.

See also: the zombie game Dead Rising, where a stupid old lady lets in hordes of zombies into a mall, killing dozens, because her dog was with them.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

skooma512 posted:

I think that meeting in Heat was based on a true story. They also were holding out for something big instead of mickey mouse breaking and entering.

He's also white so there's that.

They were literally drilling into the vault containing their target before stopping inexplicably from what I recall. Would not be hard for any DA worth their salt to pin that on them, even if they literally never held it in their hands.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They didn't stop for no reason, one of the SWAT members was trying to get comfortable sitting down in the truck and fell, making a shitload of noise and alerting DeNiro's character.

EDIT: Also, it's not like bigger police departments and federal agencies like the FBI don't gladly overlook smaller infractions in order to get bigger arrests and/or information leading towards bigger arrests. poo poo, just look at Whitey Bulger.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Morpheus posted:

I just hate the character that lets in the zombies because her sister is among them. I've always hated characters in zombie flicks that do this, it's the ultimate height of stupidity, and of course no one is watching them despite them clearly breaking down.

I loved it and I remember people in my theater cheering when that happened. Just a big "eat poo poo" move on everyone.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They didn't stop for no reason, one of the SWAT members was trying to get comfortable sitting down in the truck and fell, making a shitload of noise and alerting DeNiro's character.

EDIT: Also, it's not like bigger police departments and federal agencies like the FBI don't gladly overlook smaller infractions in order to get bigger arrests and/or information leading towards bigger arrests. poo poo, just look at Whitey Bulger.

Or Robert Mueller III letting sammy the bull get off relatively extremely lightly in order to finally bring down John Gotti.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I don't care if about arguments of "oh but they just lost someone incredibly important, they're breaking down", from a writing perspective it's just a lazy way to have a safe situation turn into a catastrophe, you can see it coming from a mile away, and it's frustrating more than anything else.

See also: the zombie game Dead Rising, where a stupid old lady lets in hordes of zombies into a mall, killing dozens, because her dog was with them.

I mean that part's fair. I liked them because they're the only one who was able to catch onto the villainous ways of the COO and how he was happy to sacrifice everyone and anyone he could at every opportunity.

Saintv77
Aug 5, 2008

Morpheus posted:

This scene went way over your head.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Like the joke about the airplane

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Basebf555 posted:

I agree though that the Deniro/Pacino meeting is kinda unnatural and really was only there so that people could see those two share the screen together. It makes sense for Pacino's character but not really so much for Deniro, it's not really clear why he finds Pacino so interesting that he wants to have a face-to-face meeting with him.

The movie was actually a remake of an earlier Mann film, and it had that scene in it apparently.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Mu Zeta posted:

Al Pacino's character is a depressed coke addict so my reading of the film is that his cop character lived for the chase and his life would have no meaning when the criminal is caught.

So a reverse Joker?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Biplane posted:

movies have to perpetuate the myth of a just society

That's what makes LA Confidential such a gem

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Saintv77 posted:

This scene went way over your head.

Can you explain it to me, then - I watched the movie over a year ago and I don't really remember the details of it, just that everything fucks up because of that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wanna see a crime film where the cops just arrest the main criminal at the start for something trivial and/or trumped up and then they spend two years in jail awaiting trial because they can't afford bail only for the judge to throw it out when they finally get a trial.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

FreudianSlippers posted:

Wanna see a crime film where the cops just arrest the main criminal at the start for something trivial and/or trumped up and then they spend two years in jail awaiting trial because they can't afford bail only for the judge to throw it out when they finally get a trial.

21 Jump Street does this except they get out immediately

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Law Abiding Citizen, kinda.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Morpheus posted:

Can you explain it to me, then - I watched the movie over a year ago and I don't really remember the details of it, just that everything fucks up because of that.

She opened the door because she wanted to die/be a zombie with her sister, because her sister was the only family she had left. Not the usual "They might still be inside that cannibal corpse!" reason.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also that scene in Dead Rising is intended to be that staggeringly stupid to get you into the games weird tone. One of the final skills you unlock is the Sean of the Dead pretend to be a Zombie walk.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
There's no way the Dead Rising scene wasn't satirical.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Schubalts posted:

She opened the door because she wanted to die/be a zombie with her sister, because her sister was the only family she had left. Not the usual "They might still be inside that cannibal corpse!" reason.

Oh. Cool, gently caress her then, even worse. Like a bus driver with a bus full of people that drives off a cliff because they want to die.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
In shows where a character can't talk and has to write down something, they never write in full sentences; just single words and gesturing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Oh. Cool, gently caress her then, even worse. Like a bus driver with a bus full of people that drives off a cliff because they want to die.

Oh my god, everyone's misreading that scene, it's incredible.

She opened the door to say gently caress you to the group of people she was in the train car with because they sucked and got her sister killed based on panic that someone might be infected. Like, they were right at the door banging on asking them to open it up and they had it tied to keep it from opening. If they'd opened up they could've slipped in and closed it and the movie would've been basically over at that point because their aggression is based on sight and without a target the zombies are pretty docile aside from pacing back and forth.

Spoilers for the movie Train to Busan, view these links at your own risk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqF8wUxCKto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qY6tGAzj9s

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 08:22 on Feb 17, 2019

This guy
Jul 29, 2007
YES
It's good that everyone in that train car got ate. They were shitbags

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Oh my god, everyone's misreading that scene, it's incredible.

She opened the door to say gently caress you to the group of people she was in the train car with because they sucked and got her sister killed based on panic that someone might be infected. Like, they were right at the door banging on asking them to open it up and they had it tied to keep it from opening. If they'd opened up they could've slipped in and closed it and the movie would've been basically over at that point because their aggression is based on sight and without a target the zombies are pretty docile aside from pacing back and forth.

Spoilers for the movie Train to Busan, view these links at your own risk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqF8wUxCKto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qY6tGAzj9s

Okay, thanks, that makes more sense.

Edit: still think it's a dumb move, writing-wise, but at least it's vengeful and not the "oh I'll let this person I love in!"

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Morpheus posted:

Okay, thanks, that makes more sense.

Edit: still think it's a dumb move, writing-wise, but at least it's vengeful and not the "oh I'll let this person I love in!"

It's especially cathartic because it happens right after the passengers vote to kick the other survivors out of the train because of the slimeball fuckhead.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

All these documentaries coming out recently about Russian scandals have been using the backwards "R" from the Cyrillic alphabet to stylize their titles, which I get. It's easy to signify that "some real poo poo about assassinations and illegal annexations is going to happen in this film" by just turning the R around.

But if you actually speak a language that uses Cyrillic it looks stupid as poo poo

Seeing

Icaяus (ick-a-ya-yus)

annoys the hell out of me.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

God Hole posted:

All these documentaries coming out recently about Russian scandals have been using the backwards "R" from the Cyrillic alphabet to stylize their titles, which I get. It's easy to signify that "some real poo poo about assassinations and illegal annexations is going to happen in this film" by just turning the R around.

But if you actually speak a language that uses Cyrillic it looks stupid as poo poo

Seeing

Icaяus (ick-a-ya-yus)

the land of race car я я’s
the land where you can’t change lanes

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

God Hole posted:

Seeing

Icaяus (ick-a-ya-yus)

See also MY BIG FAT GRSSK WSDDING

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

God Hole posted:

Seeing

Icaяus (ick-a-ya-yus)

i always knew it wasn't right, but i didn't realize just how weird it was until i started learning russian last year and it just seems like there's no really good solution from a design standpoint, right? you can either use cyrillic characters that sort of look similar but make no sense phonetically like in your example, or you can transliterate phonetically and end up with something like икарус or икарюс (idk, i'm new at this) which gets looks like "nik-a-pik" or something if you don't know a cyrillic language. or third option is use a soviet-era looking font like red october, but that feels like locking yourself into the equivalent of a 50s reader's digest ad aesthetic and ignoring every design trend of the culture since then, which may not fit. i'm sure someone's written some theories about this, i just haven't seen them yet.

now i want to learn about inter-lingual design choices, i should probably ask in cc

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
It's irrational because the over-explaining alternative is also annoying, but I hate it when prequels drop references to the "future" characters and expect you to remember why what is happening will eventually be significant. In the second Fantastic Beasts, I've read harry potter well over a dozen times and probably seen the movies around that much too, and even I had trouble following what the hell was going on. I mean Dumbledore and Mcgonnagal were obvious but a lot of times I was like "wait what" and had to read the wiki plot summary to make sure I was following what is going on properly.

also I have to reiterate my irritation with Newt from the first one: that tilty thing he keeps doing with his head. It's supposed to be endearing or something I guess but it just makes me wonder if he experienced some kind of brain injury from one of his beasts when he was young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I keep thinking Newt is supposed to be autistic or something.